Soft toys give joy to children, but adults add worries – they quickly become polluted and can become a source of pathogenic microorganisms. Many of them require special care, therefore ordinary washing can ruin a child’s beloved friend. Our experts learned how to wash soft toys so that they kept their shape and color without harm to the health of children.
Basic care rules
Cleaning soft toys is a necessary procedure, especially if the child playing with them is allergic. Accumulate on their surface remnants of food and saliva, particles of the epidermis, and fillers become ideal environment for the reproduction of bacteria, viruses, dust ticks.
So that soft pets delight the child for a long time and do no harm his health, we give some tips on care.
- Wash (or clean) teddy bears, bunnies and other Pets are recommended every 3-4 months. If the child is not breaks up with his plush friends for a minute, eats and sleeps with them, you need to arrange washing at least once a month.
- Carefully read the care recommendations on the product label and follow them.
- Only wash and treat for children with detergents, laundry or baby soap.
Even those soft toys that the child no longer plays (but they stand on a shelf for beauty), must be washed every six months. It is advisable to vacuum them monthly, knock out dust and wipe with a damp cloth. Superfluous or unnecessary toys, we recommend storing in a plastic bag in a protected dust free place (e.g. in a cupboard).
How to wash
Depending on material, filler, size and internal soft toy mechanisms there are several ways to cleanse them various kinds of pollution. The easiest and most effective – wash in automatic machine. But not all plush products can stand it without loss of appearance or functionality, and some just do not fit in the drum due to the large size. For such soft favorites are provided the following ways:
- dry wash;
- superficial wet peeling.
Let us consider in more detail the features and rules of each method, and We will also find out which toys are suitable for cleaning.
If the tag on a soft toy allows machine wash, the task Parents are greatly relieved. But before you put product in the drum, we advise you to listen to the recommendations of our experts.
Check how firmly glued or sewn elements are on toy: eyes, nose, buttons, etc. If in doubt, that plastic parts may fall off during washing, you need to put “soft friends” in a special bag or pillowcase. You can also pre-tear them, and after drying sew back.
Wash delicately: at temperature 30-400FROM , spin not higher than 600 revolutions (in extreme cases – 800).
It is advisable to enable the extra rinse function so that completely remove any detergent residue.
Check the strength of the seams. Even from a small hole can get out the filler, which will then be collected difficult.
Do not forget to remove the music module and batteries, if any there are toys inside.
Severe dirt can be pre-washed manually baby or household soap.
It is advisable to put several toys into the car at once. one size, so that the drum rotates evenly, does not occur imbalance. Do not overload the machine. These measures will provide more high-quality washing and effective rinsing.
Handwashing is more tiring, but sometimes it’s the only the opportunity to put your favorite teddy friend in order, get rid from dirt and microorganisms accumulated inside.
Hand wash applies if the toy:
- with filler from sawdust, buckwheat husk, straw, rice;
- contains decor elements: rhinestones, beads, sequins;
- sewn from natural materials (walfdor dolls, felt, felt);
- with a long pile (he can fall down or get confused in washing machine);
- contains elements that may fade, discolor, or deteriorate when machine washable;
- too soft, prone to deformation.
We recommend manual washing as follows:
- pour warm water into the basin;
- add detergent suitable for washing children’s products, wait for its dissolution;
- soak the toy for 10-15 minutes;
- rub the particularly contaminated areas with a brush (you can use dental);
- rinse the product thoroughly in clean water;
- wrap in a towel so that it absorbs excess liquid.
While the toy is wet, it can be very heavy. Necessary to glass water, and only then can it be hung to dry. Сfor this purpose it’s convenient to put the toy for a couple of hours in an empty drum a washing machine.
Some toys do not tolerate moisture (e.g. with cardboard elements or from natural materials). They will have to be cleaned in a dry way. You can also treat furry pets large sizes that do not fit into the drum of the washing machine, and too heavy for hand washing.
To completely rid the baby’s furry toy friends of dust, dirt and microorganisms living inside, our experts advised to follow the following algorithm.
Vacuum the toy using a nozzle designed to cleaning upholstered furniture. If not, then vacuum without nozzles, tightly pressing the tube to the surface. Extreme caution need to be shown in places of glued parts or sewn elements.
- Put it in a plastic bag, pouring 4-5 tbsp. food soda.
- Close the bag tightly and shake so that the soda is distributed over the entire surface of the toy.
- Wait 10-15 minutes.
- After removing a soft friend from the bag, carefully shake the soda over brush the bathroom.
- To remove soda residues, you can again use a vacuum cleaner.
- If any dirt remains, clean it with using a cotton pad dipped in hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice.
- It is advisable to complete the cleaning with a steam generator, a steamer or a hairdryer.
For additional disinfection of toy pussies, which cannot be machine washed and exposed high temperature we recommend:
- in sunny weather, bring them to the balcony for 5-6 hours, periodically turning by different sides and substituting to the rays the sun;
- on a cloudy or rainy day you can use UV lamp (15 minutes on each side);
- in severe frosts put the toy on the street or balcony for 1-2 day (a small furry friend can be placed in freezer).
To clean soft toys of pathogens instead of soda can use food grade kieselguhr adsorbent powder (Diatomite). This is a substance made up of diatom residues. algae, absorbs moisture from dust mites, bacteria and viruses, which leads to their rapid death.
Wet surface cleaning
Soiled soft toy friends that cannot be washed can be surface cleaned with soapy water or foam.
Mode of application:
- in 1 liter of warm water dilute 1 tsp. baby powder or ¼ a piece of shabby laundry soap;
- beat the solution with foam by hand;
- Using a cotton cloth or brush, apply foam onto pile toys and rub;
- clean with clean water and a rag from the remnants of the detergent facilities.
Only places of contamination can be treated with soapy water or the whole toy. Then you should pat it dry with a towel and place dry in the sun.
How to wash a big toy in an automatic machine
If you get rid of the contamination of large toy pets dry or wet surface cleaning does not it turns out that our experts recommend the following method:
- open the seam located at the bottom of the toy;
- pull out the entire filler;
- sew a seam;
- put in the drum of the washing machine.
As a rule, even the largest furry without filler buddy fits in the drum. Do not forget about our advice experts before turning on the car – after all, on such toys there are items that can deteriorate from washing.
The filler can also be washed in a car by dividing it into several parts and placing in a pillowcase (if he doesn’t water procedures are contraindicated). After drying, only assemble the toy together and gently sew it up.
How to wash musical soft toys
Soft friends singing and telling verses need to be washed in the same way often, like silent teddy dogs, bears, or squirrels. For dry and wet surface is best suited for this cleaning.
If musical toys do not have wires stretched inside to feet or face, as well as other prohibiting wet exposure items, you can wash them manually or in a machine. It is only necessary to first get the mechanism and batteries.
Wet the music module that is inside the toy, not allowed. With a high probability after that he will stop work. Sometimes after washing and drying, the device continues function, but this is more likely an exception to the rule. Do not do it take risks if you don’t want your child’s favorite silent.
In some toy pets, a box with a mechanism located in a special hidden pocket. Then you only need pull it out before loading into the drum of the washing machine, and after drying back into place.
If there is no pocket, and the mechanism is inside, then open the seam. Proceed as follows:
- find the seam at the back or bottom of the toy, located as far as possible closer to the music block;
- gently tear it apart;
- take out the device;
- sew a seam so that the filler does not spill out;
- wash the toy.
After complete drying, the seam must again be flung, put back mechanism and gently sew up.
How to dry
To dry soft toys, we recommend horizontal surface, preferably in the sun. Ideal metal dryer located on the balcony or on the street. Furry friends should be put, leaving a gap between them, periodically turning over by different sides.
Most toys (except for knitted), washed and wrung in automatic machine, can be hung on a rope, fixed to the ears, paws or tail clothespins. It is not recommended to dry in suspended knitted products – there is a big risk that they stretch and lose their appearance.
If you follow our tips when washing soft toys, they will always be clean and fluffy, will not harm the health of children. After all, the main purpose of furry friends is to give joy, not turn into a source of danger.