Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
In autonomous heating systems, water circulates through pipes, which transfers heat from the boiler to the radiators. It is cheap and effective, but requires regular supervision. If the house is visited periodically in the winter or there are long vacation trips, then the system may become unfrozen. In the case of boilers requiring electrical connection, long power outages can provoke freezing of pipes and rupture of batteries. To prevent this, they use coolants with alcohol or oil, developed for heating systems in private houses and industrial facilities. They work in the same way as antifreeze in cars and do not freeze at subzero temperatures. From the rating and reviews below you will find out the best products in this category, which will help you make the right choice.
- How to choose a coolant
- Rating of the best heat carriers for heating systems
- Rating of the best heat carriers
- Warm Eco House
- Hot Stream
- WARME BASIC-65
- Thermagent Eco 30
- PRIMOCLIMA ANTIFROST
How to choose a coolant
The rating of heat carriers for open and closed heating systems contains products that prevent pipes from freezing, as well as prevent scale formation, bacterial growth and corrosion of metal joints. But when choosing antifreeze for the boiler and radiators, it is important to pay attention to some parameters of the substance:
- The basis. The packaging always indicates which product is the main one in the composition. The most antifreeze is ethylene glycol. It has an increased fluidity, therefore, the sealing of the joints must be especially careful. But with it there are never any problems in terms of circulation. But this coolant is also the most toxic. Medium in price and relatively new type – glycerin, more gentle and harmless, but requiring replacement of conventional gaskets with Teflon ones. The most expensive is propylene glycol, which is chemically neutral and resistant to overheating. A separate substance is oil, which has low anti-freezing performance, but allows it to be heated to higher temperatures.
- Crystallization point. This is the number of degrees below zero, after which the fluidity of the product is lost. The indicator varies from -15 to -65 degrees, which is important to consider when choosing a coolant for operation in heating systems in various regions with cold and temperate climates.
- Boiling point. Indicates when the antifreeze starts to foam. For some, this occurs after 70 degrees. The maximum indicator is 115 ° C. The later the liquid boils during overheating, the longer it will retain its fluidity, the effectiveness of additives and continue to perform its main functions – to transfer heat.
- Can be diluted with water. Some substances for heating systems can only be used in pure form, while others are allowed to be diluted with ordinary water according to the table of the proportion of parts, depending on the winter temperature in the region. The second option is more profitable economically, since it allows you to fill the volume of the system with a smaller amount of antifreeze, and add the rest free of charge with water.
- Life time. Each coolant is indicated with a safe service life guaranteed by the manufacturer. During this period, the product will gently act on seals and metal, and will also meet the specified crystallization and boiling characteristics. Some liquids last 4-5 years, others up to 10, which affects the cost of heating maintenance.
Rating of the best heat carriers for heating systems
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||rating|
|Rating of the best heat carriers||1||DIXIS-65||4.9|
|2||Warm Eco House||4.8|
|9||Thermagent Eco 30||4.5|
Rating of the best heat carriers
Having seen the key parameters for choosing a product, we will move on to the heat carrier rating based on the characteristics and user reviews. This will help you to find out in advance the pros and cons of antifreeze for heating in the house, in the country or at the enterprise, and choose the best one for specific operating conditions.
A universal tool for working with gas and electric boilers of any type of installation. It transfers heat optimally at ambient temperatures from -65 to + 95 ° C. Suitable for heating with pipes made of cast iron, copper, aluminum, brass. Does not spoil the solder spots, does not harm plastic pipes and containers. Together with the product, a sticker on the boiler is provided, in which there are fields for recording the date of refueling, volume and other important details, which will be very useful after years when servicing the heating.
Our experts assigned this coolant the first place in the rating due to its high crystallization temperature of -66 degrees. It is the best solution for heating systems in the Far North and other cold regions, which will withstand severe frosts and keep pipes and radiators intact. If used in an area where the temperature does not drop below -20 ° C in winter, it is allowed to dilute antifreeze with water in a 1: 1 ratio, which will significantly save money.
- the highest anti-freeze rate;
- guaranteed service life of 5 years;
- protection of the container from unauthorized opening.
- heat capacity is 10% less than that of water;
- strong viscosity;
- not suitable for galvanized pipes;
- cannot be poured into boilers with an electrode principle of operation.
Warm Eco House
It is a domestic propylene glycol-based heat transfer fluid that is supplemented with a pigment additive to give it a green color to make leak detection easier. Available in containers of 10 and 20 kg with convenient handles for transportation. The product is fireproof and has passed the examination, therefore it is accompanied by a certificate and is designed for widespread use in heating and air conditioning systems. The service life of the substance is 5 years, after which it retains all its anti-freezing properties, but loses the package of anti-corrosion additives. Users in the reviews share that if the heat exchanger in the boiler is copper and the pipes are plastic, then it can be used further up to 10 years.
In our opinion, the coolant should be in the rating due to the increased boiling point of 106 ° C, which is 11 degrees higher than that of most products. This will come in handy if the system is overheating frequently, especially if it is rarely looked after. The point of thermal destruction of the agent is 170 ° C, therefore nothing threatens antifreeze.
- does not destroy linseed tow;
- can be used with sealants;
- does not expand when frozen, but turns into jelly;
- vapors are harmless to humans.
- when used with galvanized communications, it precipitates;
- not for electrolysis boilers;
- high fluidity in a heated form requires careful sealing and preliminary pressure testing;
- a powerful circulation pump is needed.
The product is made in Russia, but from raw materials imported from Germany. The production uses a special technology Organic Acid Technology. But organic additives do not contain amines and other harmful substances. The heating medium is compatible with boilers operating on liquid fuel, gas and electricity. Judging by the reviews, the liquid does not harm rubber gaskets, sealants and paranitis. The manufacturer has added antifoam and antibacterial additives to the composition, so the system will remain clean and with high traffic.
Our experts add the coolant to the rating, because in addition to a very low freezing point of -65 ° C, it has a long service life. The liquid retains its anticorrosive properties for up to 10 years, and can be operated for up to 20 seasons continuously, without losing its freezing resistance characteristics. This is beneficial in terms of system maintenance costs and does not require frequent intervention.
- made from German raw materials;
- low crystallization temperature;
- allowed to be diluted with water;
- not in the composition of nitrites, phosphates and silicates.
- among the components is the more toxic ethylene glycol;
- not compatible with boilers like 'Galan';
- when mixed with water, anti-corrosion properties are initially reduced;
- does not work well with solid fuel boilers, due to frequent overheating.
This is antifreeze from a well-known manufacturer of boilers from neighboring countries, which also took care of the careful handling of the entire heating system. Among his products, a coolant with a base of glycerin is very popular and has many reviews. The product is equipped with antifoam additives and does not freeze even at -30 degrees. Boiling occurs after 105 ° C, so the liquid is suitable for most heating systems. Contains fluorescent paint for fast leak detection. The coolant is produced in cans of 10 and 20 kg, and is poured into the system at the rate of 113 kg for a volume of 100 liters.
Experts recommend this rated product for open heating circuits where the expansion tank does not have a sealed cap. The harmless composition does not pose any danger from evaporation and can be used even in the food industry. Another plus is the permitted use in zinc-coated pipes.
- service life 8-10 years;
- complete explosion and fire safety;
- does not harm circulation pumps;
- when switching to this type, you do not need to flush the system.
- high cost for 10 kg;
- do not overheat;
- incompatible with non-polar plastics.
Product from a Russian manufacturer, produced in barrels of 20, 30 or 180 kg, which allows you to immediately purchase the required volume for the heating system at a bargain price. The heat carrier is based on oil, accompanied by aromatized additives. The raw material is pre-catalyzed and adsorbed for enhanced purification. The product is suitable only for closed communications to prevent splashing or evaporation. The density of the oil is 940 kg / m3, so it is suitable for rather warm regions. According to reviews, it is used more in the south of Russia, where the temperature rarely drops below -15 degrees.
We have put the coolant in the rating due to its high thermal stability during heating and the absence of a tendency to self-ignition. The boiling point of the oil is almost 300 degrees, so it can be used even in solid fuel boilers, but only with strong pumps for accelerated circulation so that the substance does not overheat in the heat exchanger.
- almost zero acidity is gentle on fittings and gaskets;
- good fluidity when heated;
- 100% corrosion protection regardless of the service life;
- does not accumulate moisture and leaves no residue.
- only for closed heating systems;
- freezes at -15 degrees;
- a powerful pump is required for circulation.
Heat carrier of domestic production, but with the addition of additives from Belgium. It is based on ethylene glycol, the effect of which is softened by the addition of carboxylic acids up to 4% against corrosion and foaming. It turns into jelly only after the ambient temperature drops below -30 degrees and contains zero expansion coefficient. It is produced in economical packages of 10 kg, and larger ones of 20 and 30 kg. Provides an even distribution of heat throughout the heating circuit.
We have highlighted this coolant in the rating as the most demanded. According to the reviews, it can be seen that it is used in private houses from the Moscow region to Khabarovsk, as well as in large industrial facilities and shopping centers. The heat exchanger is distinguished by efficient operation and affordability. In fact, this is a domestic product of European quality that can last up to 10 years.
- for regions with high temperature amplitude;
- is actively used in enterprises;
- high quality control at the factory;
- efficiently runs along the heating circuit when heated to 106 ° C.
- not in every city you can buy;
- the composition already contains demineralized water in an amount of 50%, therefore it will not be possible to dilute it even more.
One of the recent developments of a domestic company. The basis of the coolant is food glycerin, which does not pose a threat to humans and animals even when completely poured onto the floor from the heating system. The substance fully complies with GOST 6824-96 and is suitable for pipes with open and closed expansion tanks, as well as with and without a circulation pump. If necessary, the agent may be diluted with water if the area is not severely frosty in winter. When freezing, the mass thickens without expansion, and you can disassemble the pipe for repair without draining the liquid, which is very convenient and profitable.
Experts have included the coolant in the rating as optimal in terms of price and quality ratio. Antifreeze costs, like other heating fluids, but unlike most, it has a crystallization point of -50 ° C, which exceeds the performance of similar products. Another difference of the coolant is the possibility of using it in pipes with a galvanized coating, which does not collapse from contact and does not form a thick sediment.
- guaranteed service life of 5 years;
- absolutely safe (food glycerin and food colors);
- suitable for steel and aluminum radiators;
- refueling in refrigeration units is permissible.
- high viscosity, so the circulation in the heating system is slower;
- a lot of reviews about the delay in sending the goods when ordering from the official website.
A relatively new drug for hot heating systems from a Russian manufacturer. It is produced on the basis of the highest quality ethylene glycol and a phosphor dye, which is visible only with special illumination. Supplemented with a full range of additives that gently affect rubber seals. The temperature range of use is -65 … + 110 ° C. It does not foam even with strongly accelerated circulation. Available in convenient packages of 1, 10, 20 and 48 liters.
Our experts have added the coolant to the rating due to its availability. While the product is relatively young (it appeared in 2017) and has few positive reviews, so buyers have little confidence in it, which prompts sellers to often make discounts on it in online stores. According to its characteristics, it completely coincides with the famous brands. Users have even done experiments on diluting and freezing the product in the freezer, where the transition threshold in jelly differs from the declared indicator by only 2 ° C.
- there is a breeding table in the instructions;
- prevents the formation of scale;
- you can save a lot by adding water;
- suitable for harsh climates.
- the warranty period for the preservation of properties is only 2 years;
- to detect leaks, you need an IR illumination;
- only for closed heating circuits.
Thermagent Eco 30
Antifreeze for heating of any type, with propylene glycol and anti-corrosion additives. Has a greenish color to control leaks, but is completely harmless when inhaled. Suitable for houses and apartments where there are many children and animals. The coolant is designed for a temperature of -30 ° C, but in the reviews, users share that it remains fluid even at -32 degrees. Especially the owners praise its work in the liquid-type floor heating system.
We recommend that you pay attention to this coolant from the rating for those who are especially sensitive to health. The Eco series is specially made of highly purified propylene glycol and is completely safe for use even in open heating circuits. The substance is odorless and effectively transfers heat, and you will have to think about replacing it already in 10 years.
- extra pure Eco series;
- there is no specific smell;
- fast heat transfer through the pipes – the radiator will heat up approximately 7 minutes after the boiler starts up;
- savings due to a service life of 10 years.
- can not be diluted with water;
- the cost is more expensive than analogues;
- not for galvanized pipes.
A product from Fortela with production facilities in Nizhnevartovsk. Produces a heat exchange agent with ethylene glycol and an anti-foaming additive. The fluids are stable in operation and have a guaranteed service life of 5 years. The crystallization point is not higher than -30 degrees. The composition is supplemented with a blue or orange pigment, which makes it easier to check the system for leaks.
Experts recommend looking at antifreeze as the best in the rating for use in large heating systems, possibly for large enterprises and structures. The manufacturer sells the coolant of this brand at 66 rubles per 1 liter, and if the buyer provides his container, then an additional 8% discount is promised on the official website. Therefore, for large volumes this is the best option for the price.
- harmless for sealant and linen winding;
- does not spoil rubber gaskets;
- does not boil at 105 degrees;
- has an EAC certificate.
- it is allowed to fill only in closed heating circuits;
- it is impossible for an electric current to pass through the coolant;
- corrodes galvanized coating;
- flush the system before use.
The manufacturer positions it as an elite antifreeze, which is confirmed not only by the price, but by reviews, as well as by a good package of anti-corrosion additives, a gentle effect on the rubber seal and complete safety for others. The composition includes premium glycerin, which will not cause harm even if it spills onto the floor next to the children's bed. The product has a gentle effect on circulation pumps and is operated at -30 … + 105 ° C.
In the opinion of our experts, this product should have been included in the rating due to its unpretentiousness in the addition of other coolants on the same basis. If after a couple of years the substance evaporates a little from the heating system, then it is not necessary to look for this particular brand for refilling. This is worth paying attention to residents of villages and remote villages where the range of such goods is limited.
- convenient containers of 10, 20, 50 and 200 liters;
- can be mixed with other similar heat transfer fluids;
- the product is ready for use;
- absolutely does not increase in volume when frozen.
- service life 4 years, after which corrosion protection deteriorates;
- a diagonal connection of radiators is required, otherwise only one part will heat up due to its strong viscosity.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.