Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
A set of skewers is a must if you like kebabs, picnics and everything related to these two things. Delicious, juicy meat cannot be cooked on aluminum glands, which are sold for almost a penny a bunch. It is important to choose the right skewers so that they are not only reliable and functional, but also suitable for the situation.
We have compiled a ranking of the best sets of five participants. In it you will find both simple options for a picnic on the weekend, and full-fledged handmade gift sets that you can give to your boss, partner or friend. You just have to choose.
- How to choose the best set of skewers
- Rating of the best skewer sets
- 'Master of the Forest' for 6 persons
- Old Master BBQ set 'Wild boar' 2 А03016
- Shampurchiki 'Lux' 450 mm (6 pcs. In an eco-leather case)
- BergHoff 4490312
- Gipfel 5931
How to choose the best set of skewers
Choosing skewers is an art. Of course, you can always buy simple flat skewers so as not to worry about their safety. But what kind of aesthetics and magic of barbecue cooking will be discussed then? High-quality skewers are a guarantee that it will be convenient for you to cook, and the meat will turn out delicious. We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the following selection criteria:
- Material. For barbecue, it is worth purchasing tools made of food grade stainless steel. Such skewers last longer, do less harm, and are more convenient to use. Wooden mini skewers are more suitable for serving cooked meat.
- Take a closer look at the surface. It is desirable that the steel be polished to a mirror finish. In this case, the likelihood that the meat will burn on the skewer is less, and it will be easier to remove it. It is important that there are no burrs or chips on the edges.
- Bend and material thickness. A good product should be flexible enough to keep its shape when stringing and subsequent cooking meat. Skewers that are too flexible will bend and cause the kebab to burn. In this case, the thickness of the blade should be at least 2 millimeters, not less. Ideally, if the skewer is angular, that is, it is bent lengthwise, as if having a groove along its entire length.
- Lever. It should be comfortable so that you can hold onto it while cooking without fear. The handles can be made of different materials to reduce the chance of overheating. Craftsmen also often prefer to use pens to create a unique design for a gift set of skewers.
- Pay attention to the shape of the blade. There are several shapes: flat, round, square and twisted. The first are the simplest and cheapest, they allow you to fry meat only on two sides. But such skewers are easy to clean. Round ones turn better, but meat slides on them – this is not the best choice. Square ones lie better, and the pieces do not turn on them, evenly roasting on all sides. Twisted skewers can lie on the grill as you like, the meat on them holds very tightly and securely. But they are more expensive and harder to wash.
- Length. It is necessary to select the length depending on the size of the barbecue. Choose so that on each side of the barbecue there is at least 5-7 centimeters of free skewer, excluding the handle. The optimal length is considered to be 60 centimeters – such skewers will fit almost any grill.
- Decide on the design. Yes, aesthetics are an important part of barbecuing and should be present in everything. Especially if you choose a set as a gift. Take a closer look at the skewer cover – it can be made from various materials and decorated in an original way. Craftsmen often make carved handles, which looks great in the cooking process. Moreover, these handles are very comfortable – they do not heat up and do not slip in the palm of your hand.
Based on these seven parameters, you can choose skewers for any occasion: for a picnic, as a gift, for an official event, and so on. We have collected the best models for any occasion in our rating. You just have to familiarize yourself and choose the most suitable option.
Rating of the best skewer sets
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Rating of the best skewer sets||1||'Master of the Forest' for 6 persons||RUB 12,790|
|2||Old Master BBQ set 'Wild boar' 2 А03016||RUB 8 190|
|3||Shampurchiki 'Lux' 450 mm (6 pcs. In an eco-leather case)||RUB 2,650|
|4||BergHoff 4490312||RUB 1,940|
|5||Gipfel 5931||622 RUB|
'Master of the Forest' for 6 persons
And our rating opens with handmade products, created by a real master of his craft. Skewers 'Master of the Forest' are made of the best steel, they are durable and reliable. Length – 60 centimeters: they will fit enough meat to feed any person. The shape of the blade is twisted, so you can grill the kebab evenly.
The handle is patterned, made of steel and processed in bronze. Inside there is a figurine of the owner of the forest – a bear. This shape allows it not to overheat too much when cooking. Although the wooden one might not have warmed up at all and looked even better. Products with such a handle look just great both on the grill and on the wall as a collectible.
The cover is made of genuine leather. It resembles an arrow quiver and is decorated with the image of a bear. There is a buckle for which you can attach a small strap for easy portability. It is not a shame to give such skewers to your best friend or business partner – they deserve the first place in the rating.
- Chic appearance: leather case, patterned handles.
- Convenient handle shape.
- Reliable and durable material.
- The handles are made of metal and can get hot.
Old Master BBQ set 'Wild boar' 2 А03016
This handmade gift set is not much inferior to the 'Master of the Forest'. It contains six skewers with wooden handles in an excellent leather case. Skewers are angular in shape, they are made of thick steel and will never bend even under the weight of heavy pieces of meat. The length is quite large – 70 centimeters.
The handle is made of fine wood. It is quite thick, fits comfortably in the hand and does not slip into the palm. The pommel is decorated with a boar's head cast in brass, which is why the set got its name. Wooden handles show themselves best when cooking barbecue – they do not melt, do not heat up, they are comfortable to hold. It is only important to ensure that the tree does not come into contact with fire.
The cover is made of genuine leather. It is stitched along the edge with a strong yellow leather band, which creates an unusual accent. The cover of the case contains a scorched image of a wolf against the background of the Moon, which further diversifies the look of the set. There is a dedicated carrying handle at the top. Such a cover will serve for many years.
- Sturdy wooden handle.
- A beautiful and reliable case made of genuine leather.
- Angular section.
- Non-standard length (70 centimeters) may not be suitable for small barbecues.
Shampurchiki 'Lux' 450 mm (6 pcs. In an eco-leather case)
Factory set of skewers made of quality materials. Inside the eco-leather cover there are six skewers with carved handles and protective rings from overheating. Material – high quality stainless steel, polished to a perfect shine. The thickness of the flat section is 3 millimeters, so that even the heaviest pieces of meat will not cause the product to bend. The total length is 67 centimeters, so it is enough for any barbecue.
Carved handles, wooden, made of natural beech. They are protected from overheating by special metal rings. Such a handle, despite its seeming smoothness, fits perfectly into any palm. It allows you not to worry that during operation the skewer will slip or even fall out on the ground.
Lovers of wildlife will be pleased that the cover is made not of ordinary leather, but of eco-leather. Such material is almost impossible to distinguish from natural, but it is more environmentally friendly and convenient to use. The manufacturers did without any special decorations – only leather, a metal plaque with the brand name and special handles for carrying and hanging the set.
- Beech wood handles with metal temperature protection ring.
- Perfectly polished surface.
- Sturdy case made of eco-friendly leatherette.
- The design may not seem so pretty and solid.
- Flat blade.
So, gift sets with various features have been described, now it's time to move on to regular skewers for a great picnic. The BergHoff set is one of those: these are classic flat-section skewers made of excellent stainless steel. The set contains six skewers 68 centimeters long. The thickness of the blade is the required 2 millimeters, so there is no need to worry that the blade will bend under the weight of the meat.
There is no handle as such – it's just a continuation of the blade with a small twist and a ring at the end. This handle will get very hot if you place it close to a fire, so be careful with it.
BergHoff does not have a cover – the skewers are supplied as they are, so they are unlikely to work as an expensive present. Such devices are suitable for those who appreciate the true Belgian quality and enjoy the reliability of the set.
- Nothing more, only high-quality skewers from Belgium.
- Low price with excellent reliability.
- There is no pronounced handle.
- There is at least some kind of storage and carrying case.
Finally, the rating of the best skewer sets closes with a simple option for those who do not cook a lot of barbecue. These are miniature stainless steel skewers only 45 centimeters long. They are well suited if you roast kebabs in a small company and prefer not to overeat meat. The blade is made with an angular section, therefore, despite the small thickness of the steel (about a millimeter), it will not bend under the weight of the meat. The set contains six skewers.
The handle of the Gipfel, like that of BergHoff, is practically absent – it is just an extension of the blade with a spiral at the beginning. There is a large ring at the end that heats up less than the rest. We recommend that you handle such skewers with care so as not to accidentally burn your hands when frying the kebab.
I was glad that the set has some kind of a case for transportation. It is made of nylon, is not decorated with anything except the manufacturer's logo and has a poisonous blue color. This shade allows you not to lose the cover in tall grass. On the front side there is a handle for carrying the set, which is quite convenient.
- The angular profile of the skewers will definitely not bend under the weight of the meat.
- There is a case for transportation.
- Low price for a set.
- Very short skewers – only 45 centimeters in total, are suitable only for small barbecues.
- There is no normal handle with overheating protection.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.