Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
Welding transformer is a traditional equipment for connection of steel billets by arc welding. Many Russians in the household there is a home-made device that created on the basis of a transformer. Such devices have always stood out big weight and bulkiness. Moreover, they are easy to operate, not they are afraid of voltage drops in the network, are sold on the market affordable price. Today, manufacturers have managed to reduce weight welders, make them more compact and easy to use. To choose a reliable and durable transformer, you should listen to the following recommendations from our experts.
- How to choose a welding transformer
- Rating of the best welding transformers
- Telwin Quality 280 AC / DC
- Cavic TDM-503 U2
- ETA TDM-307
- Telwin Nordika 2160
- Helvi UTIL 166N
- Wester ARC 130
- BISON ZTS-250
How to choose a welding transformer
- Welding current. One of the main characteristics of welding transformer is the amperage. Higher maximum the device, the more productive the model will be. To calculate the optimal welding current, you must use the simplest formula. The thickness of the metal is multiplied by 20 A, k the resulting value is added another 30%. For example, for welding 5 mm thick steel parts will need a transformer with with a maximum current of 130 A. When you have to work with thin metal, then the necessary minimum must be set at the welder current value. For example, for steel 1 mm thick, only 20 And plus losses in the region of 30% (total 26 A).
- Duration of inclusion. Welding transformers in the arcing time is very hot, so limited to them. The more powerful the device and the more efficient the system cooling, the higher the PV indicator (duration of inclusion). It is expressed as a percentage; dealing with this indicator is easy. For example, 60% PV indicates that within 10 minutes allowed to work 6 minutes. The device needs only 4 to rest minutes. Some budget models have a 10% PV.
- Supply voltage. Welding transformers are different input voltage. There are models designed only for 380 V, they used in professional activities of man. For household goals requires transformers for 220 V. They are inferior in performance, amperage and other parameters. Universal thanks to the switch, devices can use both single-phase and three-phase current.
- The diameter of the electrode. Each welding transformer there is a certain range of electrodes with which it turns out high-quality seam. The selection of this parameter must be done taking into account thickness of the welded metal and its chemical composition. He is cramped connected with an indicator of current strength. For example, for welding steel parts 1-2 mm thick are suitable electrodes with a diameter of 1.6 and 2 mm. But to form an arc with a thinner electrode requires 25-50 A, and to light a 2 mm electrode, you need 50-70 A. With 5 mm electrode you can weld thick workpieces (4-15 mm), varying the current strength in the range of 150-280 A.
We selected 7 of the best welding transformers in our review. All of them are sold in the Russian market. When determining the places in the ranking the opinions of experts and reviews of domestic welders were taken into account.
Rating of the best welding transformers
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|How to choose a welding transformer||1||Telwin Quality 280 AC / DC||36 800 rub.|
|2||Cavic TDM-503 U2||–|
|3||ETA TDM-307||31,270 rub.|
|4||Telwin Nordika 2160||13 500 rub.|
|5||Helvi UTIL 166N||11 200 rub.|
|6||Wester ARC 130||4 999 rub.|
|7||BISON ZTS-250||4 940 rub.|
Telwin Quality 280 AC / DC
Universal welding equipment is Italian transformer Telwin Quality 280 AC / DC. It can work both from alternating current, and from direct with a voltage of 220 or 380 V. The welding process starts at a minimum current of 45 A, which allows the use of thin electrodes. The welder is provided wide possibilities when choosing electrodes (from 1.6 to 5 mm). it can be alkaline, rutile, cast iron, as well as electrodes from stainless steel. The maximum power of the device is 7.2 kW. Experts gave the transformer first place in our rating.
Domestic welders are satisfied with the performance of the apparatus, build quality, wide scope. The disadvantages should be carry high price.
- high-quality assembly;
- wide selection of electrodes;
- high performance.
- high price.
Cavic TDM-503 U2
The maximum welding current of 500 A is produced by the Kavik transformer TDM-503 U2. He leads among competitors and in such an important indicator as power (34.2 kVA). The device operates on a three-phase networks, welding allowed low carbon and low alloy steel grades. It was not possible to get around the winner of the model rating due to heavy weight (95 kg) and impressive overall dimensions. The manufacturer installed wheels to move heavy equipment. The device is able to work with electrodes 2-6 thick mm For cooling the transformer uses natural ventilation, operating temperature range is wide enough (-45 … + 45 ° С).
Users in reviews praise the welder for power and performance. Does not cause complaints and the quality of welding seam. The disadvantage of this device is cumbersome and heavy weight.
- high power
- high current strength;
- high-quality seam.
- a lot of weight.
Another heavyweight welder was in the top three of our ranking. The ETA TDM-307 model is intended for manual welding of steel. The experts appreciated the reliable mechanical welding regulator current, its maximum value is limited to 300 A. In work it is allowed to use electrodes 2-5 mm thick. Power the apparatus is 23 kVA, the duration of inclusion at maximum load reaches 25%. Transformer is easy to use, due to the low configuration of the housing carry passenger cars in the trunk. Only with loading and unloading difficulties may arise due to the large weight (60 kg).
In reviews, welders flatteringly comment on simplicity and device reliability. Of the disadvantages, heavy weight and high price.
- high power
- mechanical current regulator;
- high-quality assembly;
- ease of use.
- high price;
- a lot of weight.
Telwin Nordika 2160
For carrying out welding works with connection to a network of 220 V Telwin Nordika 2160 transformer is suitable. The device has low power (2.5 kW), so its scope is private houses, workshops and garages. Welding current range makes 55-160 A. Stable burning of an arch is observed with rutile electrodes with a diameter of 2-4 mm. Although the device weighs just 17.4 kg, the manufacturer equipped it with wheels and a convenient handle for displacement. In order for the transformer to serve the owner for a long time, the device is equipped with thermostatic protection. Model takes fourth place in the ranking.
Experts and users praise Italian quality assembly, ease of use. The device is reliable and unpretentiousness. The disadvantages include low power and short wires.
- small dimensions;
- short wires;
- low power.
Helvi UTIL 166N
The smallest minimum welding current (35 A) Helvi UTIL 166N transformer. This Italian appliance can work with electrodes from 1.6 to 3.25 mm thick. For nutrition the welder requires a household power grid, model power is 3.2 kVA. The device is intended for installation works, the transformer weighs only 15.8 kg. Manufacturer installed protection against overheating, the metal case is protected against corrosion at help paintwork. Svarochnik gets in our rating for simplicity and reliability in use.
Russian welders are satisfied with mobility, ease and simplicity transformer control. Not enough for users only power, so the scope of the apparatus is limited.
- lightness and compactness;
- high-quality manufacturing;
- reliable paintwork;
- insulation class H.
- low power;
- short wires.
Wester ARC 130
Light and compact stands out from the competition welding transformer Wester ARC 130. Model weighing 10.6 kg perfect for welding work at heights. The device is connected to a 220 V network, for effective cooling a fan is installed inside the case. At a power of 5 kW, the welder has a short duration of inclusion (10%). Quality the seam can provide electrodes with a diameter of 2.5-3.2 mm. The experts included the model in our rating for a combination of affordable price and good quality.
Russian consumers in reviews praise the transformer for lightness, the ability to work on low voltage, modern appearance. Professionals claim only low performance.
- lightness and compactness;
- low price;
- effective cooling;
- steady arc.
- low productivity;
- short duration of inclusion.
At the lowest price, welding is sold on the Russian market ZUBR transformer ZTS-250. It is this factor that attracts attention to the device of potential buyers. Over the past two months 1280 people viewed the product card on NM. The device has good power (14 kVA) and a decent range of welding current (60-250 A), which allows the use of electrodes with a diameter of 2-5 mm. Weight the transformer is 24.5 kg, so the manufacturer equipped wheels and handle your product. Experts have included the model in our affordability rating and decent technical specifications.
Users flatteringly speak about reliability and unpretentiousness the welder. The disadvantages they include poor-quality assembly and short duration of inclusion (10%).
- low price;
- good power;
- reliable fixation of wires;
- low-quality assembly;
- heats up quickly.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.