Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
The circuit breaker is installed after the electricity is supplied to the apartment or house. It can be common or separate, to protect the lines laid to different rooms to consumer devices. The automatic device operates to shutdown in two ways: with thermal overload and with short circuit. In the first case, the passage of the increased current inside the machine heats up the plate that opens the contact. This prevents the wiring from melting the winding. In the second case, when two phases are closed, the electromagnetic unit reacts, instantly shifting to the off-side, which protects the cable from fire, and the electrical equipment from damage.
Unlike fuse plugs, the machines are reusable and, after the problem is eliminated, they can be turned on again to restore the electrical circuit. Such devices are used to equip living quarters, hospitals, schools, workshops and workshops. To facilitate the choice, we have prepared a rating of the best manufacturers of circuit breakers, based on consumer feedback and the characteristics of the products.
- How to choose a circuit breaker
- Rating of the best circuit breakers
- The best foreign manufacturers of circuit breakers
- Schneider Electric
- General Electric
- The best Russian manufacturers of circuit breakers
- Best China Circuit Breaker Manufacturers
How to choose a circuit breaker
Before considering the rating of manufacturers, we recall the main criteria for choosing circuit breakers so that the subsequent data in the TOP are understandable. Automatic circuit breakers for electrical circuit protection are chosen, paying attention to:
- Maximum rated current. The indicator varies from 1 to 6300 A, and depends on the section of the wiring. For example, if wires with a cross section of 1.5 mm2 are laid in the house, then an automatic machine from 15 to 20 A will do. You can find out the wiring parameters from the data on the winding or by measuring the diameter of the bare core.
- Number of poles. Varies from 1 to 4. Allows powering several lines at once from one machine. This saves space in the dashboard and speeds up the connection, but when one of the directions is triggered, all will be de-energized at once. It also affects the connection to a single-phase or three-phase network. For the latter, it is practical to choose modular designs with three or four poles to completely de-energize the circuit with one device.
- Estimated load. This parameter is closely related to the cross-section of the wire, but also depends on the power of the connected devices to the line (electric kettle, electric stove, microwave oven, multicooker, etc.). For example, if the total load on the machine is 5 kW, then an indicator of 25 A is needed.
- Response characteristic. This is the response time to an increase in transmitted power. In an apartment where there are no high starting currents, it is worth purchasing circuit breakers with a B value, implying instant response. In a private house with a powerful electric boiler, characteristic C is suitable, which passes the primary increased current, and reacts only if it does not decrease in the first seconds. For a workshop with machine tools, choose electrical goods with category D.
Rating of the best circuit breakers
|The best foreign manufacturers of circuit breakers||1||ABB||4.9|
|The best Russian manufacturers of circuit breakers||1||Contactor||4.8|
|Best China Circuit Breaker Manufacturers||1||EKF||4.8|
The best foreign manufacturers of circuit breakers
When choosing circuit breakers, most people prefer foreign brands, since they are of better quality and more durable. Here is a list of manufacturers from Europe and the United States that have the most reliable reputation.
This manufacturer belongs to the Swedish brand in the ranking and is known to many professionals for its bright red logo with the abbreviation. The company has the widest range of circuit breakers, including the latest TruOne models and others. The rated current range from 0.5 to 100 A covers the needs of any building. In addition to the production of electrical goods, the manufacturer is engaged in training, having organized the ABB University in Russia. In the Learning Center, customers and craftsmen can get complete information about the applied technologies in order to better understand the benefits of the products.
Our experts have included the manufacturer in the rating of the best as the most reliable. Circuit breakers of the Swedish brand have many positive reviews both among ordinary users and in professional circles. Protective devices are made in a sturdy plastic case and are equipped with sturdy handles that will not break off even with frequent use. This is the best option for equipping a switchboard in an apartment or a private house, in order to forget about replacing damaged machines.
- compact dimensions of the case of single-pole models, easily fit into the shield;
- goods with a high level of security maintenance;
- most circuit breakers are easy to install;
- neat assembly without burrs or unevenly poured edges;
- there are even four-pole circuit breakers.
- high price;
- some switches have disposable slots for fixing to a din rail – if you need to remove the device and reinstall it again, it may not work;
- few variants of type D.
It is a French manufacturer, ranked second in the ranking of the best and stands out for its wide range of products. Today there are four lines in the catalog: DRX – for industry, and DX, RX, TX for household needs and small workshops. The manufacturer produces machines with poles from 1 to 4. The developer uses dustproof enclosures and simplified access to the terminals. The main feature of the company is the allocation of an empty space on the front panel (above the toggle switch) so that the electrician can apply auxiliary markings during installation.
We have added the manufacturer to the rating because it has models rated for the highest voltage and amperage. The company manufactures circuit breakers with a rating from 6 to 630 A, including 125, 260, 320 and 400 A. This allows them to be used not only in everyday life or hotel complexes, but also in industries where powerful machines are used. Users like the reviews that in addition to the B and C series, the manufacturer has devices with fixed settings, where the owner can choose the response speed depending on the connected equipment.
- products with poles 1-4;
- models with rated current from 6 to 630 A;
- individual response settings;
- high protection against counterfeiting with laser application of a barcode and logo on the case.
- sometimes a marriage comes across;
- the handle of the toggle switch is not the most accurate;
- high price.
This French manufacturer confidently entered the TOP-3 and is recognizable by its green badge on a white background. The company is a global expert in energy management and has been on the market for 170 years. Three series of circuit breakers are available: Acti9, Easy9 and Brownie. According to the nominal response, the devices are designed for an indicator from 0.5 to 63 A. The manufacturer pays great attention to safety, so all the terminals are recessed deep into the case, and the inlet holes are molded with stiffeners to prevent breakage from the pressing thick wire.
We included the manufacturer in the rating because it has many modular models. The release of several single-phase circuit breakers in one housing simplifies the arrangement of the switchboard, saves space and speeds up the connection. Owners and electricians in their reviews like the comfortable toggle handle grips containing grooves on the crossbar – due to this, the machine can be conveniently put into operation after triggering.
- products for any number of poles from 1 to 4;
- the switch handle is comfortable and easy to hook with your finger;
- three series of circuit breakers for different needs;
- strong holes in front of the terminals.
- rated current is limited to 63 A, which makes them of little use in production;
- curve code is only available in options B and C;
- relatively high cost;
- only suitable for combination bus.
It is an American manufacturer whose machines can be identified by their bright orange toggle switches. The company specializes exclusively in the household series, developing circuit breakers with a rating from 0.5 to 63 A. The breaking capacity is provided for all models at a single level of 6 kA. There are up to 30 types of protective devices on the market that interact with a single- and three-phase network. The manufacturer offers products for 230-400 V AC networks. Buyers in the reviews share that from the famous brands, the electrical goods of this company are slightly cheaper.
According to our experts, the manufacturer has earned a place in the rating for high wear resistance. The cheapest circuit breaker from this brand is capable of transferring up to 10,000 electrical operations (electromagnetic coil that cuts off the contact during a short circuit) and 20,000 mechanical disconnections (open circuit with static heating). Therefore, it is worth taking a closer look at the devices of the American brand if the machine is frequently triggered even despite the correctly selected values.
- high build quality of the case;
- endurance with frequent triggering;
- toggle switch with relief for better finger contact and easy pressing;
- compact dimensions for tight installation inside the control room.
- high price;
- small selection by varieties;
- rated current limit 63 A;
- tripping characteristic – only one type C.
The German brand in the ranking, known all over the world. It produces three series of circuit breakers, of which SY are made directly in Germany, and SJ and SX in the Czech Republic and Romania. But the quality of the whole product is good. Breaking capacity trips at 6 kA. The machines have openings for cable entry with a cross-section of 0.5 to 35 mm2. The screws securing the tightening of the terminals have caps for Pozidriv slots. This ensures a firm hold and retains the shape of the cap even after repeated reconnections.
We included the manufacturer in the rating because of its soft drive products. If the circuit breaker has tripped, it is very easy to restore the circuit thanks to the flexible lever with minimal resistance. Reviews users like their special design, offset to the bottom (and not in the middle, like other manufacturers), which makes it easier to access with your fingers in a narrow junction box.
- fully protected case from accidental touch;
- firm fixation to the rail in the flap;
- especially convenient toggle switches;
- easy installation and installation of wires.
- the price is the highest in the category;
- on sale you can find mainly household models with a value of up to 63 A;
- concentrate activities on the manufacture of a trip class of only one type (C);
- you need a special screwdriver to tighten the screws (PZ).
Products manufactured in Serbia. The manufacturer offers in the catalog the series of circuit breakers PL4, PL6, PL7 and FAZ. Their rated current is limited to 63 A and a cable with a cross section of 25 mm2 is allowed. The ruler figure indicates the power of the machine, where PL4 is the weakest (up to 4.5 kW). There is another separate industrial PLHT series, which is designed to carry voltage through cables with a cross section of 32 mm2 and an amperage of 125 A. FAZ models include extended functionality, where the buyer can choose the breaking capacity according to the 6 or 10 kA standard.
Our experts rank the manufacturer among the best for the high safety of circuit breakers. Unlike other products from the rating, each machine has a window under the toggle switch that changes color when triggered. A red window indicates an open circuit, and a green and on position. Masters in reviews like the versatility of the connection, where you can choose to mount to pin or fork tires.
- increased contact security;
- color designation of the actual position of the contacts;
- versatility for mounting on the bus;
- a wide range of protective devices from five series.
- electrical resource of operation is lower than other brands and is 4000;
- the price of Serbian goods is higher than French ones;
- some find it hard to find the original because the products say Eaton (the company's second combined name) and not Moeller.
The best Russian manufacturers of circuit breakers
Domestic companies producing automatic disconnecting devices have made great strides in recent years. New technologies were applied for casting casings, creating a contact group and developing a design. Here is a rating of Russian manufacturers, whose products will help to save a little on European brands.
The first place in the rating of domestic manufacturers is occupied by the Kontaktor plant. At first, the company produced classic models of circuit breakers, but then retrained and began to focus on industrial series. The company manufactures circuit breakers both for mounting on the busbars in the shield, and in separate housings, designed to be placed in an individual place and closed with casings. The household series is designated 'Kpro' and supports amperage up to 100 A, all other machines are exclusively industrial.
As our experts have established, the circuit breakers of this manufacturer have no analogues in the rating for the maximum power of protective devices. In addition to the 'youngest' VAZ series, designed for currents up to 250 A, the 'Proton' units are capable of interacting with voltages up to 1600 A, and the 'Electron' line up to 6300 A. As can be seen from the characteristics and reviews, this is the best option for large industries and enterprises with a lot of electrical equipment in need of protection.
- there are models with adjustable protection against short circuit and overload;
- operating current range from 16 to 6000 A;
- laser engraving on the body;
- all equipment has a certificate of the Customs Union TR CU 004/2011.
- unsightly design of switches;
- few household models;
- high cost for a domestic product;
- the contacts are located flush with the parts of the case (and not sunk into the depths), therefore, if the master is carelessly handled, it can shock.
A domestic manufacturer from the rating, which began its activity in 1945. Today, the production area occupies 60,000 m2, on which up to 1900 machines operate. The company's products are divided into two lines and are produced under the brands 'KEAZ' (classic machines, time-tested) and KEAZ Optima (embodying all the latest developments and know-how). A distinctive feature of the manufacturer is the manufacture of circuit breakers for both direct and alternating current.
According to our experts, the manufacturer deserves to be in the rating, since it is constantly developing and trying to keep up with European technologies. For example, he has in his catalog a series of OptiDin BM circuit breakers, which are distinguished by their slim design and latches on the body. The novelty allows you to attach a shunt release or auxiliary contact modules. All actions take place in one touch, which is what the masters like in their reviews.
- there are devices for direct and alternating current;
- the company manufactures many additional accessories for switches (handle interlocks, signal contact modules, trip units);
- reasonable price for classic models;
- Slim compact design of electrical products.
- all new items are expensive;
- classic models have a service life of 1-2 years;
- simple design.
A domestic company called Delixi Electric, which produces circuit breakers under the DEKraft brand. A separate line was launched in Moscow in 2007 and is now known in Russia, the CIS and abroad. It is supplied to Europe under the second brand name Himel. Manufacturing facilities are located in China in three cities, which contributes to the production of high volume products and affordable cost.
We have ranked the manufacturer as the best in terms of price and durability. When the contacts are opened from a short circuit, the device will withstand 6000 cycles, but if the wiring is heated gradually from the increased load, then the device will be able to disconnect the circuit and recover after cooling the jumper up to 25000 times. Even European counterparts do not have this ability.
- all factories comply with ISO9001 international certificates;
- automatic circuit breakers are independently tested in international centers TUV (Germany);
- for wholesale deliveries there are warehouses in Yekaterinburg and Moscow;
- signatures on the state of the switch position in Russian.
- due to the release under several brands, it is difficult to understand whose product it is;
- current limitation 63 A;
- inlet openings are designed for cables with a cross section of no more than 25 mm2.
This manufacturer is in the rating with a legal address in Russia, but the production of electrical goods is established in China to reduce the cost of the process. The company's catalog contains about 4000 items, among which there are 200 types of circuit breakers. Every year the brand tries to develop new models, for which it operates its own laboratory, and tests, for solidity, are ordered at independent European centers. Among the modular machines, models are produced with 18 rated currents from 0.5 to 64 A and characteristics B, C and D.
The manufacturer was added by us to the rating, because it makes the best products for the price, and its automatic devices are not of the lowest quality. For example, models have deep-seated contacts, a narrow, thick plastic housing and an active display window with two colors (red and green). At the same time, they cost half the price of imported ones, which is liked by absolutely all users in the reviews.
- simple connection with a curly screwdriver;
- informative contact status window;
- very affordable price;
- accurate response to both systems (mechanical and electromagnetic).
- marriage often comes across;
- it is difficult to predict the service life;
- with a short circuit in the wiring or electrical appliance inside, the machines burn out a little.
Best China Circuit Breaker Manufacturers
We also included in the rating Chinese companies that actively supply their products to Russia and the CIS. For the price, the goods cost the same as in Russia and even lower, so the devices are perfect for protecting wiring in places with low loads and a minimum of equipment.
This is a Chinese manufacturer in the rating, which is a direct competitor to the Russian IEK. It produces goods of similar price and of approximately the same quality. Since 2001, the manufacturer has been called 'Flavir', but in 2007 he re-branded the brand and expanded the range, entering the international level. Today the companies have 40 production sites and more than 3500 items of goods. According to the machines, there are one-, two- and three-pole devices designed for alternating currents of 240/400 V. The minimum value of the rated current starts from 6 A.
We marked the manufacturer in the rating due to the availability of switches with insulation withstands 690 V versus 660 V for competitors in the range. If there is a high voltage spike, they will better survive it. This affordable product also wins in terms of the number of electrical shutdown cycles: 10,000 versus 6,000.
- automatic devices comply with GOST R 51327.1-2010;
- there are modular and differential automata;
- protect against overcurrents;
- the manufacturer promises a warranty of up to 5 years.
- small selection at par among small values;
- may periodically turn off spontaneously;
- sometimes difficult to start after shutdown (toggle switch returns to off position).
Chint's products are 'pure China', not trying to disguise themselves as other countries. But the manufacturer produces products at the factory and provides a wide range of circuit breakers, which would be impossible with a 'handicraft' production. Modular devices are divided into NB1, DZ47, DZ158, NBH8 series. Additional accessories are available for the NB1 line. All devices are designed for alternating current up to 400 V. The machines are made in a narrow case with IP20 protection.
Our experts rated and added the manufacturer to the rating as producing the cheapest electrical products. All masters and ordinary users in the reviews agree that this is the most affordable option. At the same time, Chint is an 'industrial China', not a self-made product, and the goods are accompanied by quality certificates.
- all kinds of response characteristics (B, C, D);
- options for modular models with poles 1-4;
- rated current with a step of 1 A in the range of 1-6 A;
- the ability to install emergency contacts.
- low wear resistance of the electromagnetic part – 4000 cycles;
- operating temperature range from -20 to +40 (for others up to + 50º С);
- for wires with a cross section of no more than 25 mm2;
- awkward toggle lever (slippery and narrow).
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.