Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Athletes are people who are constantly exposed to increased physical and psychological stress. Because of this, they have a higher need for vitamins and minerals, because vitamins are substances that regulate all biochemical reactions of the body.
- Why do athletes need special vitamins
- Rating of the best vitamins for athletes
- The best vitamins for male athletes
- Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men
- VP Laboratory Ultra Men’s Sport
- ALLMAX Nutrition, Premium Vitaform, Performance MultiVitamin
- Universal Nutrition Animal Pak
- The best vitamins for women athletes
- NutraBio Labs, Women's MultiSport Formula
- EVLution Nutrition, Women's Multivitamin
- Optimum Nutrition, Opti-Women
- The best vitamins for athletes children
- Multi-tabs Junior
- Compliance asset
- Alphabet effect
Why do athletes need special vitamins
Athletes are people who demand a lot from their bodies. But this, in turn, requires special care. An active lifestyle increases the consumption of not only energy, but also vital substances. With physical exertion, the need for vitamins more than doubles. With their deficiency in athletes, the maximum performance, oxygen consumption, endurance, physical strength decrease by 7-12%, the level of lactic acid in the blood rises.
The reasons for the increased consumption of vitamins and microelements during sports:
- Insufficient intake of necessary substances from food. This is especially true for those sports in which the 'competitive form' is achieved, among other things, by 'drying' – long-term dietary restrictions.
- Accelerated metabolism. Any reactions that provide energy metabolism require the participation of vitamins. With an increased load, the consumption of vitamins of group B increases. To deliver a sufficient amount of oxygen to the body, iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid are needed, which provide adequate hematopoiesis.
- Oxidative stress. Energy production processes are catabolic processes, that is, reactions that break down more complex substances into simpler ones. This produces the so-called free radicals – reactive oxygen species that damage cell membranes. This is a normal state of the body and the defense mechanisms against it are worked out. But for adequate work of the antioxidant system vitamins and minerals are needed: C, E, beta-carotene, copper, zinc, selenium, manganese.
- Loss of vitamins and minerals with sweat. Not only sodium and chlorine are excreted through the skin, but also magnesium, calcium, potassium, vitamin B, iron, zinc, copper.
The composition of vitamin complexes for athletes usually includes not only vitamins, in fact. but also minerals and other substances that affect the functioning of the body.
For performance and energy, they usually add:
- Vitamins of group B. They are involved in all metabolic processes of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, including the processes that result in energy production. They regulate the functioning of the nervous system – it should be remembered here that in the conditions that athletes know as overtraining, not only muscle fatigue is to blame, but also an overload of the central nervous system.
- L – carnitine. Strictly speaking, this substance cannot be called either a vitamin or a vitamin-like substance, since it is synthesized in the body. But it is included in the best vitamins for athletes, since levocarnitine transports fatty acids to the mitochondria – the 'energy stations' of the cell, and is involved in the regulation of energy metabolism. Some experiments show that it improves physical performance, endurance and delay the onset of fatigue.
- Magnesium. Participates in the process of muscle contraction, transmission of nerve impulses.
To improve recovery:
- Potassium. Like magnesium, it is responsible for the transmission of neuromuscular impulses. But in addition, it regulates the accumulation of glycogen – 'animal starch' in the form of which glucose stores are created in muscles and liver.
- Calcium. It is common knowledge that muscle work helps to strengthen bones – which is why women of mature age are recommended strength exercises to prevent osteoporosis. But in order for calcium to accumulate in the bones, it must be supplied in sufficient quantities with food. This element is especially important for those who do not consume dairy products due to intolerance or for dietary reasons.
- Vitamin D. Its most famous action is the regulation of calcium metabolism in the body. In addition, it affects the activity of skeletal muscles, increases their strength and power, and improves muscle growth during the recovery period. According to studies, up to 90% of athletes have a reduced content of vitamin D metabolites in blood plasma, which indicates its deficiency.
Improving the body's resistance. Here, the well-known antioxidants play the first role: vitamins C and E, selenium, beta-carotene, bioflavonoids. They protect the body from oxidative stress caused by increased physical activity, improve oxygen status, and support the normal function of the immune system.
Rating of the best vitamins for athletes
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best vitamins for male athletes||1||Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men||RUB 1,080|
|2||VP Laboratory Ultra Men’s Sport||RUB 1,880|
|3||ALLMAX Nutrition, Premium Vitaform, Performance MultiVitamin||RUB 1,550|
|4||Universal Nutrition Animal Pak||2 380 rub.|
|The best vitamins for women athletes||1||NutraBio Labs, Women's MultiSport Formula||1 600 rub.|
|2||EVLution Nutrition, Women's Multivitamin||2 185 RUB|
|3||Optimum Nutrition, Opti-Women||1 240 rub.|
|The best vitamins for athletes children||1||Multi-tabs Junior||224 r|
|2||Compliance asset||265 RUB|
|3||Alphabet effect||295 RUB|
The best vitamins for male athletes
Usually vitamin complexes for men are aimed at improving physical performance, strength endurance and muscle growth. In addition, substances that improve men's health are often added to them.
Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men
In addition to the vitamins and minerals themselves, it contains a complex of amino acids (including valine, leucine, isoleucine, known as BCAAs and can act as additional sources of energy). The plant complexes included in the composition are aimed at providing the body with natural antioxidants-bioflavonoids and maintaining the health of the male reproductive system: extracts of dwarf palm and pumpkin seeds act in this direction. ginseng and ginkgo biloba. Antioxidants have also been added: in addition to vitamins C and E, it contains alpha lipoic acid, lutein, choline, cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin.
the content of vitamins is quite high, but considering that athletes need at least 2 times higher for them, the dosages chosen by the manufacturer do not seem excessive.
Available in packs of 90, 150 and 240 tablets.
- high content of vitamins,
- added herbal extracts to support prostate health and sexual function,
- contains antioxidants, including those of natural origin.
- you need to take 3 tablets a day,
- large tablets are inconvenient to swallow,
- high price.
VP Laboratory Ultra Men’s Sport
Contains a complex of vitamins and minerals such as zinc, selenium, copper, chromium. L-Taurine, L-Methionine, L-Glutamine and L-Carnitine help provide the body with energy and improve recovery. Three complexes of plant extracts that make up these vitamins for athletes are aimed at improving memory, prostate health, and supplying the body with natural antioxidants, bioflavonoids.
It is recommended to take 2 tablets daily.
- complex vitamin composition,
- contains natural antioxidants,
- contains a herbal complex to improve memory,
- supports male reproductive health.
- peculiar smell,
- you need to take 2 tablets per day.
ALLMAX Nutrition, Premium Vitaform, Performance MultiVitamin
These vitamins are suitable for those athletes who prefer to get everything they need from food, using vitamin and mineral complexes only as support, but not as the main source of vital substances. the content of vitamins in it is low in comparison with previous preparations from this section of the rating of the best remedies, but it contains 3 types of herbal complexes: antioxidant, to maintain men's health, to maintain cognitive functions (attention and memory), for joint health (glucosamine, chondroitin , methylsulfomethane).
- the content of vitamins meets the standard medical standards, without exceeding them,
- antioxidant complex,
- complex for improving attention and memory,
- complex for men's health,
- relatively affordable price.
- 2 tablets per day,
- vitamin content may be insufficient during extreme physical exertion.
Universal Nutrition Animal Pak
Strictly speaking, the manufacturer of these vitamins for athletes did not indicate the gender of the potential buyer. But, given that the complex does not contain iron, it is recommended, first of all, for men: due to the peculiarities of physiology, this element is vital for women.
In addition to vitamins and microelements, the composition includes a complex of amino acids that replenish 5 g of pure protein in a daily portion. It also contains enzymes that facilitate digestion, a complex of plant antioxidants and a complex aimed at supporting liver function, which includes milk thistle, choline, inositol, para-aminobenzoic acid. To increase physical endurance, the complex contains L-carnitine and Eleutherococcus extract.
The release form of the drug differs from other vitamins for athletes from this section of the ranking of the best. Instead of tablets, the manufacturer made a powder that must be dissolved in a large amount of water and taken with food. The daily dose is 1 – 2 sachets, depending on physical activity. It should be noted that the content of vitamins, especially water-soluble ones, in this product is quite high, so it is advisable for amateur athletes to limit themselves to one packet. But even so, it is rather difficult to call these vitamins economical.
- soluble in water, no need to swallow tablets;
- a complex of digestive enzymes,
- complex. conducive to recovery.
- high price.
The best vitamins for women athletes
The main difference between 'female' and 'male' vitamins is the iron content. A man who is not a strict vegan usually does not need to supplement this macronutrient. But the female body loses iron every month, and up to half of all women in Russia have a hidden iron deficiency. 'Hidden' in this context means that there is no anemia yet, but the body's iron stores are depleted.
Women who take hormonal contraceptives for a long time do not need additional iron, since with these drugs, monthly blood loss decreases significantly, and postmenopausal women. 'Male' vitamins can also be used in these categories. For everyone else, it is better to use special tools. Unfortunately, not many vitamins are produced for female athletes.
NutraBio Labs, Women's MultiSport Formula
The peculiarity of this complex is that all minerals are contained in a chelated form – in the form of organic compounds that are better absorbed by the body than inorganic salts. In addition to vitamins and minerals, this complex for athletes includes plant bioflavonoids – antioxidants and alpha-lipoic acid, which has hepatoprotective properties, helps to regulate blood sugar levels, and during physical activity stimulates the use of fats for energy purposes. This property is often interpreted as 'promoting weight loss', which is not entirely true – if you do not monitor your calorie intake, fat stores will be replenished after exercise.
The manufacturer recommends taking four capsules a day, but in this case, the daily intake of vitamins will be very high, so it is better for non-professional athletes to limit themselves to half the recommended dose. In this case, a standard package of 120 capsules will last for 2 months, which will make the cost of the vitamin complex more acceptable.
- contains alpha-lipoic acid, which protects the liver and normalizes carbohydrate metabolism;
- contains plant bioflavonoids,
- all minerals are in the form of organic compounds that are easier to digest.
- it is recommended to take 4 capsules per day;
- very high doses of vitamins if taken as recommended by the manufacturer,
- high price.
EVLution Nutrition, Women's Multivitamin
Another complex, where all minerals are either in the form of chelates, or in the composition of natural compounds (for example, algae extract serves as a source of iodine). In addition, many plant extracts have been added to these vitamins for athletes, acting on various aspects of women's health. For example, angelica Chinese and sacred vitex normalize female hormonal balance. Bearberry, Butcherberry and Horse Chestnut extracts strengthen the venous wall, preventing varicose veins, which, as you know, women are more susceptible to than men. Garcinia cambogia promotes weight loss. The complex also contains alpha lipoic acid and natural antioxidants.
The manufacturer recommends taking two capsules a day, while the intake of vitamins is quite high in comparison with the usual pharmaceutical complexes, but still lower than that of the previous remedy from this rating of the best vitamins for athletes.
- plant extracts that support women's health,
- all minerals are in the form of organic compounds that are easily absorbed,
- relatively affordable price (packaging is enough for 2 months even if you follow the manufacturer's recommendations and do not reduce the dosage).
- strong specific odor,
- large tablets are difficult to swallow.
Optimum Nutrition, Opti-Women
We have already reviewed the vitamins of this manufacturer in the rating section dedicated to complexes for men, now let's talk about how women differ. In addition to a lower dosage of vitamins (the manufacturer recommends taking 3 capsules a day for men, 2 capsules for women), the compositions of herbal supplements also differ. Women's vitamins contain soy isoflavones, known for phytoestrogenic properties. In a similar direction, the extract of the sacred vitex and the Chinese angelica (dong quai) act. There are also extracts that improve venous tone, herbal antioxidants, garcinia cambogia and alpha lipoic acid.
- contains phytoestrogens,
- plant extracts support female hormonal balance,
- promotes weight loss,
- relatively affordable price.
- very high daily intake of vitamins, subject to the manufacturer's recommendations.
The best vitamins for athletes children
The choice of vitamins for children and teenagers involved in sports is much more difficult than for adults: most manufacturers of sports supplements label their products as 18+. Therefore, one has to look for suitable means among the usual pharmaceutical preparations.
Aimed at children from 4 to 11 years old, they are available in the form of chewable tablets, which must be taken once a day. They contain vitamins of group B, D, E and minerals: zinc, iodine, selenium, chromium, copper, iron. They support the formation of the skeleton (vitamin D and calcium), the nervous system (vitamins of group B, folic acid), the cardiovascular system (magnesium), hematopoiesis (iron, zinc, folic acid, vitamin B12). Iodine is necessary for the synthesis of thyroid hormones, chromium for the synthesis of insulin.
- allowed from 4 years old,
- 1 tablet per day,
- contains vitamins and minerals necessary for a growing body.
Aimed at children from 7 to 12 years old, 1 tablet per day. The composition is similar to the composition of the previous vitamin complex for young athletes, but also contains rutin – a natural antioxidant; fluoride and phosphorus, which improve the condition of tooth enamel.
- 1 tablet per day,
- fortified with antioxidants.
- small age range of application.
Approved for use in adolescents over 14 years old. In addition to standard vitamins and minerals, it contains L-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid, antioxidant-rich green tea extract, succinic acid, which improves tissue energy supply.
The complex is divided into 3 groups of tablets – morning, afternoon and evening. The manufacturer justifies this by the fact that in this way incompatible vitamins and trace elements are not taken simultaneously. But we would not consider this an advantage, because all modern vitamins are produced in the form of microgranules, which are released in the gastrointestinal tract at different times, precisely to prevent the mixing of chemically incompatible elements. But getting a teenager to take pills three times a day is not a trivial task.
- contains substances that accelerate recovery after physical exertion,
- improves energy metabolism.
- should be taken three times a day.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.