Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
An important element of landscape design is green areas of lush grass, which can serve as a separate decoration or complement a flower bed, framing sites. You can play on the lawn, just sit or lie down. But the owners of country houses, summer cottages and cottages are often faced with the fact that after the first year of operation, the grass begins to dry and 'bald spots' are formed. Let's figure out how to choose lawn grass and look at the best growers to help you purchase seeds or rolls for your lawn.
- How to choose lawn grass
- Rating of the best lawn grass producers
- Top lawn seed growers
- Jacklin seed
- Green Meadow
- The best roll turf manufacturers
- Queens grass international
- Russian lawns
How to choose lawn grass
To learn how to choose lawn grass, remember a few key factors:
- Purpose of the lawn. The grass can only play a decorative role, or serve as a platform for rest, passage. Depending on this, the resistance of the grass to jamming is selected.
- Climatic conditions. Since the grass for the lawn is perennial, frost resistance of the crop is important in regions with cold winters. If there are many trees on the territory of the cottage, then the ability to grow in the shade is required.
- Reproduction method. In the case of a Mauritanian tall lawn, the grass will multiply from the maturing seeds. If the cover is short and intended for play, then it is important to choose a variety that grows due to the root system, since the top will be constantly mowed.
- Root system power. On a flat area, this does not matter, but on a slope it is important to plant grass with strong roots so that it keeps the soil from shifting.
- Growth rate. This parameter affects how often you have to mow the grass. Some crops will need this every week, while others will need it once a month.
- Cover height and density. For the decorative function, lawns with a grass height of 7-30 cm are used.If it is supposed to rest on a green surface, it is better to plant low-growing varieties with a height of 4-6 cm.For active sports, a low lawn of 2-3 cm is needed. The denser the planting, the more beautiful will look like a lawn. The optimal parameter is 30,000 shoots per 1 square meter.
- Colour. The shade of the lawn grass varies from pale light green to dark green, so always check how juicy the color will be.
Rating of the best lawn grass producers
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||rating|
|Top lawn seed growers||1||DLF||5.0|
|The best roll turf manufacturers||1||Queens grass international||5.0|
Top lawn seed growers
Now let's talk about the best manufacturers who have already established themselves and received enough positive feedback from customers. If the timing of the landscape design does not “burn”, then use seeds that will sprout in one to two weeks, and gradually the site will be covered with a green carpet. Our experts identified the following 11 companies among seed producers.
The experts put the manufacturer DLF in the first place. The company has its own laboratories and is constantly testing lawn grass in order to develop varieties that are resistant to drought, dampness or frost. The manufacturer's catalog contains seeds for the professional decoration of sports fields, as well as grass for amateurs to decorate the yard. The company is also actively engaged in the production of seeds for forage lawns, which cause increased digestion and increase milk production in cows. The owners of country houses in the reviews like that the lawn turns out to be very dense and weeds do not break through it.
Our experts considered the grower to be the best as it has Quick Action seeds that are designed for those who cannot wait. This applies to cases where you need to quickly decorate the landscape after construction or have green grass on the site as soon as the snow melts. The lawn begins to germinate already at a temperature of +3 … + 5 degrees and it is immediately allowed to walk and run on it, and not wait for the grass to take root.
- takes long roots;
- grass with increased resistance to creases;
- the lawn remains green even with a lack of moisture;
- grows on its own and covers last year's bald patches.
- high cost of seeds;
- the first year you will need regular weeding;
- if you place a frame pool on it for 3 months, then the grass under it will die out.
The producer is ranked first in the selection and production of grass seed in Germany. The company is known for the constant growth of product quality and the invention of new varieties. That is why 25% of the company's employees are exclusively engaged in breeding. The manufacturer owns the patented 'Pearl' technology with a moisture-accumulating shell. Thanks to this, the seeds swell and germinate faster. According to customer reviews, it can be seen that the grass is distinguished by reliable germination, where after sowing there are no empty areas.
Experts have placed the manufacturer in the category of the best because of the special seed treatment technology, which affects the growth of grass and the strength of the lawn. Cereals are processed using the DynaSeed Power system. This implies saturation of seeds with bacteria, microelements, macroelements, growth stimulants, and gluminous substances. The manufacturer also adds germination stimulants and biological components to them. As a result, the amount of grass on the lawn exceeds that of other firms by 15%.
- IQ quality assurance system is used;
- special seed treatment technology;
- a large selection of herbs for their intended purpose;
- durable turf.
- high cost of production;
- most packages are from 10 kg – it is difficult to find small packs on sale.
This grower is the largest lawn seed research and development company in the United States. The corporation has been operating since 1936. Most of all, the company specializes in the selection of meadow bluegrass, but the range of products includes other lawn and fodder varieties of grass. The following crops can be found in the company's catalog: sheep fescue, perennial ryegrass, perennial ryegrass, red fescue, field sprouting, etc. The manufacturer provides a large selection of products for decorating football fields and golf courses, ennobling the local area.
In our opinion, the producer is the best due to the release of a special type of grass – modified red fescue. Thanks to cultural transformations, the company's scientists have managed to achieve erect stems with moderate stiffness. This allows the lawn to be cut to a height of 1.5 cm so that the green surface remains not too prickly and suitable for play. This type of grass can be sown mixed with others (red fescue Audobon, meadow bluegrass), which expands the design possibilities.
- a weakly expressed rhizome does not spoil the appearance of the grass upon close examination;
- large selection of lawn color, stem length and width;
- high percentage of germination 70-80%;
- dense herbage.
- almost all packages of 11-22 kg;
- does not tolerate static loads (swings, benches, etc. located on the lawn);
- high price.
The fourth place in the survey is taken by a Dutch lawn seed producer. The company has an official representative office in Russia. The company's own development is the Green Planet quality assessment system. Producer products with this logo mean less fertilizer, herbicide and fungicide use on lawns and less mowing per season. The company offers a choice of seeds for growing play lawns, Mauritanian and parterre. The owners of private houses in the reviews note that the herbs of this brand are less susceptible to disease.
Experts drew attention to the manufacturer in view of the release of the Grassc Seed grass mixture. It is a versatile lawn suitable for recreational and decorative purposes. It can be used to decorate the front of a building or backyard. The grass develops quickly after sowing and can withstand trampling. The main feature of the lawn is the reduced need for watering, which is suitable for those who often leave the city for work or travel in the summer.
- herbs from this manufacturer tolerate winters well;
- dense growth;
- rapid development from scratch;
- most green surfaces are playable and entertaining.
- the grass has a big difference in color between the one that grows in the shade and in the sun;
- minimum packing 5 kg.
The fifth position belongs to the German manufacturer, which started its activity in 1948 in Krefeld. Now it is a large company with international partners, so even exotic positions can be found in the range of herbs. The company produces 55,000 tons of seeds every year. For storage, 60,000 m² are used. The manufacturer's products are divided into four categories: grasses for agriculture, lawn grasses, bioseeds for biogas production and certified varieties of regional products. Buyers in reviews praise the products of the German company for the '3 in1' technology, which implies the presence of fertilizers in the shell of each seed. Thanks to this, the lawn of your dreams can be grown even in adverse conditions without much effort.
We considered the manufacturer to be the best due to the widest variety of products. In total, the State Variety Testing Commission has documented more than 150 varieties produced by this company, and issued the corresponding certificates. There is a very wide choice here that competitors do not have.
- produces in packages both individual grades of herbs and mixtures;
- laborious digging is not required for cultivation;
- packaging from 1 kg;
- there are grasses of the Rasenfix line for accelerated 'repair' of the lawn;
- use humic acid and nitrogen to strengthen plant growth.
- in the initial stages, daily watering is needed;
- on 10 m² you need to sow 3200 g of cereals.
Next, a grower that produces grass seeds for alpine slides, lawns around commercial and private buildings, and green lawns between walkways and sidewalks. The products are manufactured in Denmark and are available for purchase in different parts of Russia. Most of all, the manufacturer uses a variety of red hair-like fescue, which, judging by user reviews, does not prick when walking with bare feet. Sowing grass requires deep digging, soil fertilization and raking. For germination, a depth of immersion of seeds of up to 1 cm is required. Customers also note the optimal consumption of goods – 1 kg is enough for sowing an area of 40 m².
Our experts have listed the manufacturer as the best for the release of grass that grows confidently in the shade. Boxed products called Universal are capable of growing even at the very base of mighty trees. Pay attention to the manufacturer's products if a large shadow is thrown from your house on the yard or there are many trees in the territory.
- there is packaging from 1 kg;
- it is pleasant to walk on the grass, since it does not prick;
- fast germination – after 2 weeks already a green mat;
- excellent drought tolerance.
- deep digging of the soil is necessary;
- the sowing deadline is early autumn (early September).
This brand produces seeds that are positioned to create a lawn that requires less maintenance. The name itself alludes to the short length of the blades and the slow growth of the stems. The low growth of the grass cover is ensured by a specially selected composition of seeds, which has collected in itself: two types of red fescue, hairy fescue, meadow bluegrass, altered fescue, sprouting bent and thin fescue. This combination makes the lawn both dense and slows down its growth, which is confirmed by buyers in the reviews. Even due to the heterogeneity of the mixture, the lawn tolerates various climatic changes better, since some crops are more resistant to drought, while others are more resistant to frost. Slow growing cereals are not demanding on soil quality. They gradually develop a dense root system, which prevents the formation of bald patches.
The experts singled out this manufacturer due to the more economical use of the material during sowing. 1 kg is enough to create a lawn of up to 50 m². This consumption allows you to get by with one sachet of 0.5 kg in a summer cottage and not overpay.
- you will need to mow the lawn less often per season;
- no complicated soil preparation is needed;
- unpretentiousness to climatic conditions;
- forms a dense dense carpet.
- the initial germination of the grass is slower than that of other growers;
- can become clogged with weeds;
- bumps form on the site.
Behind the Geolia brand is the manufacturer LeroyMerlin. Under this brand, the company produces seeds for lawn germination, garden tools (secateurs, loppers), irrigation hoses and connectors. There is even soil on sale to dilute the composition of the soil at the summer cottage and increase the germination of crops. The manufacturer offers seeds for the creation of versatile, ground and sports lawns. The raw materials for the finished product are imported from Denmark. Most of all the company uses red and hairy fescue. In the reviews, summer residents share that it is not difficult to care for the lawn – in the spring, a little fertilization with nitrogen and combing out the dead leaves is required. You can mow the stems first up to 6-8 cm, and then up to 3-4 cm.
We considered the grower to be the best in terms of the release of seeds from which the lawn grows with a high resistance to stress. The herbal mixture 'Universal' from this company is suitable for creating a green lawn in the yard, where you can install a swing, barbecue and garden furniture. After removing these items, the grass quickly regenerates.
- consumption of 1 kg for 30-40 m²;
- juicy rich color of the grass;
- germination rate – 80%;
- endurance of the shadow.
- it is required to first remove all weed roots from the soil;
- if the seeds remain on the surface, they will be carried away by the wind;
- do not water with strong pressure.
But the domestic manufacturer, whose catalog includes about 50 types of mixtures for growing lawn. The assortment of the company includes 8 types of low-growing grasses, 6 variants of shade-tolerant lawns, 19 universal and 10 sports. The category of flowering lawns deserves special attention, where wild flowers grow in addition to green grass. This allows you to create a Moorish-style decor and beautifully complement the flower beds. The planting mix was developed at the EU Research Institute and contains 15 varieties in one package, including bone and sainfoin vicoli.
The experts liked the manufacturer's large selection of grass for sports fields. The company's catalog contains 10 products with a different composition of seeds, the seedlings of which are resistant to trampling and have self-healing properties. For example, the mixture 'Real sports' contains perennial ryegrass, fescue and bluegrass. Broadleaf grasses provide better protection against damage and cover the ground. If there are breaks in the coating, then the roots of ryegrass are able to tighten the bald patch. Fescue can grow with leaves to the ground, increasing the density of the lawn structure.
- there is packaging from 500 g;
- after 3-4 weeks there is a dense lawn;
- green coating does not fade all summer;
- durable turf.
- prone to bump formation;
- sometimes forage grasses come across as part of a football pitch.
It is another domestic seed producer producing cereals, fertilizers, feed additives and basic feed. The firm has been operating since 2010 and is located in Moscow. To organize a lawn in the yard of a private house or a public place, the company offers 7 separate varieties of seeds: bone, bluegrass, timothy, festulolium, hedgehog, ryegrass, fescue. There are mix options for different climatic conditions. Buyers in reviews praise the manufacturer for perennial crops with dense rhizomes, which helps to preserve the lawn despite severe floods. After one sowing, the grass can grow every year for 10 years. Withering areas are quickly replaced by fresh growth, which keeps the lawn looking good.
Our experts considered the manufacturer the best in view of the affordable wholesale prices and the corresponding product quality. The official website indicates the cost for 1 kg of bluegrass from 450 rubles, which is two times cheaper than a similar product from competitors. If you need to sow large areas with grass, then purchasing seeds here will save you a lot.
- high frost resistance;
- all types of grass are valuable from a fodder point of view and can be used as food for rabbits or cattle;
- early shoots are observed after 8-10 days;
- bright green color of herbs.
- only wholesales are available directly from the manufacturer;
- lawns tend to grow with tall spikelets;
- the grass grows quickly after mowing.
The company is known for its products with the hedgehog logo. The manufacturer specializes in the production of seeds for creating decorative lawns, sports fields, playing fields and flower beds. The catalog contains a large selection of Moorish lawns with daisies and other herbs. Buyers in reviews like the fast germination of seeds, where after 10-15 days a dense carpet of thin stalks is already formed. After 3 weeks, it becomes solid, covering the soil with itself. Due to its resistance to trampling, the green coating perfectly tolerates the running of children and pets. The manufacturer's products are divided into the categories 'Standard', 'Economy', 'Elite' and 'Premium', which allows you to immediately select a product at a price of interest.
According to the editors of the magazine, the manufacturer should be ranked among the best due to the release of a mixture for growing a lawn on clay soil. Such a soil is characterized by a high density and ordinary grass does not take root well on it. Developers of Green Carpet products have selected the optimal composition, including Italian and perennial ryegrass, which with their strong roots penetrate even into clay and are able to grow in high humidity conditions.
- packages from 0.5 to 10 kg;
- there are compounds for lawn 'repair';
- do not require fertilization;
- accelerated creation of new green fields in 10-15 days.
- during the growth period, daily watering is required;
- mowing is necessary once a week.
The best roll turf manufacturers
The most time-efficient way to decorate a landscape is to lay a roll lawn. It is grown by sowing grass varieties into loose structure mats. These products are cut, rolled up and transported to the place of stacking. In a few hours, you can refine the area up to 50 m². The finished roots immediately begin to grow into the ground, and after the lawn takes root, you can already play on it.
Queens grass international
The manufacturer has been on the market for over 40 years and specializes in the production of rolling lawns and tools for the care of green fields. To grow the cover on the mats, premium grasses are used from the global growers Barenburg and DLF. Rolls are made with turf thickness from 2 to 4 cm.
We single out this manufacturer as the best in terms of turf for large playing fields. The grass litter is very dense and soft at the same time. If you are looking for a lawn for a racetrack, golf course or polo, then check out these products. An indicator of the reliability of the company and its roll lawns is the cooperation on the design of stadium fields for the games of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in cities such as St. Petersburg (Turbostroitel stadium), pos. Roshchino ('Roshchino-Arena'). In Zelenogorsk and Lomonosov, such rolls are used to cover the field of Spartak stadiums. In Moscow, the Lokomotiv stadium was also equipped with products from Queens Grass.
- rolls are easily cut with a knife to the desired size;
- high-quality packaging of rolls with film between layers;
- fast laying due to the width of the lawn in a roll up to 1 m;
- cooperation with stadiums throughout Russia.
- you need to carefully slam the rolled roll to the ground so that the roots germinate faster;
- the gaps left between the strips are poorly overgrown.
But the counterbalance to the import companies is the domestic manufacturer 'Russian Lawns'. The firm is part of the Belaya Dacha trade group, founded in 1998. A nursery with an area of 1000 hectares is used to grow green carpets. The manufacturer's catalog contains lawns of the 'Economy', 'Classic', 'Etalon', 'Universal' series. The owners of private houses praise the 'Picnic' line in reviews, which imitates a natural forest lawn with forbs. It looks beautiful in the backyard or stalls and is allowed to walk on.
The manufacturer offers services for laying roll lawn using express methods. For this, big rolls with a width of 1.2 m and a length of 36 m are used. One roll can immediately cover 43 m². The company provides for this special machines that unwind and clamp the web. If you need to arrange a lawn on a large area in a short time, then consider this option.
- provide fertile soil;
- there are chips for decorating the landscape;
- the grass is resistant to trampling and disease;
- self-healing properties are faster than the overseeding technique.
- good illumination of the territory is necessary;
- lawns need regular watering and mowing;
- laying of big rolls is carried out only with specialized equipment.
This company has already been mentioned by us in the category of seed producers, but the company is also engaged in the production of roll lawns. The catalog contains about 40 types of such products. Products are divided into categories 'Urban', 'Elite', 'Universal', 'Sports' and 'Standard'. The roll thickness varies from 2 to 4 cm. In width, the manufacturer offers three options – 40 cm, 53 cm and 1.06 m. There are 8 varieties of strips and squares with a length of 1-2 m, which is practical for laying between trees and flower beds in the garden. For areas and courtyards in front of the facade, lawns with a length of 15 m are produced.The maximum indicator is a roll with a length of 25 m. In reviews, buyers especially praise subs with a thickness of 4 cm, which take root from the first days of lining.
Our experts liked the manufacturer for the affordable price of the products. Another feature is the 'grass-to-grass' turf during transport. This prevents the soil from contaminating with grass debris, as is the case with other manufacturers. These tiles can be used for opening special events, lining the edges of sidewalks with them or ennobling areas for wedding picnics.
- easy to fit by hand;
- you can perform turfing of disturbed landscapes;
- suitable for areas with intensive use;
- quickly takes root in the soil.
- if you immediately walk on a freshly laid lawn, you can ruin the surface.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.