Band saws are great productivity tools in joinery and carpentry shops. They can be used to process significantly more materials than using a classic hacksaw or jigsaw. In addition, they make the cuts smoother and are also suitable for curly sawing.
We have compiled a rating of the 7 best band saws that will find their application by both DIYers and professionals.
- How to choose a band saw
- Rating of the best band saws
- Best compact (cordless) band saws
- Milwaukee HD18 BS-402C
- Makita 2107FK
- Bosch GCB 18 VL-I 0
- The best band saws for wood
- JET JBS-12
- Anchor Corvette-35
- The best band saws for metal
- JET J-349V
- Anchor Corvette-422
How to choose a band saw
When choosing a band saw, it is worth determining not only its purpose (for wood or metal), but also the class. There are three groups:
- Household. These are relatively low-performance devices up to 500 watts. They are enough for a rather leisurely processing of various materials. The main advantage of household band saws is the price, they are much cheaper than professional devices, and they cope with most of the tasks associated with sawing materials during processes such as repairs;
- Semi-professional. Devices with power from 0.5 to 1.5 kW. The productivity of semi-professional band saws for wood, thanks to accessories with a width of up to 100 mm, is up to 10 cubic meters per working shift. Suitable for small carpentry and joinery shops;
- Professional. High-power, multifunctional solutions. They are connected to a three-phase network (380 V). Power – from 1.5 kW. Tooling – up to 300 mm, productivity – up to 15 cubic meters of wood, including frozen wood, per shift. These tools are recommended to be purchased for factories, since even in relatively large workshops, their productivity will be excessive.
The main parameters of band saws – both for wood and metal – are:
- Depth. Distance from countertop to border. Determines how thick the block can be cut. The most important parameter in combination with power, it is on it that you should pay attention first of all. For example, household band saws with a depth of up to 60 mm are suitable exclusively for processing boards and sheets (plywood, laminate, similar materials), and professional ones with a depth of up to 500 mm will cope even with thick logs;
- Cutting width. Determines the maximum allowable width of the processed board;
- Canvas material. The best solution is a carbon steel blade for saws both for wood and metal. It is reliable, durable and stable;
- Number of blade teeth. The best option is 180 or 210 teeth. Such blades provide a smooth, uniform cut;
- Stops, rotary and tilting table, illumination of the working area. These additional functions make the use of the band saw more convenient, especially if shape cutting is required;
- Support for multiple speed modes. A useful function for saws both for wood and metal. Simplifies handling materials with varying degrees of rigidity.
- But the main parameter for a band saw is, of course, the class, which manifests itself in power.
Rating of the best band saws
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best compact (cordless) band saws||1||Milwaukee HD18 BS-402C||RUB 45,700|
|2||Makita 2107FK||RUB 21 605|
|3||Bosch GCB 18 VL-I 0||RUB 16,599|
|The best band saws for wood||1||JET JBS-12||RUB 42,240|
|2||Anchor Corvette-35||RUB 39,900|
|The best band saws for metal||1||JET J-349V||42 00 rub.|
|2||Anchor Corvette-422||RUB 24,700|
Best compact (cordless) band saws
Milwaukee HD18 BS-402C
Why her: Universal hand-held band saw.
The manufacturer himself positions this saw as a device for processing metals. And this is not surprising. The Milwaukee HD18 BS-402C, despite being a battery-powered hand-held band saw, is extremely powerful and can handle most tasks quickly in all materials – pipes, rods, shallow trunks and other workpieces – with ease.
The cutting width of the device is 85 millimeters, the cutting depth is also 85 millimeters. No-load belt rotation speed is 146 rpm, one mode. The saw is powered by a 4 Ah battery. There is an illumination of the working area.
The saw has a rich set. It comes with two batteries, a charger for them, a saw band and a transport case.
- Rich equipment;
- High power;
- Convenient design.
- Relatively small cutting depth and width;
- Slow battery charging.
Why it is: High depth and cutting width.
Cordless hand band saw with one of the highest cutting depths and cutting widths in the rating – they are 120 × 120 millimeters. This allows you to use this tool for processing relatively large workpieces. The special design of the saw makes it easy to use and reduces the strain on the hands during prolonged use.
The saw also has excellent power parameters. According to official information, its power is 710 W, which can be classified as semi-professional. Smooth adjustment of the belt rotation speed is supported, there are two speed modes, the maximum is 80 meters per minute.
The tool is powered by a household network. The delivery set, in addition to the device itself, includes a saw band, a hex wrench for removing the protective cover and installing the blade, as well as a transport case.
- High power;
- Excellent combination of price and performance;
- High width and depth of cut.
- The set does not include a bed, but it is needed, since the device is really powerful;
- Poor placement of speed control;
- There is no supply of cutting fluid.
Bosch GCB 18 VL-I 0
Why it is: Very lightweight yet powerful enough to handle wood and similar materials.
The main advantage of this hand saw is its low weight. In fact, this tool is the lightest in the ranking, weighing only 3.8 kg with the battery connected and the ribbon installed. The manufacturer also calls it the most compact – the dimensions of the device are 34 × 16 centimeters. Because of this, the width and depth of the cut are 6.3 × 6.3 cm.
At the same time, the device has a fairly high performance – the maximum web speed is 163 meters per minute. Two speed modes are supported with smooth switching between them. The device is equipped with LED illumination of the working area, anti-vibration pads and a protective shutdown system in case of overheating.
The device operates on 18-volt batteries with a capacity of 2.6 Ah and is equipped with an LED indicator of the charge level. Not included in delivery, unlike two saw blades.
- Very lightweight;
- Anti-vibration pads reduce hand fatigue.
- Batteries are not included;
- Shallow cutting depth and width;
- There is no supply of cutting fluid.
The best band saws for wood
Why her: An excellent combination of price and performance.
This band saw is designed for use in small and medium-sized carpentry shops. The power of 800 watts is enough for the device to process up to 7-10 cubic meters of wood per shift, and thanks to two speeds, it can be adjusted to the materials used – so that sawing is as comfortable as possible. The saw is powered by a household 220-volt network.
The device is equipped with an angle stop with a protractor scale, so it can cut at an angle – up to 45 degrees. The work table is made of cast iron. The machine maintains a fast belt tension. In this case, the maximum cutting depth is 18 centimeters, and the width is 30 centimeters.
An important advantage of the device is the presence of a separate dust extraction pipe. This not only helps to improve the ventilation of the workplace, but also to extend the operating life of the machine.
- Strong, reliable, durable construction;
- Rich equipment;
- Quiet work.
- Difficult self-assembly, including due to unsuccessful instructions;
- The saw blade is stamped, you need to remove burrs;
- No tape tension indicator.
Why it is: Increased power, two speed modes, comfortable desktop.
This band saw is equipped with an asynchronous motor, which guarantees consistent performance and reliability. The power of the device is 1000 W – the highest in its rating segment. Thanks to the powerful motor, the speed of the saw band is 7.3 or 15 meters per second – this allows you to process workpieces not only made of wood or plastic, but also aluminum alloy.
The machine is equipped with a magnetic starter, which excludes spontaneous start; an adjustable stabilizer based on rolling bearings; cast work table with support for tilt up to 45 degrees; a branch pipe for connecting a vacuum cleaner or ventilation system; and a limit switch for safer tool maintenance.
The machine can also boast of a rich delivery set. Sawing depth – up to 20 cm, width – up to 30 cm.
- Quiet work;
- Several security systems;
- High, stable power.
- Inconvenient tension knot;
- Poor quality of the stock saw band, it is recommended to replace it immediately;
- The pulleys are quickly clogged with sawdust, it is recommended to immediately connect the vacuum cleaner.
The best band saws for metal
Why it is: High power, support for arbitrary cutting angles, cutting depths up to 125 mm.
The main advantage of this band saw is that it supports cutting at any angle up to 60 degrees. This tilts the drive, not the table, which makes it possible to machine long workpieces without the need for additional fixation. The maximum cutting depth and width is 125 millimeters, but only for material placed at 90 degrees.
The device is equipped with a 1000-watt motor with two speed modes, and the adjustment between them is smooth. The maximum speed is 80 meters per minute. Thus, this band saw is suitable for cutting even some steel parts.
The stock package includes a bimetallic blade designed just for metal processing. An end stop is also included with the machine. The band saw is equipped with a handle and can be transported to the job site (weighs 19 kg assembled).
- Compact size, support for transportation;
- Powerful drive;
- Rich equipment.
- Quite high noise level;
- The quality of the stock canvas varies from batch to batch;
- No supply of cutting fluid.
Why her: Low price.
Although the previous band saw is rated twice as powerful as this machine (and the ‘Corvette 422’ has a 550 watt drive), it is also suitable for some metal workpieces. For example, based on aluminum. The drive supports three speeds with step switching, so the operating parameters can be quickly changed depending on the nature of the work. The maximum idle speed of the saw band is 50 meters per minute.
The width and depth of cut of the workpiece, placed at an angle of 90 degrees to the moving blade, is 115 millimeters. But the machine supports machining at 45 degrees – in this case, the maximum material diameter is 70 degrees.
The band saw is equipped with an asynchronous motor, which is reliable and durable. The collapsible design allows the machine to be transported to the work site.
- Low price;
- Suitable for a wide variety of materials;
- Rich equipment.
- Low-quality stock canvas;
- Weak starter;
- Complex assembly, incomprehensible instructions.