Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
In order to maintain order at their summer cottage on their own, a branch shredder is needed. The machine will grind roots, flower stems, vines, twigs and shrub trunks, which will serve as a subsequent good fertilizer. For processing a large volume of branches in places where many trees have been cut down, professional models are used. They reduce the size of waste, making it easier to clean up and transport waste. In order to choose the right garden equipment, we have prepared a rating of the best branch shredders. An overview of product characteristics and customer reviews will narrow your search and suggest gardening equipment for specific tasks.
- How to choose a garden shredder
- Rating of the best wood choppers
- The best electric wood chippers
- Viking GE 420 3 kW
- BOSCH AXT 25 TC 2.5 kW
- WOLF-Garten SDE 2800 EVO 2.8 kW
- Makita UD2500 2.5 kW
- AL-KO LH 2800 2.8 kW
- BOSCH AXT Rapid 2000 2 kW
- ZUBR ZIE-40-2500 2.5 kW
- PATRIOT PT SE24 2.4 kW
- Champion SH250 2.5 kW
- The best gasoline shredders
- MTD Rover 464 Q 7.5 HP
- CHAMPION SC6448 6.5 HP
- Viking GB 370 4.5 HP
- PATRIOT PT SB76 6.5 HP
How to choose a garden shredder
Immediately before the rating, we mention a number of parameters that should be paid attention to when choosing a garden shredder of branches:
- Type of food. There are electric and gasoline models. The former are easy to maintain and quieter, but depend on the length of the wire. The latter are more powerful and autonomous, but weigh more and work louder.
- Power. In electric models, it is prescribed in kW, and in gasoline in horsepower. The indicator varies from 1.5 to 4 kW, or 3-8 hp. respectively. The thickness of the branches to be broken and the speed of work depend on the selected value.
- Knife system. It can be disk or milling. Circular knives are cheaper, but they will only cope with thin stems of flowers, leaves, shrubs. They can always be removed and sharpened. The milling cutter will cut off twigs and branches up to 8 cm in diameter, but replacing it will cost more. There are shredders with a combined system that combines several types of knives.
- Weight. Gardening equipment weighs from 10 to 100 kg, which affects the convenience of moving around the site and the ability to transport to a remote location.
- Equipment class. Shredders are divided into household, semi-professional and professional. The class determines the duration of continuous work and the possibility of breaking.
Rating of the best wood choppers
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best electric wood chippers||1||Viking GE 420 3 kW||RUB 75 805|
|2||BOSCH AXT 25 TC 2.5 kW||RUB 28,729|
|3||WOLF-Garten SDE 2800 EVO 2.8 kW||RUB 20,540|
|4||Makita UD2500 2.5 kW||RUB 18 100|
|5||AL-KO LH 2800 2.8 kW||RUB 18,990|
|6||BOSCH AXT Rapid 2000 2 kW||RUB 15 800|
|7||ZUBR ZIE-40-2500 2.5 kW||RUB 8,670|
|8||PATRIOT PT SE24 2.4 kW||RUB 6 550|
|9||Champion SH250 2.5 kW||RUB 6,990|
|The best gasoline shredders||1||MTD Rover 464 Q 7.5 HP||RUB 80,900|
|2||CHAMPION SC6448 6.5 HP||RUB 40,200|
|3||Viking GB 370 4.5 HP||RUB 72,920|
|4||PATRIOT PT SB76 6.5 HP||RUB 61,990|
The best electric wood chippers
Electric shredders are lighter than fuel units, they are quieter and do not emit harmful emissions into the atmosphere. Their indisputable advantage is the lack of maintenance. But in terms of power, they are inferior to gasoline ones and are limited in range by the length of the network cable. Models with a power supply of 380 V are used permanently in enterprises related to wood processing. Units 220 V have proven themselves well on the farm and at dachas.
Viking GE 420 3 kW
The first place in the rating is taken by a product from Austria. The shredder has a power of 3 kW and develops revolutions up to 2800 per minute. The model provides for the separation of the upper part of the hull into two loading bays. A funnel-shaped intake for bulk materials is formed at the top, and a tray for long branches opens below. This simplifies the work, making loading more convenient. Inside there is a double knife system, and the maximum diameter of the branches that can be broken is 50 mm. The shredder is compact in size – the height is 137 cm, so it is convenient to work with it, and it will not be difficult to find a storage space.
We ranked the shredder as the most powerful among the semi-professional models. It is suitable for a large garden area with many trees. A double knife system with a powerful gear and a second row of discs ensures a long service life of the equipment and fine wood cutting. Owners in reviews note the safety of using the shredder thanks to the One Click switch, which stops the engine with one touch.
- two loading holes;
- high power;
- grinds branches with a diameter of 50 mm;
- a set of tools for disassembling and cleaning knives included;
- combined knife system.
- high price;
- the plastic case quickly loses its appearance from scratching by branches;
- there is no grass-catcher at the exit (throws ground garbage into a heap);
- weighs 53 kg – moving on soft surfaces (grass, soil) is difficult.
BOSCH AXT 25 TC 2.5 kW
In second place in the rating is a product from the German company Bosch. The chopper is endowed with a power of 2500 W and can handle branches with a diameter of 4.5 cm. The model moves around the area on two wheels. On the operator side, there is a D-handle and a control panel. Branches and leaves are loaded vertically, for which there is a large funnel at the top. To prevent debris from scattering to the sides, a collection box is integrated from below. This ensures that the workplace is always clean and it is easier to remove waste material, which is what the owners like in the reviews.
Our experts have ranked the shredder among the best due to the turbocharged system. 8 knives are parallel to each other, and their ends are connected by two rings. This design provides automatic tightening of the branches, which increases operational safety. It also contributes to increased productivity – the shredder passes through itself up to 230 kg of branches per hour. This is the best option for grinding material when clearing land for the construction of a private house.
- convenient control panel from the operator's side;
- wide loading funnel;
- turbine grinding system;
- the bunker is replaceable – in case of a breakdown, you can buy a spare part;
- own feeding system.
- protection in the form of a limit switch does not always work;
- high price;
- plastic case;
- just crumples grass and leaves, does not grind like a lawn mower;
- the inner fork is too deep.
WOLF-Garten SDE 2800 EVO 2.8 kW
The third place in the rating is given to another German product, but from the manufacturer Wolf-Garten. The direct production of the wood chipper is carried out in China at the brand's production facilities. The unit has a power of 2.8 kW and is suitable for breaking out trunks with a thickness of 4.5 cm, reducing their size by 10 times. The cutting and feeding mechanism is a double knife made of hard steel. The blades are sharpened on both sides for increased productivity. Under the engine compartment there is a spacious grass catcher made of impact-resistant plastic. It has its own handle, so it is convenient to take out and carry waste.
Our experts liked the shredder with its high U-frame. Thanks to this design, even tall users will find it convenient to load branches without tilting. The chopper control panel is also raised to the waist level, which makes it easier to access the keys and increases operational safety (it takes less time to detect and press the engine brake, unlike the leader of the rating, which has buttons at the bottom).
- the motor has overload protection;
- there is an emergency stop mechanism for the motor;
- develops up to 2850 rpm;
- Rigid waste bin, 45 l.
- loud work with noise 104 dB;
- with a weight of 35 kg and small wheels, movement on soft ground is difficult;
- the disc has only two knives;
- a small funnel on top.
Makita UD2500 2.5 kW
The fourth place in the rating is given to the Japanese model, which has a triple knife on the drum inside. The owners in the reviews share that it is easy to sharpen – the process can be performed at home with an ordinary file. In order for the branches to enter it correctly, an additional aluminum clamping device operates. The motor power of 2.5 kW allows you to grind trunks with a thickness of 45 mm. Larger branches will not give a receiving hole. To receive garbage, a rigid grass catcher with a volume of 67 liters is provided, which exceeds the performance of the above models.
According to our experts, the shredder has earned a place in the ranking for several reasons. It has wide rubber tread wheels that prevent sinking on soft ground and facilitate transport. The cable plug is located under the hopper and the handle, so swinging branches will not accidentally hit the cable. If a lot of leaves have got into the drum and it wedges, then a reverse is provided for easy clogging.
- convenient container for dumping the contents into the compost pit;
- there is a blocking of the engine;
- at the exit, small barrels from branches – 1 cm in length;
- if the operator forgot to install the container, the shredder will warn about this with a flashing indicator.
- the container locks are tightly closed – you need to lubricate;
- unstable design – staggers when setting branches, 2 m long (you have to hold it with your hands);
- clogged with leaves and grass.
AL-KO LH 2800 2.8 kW
The fifth place in the ranking belongs to another German model. The shredder has a 2.8 kW motor and belongs to the semi-professional class. The maximum diameter of the branches to be ground is 42 mm. The unit is equipped with a tubular frame and powerful wheels for confident transport in the garden. The hopper is finished with impact-resistant plastic and has a handle for transportation. The shredded materials are collected in a 48 liter grass catcher. It has its own handle for easy removal of the container. Buyers in reviews praise the presence of a reverse, which helps to quickly release the channel in case of blockage.
We ranked the shredder for having a milling knife. Thanks to the powerful cutting gear, the machine will last a long time. The advantage of this technology is the confident holding of branches, 150 cm long – the machine clamps the butt and pulls it inward, which increases safety for the user.
- quiet work;
- attractive price;
- compact dimensions, convenient for storage;
- simple control panel;
- container with a handle.
- supplied without power cable;
- does not grind small pine cones;
- the size of the fractions is 4 cm – it does not work less.
BOSCH AXT Rapid 2000 2 kW
This place in the ranking belongs to the compact wood chipper from the Bosch brand. The Rapid model name indicates the use of a special knife in the system, increased strength. Carbon steel does not wrinkle when hitting hard knots and remains sharp for a long time. Owners praise the product in reviews for such a thick blued steel knife that is easy to sharpen. The element is so durable that its resource will last for 10 years. The shredder is equipped with a 2 kW motor and chops branches with a diameter of 35 mm. The design provides for the substitution of textile garbage bags under the outlet. Since the shredder does not have a device for tightening the branches, a pusher is included in the kit to protect the operator's hands.
According to experts, the shredder has earned a place in the ranking due to its weight of 11.5 kg. This is the best option for a woman or a very elderly person to easily remove the tops from the garden after the season. The machine easily chops not only dry shoots, but also juicy stems of courgettes, cucumbers, cabbage leaves.
- the manufacturer gives a 2-year warranty;
- the knives rotate at a speed of 3650 rpm;
- low electricity consumption;
- light weight – 11.5 kg;
- automatic stop when knives are driven in.
- the diameter of the branches is limited to 35 mm;
- the design does not stand well when laying tall shrubs;
- does not like grass and leaves – it quickly clogs up and wedges.
ZUBR ZIE-40-2500 2.5 kW
A shredder from a domestic manufacturer is in seventh place in the rating. It is a frame structure with four support points and a rigid grass catcher. Thanks to an electric motor with a power of 2.5 kW, it will be possible to grind branches with a thickness of 4 cm. Inside there is a circular knife with a double-sided sharpening. Such a system is not capable of tightening branches, therefore a pusher handle is attached to the device to feed grass and small shrubs to the cutting elements. The container immediately holds 50 liters of shredded material.
Our experts have put the shredder in the rating due to the low price for a semi-professional model, which is almost 5 times more affordable than European products. The garden shredder is distinguished by its light weight – 14 kg, which will be appreciated by housewives caring for the garden. The design also provides additional guides in the funnel, so long branches do not hang out on the sides, but are purposefully fed to the knives.
- product warranty 5 years;
- rotation speed 4050 rpm;
- works much quieter than competitors – 95 dB;
- rubberized start key;
- additional guides in the funnel.
- the emergency stop button is hidden deep – it is difficult to quickly reach it;
- the circular knife dulls quickly;
- passes up to 100 kg of branches per hour;
- clogged with fresh tops.
PATRIOT PT SE24 2.4 kW
The eighth place in the ranking is occupied by an American brand, but has long been produced in China. The shredder is manufactured with an S-shaped tubular frame, at the top of which there is a funnel and a handle for transportation. The electric motor has a power of 2.4 kW and according to the passport characteristics the device is designed for branches with a diameter of 4 cm.But buyers in reviews warn that with frequent grinding of such a thickness, the shredder quickly heats up and the gearbox bearing may deteriorate. The optimal working values are 2-3 cm. The disc system functions inside, therefore the shredder is equipped with a pusher. When not in use, the rig can be attached to a special clip on the frame to avoid losing it.
We have listed the product in the rating as one of the most affordable. But since it belongs to the household class, the shredder is only suitable for working on weekends at your dacha. It is a great choice for maintaining a flower greenhouse or vegetable greenhouse.
- pusher included;
- wheels with high tread;
- there is a mount for the pusher on the frame when it is not needed;
- weight 14 kg.
- heats up quickly – you need to give time to cool;
- at the outlet, the channel is narrowed, therefore it is often clogged;
- the thickness of the trunks is 4 cm 'will chew', but it is better to grind the branches, with a section of up to 2-3 cm.
Champion SH250 2.5 kW
On the ninth place in the rating is another domestic household-class grinder. Assembling the model in China ensures an affordable price. The garden unit is endowed with a power of 2.5 kW and will cope with branches with a thickness of 4 cm.But the instructions warn that this diameter applies only to freshly cut wood. The model has a convenient funnel and an auxiliary pusher. Rotation of the circular knives is carried out at a speed of 4000 rpm. The owners in the reviews note that it will not work by accident to start the engine; this will require the simultaneous pressing of two buttons.
Although this is a simple household shredder, it made it to the rating for several reasons. The technique has the lowest weight in the category – 11 kg. The device can be used both at home and when transporting it to relatives in the trunk. This is a good alternative to campfires when cleaning your garden or garden in the fall. The model also has the narrowest distance between the wheels, which simplifies transportation on garden paths, 40 cm wide.
- motor overload protection;
- attractive price;
- there is a lock against accidental launch;
- the motor winding is double insulated.
- no grass catcher included;
- unstable structure when loading long branches;
- intended for fresh growth only.
The best gasoline shredders
Gasoline shredders are much more powerful than their electric 'counterparts', which expands the possibilities for their use time and the thickness of the branches that break. It also allows them to be transported and used in any area, regardless of the availability of food. This is beneficial when clearing the area for construction, removing garbage after felling trees in a residential area. But they work louder and emit smoke into the atmosphere. Gasoline units also require maintenance in the form of an oil change. They weigh more, and to transport the equipment you may need a walk-behind tractor or a car.
MTD Rover 464 Q 7.5 HP
We gave the first place in the rating to an American professional-grade shredder. The device is made entirely of metal and is equipped with a 2.5 liter gasoline engine. The power unit has a four-stroke operation and is easy to maintain. The owners in the reviews share that they operate the branch shredder even in winter, but only need to fill in the appropriate oil designed for negative temperatures (5W30). The fuel tank holds 3.8 liters and consumes about 1.7 liters per hour. The garden equipment is equipped with a large hopper that can easily hold even long logs of 2 m.
According to our experts, the shredder deserves first place in the rating due to its increased power of 7.5 HP. This allows him to cope with branches up to 75 mm thick, and buyers in reviews report that he chews 80 mm in diameter. Another advantage of the model is the work for 9 hours without interruption, which does not harm the internal combustion engine and equipment.
- container for 90 liters;
- wide hopper;
- the four-stroke engine does not require mixing fuel with oil;
- assembly directly in the USA.
- weight 75 kg is heavy for manual transportation;
- high price;
- there is no instruction in Russian;
- a strong recoil is felt in the hand when cutting short branches from 100 cm.
CHAMPION SC6448 6.5 HP
The second place in the rating is occupied by a domestic gasoline chopper, which costs half the price of an American one, but its price still remains high. The unit is made in a vertical housing and is completely constructed of metal. The construction weighs 72 kg, but the shredder is stable, and large branches will not damage the device. The torque is transmitted to the cutter by a four-stroke 2.0 liter engine. A 3.1 l tank is installed in the fuel system, which is enough for almost 3 hours of operation. The shredder has wide tractor-tread wheels for easy transport around the garden. The maximum section of the branches to be ground is 50 mm.
The experts put the product in the rating due to two receiving holes, which increase the convenience of work. The upper hopper has a large diameter, so it is quite easy to fill up the leaves and twigs, you can directly from the bucket. For thick branches, a pipe with rubber bumpers is provided. It is located at the bottom of the machine, so there is no need to raise your arms high.
- comfortable starting with an electric starter;
- full metal body;
- large receiving container for 85 liters;
- develops revolutions up to 3600 per minute.
- weighs 72 kg;
- high price;
- structurally not suitable for transportation by car or walk-behind tractor as a trailer.
Viking GB 370 4.5 HP
The third place in the rating was awarded to the Austrian model with a 4.5 hp engine. The shredder is capable of breaking branches with a diameter of 45 mm. The product has an L-shaped frame and a vertical loading hopper. This ensures excellent stability during operation. The Multi-Cut Cutting System rotates the blades at 3000 rpm. The unit weighs 45 kg, which is much lighter than competitors. But his wheels are thinner and it is more difficult to roll garden equipment on soft ground. To start the motor, pull on the hand drive from the side. This excludes accidental activation, but requires effort at the start. The shredder is not equipped with a receiving container and additional bags must be purchased.
We have added the product to the rating of the best, as the most compact in the category, which is convenient for storage or working in a confined space (for example, in a small yard). The vertical configuration with a height of 140 cm fits easily under a ladder or in a shed. In the reviews, users praise the model for its fine grinding, 10-30 mm long.
- 2-year manufacturer's warranty;
- Austrian assembly;
- knife system Multi-Cut 350;
- good stability due to the wide undercarriage.
- manual engine start;
- high price;
- the motor is not covered by anything and is located next to the funnel (branches are poured onto it);
- no collection container.
PATRIOT PT SB76 6.5 HP
The fourth place in the ranking belongs to the American brand. The garden shredder is powered by a four-stroke 6.5 hp engine. The product belongs to the professional class and cuts branches with a diameter of 75 mm. Compared to European counterparts, the shredder's price is much more affordable. This is due to a complete set with a motor from the Chinese company Lifan. But, judging by the reviews, the power plant is quite 'tenacious'. It is also easy to start the device, but depending on the humidity and air pressure, you have to play with the carburetor flap. The model weighs 70 kg and is made of thick iron. The fuel tank holds 3.6 liters of fuel.
The product got into the rating due to the wide upper funnel, where you can fill in armfuls of tops of potatoes, tomatoes, small branches. This saves a lot of time. Thick logs are fed into a separate channel at the bottom. Even with the largest branch diameter, the chopper speed does not drop. This model also has the ability to be attached to the towbar of the car, so transportation over long distances is simplified.
- powerful wheels with pumped air;
- four-stroke engine;
- splitting diameter of branches 75 mm;
- thick metal construction;
- easy to start.
- no receiving container;
- weighs 70 kg;
- loud work;
- Chinese-made Lifan gasoline engine.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.