Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Belt sanders abrade wood, concrete and metal surfaces by rotating a flexible blade. These are more powerful tools than the delta type. How to choose a sanding belt machine and what the reviews say about the most common models, our experts figured out. The material will help you narrow your search and find a suitable grinder for specific tasks.
- How to choose a belt sander
- Rating of the best belt grinders
- The best professional-grade belt sanders
- Makita 9404
- Metabo BAE 75
- INGCO PBS12001
- BOSCH GBS 75 AE
- Makita M9400
- Hammer LSM 1000 PREMIUM
- ELITECH MShL 1200E
- Hyundai BS 900
- CALIBER LSHM-1000UE
- DIOLD MSHL-1U
- The best semi-professional belt sanders
- BOSCH PBS 75 A
- Makita 9910
- Hammer LSM 800 B
- MILITARY BS600
How to choose a belt sander
Let's note the main criteria for choosing a belt sander:
- Power. It happens 600-1200 W and affects the endurance of the power tool. Under the same operating conditions, more powerful machines will last longer. They also have better performance.
- Belt speed. The indicator varies from 200 to 500 m / min and also indicates productivity. During the same period, the machine will process a larger area at a higher speed than a machine with lower revolutions.
- The size of the tape. Length and width are measured. The parameters affect the area covered. Large belts are chosen for spacious surfaces, and more compact belts are used for sanding railings, posts and other narrow products. The consumable must also be distributed commercially, otherwise the tool will be useless.
- Weight. Weight affects ease of handling. Belt sanders can be from 2.5 to 7 kg.
- Additional functions. Various options allow you to work more efficiently. The speed control is useful for tough and loose woods. The soft start reduces energy consumption and eliminates the jerk at the beginning of the process. Keeping the rpm constant ensures the same result on a spacious surface, regardless of the varying force from the operator. The presence of a dust collector will make it easier to keep the workplace clean.
Rating of the best belt grinders
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best professional-grade belt sanders||1||Makita 9404||RUB 13,864|
|2||Metabo BAE 75||RUB 13,010|
|3||INGCO PBS12001||RUB 6,020|
|4||BOSCH GBS 75 AE||RUB 15 679|
|5||Makita M9400||RUB 9,500|
|6||Hammer LSM 1000 PREMIUM||RUB 6,849|
|7||ELITECH MShL 1200E||RUB 5 682|
|8||Hyundai BS 900||RUB 3,493|
|9||CALIBER LSHM-1000UE||RUB 3,173|
|10||DIOLD MSHL-1U||RUB 3,480|
|The best semi-professional belt sanders||1||BOSCH PBS 75 A||RUB 5,880|
|2||Makita 9910||RUB 6,392|
|3||Hammer LSM 800 B||RUB 3,480|
|4||MILITARY BS600||RUB 2,490|
The best professional-grade belt sanders
With the above characteristics in mind, we will consider specific models that have the most positive reviews and our experts liked for their features. First, let's touch on professional devices with a power of 900-1200 W, which are designed for intensive use.
The experts gave the first place to “Makita 9404”, which is endowed with a power of 1010 W and is able to rotate the sanding belt at a speed of 440 m / min. The size of the rig is 610×100 mm, so a large area of the area is immediately captured. The power tool is held by two handles. There is a branch pipe and a waste container at the back. On the right side there is a wheel for adjusting the speed. The trigger can be locked so that the trigger is not constantly pressed. After changing the belt, its position is automatically adjusted. The owners in the reviews like that the machine can be turned over, laid on a table or floor, turned on, and used as a machine, processing small parts, holding them in hands.
We found the belt sander to be the best in terms of endurance under intensive use. Numerous reviews confirm that for repairmen or carpenters, the machine has been serving 5 days a week for 4-5 years. At the same time, the owners change only consumables in the form of tape, brushes and carbon sole.
- high power 1010 W;
- the belt moves at a speed of 440 m / min;
- there is a speed control;
- immediately captures 100 mm in width.
- hands get tired faster from the weight of 4.7 kg;
- sometimes the bag falls off;
- it is difficult to buy a tape smaller than 180 units;
- the rear handle is not equipped with anti-slip pads.
Metabo BAE 75
In second place is the professional grinding machine BAE 75 from “Metabo”. The power tool is endowed with a power of 1010 W, like the leader of the review, but it already has rubberized grips, so it is much more comfortable to hold it. The belt speed of 450 m / min is slightly higher than the competitor, but the tooling size is smaller here – 533×75 mm. The set already comes with one cloth with a grain size of 80. The machine has a dust collector with a company inscription, as well as an adapter for connecting a vacuum cleaner. The manufacturer took care of the little things in the form of a hex key so that the owners can replace the sanding belt without any problems. The machine weighs 4.7 kg. The soft start ensures an accurate, jerk-free start.
Our experts and other users in their reviews liked the presence of a special bed for this grinder, which not only allows the use of the tool in an inverted form, but also provides grinding of workpieces at the desired angle. The position of the stop can be changed and fixed with a screw on the left.
- high-quality assembly;
- rubberized handles;
- belt speed 450 m / min;
- there is a smooth start to work.
- only 20% of the garbage gets into the dust collector, the rest flies into the air;
- can roll upside down.
In third place is an INGCO sander with 1200 watts. The device is equipped with a tape with dimensions 610×100 mm. On the right side there is a branch pipe for connecting a dust collector or vacuum cleaner. Two rubberized handles make it easy to hold. The start button can be locked with a small button, which is practical for long work. Owner reviews show that the car does not heat up during long grinding. She also copes well with hard wood species (hornbeam, oak, ash). All main units in it are made of metal and assembled without backlash. Replacing consumables, including brushes, is easy thanks to freely available fasteners.
This grinding unit is recognized by us as the best in terms of power, which does not drop under load. The 1200 W indicator allows the belt rotation speed to reach 500 m / min. All this contributes to increased productivity, which makes the machine suitable for sanding large volumes of wood (steps, walls, floors, etc.).
- protection of the outlet of the power cord from refraction;
- dust collector and adapter for a vacuum cleaner;
- locking power button;
- rubberized handles.
- large dimensions are inconvenient when processing narrow areas;
- you cannot work upside down;
- the weight of 5 kg quickly tires the hands.
BOSCH GBS 75 AE
In its blue series of tools, Bosch produces the GBS 75 AE belt sander with a power of 750 watts. Despite the relatively low power, it is capable of speeds up to 330 m / min, which is only possible for competitor models with an indicator of 1000 W, therefore the product is placed in the professional category. The speed can be adjusted here for wood of different density. The dimensions of the tape are 533×75 mm. All units for rotating the sanding strip are made of metal, which prolongs their resource. The model weighs 3.4 kg. Judging by the reviews of the owners, this is enough for working in a horizontal position without additional pressure from the operator. The set includes a parallel and crosscut fence, as well as a bed, which expands the capabilities of the grinding power tool.
We found the sander to be the best because of the design of the dust container. The bag is put on the branch pipe and fixed on an additional bracket with a pocket. This ensures that the shape is always straightened out and more dust gets into the container.
- speed is adjustable;
- front roller and all lower part made of metal;
- thoughtful ergonomics;
- there is a parallel and crosscut fence.
- high price;
- heats up quite quickly;
- expensive repairs (replacement of bearings, bushings and platforms).
This machine will be indispensable for working with cabinet furniture, making windows, processing floorboards, block houses or lining. The belt sander is equipped with a power of 940 W and develops a tooling speed of up to 380 m / min. Belt dimensions 610×100 mm facilitate fast processing of large areas. The dimensions of the machine itself are 354x175x168 mm, so it is easy to transport it with you to the place of work. Customer reviews show that the grip is comfortable thanks to the rubber-coated handles. The complete dust collector is complemented by a plastic sliding bar, which allows the bag to be quickly opened for cleaning. To use the machine upside down, you will need to attach a special trapezoidal plate.
This is the best belt sander for large, flat wood surfaces such as floors or paneled doors. While 6.2 kg is a disadvantage when used in an upright position, it is a plus at the bottom – the operator does not need to push the tool at all, but only slightly guides it.
- the main handle is fully rubberized;
- there is a key lock;
- the mains wire is protected from refraction;
- branded garbage bag included.
- the mass of 6.2 kg is heavy to hold on outstretched arms;
- speed is not regulated;
- it is impossible to work in an inverted position without additional devices.
Hammer LSM 1000 PREMIUM
The belt sander has a power of 1200 W and accelerates the tooling to a speed of 500 m / min. Belt size 610×100 mm is suitable for sanding doors, floors and other large surfaces. The speed can be adjusted using the wheel on the main handle. Locking the start key relieves stress from the operator's index finger. The model is equipped with a dust collector. In the reviews, all owners praise the sander for its power and an absolutely smooth surface without burrs, which is left behind, but the 6.75 kg weight is very tiring for the hands. Despite the large mass, the balance of the machine is adjusted correctly and it does not fall on its side. Masters note excellent directional stability.
The advantage of this walking belt sander is the housing, most of which is made of metal. This design provides quick heat dissipation and allows the power tool to be used longer than competitors with the same power rating
- there is a tape speed regulator;
- the mains wire is protected from refraction;
- delimiter of the start button and the rest of the handle;
- no gaps and distortions.
- weight 6.75 kg;
- for some, the speed regulator closes in one position and is not controlled.
ELITECH MShL 1200E
Among the budget professional options for grinding, Elitech MShL 1200E stands out, with a power of 1200 watts. The sanding belt with dimensions 610×100 mm unwinds up to 400 m / min. The body has two handles with rubber pads. There is a system to prevent accidental starting and fixing the power button. The revolutions can be adjusted depending on the tasks and the density of the processed material. In reviews, customers like the location of the adjustment wheel. When used upside down, it is positioned on the operator's side, rather than the other way around, for easy setup.
This belt sander is recognized by us as the best in terms of price-performance ratio. You can buy a tool for 5000-7000 rubles, depending on the store, but for this money the manufacturer provides a grinding stop, a tape, a dust collector and clamps to fix wooden blanks. Taking into account also the maximum power of 1200 W, then this is the best product in terms of price and quality.
- good equipment;
- high power 1200 W;
- you can work upside down;
- there are clamps for fixing.
- most of the lower system is made of plastic;
- for many, the weight of 5.5 kg is large;
- noisy operation of the engine and gearbox.
Hyundai BS 900
Hyundai Corporation offers a budget sander with a power of 900 W and a belt speed of 400 m / min. The dimensions of the tooling are 533×75 mm. The device weighs 3.6 kg. The transmission of torque from the motor to the abrasive belt rollers takes place via a toothed belt that does not break or slip. Judging by the reviews of the owners, the quality of assembly and plastic milling of the device is good. If you connect it to a vacuum cleaner, heating is significantly reduced. Therefore, despite the budgetary cost, the product is quite suitable for professional use.
Although there is no function to hold RPM under load, with 40 grit and minimum RPM, it is impossible to stop the rig. Therefore, we recommend the grinder for the most delicate tasks where precision and precision under load are important.
- you can adjust the rotation speed;
- flying sawdust falls into the bag;
- the start key is fixed;
- attractive price;
- all rotating assemblies are equipped with bearings.
- noisy work;
- the tape often slides towards the body.
If you need a powerful grinder, but funds are limited, then pay attention to LSHM-1000UE. It has a power of 1000 W and accelerates the belt up to 360 m / min. The main handle is covered with rubber and is equipped with speed control, as well as a start button lock. The device weighs 3.6 kg, so it is impossible to work with one hand. The size of the tape is 533×76 mm. Users in the reviews share that the machine has enough power “for the eyes” and it copes with all the tasks that more expensive competitors do.
We have rated this grinder as the most affordable professional high power grinder. Impressive characteristics of 1000 W and a speed of 360 m / min will allow you to easily and quickly process wood or concrete floors, but given the poor build quality, the device's resource is not very long, so it is not suitable for daily use. According to the instructions, she can work for 5 minutes and then let it cool for 10 minutes.
- comfortable back handle design;
- variable position of the front handle;
- good overview of the working area;
- collects dust effectively.
- after processing, burrs may be present on the surface;
- rough network cable;
- the front bearings in the rollers quickly grind.
Outwardly, this grinder is identical to the one described above, but it is produced by another manufacturer. It is similar in power and has 1000 W, but the rotation speed is slightly higher here – 380 m / min versus 360 m / min. The size of the tape is also the same – 533×76 mm, but the manufacturer managed to reduce the weight of the machine a little, which is 3.5 kg. The front handle can be repositioned to help you set up a comfortable grip for vertical or horizontal grinding. The rubberized back of the handle prevents slipping when your hands sweat.
In our opinion, this is the best belt sander in terms of the range of accessories. On more branded models, ribbons with a certain grain size can be difficult to obtain, and they are expensive. Here consumables are present with any gradation at a penny price. Spare parts for the tool are also inexpensive and are sold in every city.
- comfortable handles;
- there is a possibility of stationary installation and fastening of the clamp to the “ears”;
- powerful enough;
- lockable start key.
- weak attachment for the dust collector;
- working time is limited;
- it is difficult to find thin clamps that fit the diameter of the “ears”;
- buzzes loudly.
The best semi-professional belt sanders
This type of equipment is suitable for a private workshop or hobby. The power of the grinding machines of 500-800 W provides a good result, and due to not intensive operation, the machine will last for 5-10 years.
BOSCH PBS 75 A
In the semi-professional line of Bosch there is a PBS 75 A grinder with belt dimensions of 533×75 mm, which is capable of rotating at a speed of 350 m / min. The design is notable for a rigid dust collector that will not crumple from accidental pressing by the operator. The container can be rotated on the nozzle to provide the desired configuration of the machine in an inconvenient location. The two handles are covered with anti-slip pads and the sander is securely held by the user. The machine weighs 3.4 kg and the maximum power is 710 watts. Owners love the feedback that the ribbon is automatically centered, making it easier to work with and better quality.
Experts considered the sander to be the best because of the ease of changing the abrasive belt, which is done in three touches. There is a lever lock on the outsole that instantly releases the rig when twisted. With the second movement, the operator removes it and with the third movement installs a new one. It takes 5 seconds and is optimal when sanding surfaces with different grades of abrasive is required.
- turning the dust collector in any direction;
- rubberized handles;
- trigger lock;
- on the right side of the housing, grinding is carried out to the very corner.
- heats up quickly;
- the steel sole is very thin and dangles a little;
- with strong pressure on the tool, the revolutions begin to “sag”.
The device has a power of 650 W and accelerates the belt up to 270 m / min. The manufacturer has provided the machine with a dust collector with a bottom bar, which allows the bag to be opened quickly for cleaning. Belt size 457×76 mm is suitable for both sanding boards and processing narrow parts. The overall dimensions of the 262×130 mm model make it easy to transport in a carry-on bag. The cable for plugging into the outlet is provided with double insulation, so accidental stripping of the tape on the cable will not damage it quickly. Users love that the belt sander is relatively light (2.7kg) compared to the competition, so there is less hand fatigue with it.
Among semi-professional grinders, this machine is considered one of the most durable. Owner reviews show that during operation every week, the power tool can work up to 12 years without breakdowns. For a home workshop or wood hobby, this is a very worthy period.
- double insulation protection;
- the sanding belt is automatically centered;
- relatively light weight 2.7 kg;
- dust collector with easy cleaning system.
- the handles slide a little in the hands;
- no speed regulator;
- drive rollers and belt wear out quickly;
- the tape rubs the side surface slightly.
Hammer LSM 800 B
Belt sander with 800 W power and 290 m / min rotation speed. The surface is processed over a width of 75 mm. The model weighs 3.5 kg. The power tool is capable of adjusting the speed and is complemented by a support frame, two clamps and a dust collector. Reviews show that owners love the optional tilt handle. This is achieved with a swing arm, so it doesn't take much time. Thanks to this solution, it is easy to adjust the tool for convenience when working on vertical or horizontal surfaces.
In our opinion, a semi-professional grinder is the best in terms of visibility of the area in front of the device. If in other models, due to the high body, the master cannot see what is happening in the immediate vicinity of the machine, then here the front roller has a diameter of 10 mm, so it is much smaller in height. Also, the designers have provided a rising visor above it, which opens up even greater access for the review. This is useful when you need to carefully grind a part only to a certain point, without going beyond it.
- adjustment of the number of revolutions;
- fixing the start key;
- lever for easy belt change;
- second handle with variable angle of inclination.
- when the support frame is worn, you cannot grind to the very corner;
- the sole is not even enough;
- plastic smells unpleasant;
- a lot of dust flies past the dust collector.
The MILITARY brand produces one of the cheapest belt sander machines, which has a power of 600 W and a tool size of 457×75 mm. The device weighs 3.2 kg. The maximum rotation speed is 250 m / min. The machine is equipped with a rigid dust collection container. The rear handle is rubberized, and the front handle is just a protrusion for the stop. It has a wheel for changing the number of revolutions. The owners in the reviews note that the tape is centered by itself and does not move out during operation. But it is better to connect the device to a vacuum cleaner, otherwise it will quickly become clogged with chips and overheat.
A clear advantage of this grinder is its price, which is 2-5 times cheaper than competing models. If the power tool is needed only for periodic work, then you should not overpay. There are also molded plastic support pads on the body, allowing them to be used as legs for upside-down work. They are hollow and come with two clamps to insert into the holes and press against the table. This will prevent the machine from “jumping” from vibration.
- there is a speed control;
- the start key can be locked;
- molded legs are provided on the body to turn the machine over and work as with a machine;
- hard dust collector;
- two clamps included.
- it is inconvenient to hold on with the second hand – it slips;
- heats up quite quickly;
- quickly clogs up without being connected to a vacuum cleaner.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.