Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Drywall has revolutionized the finishing industry by allowing walls and ceilings to be aligned quickly, while insulating and insulating them at the same time. With the help of this plaster material, enclosed between two sheets of cardboard, it is easy to build internal partitions, dividing large rooms into smaller ones. Various modifications of drywall have additional properties that allow them to be used in conditions of high humidity or fire hazard. Our experts have prepared a rating of all types of drywall, based on the characteristics of the panels and feedback from builders, which will help you choose the best product for a specific location.
- How to choose drywall
- Which is better drywall or plaster
- Rating of the best drywall
- The best conventional drywall
- Gyproc Strong 2500х1200х15mm
- KNAUF GSP-A 2500х1200х9.5mm
- Volma 2500х1200х12.5mm
- The best moisture resistant drywall
- Gyproc Aqua Strong moisture resistant 2500х1200х15mm
- KNAUF GSP-H2 moisture resistant 2500х1200х9.5mm
- Volma moisture resistant 2500х1200х12.5mm
- The best fireproof drywall
- Volma fireproof 2500х1200х12.5mm
- KNAUF GSP-DF fireproof 2500х1200х12.5mm
How to choose drywall
When starting to study the rating of drywall modifications, it is useful to look at several key parameters for choosing this building material in order to understand which values are important:
- Core type. Plasterboard is always based on gypsum, which occupies up to 93% of all components. Plasterboard (GLA) is cheaper than other types. The abbreviation with the letter B prefix indicates moisture resistance. The prefix O indicates fire resistance. The presence of two letters BO implies the ability of sheets to simultaneously resist both moisture and an open flame.
- Thickness. Slabs are produced with a section from 6 to 25 mm. For mounting on the ceiling, choose products with a thickness of 7-8 mm. The walls are finished with 12-15 mm panels. Thicker finishing materials are used only to create strong partitions or increased noise insulation.
- Edge type. Most often there are semicircular and thinned edges. The first requires a lot of putty to seal the joints, but reduces the likelihood of cracks. The second has a millimeter difference and implies filling with wide seams of 90 mm, but with a minimum depth, which saves on consumption, but increases the risk of cracking.
- Sheet size. The standard is considered to be the width of drywall 120 cm.They are produced in length from 2.5 to 4.8 m. The fewer joints, the faster the installation is performed and the less finishing of the joints is required. When installing on walls, choose sheets equivalent to the height of the ceilings.
Which is better drywall or plaster
Plastering walls may seem like a more economical option in terms of cost, so before considering the rating of drywall modifications, you should understand what the benefits of using a more expensive finishing material are.
+ READY TO FINISH IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALLATION
+ GIVES A PERFECTLY Smooth SURFACE
+ EASILY HIDES PIPES, INSTALLATIONS, WIRING
+ SUITABLE FOR USE WITH DIFFERENCES UP TO 4 CM
+ CLEANLESS OF INSTALLATION
+ ABILITY TO CREATE PARTITIONS
+ SOUND- AND THERMAL INSULATION
+ IT IS POSSIBLE TO SHAPE AND MAKE TWO-STORY CEILINGS, ARCHES, OPENINGS
-COOKS A LITTLE INTERIOR SPACE IN THE ROOM
-DO NOT ATTACH HEAVY OBJECTS TO THE WALL (BOILER, MASSIVE SHELVES)
-NECESSARY FRAME FROM PROFILE
-LIFETIME LIFE SHALL BE SHORTED WITH FREQUENT CHANGE
-MORE DIFFICULT TO TRANSPORT AND BOOK ON THE FLOOR
-PROTECTING THE FACE WITH A PRIMER OR TILE IS REQUIRED
+ LESS PROBLEMS WITH BASE CURVE
+ POSSIBLE TO HANG FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES
+ SAVING DURING THE INDEPENDENT PERFORMANCE OF WORKS
+ EASIER TO REPAIR DAMAGED AREAS
-YOU SHOULD WAIT TO DRY
– EVEN AFTER PLASTERING THE WALLS MAY REMAIN CURVES
-REQUIRES A THICK COAT TO HIDE COMMUNICATIONS
-DIFFUSIONS SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 2.5 CM
– WHEN PLASTERING ON THE FLOOR A LOT OF DIRT
Rating of the best drywall
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price per piece|
|The best conventional drywall||1||Gyproc Strong 2500х1200х15mm||452 RUB|
|2||KNAUF GSP-A 2500х1200х9.5mm||353 r|
|3||Volma 2500х1200х12.5mm||194 r|
|The best moisture resistant drywall||1||Gyproc Aqua Strong moisture resistant 2500х1200х15mm||RUB 524|
|2||KNAUF GSP-H2 moisture resistant 2500х1200х9.5mm||354 r|
|3||Volma moisture resistant 2500х1200х12.5mm||RUB 298|
|The best fireproof drywall||1||Volma fireproof 2500х1200х12.5mm||378 r|
|2||KNAUF GSP-DF fireproof 2500х1200х12.5mm||369 r|
The best conventional drywall
Plasterboard (gypsum plasterboard) is available in white or gray and is suitable for walls and ceilings in dry rooms (offices, bedrooms, halls, corridors) that do not require moisture or fire protection according to building codes. No additives are used in its core – there is pure gypsum held by a cardboard frame. This is the most affordable option for an economical renovation.
Gyproc Strong 2500х1200х15mm
Product from a Swedish brand, but produced at production facilities in Russia. This made it possible to achieve acceptable quality and low cost. Drywall belongs to the low-combustible group and is equipped with reinforcing fibers, which, in combination with a thickness of 15 mm, gives increased strength. The manufacturer claims that it is even allowed to hang a TV on such a wall. Drywall has been tested for environmental friendliness and is a safe product.
Experts added drywall to the rating due to the panel thickness of 15 mm. Considering its cost, such a layer is optimal for insulating walls in a multi-storey building from neighboring sounds or for decorating premises in a private house located by the road. In the characteristics, the product is positioned as acoustic, which confirms the high ability to absorb noise. It is worth paying attention to musicians who often rehearse at home so as not to inconvenience neighbors.
- saving putty due to the thinned edge;
- dimensions are suitable for most typical high-rise apartments in Russia;
- better withstand shocks;
- reduces costs for subsequent finishing, since it has a light gray color that does not show through a thin primer.
- the weight of 33 kg of one sheet complicates the entry on the floor;
- the seams may crack due to the thin filler groove.
KNAUF GSP-A 2500х1200х9.5mm
The famous brand is now being produced on the territory of Russia, which made it possible to reduce the price. Finishing material in white-gray color with a thickness of 9.5 mm is excellent for fixing to walls and ceilings in residential and office buildings. The manufacturer added reinforcing components to ordinary drywall that increase bending or impact strength. The surface of the panels is moderately smooth and promotes better adhesion to subsequent finishing materials.
All users put 5 points in the reviews of the product and share that the drywall serves for a long time and does not deteriorate even when used in rooms with high humidity. Our experts put the product in the rating due to its increased strength despite the thickness of 9.5 mm, therefore, they recommend using sheets to create interior partitions. The presence of a semicircular edge will not allow the seams to crack even when doors are slammed.
- perfectly cut;
- lighter than other analogs (22 kg), which creates less load on the crate and is easier to carry;
- durable gypsum-bonding layer from the G4 brand;
- semicircular edges for secure sealing of joints.
- the sheets bend slightly dry, which complicates the ceiling mount;
- very careful handling is required, otherwise the corners crumble during installation;
- easily scratched during transportation.
This is an exclusively Russian brand, the gypsum board modification of which is suitable for interior decoration of dry rooms. The thickness of 12.5 mm is optimal for insulating and leveling walls, creating curly door and window openings. Putty and plaster compounds perfectly adhere to the cardboard layer. For the price, this is one of the most affordable options, but users in reviews complain that the panels are very hard and the screws are difficult to screw to the end. Therefore, you will need a powerful screwdriver, otherwise the installation process will take time.
In the opinion of our experts, drywall should be in the rating due to the manufacture of the core from a gypsum mixture related to non-combustible materials (NG), when most of the analogues of ordinary drywall from other companies are produced from low-combustible components (G1). For that kind of money, this is the best option for wall decoration in a home boiler room.
- can be purchased with any type of edge, which is important for the place of installation and method of sealing the seam;
- easy to cut along the line;
- ecologicaly clean.
- each sheet weighs 32 kg;
- high panel hardness delays installation;
- fragile upon impact;
- corrugated sheets may come across, which will have to be putty completely to align.
The best moisture resistant drywall
This modification is referred to as GKLV. The product is marked with green paper and is suitable for rooms where the humidity level is above 70%. It is installed in bathrooms, toilets, kitchens or specialized medical rooms. If you use ordinary drywall, then mold will form in its core and the material will collapse. Such a modification is more expensive due to water-repellent impregnations inside and additional processing of the paper layer.
Gyproc Aqua Strong moisture resistant 2500х1200х15mm
Another version of the product from the Swedish brand, which is produced in Russia. The panels are finished with cardboard on all sides and have a thinned edge. Moisture-resistant drywall is immediately recognizable by the green color of the paper. The dimensions of the product are ideal for most apartments with 2.5 m ceilings. Plasterboard modification is convenient for ordering for large renovations, since it is supplied on pallets of 46 pieces each. The core contains additional components that resist water and increase strength.
Experts have included drywall in the rating of the best due to its increased strength. Tests and reviews have shown that a force of 65 kg is required to pull the OLA out of this material. We recommend paying attention to this product for those who are going to hang a lot of shelves, mirrors or other medium-weight items in the bathroom. The panels will withstand such a load and will last a long time.
- increased cross-section 15 mm;
- comply with GOST 6266-97;
- withstand pulling force of fasteners up to 64 kg.
- high price;
- difficult to mount yourself due to the weight of 34 kg;
- the sheets are often 5 mm smaller than the standard size, which requires more filler when sealing joints near the ceiling.
KNAUF GSP-H2 moisture resistant 2500х1200х9.5mm
Trim panels from a trusted brand, available in 9.5mm wall sections for light weight and easy fixing in any position. The paper is impregnated with hydrophobic components, but at the same time, the entire sheet can allow excess moisture to pass from the room. The goods are sold both individually and on pallets of 50 pieces for large volumes during construction. Well-known products are relatively cheap, but users in reviews share that this affected the quality – large air bubbles come across inside the gypsum.
According to our experts, drywall was worth adding to the rating because of its flexibility when passing with a needle roller in a wet state, which is suitable for organizing a complex curved ceiling in a spacious bathroom or kitchen. The semicircular edge allows for thick, sealed joints that can be painted on the outside and need not be finished with additional materials.
- high protection against counterfeiting with brand and batch printing on each sheet;
- the border of the self-tapping screw is marked with color, which helps during installation;
- semicircular edge for high-quality sealing of joints.
- weight of moisture resistant plasterboard 25 kg;
- wall thickness 9.5 mm, but in practice it can be less;
- harder to cut evenly due to air bubbles in the structure;
- to create bends, you will need to purchase a needle roller.
Volma moisture resistant 2500х1200х12.5mm
Domestic modification with antifungal additives and cardboard impregnation. The core is made by pressing and is additionally fired to increase its density. The panels are available with a thickness of 12.5 mm, and pallets of 49 pcs are available for bulk purchases. Users and builders alike like its affordability in reviews, but some complain that it is difficult to adjust the torque on a screwdriver to prevent fasteners from tearing the paper. This is because the panel structure is too rigid.
Experts unanimously recommend this modification in the rating for the manufacture of columns, boxes or niches in large rooms with high humidity (swimming pools, gym showers, etc.). The 12.5mm thickness is shock-resistant and will help maintain structural integrity. Outside, all that remains is to cover the drywall with ceramic tiles.
- high-quality packaging of pallets;
- hardy base;
- antifungal supplements;
- better tolerates temperature changes.
- for optimal protection from water, additional measures are needed (waterproof primer, tiles);
- the weight of each sheet is 26.4 kg;
- no reinforced fibers inside;
- more difficult to find the torque.
The best fireproof drywall
The modification is designated as GKLO. The sheets are colored red or pink, intuitively indicating resistance to fire. The material is expensive due to the reinforcing components and impregnations that increase resistance to high temperatures and open flame. GKLO is used for finishing panel rooms, boilers, industrial premises. In everyday life, it is advisable for them to decorate the walls of the fireplace, stove and chimneys in a private house.
Volma fireproof 2500х1200х12.5mm
Fire-resistant plasterboard from a domestic manufacturer, sold on pallets of 47 sheets. It contains special additives to resist fire and destruction from exposure to open fire. It is classified in group B2 for flammability, which means that for even the outer paper layer to burn, the panel must be exposed to direct contact with fire for a long time. Reviews and test results indicate that if you install a partition of two such sheets and fill it with mineral wool with a layer of 5 cm, it will delay the spread of fire by 60 minutes, which corresponds to the fire-technical standard EI60.
According to experts, Volma's fireproof drywall has earned a place in the ranking of the best due to its resistance to smoke emission. The product is classified as D1 in terms of smoke generation, so in case of a fire in a room with a similar finish, excellent visibility and the ability to breathe will remain. This makes drywall suitable for installations with a large number of personnel, where there is an increased risk of fire.
- does not form smoke on contact with fire;
- semicircular edge;
- will delay the spread of fire up to 60 minutes when combined with mineral wool.
- panels with a porous structure come across;
- weight 30.6 kg;
- not suitable for wet rooms.
KNAUF GSP-DF fireproof 2500х1200х12.5mm
The core of this plasterboard is made of G4 gypsum binders and pressed. Reinforcing components are used inside, and fire-resistant products comply with GOST 32614-2012. The semicircular thinned edge helps to create strong seams that prevent cracks in the future. But when ordering directly from the factory or from authorized dealers, you can agree on the manufacture of other types of chamfers. The outer layer is securely attached to the core with adhesives.
On various Internet resources, this drywall is recommended by up to 83% of users in reviews. Our experts have included fire-resistant gypsum board in the rating due to compliance not only with Russian, but also with international standards EN 520: 2009 and the presence of a corresponding certificate. This product is optimal for creating fire barriers in buildings with a large number of people (cinemas, shopping centers), which are subject to rigorous checks by regulatory authorities.
- each panel is marked with GSP-DF;
- longitudinal edges are color-coded for easy mounting of the mount;
- it can be used to create curved surfaces;
- absorbs excess moisture, but does not accumulate it in itself ('breathes').
- increased fragility with sharp mechanical stress;
- more expensive than analogues.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.