Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Micrometers, in contrast to calipers, allow you to obtain more accurate readings of the thickness and linear dimensions of various materials, which is important for turning, jewelry making or calculating the section of an electrician. Compared to mechanical micrometers, digital instruments are easier to use – they do not need to look closely at the risks on the scale, and the result is simply displayed numerically on the display. Magazine experts analyzed dozens of popular models and reviews available on them to select the best digital micrometers. An overview will help you see the differences in the capabilities of the devices, as well as their pros and cons, which will simplify the selection.
How to choose a micrometer
Before you go shopping, you should figure out which micrometer is better. It all depends on the accuracy you need, the operating conditions and the measured parts. Here are the key factors to look out for:
- Measurement range. Among the most common, there are four categories of micrometers that can measure a cross section from 0-25, 25-50, 50-75 or 75-100 mm. Ideally, it is best to have all four models in order to be ready to measure any part. Such an arsenal will be useful for a turner. For a jeweler, it is enough to do with the first option 0-25, since it simply does not work with large items. Micrometers with an upper limit of 125/150/175/200/225/250/275/300/400/500 and even 600 mm have been developed for special industrial applications.
- Measurement step. A digital micrometer measures the cross-section of workpieces, usually in steps of 1 μm or 0.001 mm. But there may be other values (for example 0.01 mm), so you need to check this characteristic in advance in the description and in practice.
- Accuracy class and error. There are two classes of instrument accuracy, where 1 is the best. The error of the device can be from 2 to 50 microns, so if you do not need high accuracy, but only need convenience in work, you can choose a micrometer with a low class.
- Dimensions and weight. The digital meter can weigh between 190g and 2kg, which affects the usability for hours on end. To keep your hands from getting tired, choose a micrometer with a lower mass. Dimensions (length) vary from 155 to 305 mm and more, and this affects the ability to put the device in a pocket or manipulate in a confined space.
- Ergonomics. Pick up the micrometer before purchasing. Enjoy the comfort of your left hand to see if it is covering the screen. The right one should easily reach the control buttons and ratchet. It is important that the elements that the operator is holding onto are covered with anti-slip materials and have a raised surface, otherwise the risk of dropping the device increases.
- Convenience of transportation. Buying a micrometer in a blister will allow you to use it permanently on your desktop. If frequent transportation is to be expected, then choose the product in a case equipped with a soft lining. This will prolong the “life” of the digital apparatus.
Top micrometers rating
It's time to review the TOP 5 best micrometers with a display that have good characteristics and are liked by buyers in reviews. Perhaps among them you will find a suitable product for your tasks, which has already been verified by users.
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Top micrometers rating||1||MIC 100854||RUB 16,271|
|2||NORGAU IP65 25-50mm-0.001mm 041057050||RUB 14,923|
|3||CHIZ MKTs-125||19 202 RUB|
|4||MEGEON 80800||RUB 4,120|
|5||Inforce 06-11-44||RUB 5,163|
In the first place is a micrometer with a multifunctional control unit. The user is provided with five rubberized keys, thanks to which it is possible to zero readings, set a relative zero, change the units of measurement. Customers in reviews are pleased with the function of saving current values to memory, which allows them to compare data after processing and see changes. The measuring range is 75-100 mm, so the device is suitable for large objects. The steel arch is equipped with an anti-slip pad and is comfortable to hold. With a 16.5 cm bend, the device can even measure pipe diameters up to 10 cm. Accuracy class 1 gives readings with minimal error. The digital scale step is 1 µm. The ratchet mechanism is designed in such a way that it protects the device from breakage when the drum rotates sharply.
A feature of this micrometer is the inclusion of the model in the State Register, and this allows the use of a digital instrument for official measurements. The measurement results can be taken into account in examinations.
- high-quality powder coating of metal;
- ratchet with plastic embossed handle;
- comfortable rubberized buttons;
- practical bar lock.
- high price;
- weighs 1 kg;
- sold without case.
NORGAU IP65 25-50mm-0.001mm 041057050
And here is another high-quality micrometer, included in the State Register, with which you can take measurements in the range from 25 to 50 mm. The measurement step is 1 µm, and the error does not exceed 2 µm, which is the minimum value. The product weighs 325 g, so it is much lighter than the previous model in the review. The contrast display makes it easier to see the readings in bright sunlight. The measuring surfaces of the micrometer are made of stainless steel, ground and lapped. The rest of the case is constructed of mild steel and enamelled. The product is supplied in a shock-resistant plastic case. The device is powered by an SR44 battery. If it “sits down”, then there is an engraved scale for mechanical measurement, which users like in the reviews.
The main advantage of the micrometer, for which we have included it in the list of the best, is the protection against dust and moisture at the IP65 level. This allows the device to be used not only in rain, but even under direct jets of water. Thus, the micrometer is suitable for measurements in difficult specific industrial conditions, for example, in the chemical or food industry.
- Sold in a shockproof case;
- does not slip out of hands;
- engraved second scale;
- comfortable rotation of the ratchet.
- high price;
- the clamping screw is sharp and will dig into the finger.
The third place was taken by the goods from the domestic manufacturer “CHIZ”. Micrometer MKTs-125 is designed to measure linear dimensions from 100 to 125 mm. The instrument has the first accuracy class, therefore the error does not exceed 2 microns, and the step of change of readings is 1 micron. But the device is quite large – its dimensions are 20x10x4 cm and it weighs 2 kg. The product is delivered in a wooden case, inside which there are foam inserts that protect the plastic parts and the screen from impacts. The set includes a 10 cm calibration pin, which helps to fine-tune the micrometer before work, zeroing the error. Reviews show that changing the batteries is very simple here by unscrewing the back plastic cover with a special key from the set.
Our experts considered the micrometer to be the best because of the large arc, which allows measuring the pipe diameter with high accuracy. The device also has the option of connecting to a computer via USB, which is useful for collecting and organizing data.
- Comes in a durable, padded case
- the set includes a calibration insert;
- protection against moisture IP54;
- engraved scale in case the batteries run out.
- high price;
- weighs 2 kg;
- it is not convenient to manipulate it everywhere because of the large size of the case.
But a worthy analogue for a lower cost is a digital micrometer with a linear length measurement range from 0 to 25 mm. The device is made on a steel base, but most of the body is covered with ABS material, so it does not slip. The drum wheel and ratchet are plastic and equipped with reliefs. A locking screw is provided. For control, there are only two buttons that allow you to turn on the micrometer and zero the readings during calibration. One CR1632 battery is required for power supply. The product comes in a plastic case, but there is no foam insert inside. The display readings are clearly visible in sunny weather when used outdoors. The micrometer itself is quite compact and fits easily in one hand.
This is the best micrometer in terms of price / accuracy ratio. Despite the cost 3-4 times cheaper than the above-described competitors, the product has an error of only 2 microns. The measurement step is 0.001 mm here. In the reviews, the owners praise the digital device for its accuracy in measuring cardboard, thanks to which it is possible to weed out dishonest suppliers.
- simple, intuitive control;
- affordable price;
- there is a possibility of fixing with a screw;
- elementary zero setting.
- no labels for graphical measurement;
- no calibration plates included;
- a lot of plastic – if it falls, it will crack.
The review is completed by a micrometer from the Russian brand Inforce. The measuring range is 0-25 mm. The device error does not exceed 2 microns. The digital device is powered by one CR2032 element. The dimensions of the case with a length of 15.5 cm make it easy to carry in a pocket and manipulate in hard-to-reach places. The embossed handle does not slip in the hand. On the display, the user can choose between metric and inch readouts. In the reviews, the owners praise the micrometer for the accuracy of measurements and the convenience of the location of the “paw” of the fixing screw. It faces the operator, not the outside, so you don't need to twist your hand to clamp the bar.
The model is ideal for frequent transportation and carrying with you in production needs. The micrometer weighs only 190 g, so working with it for 4-6 hours a day does not tire your hands. The product is delivered in a sturdy case, the corners of which are protected by steel plates. The case also remains intact if hit or dropped.
- The “foot” of the fixing screw is located more conveniently than that of competitors;
- simple control with two buttons;
- smooth running of the ratchet;
- choice of measuring system.
- no graphical scale;
- without calibration plates.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.