Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Probiotics are products that contain live microbes that have a beneficial effect on the host's body. Previously, this term was understood exclusively as drugs. containing components of normal microflora, but now it includes any 'beneficial' bacteria, for example, thermophilic streptococcus or acidophilic lactobacilli. However, there has been a fierce debate about the benefits of probiotics for many years.
- Probiotics: pros and cons
- Ranking of the best probiotics for children
- The best probiotics for children under three
- Acipol baby
- Primadophilus Children's Reuteri
- Normobact L
- BioGaia, ProTectis, Baby, With Vitamin D, Digestive Health, Probiotic Supplement, 0.34 fl oz (10 ml)
- The best probiotics for older kids
- Bifidumbacterin 1000
- Regidron Bio
Probiotics: pros and cons
Modern medicine is quite wary of them. If not long ago dysbiosis – a violation of the ratio between 'beneficial' and 'harmful' bacteria was considered an independent disease requiring treatment, now this very concept is outlawed.
Dysbiosis – an altered microbial balance – is considered a secondary syndrome, that is, a consequence of some pathological changes. Therefore, taking prebiotics without eliminating the cause of dysbiosis is considered about as reasonable as scattering flower seeds in a wasteland overgrown with weeds: unprepared soil will prevent the seeds from germinating, or, in the case of bacteria, taking root.
In addition, there are still no clear criteria for the restoration of the microbiome: modern research methods do not allow to accurately determine the microbial composition inside the body. There is a huge difference even between what is obtained at the exit from the intestines and what reaches the laboratory, since many types of microorganisms simply die in the changed conditions. You have to focus only on the symptoms. Therefore, many experts simply declared any probiotics useless and categorically reject any reason for using them.
However, we note that experts from the World Gastroenterological Association still consider probiotics useful. For example, the use of probiotic drugs in complex therapy significantly reduces the severity and duration of acute infectious diarrhea (diarrhea) in children. A mixture of 4 types of probiotics and 4 types of fiber reduces the severity of hepatic encephalopathy.
The World Gastroenterological Association provides the following indications for the use of probiotics in children:
- Prevention and treatment of colic in newborns.
- Treatment of acute gastroenteritis or, in simple terms, food poisoning.
- Prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
- Prevention of intestinal infections in children attending kindergartens.
- Complex treatment of diseases caused by Helicobacter pylori (gastritis, stomach and duodenal ulcers, which are now common in children).
- Complex therapy of functional disorders associated with abdominal pain (for example, irritable bowel syndrome). These are conditions in which patients complain of pain, but when examining inflammatory or other changes in the gastrointestinal tract, doctors do not find it.
- Complex therapy of ulcerative colitis.
- Prevention of atopic disease in children with a hereditary predisposition (one or both parents suffer from neurodermatitis (eczema), bronchial asthma or allergic rhinitis).
- Reducing the severity of symptoms associated with lactose intolerance.
Based on these indications, as well as the recommended bacterial strains for use, we have compiled a rating of the best probiotics for children. These drugs are over-the-counter and can be taken before seeing a doctor to prevent problems or in emergencies such as food poisoning. But in any case, specialist advice is necessary. Therefore, in order not to provoke readers to self-medicate on the Internet, we divided the proposed probiotics into groups not according to indications, but according to the age of the intended consumers.
But for those of our readers who are not afraid of Latin names, we give specific strains of bacteria mentioned in the recommendations of the World Gastroenterological Association and the situations in which they are most effective:
- LG G or Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG – recommended for the prevention and treatment of acute gastroenteritis, nosocomial infections and infections in children attending kindergarten, functional gastroenterological disorders. It is now one of the most well-studied and popular bacteria that has proven effective in research studies.
- Lactobacillus reuteri – Along with LG G, one of the best studied bacteria, especially in pediatrics. Optimal for the prevention and treatment of infant colic, it is also used for the treatment of acute gastroenteritis and the prevention of infections in children attending organized groups. Can be used to prevent atopic dermatitis and necrotizing enterocolitis in children with a predisposition.
- Saccharomyces boulardii. Like the two previous strains, it can be used to treat acute gastroenteritis. It is also effective in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea, necrotizing enterocolitis, and in the eradication of Helicobacter pylori.
- Streptococcus thermophilus is effective in reducing the symptoms of lactose intolerance (and as such it can be used in regular, thermally unprocessed yoghurt). It can also be used in the complex therapy of functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract and ulcerative colitis.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum can be used to prevent nosocomial diarrhea, necrotizing enterocolitis in prematurity. In older children and adults – in the complex therapy of irritable bowel syndrome.
As you can see, the list of bacteria with research proven effectiveness is rather short. Therefore, in the following ranking of the best probiotics for children, readers will not find many highly publicized probiotics or preparations containing a complex of half a dozen or more bacteria. When it comes to drugs or dietary supplements, “more” does not mean “better”.
Ranking of the best probiotics for children
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best probiotics for children under three||1||Acipol baby||292 r|
|2||Primadophilus Children's Reuteri||731 RUB|
|3||Normobact L||RUB 478|
|4||BioGaia, ProTectis, Baby, With Vitamin D, Digestive Health, Probiotic Supplement, 0.34 fl oz (10 ml)||RUB 2,664|
|BEST PROBIOTICS For older children||1||Bifidumbacterin 1000||115 RUB|
|2||Regidron Bio||411 r|
The best probiotics for children under three
Preparations for babies of this age should be in drops or powder intended for dissolution. It is believed that a small child cannot swallow a pill, and even more so a capsule, at the risk of choking. In terms of the composition of the funds for children of this group, they often do not differ in any way from drugs intended for other ages, and often it is enough to open the capsule and dissolve the resulting powder in milk or water. But officially pediatricians have no right to recommend such methods. Therefore, we have allocated preparations for children under three years of age in a separate group of the ranking of the best probiotics.
Probiotic rating: 4.9
The oil suspension contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Bifidobacterium longum, which supports and enhances the action of lactobacilli. Before use, the bottle must be shaken to evenly distribute the suspension of microorganisms. Can be used for babies from birth. It is recommended to take 5 drops per day with meals, mixed with breast milk or formula. With this scheme, a 4.5 ml bottle is enough for a course of treatment recommended by the manufacturer of 14 days. You can store an opened bottle for no more than 3 weeks at room temperature or in the refrigerator (but not the freezer!).
- contains a strain of lactobacilli effective for the prevention and treatment of infant colic, acute gastroenteritis;
- enough for a course of treatment,
- according to the manufacturer, 14 days of reception is enough,
- can be stored outside the refrigerator, taken with you.
- high price.
Primadophilus Children's Reuteri
Probiotic rating: 4.7
50 g of powder containing Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium infantis, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus reuteri, Lactobacillus rhamnosus packed in a plastic can. The main effect is provided by the last 2 strains, the rest work as synergetics, that is, enhance the effect. Designed for children from birth to 5 years old, 1 teaspoon (3 g) of the product is enough per day, which must be diluted with water, juice, breast milk or formula.
Of the shortcomings, it should be noted the relatively high price of the package, which is enough for a little more than 15 days of use, with the recommended course of 2 – 4 weeks
- does not require special storage conditions,
- packing is enough for the minimum rate,
- allowed from birth.
Probiotic rating: 4.5
Contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and fructo-oligosaccharides – nutrients for these bacteria. Approved for use in children over 1 month old. The contents of the sachet must be dissolved in 100 ml of water, formula or expressed breast milk – and this moment, with all the advantages of a probiotic, raises many questions. Drinking 100 ml of liquid to a hungry baby with a spoon every day for two or more weeks is not an easy task. Recall that breastfed babies are not advised to give anything from a bottle with a nipple. It is easier to get food from there, and the baby may refuse to breastfeed.
The recommended course is 2 – 3 weeks.
- contains substances. supporting the vital activity of bacteria.
- must be dissolved in 100 ml of liquid.
- high price.
BioGaia, ProTectis, Baby, With Vitamin D, Digestive Health, Probiotic Supplement, 0.34 fl oz (10 ml)
Probiotic rating: 4.3
We have included this remedy in the list of the best probiotics for children, despite the fact that it can only be ordered online. This is one of the few drugs that combine a probiotic (lactobacillus Reiteri) with vitamin D. Such complexes are very convenient for parents, saving them from confusion and thinking about which drug has already been given to the baby and which has not. Allowed from birth, 5 drops are enough for a child under one year old. Before use, the vial must be shaken to evenly distribute the microbial suspension in the oil. The product can be stored in the refrigerator, but must not be frozen.
The tube lasts for about 1.5 months, if taken according to the instructions, 5 drops per day.
Can be taken from birth.
- complex effect: helps to reduce the intensity of colic and prevent hypovitaminosis D.
- you need to order online and wait for delivery,
- relatively high price.
The best probiotics for older kids
As we already mentioned, these drugs mainly differ only in the form of release. On the other hand, it is often much easier to give a child a pill or capsule than to dilute powder in water or mix the drops with milk.
Probiotic rating: 4.8
Contains Bifidobacterium bifidum and lactulose – a substance that serves as food for normal microflora. Since these are tablets, they are approved for use in children over 3 years old. Take 1 tablet 3 times a day with meals for a month. Despite the fact that with this scheme of application, the packaging is enough for 10 days, due to the low price of this probiotic, it still turns out to be more economical than most similar products.
- contains a substance that supports the reproduction of normal microflora.
- you need to take 3 times a day, which is not very convenient.
Probiotic rating: 4.6
This product is designed to restore water and electrolyte balance. Simply put – it is needed to solder children (and adults) with vomiting and diarrhea, restoring lost fluid and salt. Therefore, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and maltodextrin, which stimulates the growth and reproduction of beneficial bacteria, it contains glucose, sodium and potassium salts.
The package contains 5 paired bags: with, in fact, a probiotic and with electrolytes. Both packages must be dissolved in a glass of clean drinking water and taken orally. We remind you that in case of intestinal infection or food poisoning, in order to avoid vomiting, you should not drink in one gulp, but often and little by little: a few sips or 1 – 2 teaspoons, when it comes to children.
Approved for use from the age of 3 years.
- complex action: restores microbial and water-electrolyte balance.
- only 5 pairs of sachets per pack.
- high price calculated on the day of admission.
Probiotic rating: 4.4
Contains 4 types of bacteria, of which the most interesting are Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Streptococcus thermophilus. In addition to bacteria, this probiotic contains whey powder and lactose to provide nutrition for the bacteria. So, perhaps, this drug can be called a kind of yogurt concentrate. Children from one to six years old are recommended 1 capsule 1 per day, children from 6 to 14 years old – 1 capsule 2 times a day, after 14 years old – 1 x 3 times a day. The tool can also be used for children from 3 months, but for this the capsule must be divided and dissolved in milk, which is not very convenient. Therefore, we put it in the ranking section of the best probiotics for children over 3 years old.
The course recommended by the manufacturer is 1 – 2 months, in a package of 30 capsules. While the price per pack is comparable to that of other probiotics, a course of administration for a child under 6 will be cheaper than using similar drugs of this type.
On the other hand, we cannot fail to note that although the thermophilic streptococcus reduces the manifestations of lactose intolerance, it would be too risky to say unequivocally that children with a similar problem would normally tolerate a probiotic with this oligosaccharide.
- contains substances that support the growth and reproduction of bacteria,
- not recommended for lactose intolerance.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.