Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Garden hand drills are used to create pits for planting seedlings or installing fences. The cost of a hand tool is cheaper than a motorized one, so for a summer cottage or a small garden in the courtyard of a private house this is the best option. Let's see how to choose a garden drill according to key parameters and which models are considered the best by buyers. This will narrow your search and help you better understand what to look for when buying.
- How to choose a garden drill
- Review of the best garden drills
- Fiskars QuikDrill Fiskars 1000640 (134730)
- BISON EXPERT garden manual, diameter 250mm
- TORNADO PROFI
- Sibrtech screw, diameter 25 cm
- Bison 39491-200
- FIT 110 x 11 cm
How to choose a garden drill
So, here are the key characteristics when choosing a manual garden drill:
- Borax type. It can be disk or screw. The first consists of two semicircles cutting the soil. To submerge, the operator moves the handle forward and backward, crushing the ground. The auger has a spiral that penetrates the ground when rotated clockwise. The second type has to be taken out less often for cleaning and it pulls more soil upward in one lift.
- Drilling diameter. It varies from 100 to 300 mm and affects the root system with which the seedling can be placed in the pit. The possibility of installing fence posts of a certain section also depends on this indicator.
- Change of attachments. Makes the garden tool versatile, allowing you to change the drilling diameter depending on your needs. But the presence of replaceable cutters increases the likelihood of backlash and reduces the strength of the structure, compared to monolithic ones.
- Drilling depth. The indicator can be from 80 to 150 cm. The larger it is, the deeper it will be possible to drill for pile installation, especially on soft soil.
- Weight. It is important to consider the weight of the drill when transporting long distances or when you need to use the tool all day. The weight of a manual drill can be from 1.5 to 6 kg.
- Convenience of the handle. The length of the lever affects the ease of rotation. The larger the handle, the less effort the user will have to exert.
- Collapsible or one-piece. The first type is stronger, but it is more difficult to transport it over long distances (transport it to the dacha in a train or car trunk). The second type of drills can be disassembled by disconnecting the handle and shortening the rod, but during operation it has a backlash.
Review of the best garden drills
Now let's move on to specific examples of garden drills that have good performance and have won the trust of customers.
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Review of the best garden drills||1||Fiskars QuikDrill Fiskars 1000640 (134730)||RUB 4 529|
|2||BISON EXPERT garden manual, diameter 250mm||RUB 5 530|
|3||TORNADO PROFI||RUB 1,050|
|4||Sibrtech screw, diameter 25 cm||724 RUB|
|5||Bison 39491-200||RUB 1,710|
|6||FIT 110 x 11 cm||796 r|
Fiskars QuikDrill Fiskars 1000640 (134730)
In the first place is a garden drill from the Finnish manufacturer Fiskars. The tool is of the disc type and is equipped with two semicircular knives. They are fixed to the bar with screws and can be changed to a larger or smaller diameter. Users in the reviews share that the design is strong and without backlash. The inventory weighs 2.2 kg and allows you to create pits with a depth of up to 90 cm with its own length of 110 cm. The metal is painted with powder coating, which increases the protection of iron from corrosion. The handle is covered with soft material for easy grip and non-slip. The end of the yamobur is equipped with a small screw cone to facilitate penetration.
The product is recognized as the best for the sharpness of the blades. To work on overgrown soil, it is enough to remove the sod around the perimeter of the future hole with a shovel. There is no need to dig pits with root picking – sharp knives will cut everything by themselves, which reduces the working time.
- easily cuts the ground;
- resistant paint on the structure;
- no backlash;
- the ability to change blades.
- it is difficult to work on clay soil with stones;
- the depth markings on the rod are quickly erased;
- high price.
BISON EXPERT garden manual, diameter 250mm
In second place is a garden hole from the Russian brand “Zubr”. The model belongs to the auger type and is equipped with self-sharpening cutters that do not need to be serviced during operation. Judging by the reviews, the owners like the product with the presence of sides on the auger that hold the ground when lifting the drill. This increases the productivity and speed of cleaning the pit. The tool is suitable for creating holes with a depth of 120 cm. The drilling diameter is 250 mm.
We considered the garden model to be the best due to the special handle created using the company's patented technology. It has a locking screw that allows you to move the perpendicular bar to the left or right relative to the bar. This helps to increase the lever by creating an L-shaped design instead of a T-shaped design. Due to this transformation, the garden tool passes stony layers of soil more easily. Another lock allows you to completely extend the handle, which reduces the dimensions of the goods during transportation or storage.
- the ability to drill holes with a diameter of up to 25 cm;
- self-sharpening auger;
- on the cutting part there is a side that holds the ground when removing the drill;
- comfortable handle.
- high price;
- the weight of 6 kg tires the hands during prolonged work.
Further, garden tools made of high-carbon steel from the domestic brand “Tornado”. Thanks to the wide auger, it will be possible to drill holes with a diameter of up to 200 mm. Borax metal is bright powder coated to prevent corrosion. The product weighs 2.6 kg, so it is easier to handle it with prolonged manipulations. From the factory, the auger is sharpened well enough that it allows you to start working immediately. Buyers in the reviews like that the drill bar can be gradually increased by installing additional inserts (the design consists of 4 parts). This ensures that the shank remains at the optimum size so that it is not too high when starting to drill.
The garden pit auger attracted our attention due to the forged working part, which withstands increased loads when colliding with stones or highly compressed soil layers. This drill element is always handcrafted at the forge. Another feature of the product is the ability to drill holes with a depth of 150 cm.
- there is a rubber handle on the vertical bar;
- collapsible design to reduce dimensions during transportation;
- the ability to adjust the height for the height of the user;
- relatively affordable price.
- the lever slides in the hands;
- there is a slight backlash during operation due to several inserts.
Sibrtech screw, diameter 25 cm
The manufacturer “Sibrtech” offers a garden auger-type manual auger with a working tool diameter of 250 mm. With its help, you can create holes or boreholes with a depth of 100 cm. Garden tools are made of structural steel. The handle is here attached to the rod with a screw and nut. This simplifies storage and transportation, but the owners in the reviews warn that the metal of the handle is very thin and from high loads it can come off at the place of welding. With the help of a welding machine, the pipe can be replaced with a thicker one, so many drills continue to serve until now. The iron is reliably protected from rust by powder coating. Rotating the lever is convenient thanks to two rubberized handles. The model weighs 2.46 kg.
In the reviews, everyone praises the garden drill for “gnawing” into the ground. This is possible due to the protruding teeth, which are equipped with small and large augers. This configuration allows you to cut through plant roots faster and lift rocks to clear obstacles out of the way.
- handle with rubberized handles;
- collapsible T-shaped structure;
- made of structural high-carbon steel;
- powder coating.
- if you have to drill clay with water (it sucks heavily), then when removing the drill, the handles bend;
- the working part is not forged, but welded from several segments – the welding seams can burst from the load;
- thin metal of the cross tube.
And here is another garden hole from the budget category. The tool is 110 cm long and 200 mm wide. The connection between the T-handle and the bar is dismountable. Inserts available separately to extend the length of the rack. Users share that when assembled, the design is reliable, without backlash. After intensive work, it is even difficult to disassemble it, since the thread assembly is strongly tightened from rotation. Judging by the positive reviews, garden tools are suitable for any soil, and it goes into sandstones like oil.
We found the drill to be the best because of the durable knives. They are made of tungsten carbide steel and have a thicker blade on the cutting edge. This increases the strength of the working equipment and prevents it from bending when hitting stones. To remove the latter, an incision is provided between the small and large augers, thanks to which the stones are removed to the side and do not interfere with the process.
- a gap is provided in the auger to let small stones pass;
- collapsible design;
- on sandstone it drills like butter;
- affordable cost.
- difficult to disassemble after prolonged work (the connection is tightened even more);
- the handles are not covered with anything.
FIT 110 x 11 cm
The review is completed by a garden hole auger from the Canadian manufacturer FIT. It is made of tool steel and has a rod length of 110 cm with a residual diameter of 110 mm. It can be used to mount narrow posts or plant garden crops. The inventory weighs only 1.5 kg. Screw type construction in which the rig is welded to the rack. The T-handle has soft plastic overlays to improve grip and reduce the likelihood of calluses. There is a powerful peak at the end of the working zone, which facilitates the beginning of deepening. Users in the reviews share that a narrow drill comes in handy not only in the garden, but also in the case of cleaning a drain pipe with a diameter of 120 mm.
The garden model is recognized as the best in terms of value for money. Of course, at this price, it is not made in Canada, but the tool is quite suitable for planting garden plants. A special feature of the drill is the configuration of the screw with 4 turns. The arrangement of the cutting tiers is quite tight compared to competitors' models, which reduces the stress on the tooling when working with dense soil layers.
- rubberized handles;
- powerful peak;
- optimal cost;
- made of tool steel.
- not suitable for drilling wells for installing a fence;
- the tooling has a welded connection with the rod;
- large distance between lance and cutting part.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.