Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
The German company STIHL is one of the largest manufacturers of motorized construction equipment and tools. Its products are of the highest quality due to assembly in European countries. In addition, the technology from this company is innovative, practical and based on unique technologies.
To help navigate the company's huge range, we have compiled a list of the top 10 Stihl chain saws that are suitable for DIYers as well as professionals in the carpentry and logging industries.
- Stihl best saws rating
- Best Stihl Electric Saws
- Stihl MSE 250 C-Q-16
- Stihl MSE 170 C-Q
- Stihl MSE 141 C-Q-14
- Best Stihl gasoline saws
- Stihl MS 880-36
- Stihl MS 661-28
- Stihl MS 361-18
- Stihl MS 260
- Stihl MS 211
- Stihl MS 180-14
- Best Stihl cordless saws
- Stihl MSA 140 C – BQ – AK30-AL101
Stihl best saws rating
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best Stihl Electric Saws||1||Stihl MSE 250 C-Q-16||RUB 29,990|
|2||Stihl MSE 170 C-Q||RUB 14,990|
|3||Stihl MSE 141 C-Q-14||RUB 8,990|
|Best Stihl gasoline saws||1||Stihl MS 880-36||RUB 96,990|
|2||Stihl MS 661-28||RUB 66 490|
|3||Stihl MS 361-18||RUB 36,890|
|4||Stihl MS 260||RUB 26,150|
|5||Stihl MS 211||17 390 rub.|
|6||Stihl MS 180-14||RUB 11 490|
|Best Stihl cordless saws||1||Stihl MSA 140 C – BQ – AK30-AL101||RUB 30 490|
Best Stihl Electric Saws
Stihl MSE 250 C-Q-16
Why her: One of the most powerful electric chainsaws in the world.
The main advantage of this saw is the highest power. It is 2.5 kilowatts, which is practically a record figure. The saw easily handles all types of wood, including hard ones (oak, beech, birch, larch and many others). This makes it suitable for most carpentry and forestry work.
The chain saw is equipped with a proprietary soft-start drive. This reduces the stress on the hands during work and increases the safety of use. Also, a smooth start of the engine increases its operational period, reducing the wear of the functional elements of the device.
Another signature feature is the chain brake. It is reliable and stops rotation almost instantly.
The saw is equipped with a 40 cm bar (however, a 45 cm configuration is also available). The chain pitch is 3/8 ''.
- High power – 2500 W, the leader in the electric chain saw segment;
- Low weight – 5.8 kg with installed bar and chain;
- Signature chain brake that stops it instantly.
- High noise level is 105 dB. It is recommended to wear protective headphones.
Stihl MSE 170 C-Q
Why it is: Lightweight electric chain saw with optimal power for most tasks.
This model from Stihl combines optimum power and high ergonomics. It is equipped with a proprietary soft-start drive. And its power is 1.7 kW, which is enough for fast and accurate processing of wood of soft, semi-hard and some hard species.
The drive is controlled by an electronic control system. It not only signals overloads, but also increases the level of safety during use. The proprietary QuickStop Super chain brake system (indicated in the model marking as C-Q) stops rotation instantly, protecting against injury or damage to the device itself.
With optimum power, the saw also features an ergonomic design that reduces user fatigue, even after extended use. The device weighs only 4.2 kg with a 30 cm bar and chain installed.
- Sophisticated lubrication system (the tank opens without tools, transparent tank, optimal material consumption);
- Ergonomic design and light weight;
- Momentary chain stop when rear handle is released.
- Relatively small tire, 30 centimeters long;
- A short stock power cable (50 centimeters, suitable for use only with an extension cord, including branded ones).
Stihl MSE 141 C-Q-14
Why it is: Low price, optimal power / cost ratio.
Stihl MSE 141 C-Q-14 is the cheapest electric saw of the company in the ranking. But despite the low cost, it offers very good performance. In addition to the proprietary ergonomic design that reduces the load on the hands, the device has an optimal power for most household and construction work, which is 1.4 kW. This is enough for fast processing of soft and semi-hard wood species. However, the saw will also cope with hard saws, except that it will take a little more time to cut them.
The proprietary quick brake system stops the chain instantly, immediately after releasing the rear handle. This significantly improves operational safety. The saw also features a convenient lubrication system, a 35 cm blade and a 3/8 inch chain. The device weighs only 3.6 kg without the installed tire.
- Electronic motor protection system with LED overload alarm;
- Sophisticated chain lubrication system, oil tank lasts for 40-50 minutes of continuous operation;
- Consistent power regardless of workpiece thickness and type of wood.
- Short power cable (length 50 centimeters, requires an extension cord);
- Inertial moment, there is no motor soft start system to get rid of it.
Best Stihl gasoline saws
Stihl MS 880-36
Why it is: Very high power, long tire.
This chainsaw is focused primarily on forestry operations. This also explains its power – the highest in the rating, is 6.4 kilowatts (equivalent to 8.7 horsepower); and the maximum length of a complete tire equal to 91 centimeters. This makes the gasoline saw easy to tackle even thick hardwood trunks.
Moreover, the device is very ergonomic. With an empty gas tank, but with the bar and chain installed, the saw weighs only 9.9 kg. The body is very well balanced, there is no overweight, there is no need to hold the instrument separately. The vibration damping system also enhances ergonomics, which also reduces stress on the hands.
The saw is also equipped with a decompression valve which ensures easy starting even in freezing temperatures. And the engine cooling system reduces stress on the engine, extending non-stop operation even in hot weather.
- One of the most powerful petrol chainsaws in the world (6.4 kW);
- Perfect balance, no overweight;
- Easy start in cold weather, long-term work in hot weather.
- High cost. But it is worth considering that this is a professional-class instrument, the price for it in any case will be high;
- High noise level (up to 115 dB) due to the powerful motor.
Stihl MS 661-28
Why her: A forestry petrol chain saw with the right price / performance ratio.
The professional Stihl forestry chain saw that stands out for its optimal combination of price and performance. The built-in motor delivers 5.8 kW (equivalent to 7.2 horsepower), which is enough for felling hardwood. The bar is 71 centimeters long and uses a 3/8-inch chain to ensure a smooth, straight cut whatever the cutting conditions.
Like other professional Stihl chainsaws, this model features excellent balance without overloading any part of the body. Therefore, when using the device, hands get less tired. In addition, the anti-vibration system increases ergonomics, which reduces the load on the hands.
An important advantage of the device is a branded chain brake. When the rear handle is released, rotation stops almost immediately, the inertial motion lasts for a few seconds.
- The system for starting the engine in the cold and protecting it from overheating in the heat;
- High power of 5.8 kW;
- High ergonomics, thanks to which fatigue during prolonged use is almost invisible.
- Relatively high noise level (up to 110 dB) due to the powerful built-in motor;
- The 'instant' chain brake lasts a few seconds.
Stihl MS 361-18
Why it is: A semi-professional saw suitable for most construction and carpentry jobs.
Top model focused on semi-professional use. It can be used on the construction site, in carpentry or joinery. For forestry work a little less suitable – not because of the power, but because of the relatively short tire. Its length is 45 centimeters, as a result of which there is a limitation on the diameter of the trunk – thick trees with its help will be simply inconvenient.
The saw power is also optimal for semi-professional use and is 3.4 kW (equivalent to 4.6 horsepower). At the same time, the device weighs relatively little – 5.6 kilograms without the installed chain and tire, and thanks to the careful balance it does not lead to fatigue, even with prolonged use.
Ergonomics is also enhanced by the anti-vibration system, and thanks to the brand's chain brake when the handle is released, the device is also safe.
- Stable power regardless of the type of wood (it is preserved on thick logs of such varieties as, for example, birch);
- Reliability, durability, trouble-free start and use in any conditions;
- Effective vibration damping system.
- The high cost of repair (leveled by rare service and availability of spare parts);
- The complexity of self-repair.
Stihl MS 260
Why it is: Easy to use, clean cut, suitable for felling small trees.
A virtually universal gasoline chain saw that has one of the best price-performance ratios in its segment. With a 2.4 kW (3.2 horsepower equivalent) motor, it handles pretty much all types of wood, including some hard woods, and the 0.325-inch chain used provides a clean and smooth cut. This saw is also suitable for finishing workpieces.
The length of the tire supplied with the instrument is 40 centimeters. But, if necessary, you can independently replace it with a 50 cm one. The power and speed of wood processing will be preserved, making the saw suitable for forestry work.
Like other models of the company, the device is distinguished by increased ergonomics without overweight and vibration suppression system to reduce stress on the hands. There is also a branded chain brake.
- Long period of uptime with correct operation and regular maintenance;
- Comfortable noise level;
- Easy start in all weather conditions.
- Poor design of the air filter leading to clogging. Requires regular cleaning;
- Vibration damping system on rubber shock absorbers, a soft start is required so as not to damage them.
Stihl MS 211
Why it is: A budget saw with winter adaptation and high ergonomics.
One of the cheapest chainsaws in the ranking, adapted for use in winter conditions. A special carburetor preheating system makes it easy to start the device even in severe frosts. But in the summer, it can be turned off to reduce the thermal load on the components and extend the operating period. Switching between winter and summer operating modes requires one movement.
At the same time, the chainsaw is powerful enough for most construction and carpentry work – it is equipped with a 1.7 kilowatt engine (equivalent to 2.2 horsepower). The engine is complemented by a bypass system that increases efficiency and reduces fuel consumption. The bar is 40 centimeters long with a 3/8 inch chain pitch.
Like other high-end Stihl saws, this model is equipped with a vibration damping system with rubber shock-absorbing pads and a branded chain brake that stops rotation in seconds.
- Quick start system, even hand-started, carburetor preheating;
- High-quality vibration damping system, the saw is stationary and does not 'hit' in the hands;
- Very light – weighs only 4.3 kilograms without bar and chain.
- Plastic case, but shock resistant;
- Small volume of the gas tank (0.28 liters);
- Relatively high fuel consumption.
Stihl MS 180-14
Why it is: Low price and low weight.
One of the cheapest gasoline chain saws – both in the ranking and in the Stihl product line. But its low price is primarily due to the reduced power drive. The rest of the functional units and elements are of the same quality as in more expensive (top-end) models.
In particular, this lightweight, compact and balanced chainsaw is equipped with a 1.5 kW motor (equivalent to 2 horsepower). This is enough for most construction and carpentry work, as well as cutting down trees and shrubs on a personal plot. The chainsaw is equipped with a 35 cm bar and 3/8 inch chain for a smooth, smooth cut.
Also, the saw is equipped with a proprietary chain brake system, which stops rotation in a few seconds – immediately after releasing the rear handle.
- Low weight of only 3.9 kg without bar and chain;
- Low fuel consumption thanks to the updated engine;
- Power is maintained at any load.
- Vibration damping system with rubber pads;
- No primer;
- Rapid clogging of the air filter due to poor disposition.
Best Stihl cordless saws
Stihl MSA 140 C – BQ – AK30-AL101
Why it is: High performance, agility.
Despite the fact that the power of this saw varies due to battery power and is not specified by the developer, the performance of the device remains at a high level. The tool is suitable not only for pruning shrubs or trees, but also for full-fledged construction and carpentry work, including with semi-hard wood species.
The main advantage of the saw is maneuverability, which is achieved through the use of a 30-cm special-shaped tire with a narrowing at the end. At the same time, the device is also highly autonomous. One charge of the supplied battery lasts about 45 minutes of operation.
The saw is light. Weighs only 2.5 kilograms with the bar and chain installed, but without the battery – it adds another 1 kilogram of mass. Like previous models, the device is equipped with an emergency chain brake system – it stops instantly, immediately after releasing the handle.
- Lightweight, compact, maneuverable;
- Long battery life (about 45 minutes), fast battery charging;
- Works very quietly.
- Unstable power;
- Unlike previous models in the ranking, it is suitable only for small housework and simple carpentry operations.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.