Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Edge routers are used for side machining of workpiece edges or creating grooves. With their help, grooves are selected, grooves are made, chamfers are removed, the corners of the board are rounded. The power tool is so delicate that it gently handles laminated or veneered materials. Trimmers can be used not only on wood, but also on drywall or tiles. Let's figure out how to choose an edge router and which models are most praised by customers in reviews.
- How to choose an edge router
- Rating of the best edge routers
- The best networked edge routers
- DeWALT D 26200
- Makita RT0700CX2
- BOSCH GKF 600 Professional
- Hammer FRZ710 PREMIUM
- Makita 3709
- Wortex MM 5013-1 E
- The best cordless edge routers
- BOSCH GKF 12V-8 2×3.0Ah L-Boxx
- Makita DRT50ZJX2
- RYOBI R18TR-0
How to choose an edge router
The key parameters when choosing an edge router are:
- Power. The indicator is from 400 to 900 watts. Affects the speed of operation, heating of the engine under continuous loads, the ability to install cutters of a certain diameter. For a hobby, a power of 400-500 watts is enough. Regular use in production or in a workshop will require an output of 600-900 watts.
- Number of revolutions. Varies from 10,000 to 40,000 per minute. The higher the value, the better the final surface finish will be.
- Cutter stroke. It occurs in the range of 20-80 mm. Affects the depth of the grooves created and the thickness of the processed board.
- Functions. Adjusting the speed will allow you to work with materials of different density (for hardwoods, set an increased speed, and for softwoods or plastic, the rotation rate is lowered). Smooth start prevents jerking at the start. Protection against unintended start increases safety. Automatic shutdown in case of overload will save the motor winding from melting. Maintaining RPM under load provides the same result regardless of operator pressure.
- Equipment. Manufacturers can put 1-2 cutters in a set, guides for parallel processing, a suitcase, an adapter for connecting to a vacuum cleaner. This increases the cost of the product, but does not require the purchase of additional components before starting work.
- Convenience of holding. The bevelling cutters are of the light class and are held with one hand. Check for a comfortable grip and rubber pads to prevent the power tool from sliding in your hand.
- Weight. The ease of manipulation with an edge router depends on the weight. Trimmer weight is 1-3 kg.
- Collet chuck clamping diameter. In the edging tool, there are collets with a clamp of 6, 8 or 10 mm in diameter. Under the first, it is more difficult to find a shank.
Rating of the best edge routers
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best networked edge routers||1||DeWALT D 26200||14 343 RUB|
|2||Makita RT0700CX2||RUB 11,274|
|3||BOSCH GKF 600 Professional||RUB 11,760|
|4||Hammer FRZ710 PREMIUM||RUB 6 490|
|5||Makita 3709||RUB 4,908|
|6||Wortex MM 5013-1 E||RUB 3,610|
|The best cordless edge routers||1||BOSCH GKF 12V-8 2×3.0Ah L-Boxx||RUB 15 900|
|2||Makita DRT50ZJX2||RUB 14,178|
|3||RYOBI R18TR-0||RUB 6 600|
The best networked edge routers
It's time to get acquainted with specific models that have decent characteristics and are popular with buyers. Let's start with network routers, which are optimal for a stationary work place, where there is a 220 V.
DeWALT D 26200
In the first place is the DeVolt edging mill, which has a power of 900 W and produces from 16,000 to 27,000 rpm. Their number is regulated by a rotary wheel in the upper part of the body. The maximum cutter diameter is allowed up to 36 mm. Collet chucks have a common size of 8 mm. The tooling can be lowered into the workpiece up to 5.5 cm, so the edger is suitable for working with thick boards. The soft start eliminates the jerk at the start and allows the router to be initially placed on the workpiece. With a changing load, the revolutions are kept at a given amount. Although the kit does not come with consumables, there is a transparent pipe for connecting a dust removal system. Buyers praise in the reviews the high build quality and the stability of the retention of the given size when sampling.
This edge trimmer is the industry leader in power and durability. 900 W is the maximum for a mains powered tool. Due to the increased processing power, the router will cope with oak, ash, beech and other hard species, even if the operation is daily for 6-8 hours.
- there is a smooth start;
- the rotation speed can be adjusted;
- cutter stroke up to 55 mm;
- can be connected to a dust extraction system.
- sold without cutters;
- high price;
- no case.
The RT0700CX2 router has a power of 710 W and can operate at speeds from 10 to 30 thousand / min. It comes with two collets of 6 and 8 mm, as well as a bag for transportation and an adapter for connecting to a vacuum cleaner. The manufacturer has taken care of the availability of copying inserts for edge processing according to the template. The trimmer has a smooth start and maintains constant rpm under load. The power cord is 2.5 m long, so an extension cord is indispensable. Judging by the reviews, buyers like the product with quiet operation, despite the power of 710 W, and the accuracy of processing.
The advantage of this edging model is the ability to change the immersion depth with one touch. Unlike most of the other products in the review, here you can change the height of the worn sole by bending the side clip. The design of competing routers provides a screw in this place, which requires a lot of manipulation when adjusting. Even in the Makita RT0700CX2 edge trimmer, there is a clear scale, carved on metal, which will not erase after years of use.
- there is a speed control;
- most of the body is made of metal;
- easy replacement of brushes;
- rubberized retention zone on the sole.
- no illumination of the working area;
- short mains cable 2.5 m;
- weak spindle lock
BOSCH GKF 600 Professional
We gave the third place to the GKF 600 router from Bosch, which belongs to the professional series. The manual edging machine is endowed with a power of 600 W and spins the spindle up to 33,000 rpm. The start button is recessed into the body, which prevents accidental activation. The set includes two collets for 6 and 8 mm. The cutter's immersion depth is 3.5 cm. The brushes are easy to replace thanks to the side hatches. Rip fence, guide and open-end wrench are supplied with the power tool. The goods are placed in a sturdy suitcase for easy storage and transportation. User reviews show that the edging power tool has an impressive working resource and is able to function without interruptions for 40 minutes.
In our opinion, the router is the best in terms of the ratio of watts consumed and the number of revolutions. With a power of 600 watts, the edge trimmer produces 33,000 rpm, which surpasses even the two leaders described above. If you require a particularly smooth quality of the processed edge, then choose this particular device.
- long soft cord, 4 m long;
- compact dimensions 19×9 cm;
- relatively light weight 1.5 kg;
- clear scale for adjusting the immersion depth.
- there is no retention of the same revolutions with a varying load;
- not sold in every city;
- without backlight and smooth start.
Hammer FRZ710 PREMIUM
The FRZ710 edge milling cutter from the Hammer firm competes well with eminent brands. In the edging machine, the bracket configuration allows the cutter to travel up to 3 cm. Collets are designed for installation of 6-10 mm shanks. The operator can change the rotation speed from 10 to 30 thousand rpm. The recoil of the tool is 710 W. There is no jerk at the time of start, since the starting current is limited. Users in the reviews love that the manufacturer puts spare brushes on it, and this allows you to avoid spending on maintenance for the first few months.
The edge device is the leader among analogs in terms of the richness of the equipment. In addition to the bag, guides and a parallel stop, it comes with three bases at once. The first allows you to process edges at right angles. The second is designed to change the angle of inclination of the router carcass relative to the workpiece. A third platform with vertical bars and two protruding handles converts the bevelling cutter into a plunge cutter. If you need a universal network tool, then take a look at this model.
- there is a speed control;
- easy replacement of brushes;
- the product is sold with a bag;
- connection to a vacuum cleaner of a small sole is possible.
- there are no copying sleeves;
- there is no dust extraction cover on the submersible base;
- angled sole is slightly curved;
- Chinese bearings with a small resource are used in the tool.
For semi-professional activities “Makita” offers a milling cutter 3709, which has a power of 530 W and unwinds the equipment up to 30 thousand rpm. But the rotation speed is not regulated here. It is suitable for edging in wood, ceramic tiles, drywall, composite materials. The product includes: rip fence, contour guide, collet, chip deflector, two keys and one straight cutter. Soft pads on the body make it easier to hold the vibrating instrument. The edging machine is liked by buyers in reviews for its lightness and maneuverability. The owners are also pleased with the high-quality assembly, the absence of squeaks and a soft network cable that does not coarse when used in unheated rooms.
The feature of this product is the sole made of transparent material. This greatly increases the operator's visibility to clearly see where the cutter is reaching. This design also helped to reduce the weight of the edge trimmer, which is 1.5 kg.
- more affordable price;
- easy replacement of brushes;
- rubber pad on the body;
- one cutter included.
- screw adjustment of the immersion depth;
- plastic case;
- it is easy to accidentally hook the switch on;
- only 6 mm shanks fit.
Wortex MM 5013-1 E
The product from Wortex completes the category of network cutters. The edging device is endowed with a power of 710 W and develops up to 30,000 rpm. When working with soft materials (plastics, plaster), they can be reduced to 10,000 rpm with the wheel on the body. The cutter travel is 2.2 cm. Tool change is facilitated by fixing the spindle. The device can be connected to a vacuum cleaner using the supplied connector. The manufacturer also supplies parallel guides, stops and spare brushes with the product. The collet characteristics allow for both 6mm and 8mm shanks. Buyers in the reviews are glad that this milling cutter is suitable for equipment from “Makita”, so you can buy a cheap carcass of a power tool, but get high-quality edge processing from branded cutters of other brands.
The edge milling cutter is recognized by us as the best in terms of price and quality ratio. Despite the cost is 2-3 times lower than that of competitors, the trimmer has a metal body and the ability to adjust the speed, as well as a power of 710 watts.
- engraved depth scale;
- rapid change in the height of the cutter;
- rubber pad on the body;
- light weight 1.45 kg.
- the milling depth is only 2.2 cm;
- 8mm shank will hit a little – for 6mm only.
The best cordless edge routers
The cordless edge routers are powered by a 12-18 V battery and are suitable for working away from power outlets as well as on-site work. The power cord does not come out of the housing, which means it is easier for the operator to manipulate the trimmer. Here are three of the best cordless edging machines that are reliable and popular with customers.
BOSCH GKF 12V-8 2×3.0Ah L-Boxx
The Bosch cordless edge trimmer operates on 12 V and makes up to 13,000 rpm. The kit already contains two batteries with a capacity of 3.0 A / h, as well as an adapter for fast charging. It is convenient to transport the instrument from site to site thanks to the robust case. The base plate is cast in metal and is attached to the router by means of a threaded screw. The power button is slider type and is located on the left side of the handle. It can be fixed for long-term operation. The edging trimmer is equipped with a collet with a clamping diameter of 8 mm, and the maximum cutter size is 36 mm, which is not inferior to the network models.
The edging machine won first place in the category for ergonomics and ease of handling. The built-in battery continues the shape of the handle and does not obstruct the operator's view. The L-shape of the body is designed for a natural grip, making it easier to guide the power tool along the edge of the workpiece. Rubber pads prevent slipping. The router is easy to operate as it weighs 1.1 kg.
- includes two batteries, charger and case;
- reliable metal sole;
- can work with cutters 36 mm in diameter;
- popular shank size is 8mm.
- high price;
- heats up quickly;
- adjusting the height of the clamping nut on the thread;
- there is no wheel for changing the rotation speed.
This beveler has earned a place in the review of the best due to the increased power among the cordless models. It is powered by an 18 V battery and delivers up to 30,000 rpm. When milling soft materials, the speed can be reduced to 10,000 rpm. The processing depth reaches 4 cm. The edging machine weighs 2.1 kg, despite the fact that its body is cast from metal. The device contains collets for 6 and 8 mm shanks. Customer reviews show that revs do not drop under load. There is also a soft start and a spindle lock, making it easy to change tooling. When handling in dark places, the working area is illuminated.
Among the cordless edge routers, this one stands out for its complete set of three bases. In the spacious case, the buyer will receive a standard sole for processing workpieces at right angles, pistol-shaped and on vertical bars for immersion work. When many processes are performed in the workshop, such an edge router will replace several devices at once.
- metal case;
- adjustment of the depth of milling with a quick sliding clamp;
- you can change the rotation speed;
- revolutions 10000-30000 per minute.
- high price;
- a massive battery on top gets in the way a little in limited places;
- The 6.0 A / h battery is enough only for the R3 80 m / s pine moulders.
The battery-powered milling cutter from “Robi” is notable for its affordable price and good functionality. The edging machine operates on 18 V and develops 29,000 rpm. But there is no speed control here, so the rotation is always carried out at maximum. The chuck provides a girth of 6 mm shanks. The milling depth reaches 3.8 cm. The router weighs 1.3 kg. The part of the body that is in contact with the user's hand is covered with a rubber pad. Changing the height of the rig takes place in one touch. The edge trimmer is equipped with a rip fence, straight cutter and wrench. But the battery will have to be purchased separately. If you have another Cordless Robie tool, the power source is suitable from there.
The battery-operated edge model is recognized by experts as the best for intermittent immersion applications. The design features of a narrow body, a small support sole made of transparent plastic and an overhang of up to 38 mm make it easy to drive the cutters into the solid surface of the material for cutting grooves and grooves. User reviews confirm that in terms of functionality it is not inferior to submersible devices and is universal in use.
- easy change in the height of the rig;
- weight 1.3 kg;
- built-in diode illumination;
- fits well in the hand.
- a voluminous battery is located on top and interferes a little;
- there is no speed regulator;
- sold without battery;
- it is difficult to find a tool for a 6 mm collet.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.