Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
Metal is a strong building material from which various designs can be formed. It is used as frame for the house, door frames, furniture and stairs. In the yard Of a private house, you can often find an iron gate, a fence, garage. The only drawback of the material is oxidation at contact with moisture, causing carbon steel to rust. We present you a rating of the best paints for metal, possessing high adhesion to solid material and forming a strong protective film. Products are selected by analyzing the characteristics of our experts and taking into account the opinions of customers in reviews.
- How to choose a paint for metal
- Rating of the best paints for metal
- Alpina Direkt Auf Rost
- Tikkurila panssarimaali
- Hammerite 3 in 1
- Pantolac stancolac
- Teknos KIRJO AQUA
- Hammerite hammer
- Tikkurila metallista
How to choose a paint for metal
When choosing paint for metal, many think only about its color, not suspecting the existence of important characteristics affecting application process and subsequent operation. Here are the main parameters to pay attention to when choosing enamel for metal structures:
- Application temperature. So that the paint easily lays on metal and evenly distributed, suitable ambient temperature. In some formulations, this is +10 degrees, and others from +1, which expands the possibilities for use for street work in the cool season.
- Operating temperature. After solidification the paint layer retains its color without yellowness to a certain temperature. Alkyd paints have an indicator of 80 degrees, acrylic 120º, and polyurethane up to 150º.
- Dilution. To prepare for use water-soluble paints require water and they do not emit unpleasant smell. Solvent dilution adds a little cost painting per square meter and more toxic at the time application.
- Surface requirement. Some types of enamel need to be applied only on cleaned and degreased surfaces, others are allowed paint even by rust. This is achieved through special substances in the composition that convert existing corrosion and stopping her.
- Drying time. The indicator varies from 5 to 12 hours and affects the duration of the work and the input of the structure into operation.
- Application Method. Some products are suitable for brush, which practical in case of small painted area and complex product outline. Other enamels are allowed to be applied with a roller or with spray gun, and this speeds up the process and is optimal for large and smooth designs.
- Hiding power. Depend on the consumption of coloring material expenses. Spreading rate can be from 7 to 13 m² from one liter.
- The degree of gloss. In addition to the color of the paint, there is a degree shine where matte, semi-matte, glossy are present, semi-glossy options. All this in its own way affects the external the form of painted parts.
Rating of the best paints for metal
The rating presents paints for metal from different components. The TOP includes products based on alkyd resins, obtained by cooking oils, and acrylic enamels. All goods suitable for carbon non-alloy steel, cast iron, aluminum, copper and galvanized surfaces.
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price per liter �|
|Rating of the best paints for metal||1||Alpina Direkt Auf Rost||770 rub.|
|2||Tikkurila panssarimaali||990 rub|
|3||Hammerite 3 in 1||1270 rub.|
|4||Pantolac stancolac||750 rub|
|5||Teknos KIRJO AQUA||1135 rub.|
|6||Hammerite hammer||800 rub|
|7||Tikkurila metallista||800 rub|
Alpina Direkt Auf Rost
The first place in the ranking is occupied by a product from a German company Caparol manufactured under the Alpina brand. Enamel is suitable for external and internal use. In the first case, you need three layers, and in the second two are enough to reliably protect the metal from corrosion. You can paint the surface with a brush, spray under pressure or roller. The main requirement is air temperature from +5 degrees. Consumes 100-120 ml of paint per 1 meter square and dries in 6-8 hours, after which it can be applied second layer. Thanks to the alkyd base, the substance is easy distributed over the surface and does not form sagging. By a variety of colors, there are 13 options where users in Reviews like gold, looking very natural.
Our experts assigned the product the first place in the ranking in view of anti-corrosion properties – even rusty metal can be painted without pretreatment. It saves time when updating decorative layer on the fence, gates and doors. Another product positioned as 3 in 1, which allows you to apply it immediately and how primer, and as a topcoat.
- 13 color options;
- unpretentiousness to surface quality;
- can be used for primer and top coat;
- universality in the method of application.
- high cost – one layer per m² will cost 83 r;
- only small containers of 750 ml and 2.5 l;
- there is an unpleasant odor;
- reliable protection of the product from the wind is required, since dust may stick within 2-3 hours after staining.
The Finnish product from the famous brand. The paint is made on an alkyd basis and contains anticorrosive pigment corroding rust on metal. The surface does not need to be cleaned, but can be painted immediately. After The drying metal has a semi-gloss finish. Consumption is 8-12 m² from 1 liter. Dilute the paint with a solvent, and Painting objects is allowed with a brush or spray gun. Application by roller is allowed, but after it is necessary brush alignment. The product is available in packaging from 900 ml up to 18 liters Buyers in the reviews are happy that this paint lasts until 8-10 years and do not have to carry out painstaking work to care for metal on the street every year.
We included the product in the rating for high resistance to moisture and ultraviolet radiation. Due to such properties, paint it is possible to paint metal roofs and drains. Decorative layer easily tolerates snow and rain. Enamel holds color for a long time and looks richly.
- can be applied on a galvanized surface;
- active pigment against corrosion;
- tested in harsh Finnish climatic conditions;
- good texture, not leaving streaks;
- service life up to 8-10 years.
- high price;
- White spirit of the same manufacturer is required;
- there are no ready-made flowers – only tinting, for which you have to pay extra.
Hammerite 3 in 1
In third place ranking is the product from the Polish company. Paint is positioned as 3 in 1 and is suitable for primers, middle layer filling and topcoat. it simplifies work and increases the security of the metal being exploited on the street. A new technology was used in the manufacture of the product. Dual Tech, which has few analogues among competitors. For protection metal from moisture is responsible not only for alkyd resin, but also greasy wax. The masters in the reviews like that the paint goes without drips and dries quickly within 2 hours. After hardening decorative layer painted elements have a glossy shine, increasing the presentability of the product. This is the best paint for decoration. forged window grilles, visors and fences on balconies to designs looked advantageous.
We put the paint in the rating of the best because of the presence in the composition wax. This natural component increases resistance to moisture, therefore, the metal receives double protection from rain and snow. Iron structures painted with Hammerit 3 in 1 are guaranteed to last no corrosion up to 8 years. The presence of wax in the composition makes metal less easily soiled.
- rich palette of colors – 17 shades;
- the surface becomes less dirty;
- water on iron structures does not spread, but keeps drops, which reduces the area of its impact and promotes natural runoff;
- unpretentious to the method of application.
- consumption from 73 to 180 rubles. for 1 m²;
- degreasing the surface is recommended;
- need a solvent for dilution;
- prints are clearly visible.
The fourth place in the ranking is given to Greek goods, made from alkyd resin and synthetic additives. Product differs in weather resistance. Paint can be distributed over metal roller or brush. When using a spray gun need a nozzle with a diameter of 4 mm. To decorative layer lasted up to 8 years; recommended thickness is up to 80-100 microns. When street temperature + 20º the surface will dry for 5 hours, after which you can start applying the second layer. Before painting no rust cleaning required. The consumption of the substance is 9-10 m² one liter. The complete rejection of the decorative layer comes after 96 hours. Only the white version is on sale, and the rest obtained by tinting.
Our experts decided to add paint to the rating due to the high resistance to water. Under static exposure, for example, when painted metal will be completely immersed in a liquid, iron will remain inaccessible to moisture for 24 hours. This is optimal. option for painting forged fences and gates with many complex elements that hold water on themselves.
- suitable for steel, aluminum, copper and galvanizing;
- converts corrosion;
- high mechanical strength;
- supports surface bending up to 1 mm per meter without cracking;
- resistance to burnout.
- work can be carried out at a temperature of +10 degrees;
- recommended to degrease the surface;
- need very good ventilation of the room;
- there are no ready-made flowers – only tinting.
Teknos KIRJO AQUA
In fifth place in our ranking is another Finnish product. Metal paint is made from acrylate base, therefore much more weather resistant than competitors. The composition contains anti-corrosion pigments. The substance is suitable for coloring new sheet metal and repair previously coated surfaces. Paint is available in two bases for tinting in light and dark colors. Solids volume is 38%. Buyers in reviews like that on stick the metal dries in 60 minutes at a temperature of +23 degrees. Carry over enamel on iron is possible with a brush or spray.
We included paint on metal in the rating of the best, since it can be diluted with water up to 15% without loss of properties. This gives significant savings (actually 15% of the finished paint buyers receive free of charge) and facilitates the washing of tools after work. She can also be painted with metal that was previously coated with industrial way (Purex, Pural, polyester, acrylic).
- dries off in 1 hour;
- each layer gives a thickness of 40 microns;
- high density of the substance – 1.2 g / ml;
- you can wash the tool with water.
- available in white base – other colors required tint;
- consumption of 7-8 m² per liter;
- not suitable for paint rollers.
On the sixth place of the ranking is goods from the Polish a manufacturer whose name Hammerite has become a household name for all colors with a combined black and color effect. Enamel consists of alkyd varnish, lightfast pigments, anticorrosive active ingredients and functional additives. There is no lead that customers like in reviews. You can paint the metal at a temperature of +5 degrees. Any type of application is allowed. The second layer can pass through 4-6 hours. Paint is available in containers of 250 and 750 ml, as well as 2.5 and 5 l, which is convenient for iron objects of different sizes.
Our experts liked the product with its unusual appearance after drying out. The metal surface looks minted manually hammer. This effect is very attractive and beneficial. distinguishes goods from monophonic enamels of competitors. By color scheme 11 paint options are available, each with a hammer Effect. We recommend enamel for metal doors to visually hide small irregularities of the canvas that occur in operation process.
- resistant to gasoline, oils and household chemicals;
- easy to apply;
- does not need preliminary metal cleaning;
- Suitable for outdoor and indoor use.
- very high cost;
- Hammerite solvent required
- hiding power 8 m².
Our rating is completed by goods from the Finnish brand Tikkurila. it gloss paint, produced in several bases for tinting. You can create 32,000 color options. After curing, enamel withstands temperatures up to 80 degrees without losing its color. The paint layer is resistant to light, which customers like in reviews. Enamel dries to stick in 1-2 hours. To get started you need to dilute the paint with a solvent. The goods are sold in small containers from 400 ml to 2.5 l. For staining, you can apply any tool.
Our experts put the paint in the rating because of the content natural wax. Double compound provides enhanced protection from moisture, and iron structures will last up to 10 years without the need for re-staining for this period. We recommend goods for garden fences, as well as items on industrial objects, since the paint can withstand turpentine, denatured alcohol, lubricating oils and various fats.
- forms an insoluble protective layer;
- double chemical formula;
- keeps spread of existing rust;
- preliminary metal preparation is not required.
- capacity no more than 2.5 l;
- the cost of painting 1 m² will cost 105-200 rubles .;
- in finished form, only 4 colors;
- diluted with solvent.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.