Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Wood is one of the most common materials that are distinguished by their strength and relative flexibility. Planks and beams are actively used to create load-bearing structures and ceilings, and small pickets and planks are well suited for sewing up walls, boxes and finishing. A tree in a building structure can last up to 30-50 years, subject to quality protection. To do this, use paints specially designed for wood. They prevent swelling or overdrying of the fibers, protect the structure of the wood from fungi and parasites, and also give it an attractive appearance. Our rating of the best paints for wood has collected popular products that have positive customer reviews and good characteristics, which will help you make the right choice.
- How to choose paint for wood surfaces
- Rating of the best paints for wood
- The best wood paint for interior use
- Tikkurila Taika
- Parade Professional E7 Pro Latex7
- Tikkurila Euro Extra-20 base C
- Dulux Ultra Resist for children matte BW
- ID Pur Metal
- Washable paint Tex Universal
- The best wood paint for outdoor use
- Tikkurila Ultra Classic A
- Caparol Amphibolin BAS 1
- Dulux Domus
- Parade Professional F70 Elastic
How to choose paint for wood surfaces
Before reviewing the rating, let us briefly recall the main criteria for choosing a paint for wood, so that the information below is more understandable. So, a decorative coating for wooden surfaces is chosen taking into account the following parameters:
- Paint base. There are acrylic, latex, alkyd, silicone. Affects odor, abrasion resistance, color saturation and durability.
- Drying time. Drying time between layers is from 1 to 24 hours, which directly affects construction and finishing work. The time after which it is allowed to walk on the coating (5-72 hours) affects when it will be possible to start operating the room or use a painted wooden part.
- Gloss level. Wood paint is divided into glossy and matte, as well as subspecies – semi-gloss and semi-gloss, which decorates the interior in its own way.
- Thinner type. Water-borne paints are thinned with water. It is cheaper and does not create unpleasant odors during operation. Other types need to be diluted with a solvent (white spirit, etc.), so the process must be carried out in a well-ventilated area and you will have to spend extra money.
- Application method. Some products from our rating are universal in application (spray gun, sponge, brush, roller), while others can only be applied in a certain way.
- Hiding power. With 1 liter of paint, you can paint over from 4 to 14 m2 of a wooden surface, which affects the consumption and the funds spent.
- Application temperature. To ensure optimal wood penetration and adhesion to the substrate, each product has its own minimum application temperature. It can be from +5 to +10 degrees, which affects the possibility of painting objects in the autumn-winter period in a situation where there is no heating.
- Resistance to mechanical stress. Manufacturers produce wood paints with different abrasion resistance. For floors, railings, stair treads and window sills, high durability is required. Fences, furniture, boxes, pediments can be painted with less resistant compounds.
Wood paints are also subdivided for outdoor and indoor use, so our rating is divided into just such categories.
Rating of the best paints for wood
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price per liter|
|The best wood paint for interior use||1||Tikkurila Taika||RUB 1,419|
|2||Parade Professional E7 Pro Latex7||RUB 400|
|3||Tikkurila Euro Extra-20 base C||RUB 679|
|4||Dulux Ultra Resist for children matte BW||840 RUB|
|5||ID Pur Metal||RUB 2 250|
|6||Washable paint Tex Universal||120 RUB|
|The best wood paint for outdoor use||1||Tikkurila Ultra Classic A||1 200 RUB|
|2||Caparol Amphibolin BAS 1||RUB 790|
|3||Dulux Domus||RUB 600|
|4||Parade Professional F70 Elastic||720 RUB|
The best wood paint for interior use
These paints are available with a variety of bases and are suitable for painting floors, stairs, indoor windows, tables, chairs, walls and other wooden objects. Some types are even designed for high moisture exposure, therefore they are suitable for bathrooms and saunas. But such products are not weatherproof, so it is not recommended to use them outside the house.
The first place in the ranking is a product of a Finnish manufacturer. The substance has an acrylate base and forms a durable top layer on the wood, resistant to cracking or wrinkling. The product is distinguished by a special shine, which increases the brightness of the shade. Users in the reviews like that painted surfaces can be washed with water and they do not wear off for a long time. The manufacturer claims the coating is rated for 5,000 wet brush passes. It is allowed to apply the substance in any way, but in the case of a spray gun, a nozzle of at least 1.8 mm must be used.
This wood paint is rated among the best by our experts for its realistic metal effect. The product is produced in two versions: golden and silver with notes of mother-of-pearl. Both options, after drying, give the wood the appearance of steel, visually increasing the massiveness of the structure. In the case of gold paint, the coating looks richer. We recommend this product for painting frames, hangers and wooden stands.
- suitable for creating an exotic oriental style in a room;
- diluted with plain water;
- suitable for application on old layers of alkyd or catalytic paint;
- resistant to wet cleaning.
- type of packaging – 0.9 or 2.7 liters;
- high price;
- the appearance of the finished coating is strongly influenced by lighting;
- consumption 6-8 m2 per liter.
Parade Professional E7 Pro Latex7
In second place in the ranking is a product based on water and acrylic polymer. You can also dilute the product with water, which makes the preparation process cheaper. After drying it forms a silky matt layer. The paint is available in base A (white) and additional bases for tinting. You can paint a tree at temperatures from +12 to +35 degrees. Users like the reviews that the product does not deteriorate when stored at freezing temperatures and the shelf life is 3 years. You can paint wood and wood-shaving compressed materials. The product is suitable for roll finishing materials.
We added paint to the rating as it only takes 2 hours to dry between coats. Complete drying takes the same amount of time, so painting will not take much time. The coating can dry out even at air humidity up to 80%. Even the masters in the reviews note its economical consumption – from 12 to 14 m2 in one liter.
- suitable for all types of wood and derivatives (chipboard, fiberboard, MDF);
- can be diluted with water up to 10% by weight;
- economical consumption;
- suitable for spray guns and roller painting;
- does not deteriorate when frozen in a jar.
- there is no ready-made color other than white – you need to tint according to the bases (DB, C);
- it is recommended to treat the surface with an acrylic primer before application;
- cannot be used at temperatures below +12 degrees.
Tikkurila Euro Extra-20 base C
The third place in the ranking is again a product from a Finnish company. This time it is a product with a water-dispersed basis, characterized by increased resistance to water and friction. The manufacturer claims that painted wood will retain its attractive appearance for a long time despite intensive cleaning with detergents. This also helps remove cooking stains. The cover is rated for 10,000 brush strokes while cleaning. The substance has a semi-matte sheen. Painting can be done with a roller, spray gun or brush. With an air humidity of 65% between layers, you will have to wait up to 4 hours.
We ranked the paint as it is particularly resistant to wet environments. The manufacturer recommends using it in bathrooms or kitchens for painting wooden walls or ceilings. The substance impregnates the structure of the material well and protects it from mold or swelling. Customers in the reviews like that a regularly boiling kettle or double boiler does not leave yellow marks on it.
- release in containers from 0.9 to 9.0 l;
- neutral smell;
- diluted with water;
- recommended for children's and medical institutions.
- high price;
- only white and colorless – tinting is needed for other tones;
- abrasion resistance is achieved after 4 weeks – before that, wooden surfaces must not be washed.
Dulux Ultra Resist for children matte BW
In fourth place in the ranking is a product from a German company. Water-dispersed paint is excellent for wood due to its deep penetration into the structure and has a high margin of safety compared to other types. The container proudly bears a logo in the form of a green leaf, confirming the ecological purity of the substance. Masters note in the reviews the easy application of a decorative layer that does not leave streaks when properly diluted. The goods are stored for 4 years, so you can prepare for the repair in advance and not worry that the paint will lose its properties.
As the name implies, the main purpose of the paint is for wooden surfaces in children's rooms. For this, the manufacturer added wax to its composition, which makes the outer layer more resistant to dirt and water. It is convenient for cleaning and maintaining an attractive appearance. Silver ions are also added to the product, preventing the growth of bacteria in the children's room, for which the product is listed in the rating of the best.
- environmentally friendly;
- easy to clean and does not attract dirt;
- can be purchased in packages of 2.5 or 5 liters;
- no smell.
- ready-made, only white;
- the wooden surface must be completely cleaned;
- the brush should be with synthetic bristles.
ID Pur Metal
This place in the ranking is occupied by a product of a domestic manufacturer trying to repeat the effect of a metallic sheen, like that of imported counterparts. The company succeeded and the paint on the wood looks like steel with a moderate sheen. The product is suitable for use on wood and the optimum effect is achieved in two coats. On most types of wooden surfaces, it can be sprayed without preliminary preparation, which buyers like in reviews. But in order to achieve the maximum metallic sheen, the manufacturer recommends using a short-nap roller and making criss-cross movements.
We have noted this paint as one of the most original surface finishes in the home. In addition to the metallic effect, it can create a visually velvety structure. To do this, mix the product with Perle de Soie 200 ml, mix and apply with a wide brush. Cross movements are also required here. This is a great way to decorate a wooden wall in a frame house or log building.
- easy application in any way;
- interlayer drying 4 hours;
- to paint with a spray gun, dilution with water up to 500 ml per can is allowed;
- supports the creation of various visual effects.
- very high cost;
- inconvenient rectangular container without a handle;
- tanning wood needs to be treated before application;
- one type of packaging – 2 liters.
Washable paint Tex Universal
In the last place in the rating is paint from a domestic manufacturer, made on a water-dispersed basis. After drying, the substance becomes deep matte and looks great. The company claims that wood painted with this product retains the ability to 'breathe', which is useful for rooms with excessive steam generation. Users in the reviews note the rapid drying of the layer – 1.5 hours, which speeds up the overall application process. The target water resistance level will be reached after 14 days. The product is produced in white, and tinting pastes are sold to create shades.
In our opinion, the product for painting wood should be in the rating due to its affordable price, ten times cheaper than Finnish products. In this case, the coloring composition is allowed to be used in wet rooms and washed with a sponge. The product has the 3rd class of resistance to thorns. The matt finish is resistant to mold and mildew. If the bath or kitchen in the house is finished with wood, then this is the cheapest option for protective treatment, instead of varnish.
- the most affordable price in the rating category;
- convenient containers from 1.5 to 14 kg;
- recommended for medical institutions;
- diluted with water;
- density 1.5-1.6 kg / l.
- immediately ready for use only in white;
- high consumption of 4-7 m2 from 1 liter;
- cannot be stored at temperatures below +5 degrees.
The best wood paint for outdoor use
The tree is actively used for sheathing gables, filing boxes, creating wind boards, fences and gates. Often, doors of utility rooms on the street, stairs and railings are made from boards. To protect the material, a special paint is used, designed for operation at low temperatures and exposure to the atmosphere. Here are the top rated products in this category.
Tikkurila Ultra Classic A
In the first place in the rating is a paint from a Finnish company, developed on a polyacrylate base. The masters in the reviews share that the decorative layer is easily applied with a roller or brush, and after drying it resists the effects of ultraviolet rays well. The semi-matte gloss effectively hides fingerprints on the surface. The packaging proudly bears the 'Scandinavian Swan' sign, which means environmental friendliness of the product. You can spray the product with a spray gun with a nozzle of 0.4-0.5 mm. The substance has a density of 1.3 kg / l. In terms of temperature resistance, it is even suitable for industrial environments.
In our opinion, the product should be rated as the most resistant to negative temperatures. The manufacturer recommends it for northern climates due to its high weather resistance properties. With the help of polyacrylate binders, the paint will retain a bright shine and will not crack when the wood naturally dries up during outdoor use.
- packaging 0.9-9.0 l;
- environmentally friendly;
- can be applied to previously painted wooden surfaces;
- diluted with water up to 10%;
- interlayer drying – 2-4 hours.
- high price;
- weak covering ability – from 1 liter it will be possible to paint over 4-7 m2;
- in liquid form, it is required to protect from frost during storage.
Caparol Amphibolin BAS 1
In second place in the ranking is a product from a German company. Facade paint for wood is produced without solvent and has high adhesion to the substrate. The substance is designed for maximum protection of wood from the external environment. The manufacturer offers packaging in 2.5, 5, 9.4 and 10 kg. During the development, specific elements for light reflection were added to it, so it is suitable for outdoor decoration of parking lots in multi-level parking or basements of unheated premises, warehouses. Users in reviews like the resistance of the product to heavy rain and the first class of resistance to wet abrasion.
And our experts rated the paint as the best in the rating for maintaining the integrity of wood deformation. Depending on the temperature and moisture level, the boards may expand, shrink or twist, but the decorative coating remains intact and does not crack.
- recommended for schools, hospitals, kindergartens and car parks;
- reflects light;
- almost no smell;
- does not contain solvent;
- does not turn yellow over time.
- high price;
- ready-made, only white or colorless;
- poorly hides the imperfections of the relief of a wooden surface (thin-layer).
In this position in the ranking there is another product from another German leader in paints and varnishes. The company has developed an oil-alkyd-based wood paint that improves weather resistance. Coating is realized in containers from 1 to 10 kg. It is white and transparent, and after drying it takes on a semi-glossy appearance. The wood should have a moisture content of no more than 18% for optimal paint adhesion. It is best to use a roller or brush for application. The product is suitable for outdoor use on gazebos, frames, doors, fences and flagpoles.
We rated the paint as the best for new or sawn wood. Clean planed wood absorbs moisture well, and this product provides sufficient penetration into the structure for adhesion and at the same time the oil 'seals' the top layer, preventing over-consumption of the decorative coating.
- there is no pungent smell;
- can be applied to old layers or clean wood;
- stored for three years;
- it is allowed to paint at air humidity up to 80%.
- the tree does not allow air to pass through;
- recommended together with Domus Base primer, which increases costs;
- must be diluted with solvent.
Parade Professional F70 Elastic
Another good tool for exterior wood finishing is this paint with the addition of the word Elastic in the name. Acrylic polymer with a water base has increased ductility and effectively hides cracks. The composition contains titanium dioxide, calcite and active substances that contribute to increased strength. The rubber cover washes well, which is what the owners like in the reviews. The product is produced odorless, since it does not contain solvents at all. Painting is allowed on already treated wood containing old paint layers. Allows you to create a single look on the facade, since it adheres well not only to wood, but also to brick and concrete.
Our experts liked the paint for its elasticity, for which it got into the rating. The decorative coating is capable of stretching up to 200% relative to the original length, which is convenient when cracking wood (beams, supports, boards) – visually everything will remain intact from the outside.
- dirt-repellent ability;
- can be operated at a temperature of -40 degrees;
- resistance to UV rays;
- vapor permeable;
- without smell.
- difficult to tint to get the same shades;
- high price;
- you can paint wood only at temperatures from +10;
- three coats are recommended for the best effect.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.