Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
It is convenient to cut thin branches of shrubs, fruit trees and flower stems with a pruner – it makes a cut accurately and correctly forms it, without injuring the plant, does not leave torn fibers, but provided that a correctly selected and high-quality tool is used.
By the type of blades, secateurs are divided into 3 types:
- Flat with one main and a second curved counter blade. Since, according to the rules, the cut is made at an angle, the tool is directed to the remaining part with the main blade. The planar pruner is suitable for cutting branches and stems up to 22 mm in diameter, the size of the handles and blades should be selected based on the expected front of work: for cutting flowers, the minimum size of the device is sufficient, for branches – a more powerful one.
- The contact pruner is designed for cutting dry branches up to 25 mm thick. Its blade is slightly displaced relative to the counter-blade, but it is located exactly above it and, when the handles are squeezed, rests against the recess – the anvil. This arrangement increases the pressure force, making it possible to cut branches with minimal effort.
The secateurs also differ in the type of working mechanism:
- Classic (lever) is a kind of scissors. It is inconvenient to cut branches with such a pruner due to the need for great effort.
- With a ratchet mechanism. In these there is a lever that allows you to cut thick branches with a diameter of up to 35 mm in several stages, dividing the effort into several steps. Both flat and contact pruners are equipped with a ratchet mechanism, it significantly reduces the applied forces.
- The power drive assumes the use of a block with a spring and a system of internal increase in pressing energy, with such a tool you can cut thick branches in one motion. Lift pruning shears are heavy.
- Cordless secateurs are automatic devices for cutting thin and thickened live and dry branches and shoots. You can use the tool completely effortlessly – the mechanism performs the necessary pressure and the reduction of the blades on its own, the gardener only needs to press the lever or button on the power tool body. One battery charge lasts up to several hundred cuts.
- The grafting pruner is a special tool for cutting rootstock and scion (for grafting plants). The tool cuts a young branch and a trunk of an ideal shape for each other, after which it remains to connect them like a puzzle and secure. Thus, the plants take root much better. The tool is useful for breeders.
In the rating of experts of the online magazine, the best models of different types of pruners, recognized by professional gardeners and lovers of summer cottage work, are presented.
- Rating of the best secateurs
- Best Ratchet Secateurs
- Fiskars 111670
- GARDENA SmartCut 8798
- Centroinstrument 0133
- Best Power Secateurs
- FISKARS Garden Pro P90
- RACO 4206-53 / 143S
- WOLF-Garten RS 2500
- GRINDA 8-423001
- Best cordless secateurs
- Wolf Garten Li-Ion Power RR 3000
- RYOBI RLP416
- Best hand grafting secateurs
- WIPRO 07-001
- FINLAND 1455 center tool
Rating of the best secateurs
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best Ratchet Secateurs||1||Fiskars 111670||RUB 1,419|
|2||GARDENA SmartCut 8798||RUB 2 057|
|3||Centroinstrument 0133||552 r|
|Best Power Secateurs||1||FISKARS Garden Pro P90||2 435 RUB|
|2||RACO 4206-53 / 143S||RUB 690|
|3||WOLF-Garten RS 2500||RUB 1,130|
|4||GRINDA 8-423001||184 r|
|Best cordless secateurs||1||Wolf Garten Li-Ion Power RR 3000||RUB 6,900|
|2||RYOBI RLP416||4 180 rub.|
|Best hand grafting secateurs||1||WIPRO 07-001||1 390 rub.|
|2||FINLAND 1455 center tool||1 230 rub.|
Best Ratchet Secateurs
The ratchet mechanism makes it easier to handle thick branches, reducing the effort required.
The best rated ratchet pruner is the Fiskars 111670, which is a contact type. It is designed to work with thick branches up to 20 mm, it is convenient for decorating hedges, and is used for artistic cutting of shrubs. The peculiarity of the model is the unique and effective PowerStep ratchet mechanism, which independently determines the thickness of the branch and rebuilds the option – the own development of the Finns. The tool is light – only 140 grams with a length of 18 cm, the handles are made of material pleasant to the touch, equally comfortable for right-handers and left-handers. The blades are made of strong steel with a sharp edge and an anti-friction coating that prevents damage from severe friction when cutting.
Gardeners describe the Fiskars 111670 pruner as a convenient and versatile tool for working with dry and live branches of trees and shrubs, but some note the inconvenience of the weld on the lower handle, we recommend working with gloves or changing the grip for a more comfortable one. Another advantage of the tool is protection against accidental pressing.
You can buy Fiskars 111670 for an average of 1600 rubles.
- Light weight;
- Autonomous determination of the cut option depending on the thickness of the branch;
- Safety guard against accidental pressing;
- Suitable for right-handers and left-handers;
- Sharp sharpened blades with anti-friction coating.
- Inconvenient weld on the lower handle.
GARDENA SmartCut 8798
In second place in the rating is a pruner with similar characteristics to the leader GARDENA SmartCut, only it weighs all 300 grams, but there is a loop for a lace on the hand (sometimes the seller applies it) – no need to think about where to put the tool between picking branches. The PowerPlus ratchet mechanism makes the cut neat and well-formed, the precision sharpening of the blades with anti-stick protection contributes to this. The pruning shears are made of aluminum with an anti-slip coating, comfortable to grip and pleasant to the touch despite the metal. For storage, the mechanism provides a lock from opening.
Currently, the model is modernized, the working ratchet mechanism is hidden in the handle for safety and increased tool life.
The price of GARDENA SmartCut 8798 is from 2,200 rubles.
- Cuts branches up to 22 mm;
- High precision blade sharpening;
- Convenient ergonomic shape of the handles;
- Lanyard ring;
- Precise cut;
- The ratchet mechanism is hidden in the handle for convenience.
- Relatively heavy weight of 300 grams;
- High price.
The third in our ranking is the Centroinstrument 0133 with precision-ground titanium blades. The ratchet mechanism allows you to work with branches up to 20 mm in diameter, a return spring returns the blades to their original position, and a locking clip prevents accidental opening when stored or carried in a pocket.
The Centroinstrument 0133 sector is equipped with comfortable aluminum handles with a rubber anti-slip coating: a lever and a loop for a comfortable and secure grip. The total length of the secateurs is 175 mm. The miniature tool is ideal for working with thin shoots of shrubs, trees, for cutting flowers.
You can buy Centroinstrument 0133 for an average of 600 rubles – the lowest price in the category.
- Compact size and weight;
- Opening lock;
- Precisely ground titanium blades;
- Rubberized handles with finger loop;
- Powerful ratchet mechanism for a compact tool;
- Low price.
- Not suitable for working with thick branches and with a diameter of 20 mm copes with the force.
Best Power Secateurs
The lift mechanism is designed according to the principle of a lever with a redistribution of the incoming force directly at the handles. With such a tool, you can cut a branch at a time with a single press, the pruner is more versatile and reliable even in comparison with a ratchet drive, but the cost of products is much higher.
FISKARS Garden Pro P90
FISKARS Garden Pro P90 Leader in the Power Sector Rating Category with coated steel blades. When using the tool, the value of the pressing impulse significantly increases, from one time you can cut a branch with a diameter of up to 26 mm, so it is strange that the manufacturer characterizes the pruner as a decorator for hedges, he does not care about trees. The handles are made of durable plastic, their comfortable shape also increases the pressure and does not allow the tool to slip out of your hands.
The length of the product is 230 mm with a weight of 300 grams, this is the optimal combination for long-term work with dry and live branches in a fast mode, which is facilitated by a ribbon spring, which quickly returns the blades to the working open position after the cut. For safety, the design provides a blade holder.
The average price of FISKARS Garden Pro P90 is about 2,800 rubles.
- Suitable for cutting thick branches;
- The anti-stick coating on the blades also protects against scratches;
- Belt spring for blade return;
- Comfortable handles;
- Perfect sharpening.
- High price.
RACO 4206-53 / 143S
In second place in the rating is the power-driven pruner RACO 4206-53 / 143S, designed to work with branches with a diameter of only up to 20 mm. This is due to the design of the tool: length 210 mm, weight 340 g. The spring used is a tape spring, more reliable than a wire spring, flat curved blades made of steel with precision sharpening and a protective coating are blocked from opening if necessary.
The handles of the pruner RACO 4206-53 / 143S are made of aluminum, therefore, significant pressure is safe for them. A pleasant-touch covering of the handles and a relief under the fingers on the lower handle protects from slipping in the hands, there is a rotary handle with the ability to change the angle in the hand to 900. The manufacturer defines the RACO pruner as a tool for trimming hedges, but there are no problems with spring pruning of fruit trees , judging by the reviews of summer residents.
The price of RACO 4206-53 / 143S starts at 772 rubles.
- Convenient handles with a rotary handle;
- Ribbon spring;
- Coated hardened steel blades;
- Powerful lever mechanism with a secateurs length of 210 mm;
- Low price.
- Not defined.
WOLF-Garten RS 2500
In third place, the pruner WOLF-Garten RS 2500 with straight contact blades capable of cutting a branch up to 25 mm in diameter by means of a power drive. At the same time, the length of the tool is only 19 cm, and the weight is 210 g. Is the lightest model in the category. Steel blades are perfectly sharpened, they are suitable for decorating shrubs and hedges, but they are not fully comfortable to work for a long time: plastic handles with an anti-slip coating are straight without relief and protrusion for the anatomy of the hand, but they are suitable for both right-handed and left-handed people, equipped with a thrust plate and a blade lock to prevent unnecessary opening.
In general, the WOLF-Garten RS 2500 pruner is a versatile tool for pruning trees and shrubs in the garden, but not in large volumes. You can buy it from 1130 rubles.
- Cuts off thick branches up to 25 mm;
- Reliable steel blades;
- Robust design and powerful drive.
- Not the most comfortable fit in the hand.
Closing the rating in the category of power pruners is the most modest GRINDA 8-423001, capable of cutting branches only up to 18 mm in diameter, although the total length of 210 mm and the weight of 260 grams are identical to the stronger models discussed earlier. Its purpose is to decorate shrubs and cut flowers, the tool copes with these works perfectly, moreover, it sits like a glove in the hand: the aluminum thin handles are curved, do not slip due to the coating, significant effort is not required when compressing them, and the blades are thrown back by a ribbon spring.
The blades deserve special attention: they are flat, made of hardened steel with an additional protective coating, curved. When cutting, no protruding fibers are left due to the tight connection of the two cutting blades. The pruner serves without sharpening for more than one season, does not require special handling skills and does not tire the hand when working.
You can buy GRINDA 8-423001 quite inexpensively – from 214 rubles.
- The most affordable price in the category;
- Blades do not dull for a long time;
- Suitable for cutting thin branches and stems of flowers;
- Comfortable handles.
- The blade blocker is not the most reliable.
Best cordless secateurs
To work with thick branches, to eliminate thin-stemmed trees and their shoots in large quantities, it is much more convenient to use an electric pruner, in which the blades close independently as soon as the gardener presses the lever or button after aiming at the 'target'. The devices are especially relevant for older people who care for the garden, who have problems with joints and the frequent folding of the handles of a conventional pruner is problematic for them.
Wolf Garten Li-Ion Power RR 3000
The most powerful and popular among electric pruners is the Wolf Garten Li-Ion Power RR 3000 device with an energy reserve of 800 cuts, that is, for a season or two and even more. The device is capable of working with branches, the diameter of which does not exceed 15 mm. It is lightweight – only 800 grams, fits comfortably in the hand – anatomically shaped handle with anti-slip coating. The structure is moderately protected from water, so work can be carried out even in wet weather.
One moving blade, after triggering, closes to the stationary part, neatly shaping the cut, but this process seems slow to many, but the low speed is due to safety precautions, which is especially important for the elderly. On the other hand, no less time is spent on closing the handles of a mechanical tool.
The battery pack Li-Ion Power Pack 4 with a capacity of 1.1 Ah is charged with a complete power cable, the secateurs are stored in a durable plastic case. You can buy Wolf Garten Li-Ion Power RR 3000 from 6,900 rubles.
- Large battery capacity;
- Comfortable rubber grip;
- Work reserve for 800 cuts;
- Conveniently located trigger.
- High price;
- Can only cut thin branches up to 15 mm.
Another representative of cordless pruning shears in our RYOBI RLP416 rating cuts bush branches and young shoots up to 16 mm in diameter, which is only 1 mm more than the leader. A distinctive feature of a 4 V, 1.5 Ah lithium-ion battery is the absence of self-discharge, that is, energy is saved even when the tool is not in use, there is enough capacity for a season of active use, but no more than 500 cuts.
The device weighs 700 g, the rubberized GripZone handle is comfortable to hold in hand, cutting branches and shoots with a single-sided knife, the device is especially useful when eliminating overgrowth in the root zone. The device can be stored suspended on a hook, for this there is a special hole at the end. Unfortunately, a storage and transport case is not included.
The average price of RYOBI RLP416 is 5,200 rubles.
- Lack of self-discharge of the battery;
- Stock of slices for 500 cycles;
- Light weight 700 gr.;
- Protection against accidental activation by a blocker;
- Relatively affordable price.
- Slow convergence of the blades;
- Small permissible diameter of the branch cut.
Best hand grafting secateurs
A specialized tool for breeders, the grafting pruner makes a neat cut of the scion cuttings and a cut on the rootstock, which perfectly match in shape and size. Thus, it is possible to achieve a perfect pairing of two living parts and their quick splicing. There is a low rate of vaccine rejection. Another name for this pruner is the grafting knife.
The leader in the rating WIPRO 07-001 plant grafting shears. It is equipped with the most convenient pear-shaped blade, due to which a groove-tenon strong connection is formed on the handle and rootstock, it does not need reinforcement, only bandaging until complete fusion.
The tool can work with branches up to 12 mm in diameter, and for each shoot the bite width is adjusted by a gear on the anvil in the lower part of the retainer. The pruning shears have a conventional lever-type drive, so the pressure is enhanced by the mechanism and there are no problems with cutting branches. The blades are made of durable carbon steel with a high degree of sharpening, because precision is important in the grafting business. In addition to decorating the rootstock and scion, the tool can be used to remove shoots and branches, using it as a universal device. Fiberglass handles, extra strong and comfortable to grip.
The price of WIPRO 07-001 is quite affordable – about 900 rubles.
- Suitable for both conventional undercuts and for grafting cuttings;
- Sharp, sharpened carbon steel blade;
- Anvil for easy cutting of the cutting;
- Does not require strong pressure – the lever system works;
- Makes a perfect connection between rootstock and scion;
- There is a blade lock.
- The return spring is wire.
FINLAND 1455 center tool
The grafting pruner from the company Tsentroinstrument closes the rating, the universal model FINLAND 1455. It is suitable for pruning branches with a diameter of up to 19 mm and grafting with a Teflon-coated carbon steel blade of a simple rounded shape, but not as reliable as the leader's 'pear', so it only takes second place. The slightly curved handles fit comfortably in the hand and are made of durable fiber-polymer nylon and fiberglass.
In order for the scion to be cut correctly and accurately, it is placed on an anvil with a movable regulator that will securely fix the branch under the blade.
You can buy a FINLAND 1455 grafting secateurs from Tsentroinstrument from 1,300 rubles.
- Pruner for decorating scion, rootstock and cutting branches;
- Easy-to-grip handles made of high-tech fiberglass;
- Sharp Teflon coated blades;
- Capture branches up to 19 mm;
- Anvil, adjustable in height.
- A wire spring that weakens after several seasons.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.