Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
A full-fledged kitchen contains a lot of different equipment, tools and gadgets for all occasions. Some things are used daily, and some things we get out of the box less often. Homemade waffles are becoming more and more popular. And although this delicacy is prepared, as a rule, not so often, there is no way to do without a special device – an electric waffle iron. recommends eight optimal models – three models each for thin waffles and thick Belgian ones, as well as two universal versions with interchangeable panels.
- Rating of the best waffle irons
- Which company to buy a waffle iron
- Best waffle makers for baking thin waffles
- Bomann HA 5017 CB
- Maxwell MW-1571
- Clatronic HA 3494
- Rating of the best waffle irons for thick (Belgian) waffles
- Clatronic WA 3606
- Jardeko Waffle Maker
- Clatronic WA 3491
- Rating of the best inexpensive waffle makers with replaceable panels
- Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E
- REDMOND RMB-M613 / 1
- Which waffle iron to choose
Rating of the best waffle irons
|nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best waffle makers for baking thin waffles||1||Bomann HA 5017 CB||RUB 2080|
|2||Maxwell MW-1571||1520 RUB.|
|3||Clatronic HA 3494||1710 RUB.|
|Best waffle makers for thick (Belgian) waffles||1||Clatronic WA 3606||1623 RUB.|
|2||Jardeko Waffle Maker||2620 RUB.|
|3||Clatronic WA 3491||1890 RUB.|
|Best inexpensive waffle makers with replaceable panels||1||Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E||5563 RUB.|
|2||REDMOND RMB-M613 / 1||1590 RUB.|
Which company to buy a waffle iron
Although electric waffle irons are extremely simple devices belonging to the class of small household appliances, there are still a number of points that force a conscious buyer not to take anything, but to look closely at the brand. Our experts explained which of the manufacturers producing waffle irons are optimal in terms of the combination of price, quality and convenience of this particular type of product.
- The German company C. Bomann Gmbh produces electric waffle irons under the BOMANN trademark. The company has almost a century and a half history, and now it is part of the Clatronic Group holding. The products belong to the middle-low price category, and those goods that enter the Russian market are collected in China.
- The CLATRONIC brand is the flagship brand of the German Clatronic Group. The very first company of the holding – CTC Clatronic International GmbH – was founded in 1982 as a family business. The entire production part has long been transferred to a contract basis in China.
- Another solid and old German brand is Rommelsbacher. The company was founded in 1928 and since then production facilities have been opened in different countries. The company now owns factories in Italy, Turkey and China. Specifically, waffle irons, like all Rommelsbacher household appliances in the lower price category, are made in Turkey and China.
- The Redmond trade mark, well known to the Russian consumer, is an international brand. The company was founded by investors from several countries – Israel, Canada and the USA. Confusion can often be found online about the country of origin of Redmond – various sources claim that it is either American, then Canadian and even Russian. The thing is that the company's policy implies the registration of individual local trademarks of the same name in each country where there is a representative office. This is done to combat counterfeiting. Most of the Redmond equipment is produced in China, but the assembly of goods for the Russian market can also be carried out in the CIS countries.
- Now about a truly Russian brand, albeit disguised as a Western one. This is the Maxwell trademark, which belongs to the domestic holding Golden Electronics. He also owns the famous VITEK brand. Maxwell is clearly positioned as an inexpensive technique for people who do not want to overpay for a big name.
- And finally, an example of such a phenomenon as dishonest branding. Jardeko brand appliances are fiercely positioned as Italian. But in fact, the copyright holder of the brand is a certain Zharyuk Igor Leonidovich with a St. Petersburg registration. Where the Jardeko waffle irons are made – there is not a word about this on the official website, and it is easy to understand that if they were really made in Italy, this would be written in the boldface type on every page. Nevertheless, we admit that the Jardeko waffle makers are quite solid, and experts considered them worthy of a review.
Best waffle makers for baking thin waffles
Let's start with the rating of waffle irons for making thin crunchy waffles, which are often used as blanks for confectionery treats. It is they who are rolled into a cone and filled with a filling – ice cream, cream and other fillers. Sometimes they are called 'American', but this is not entirely correct, since very thick, large and soft waffles, even thicker than Belgian ones, are most popular in the USA. Our experts have identified three inexpensive and noteworthy models: Bomann HA 5017 CB, Maxwell MW-1571 and Clatronic HA 3494. All three devices are equipped with cones for rolling waffles into a cone, and heating panels are coated with a non-stick layer.
Bomann HA 5017 CB
Bomann HA 5017 CB is a German waffle maker, but from Germany there is only a brand in it, since the assembly is carried out in China. The device with dimensions of 25x20x11.5 cm and weighing 1.8 kg is relatively powerful in terms of energy consumption – 1.2 watt. This power assumes a high cooking speed. Heating temperature is controlled by a mechanical switch. The surface diameter is 18 cm, which implies the preparation of one round 'pancake' in one go. Case material – plastic.
The device as a whole is very laconic in terms of functionality. Up to the point that the sash lock is not provided, and this is noted by users as a clear drawback (uneven pressure, respectively – a strong difference in wafer thickness from one edge to another and uneven baking). The manufacturer's efforts to reduce the cost of the device resulted in an unpleasant side effect – the low quality of materials. Up to the point that waffles can stick to the surface of the panels, which would seem to be non-stick. This does not happen often, but it is noted by real users.
Nevertheless, many buyers like the model precisely due to the combination of affordable price and ease of use.
Prices: 1848 – 2375 rubles.
- Beautiful design;
- overheat protection.
- low quality materials;
- no retainer;
- waffles sometimes stick to panels;
The waffle iron of the Russian trade mark Maxwell MW-1571 is also produced in China, like the Bomann HA 5017 CB. But it is much less gluttonous in terms of power consumption – only 800 watts. Moreover, this circumstance does not in any way affect the cooking speed. Where the 'extra' 400 W of the German model goes is not clear, but the reviews on Maxwell clearly indicate that waffles are prepared very quickly.
This model also provides mechanical heating control. There is a certain 'ready indicator', but in reality it only shows that heating is in progress. That is, if the light goes out, this does not mean at all that the wafer can be removed.
The device has dimensions of 12.5x26x25.5 cm and a weight of 1.62 kg. Nice silver plastic case. Unlike the previous model, the Maxwell MW-1571 is equipped with a full-fledged sash lock. A big plus is the presence of rubberized legs.
Despite the presence of a retainer, the lion's share of users notes uneven baking. True, this is expressed only in the uneven shade of the waffle, and the waffle iron brings the dough to full readiness without problems.
Prices: 1549 – 1990 rubles.
- attractive design;
- affordable price;
- rubberized legs;
- uneven baking.
Clatronic HA 3494
Another example of a waffle iron with a German 'soul' but a Chinese 'body' is Clatronic HA 3494. Almost all lines of household appliances of this brand are positioned as budget ones, and in this case it is very noticeable.
The waffle maker consumes 1.2 kW of power from the mains, measures 20.5x25x11.5 cm and weighs 1.44 kg. The baking diameter is 18 cm.
Many users note not the highest-quality assembly and poorly thought-out moments of operation by engineers. For example, the top flap does not fold back enough to stand upright without support. Accordingly, when pouring the dough, you need to hold it, and this is inconvenient.
There is also a lot of dissatisfaction with the short cord to the outlet, but this is a 'disease' of a very, very large number of modern household appliances, even large and not the cheapest ones. Customers also did not like the device for folding waffles into tubes / cones. With cones – order, and for tubes, the shape is too short.
Prices: 1450 – 2375 rubles.
- overheat protection;
- rubberized feet.
- poor quality assembly;
- inconvenience in operation.
Rating of the best waffle irons for thick (Belgian) waffles
Now let's move on to the rating of another type of waffle iron, which are used to prepare thick, fluffy Belgian waffles with large cells. This delicacy has been a very exotic phenomenon in our country for a long time, but the availability of homemade waffle irons with suitable shapes does the trick. Experts have looked after three interesting models: Clatronic WA 3606, Jardeko Waffle Maker and Clatronic WA 3491. All models have a non-stick coating of panels.
Clatronic WA 3606
And again about 'China Germany' – the Clatronic WA 3606 waffle maker, now for Belgian waffles. The dimensions in the package are 26x24x14 cm, and the weight is 1905 g. The body is predominantly plastic, on the top of the lid there is a stainless steel plate. Heating regulation is mechanical, smooth. There is a storage compartment for the cord.
The device is designed for the preparation of two portions of waffles (the dimensions of the working surface are 13.5×21.5). Overheating protection implemented. Rubberized feet provide stability.
As in the case of the above-described model for thin wafers of the same brand, the Clatronic WA 3606 has one problem – the low quality of materials. And in this case, this is also expressed in frequent complaints about the unstable non-stick coating of the panels and its local damage. And not the most 'jewelry' assembly – this is more the rule than the exception for Clatronic. But, since we are talking about a budget model, then the extremely affordable price in this case decides.
Prices: 1658 – 2300 rubles.
- attractive design;
- rubberized legs;
- overheat protection;
- poor quality assembly;
- frequent complaints about damaged non-stick coating.
Jardeko Waffle Maker
As already discussed in detail above in the descriptions of the brands, the 'Italian' Jardeko waffle iron is not Italian at all, but quite the same Chinese as all the previous ones, and even the brand belongs to a Russian citizen. But, nevertheless, the device is solid, albeit extremely (if not prohibitively) laconic.
The power consumption of this model is 1300 W. The case is metal – it would seem that it is not bad, but the design of this case is characterized by users as very dull. In general, everything that can be removed has been removed in this model. Even the operating modes are absent as a class – the temperature is not regulated at all.
However, many users are attracted by this extreme simplicity, the positive side effect of which is reliability and clarity. Indeed, there were no complaints about the rapid failure of Jardeko Waffle Maker among the reviews in open sources by the employees.
Prices: 2301 – 2680 rubles.
- exceptional ease of use.
- 'boring' design;
- the only mode of operation;
Clatronic WA 3491
And once again Clatronic, namely, the model of the Clatronic WA 3491 waffle maker. The device is characterized by an attractive design and good ergonomics. By the way, this is the only waffle iron among all those present in the review, which has a white body, but there are also black ones. Case material – plastic. Dimensions – 20.5x25x11.5 cm, weight – 1.25 kg. Power consumption – 1.2 kW.
Power is enough for fast cooking, which many real users liked. The panels are shaped to prepare five portions, each in the shape of a heart.
Customers note the attractive design of the Clatronic WA 3491, but also do not forget about the Clatronic's 'native' problem of cheap parts and sloppy assembly. But the cost outweighs all the disadvantages, and the model as a whole is quite workable.
Prices: 1508 – 1999 rubles.
- nice design;
- fast cooking;
- overheat protection;
- upper sash backlash;
- low quality materials and workmanship.
Rating of the best inexpensive waffle makers with replaceable panels
And finally, let's go through the universal waffle makers, in which you can change the heating panels. Such devices have their pros and cons, which we will consider. Our experts recommend two notable models from the affordable price segment: Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E and REDMOND RMB-M613 / 1.
Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E
The Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E waffle maker is already much more 'German' than the models for thin waffles described above. Although it is produced in the same China and less often in Turkey, the manufacturer monitors the quality very vigilantly. This is reflected in a solid build, quality materials and … a significantly higher price.
Immediately I would like to note the laconic, but effective and stylish design of the Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E. The case is made of stainless steel with a matt polish. The dimensions of the device are 24x25x9 cm, weight – 1.7 kg. Power consumption – 1 kW. The heating temperature is set by a mechanical stepless regulator.
The housing has a compartment for storing the electrical cable. The model is completed with panels for cooking Belgian and Viennese waffles.
In general, it is extremely difficult to find clear flaws in this waffle iron. Even the fact that the Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E earned a special award from the famous German magazine Haus & Garten speaks of its quality and convenience. But the price stops many.
Prices: 6520 – 6590 rubles.
- stylish design;
- convenience of a form factor;
- build quality;
- high price.
REDMOND RMB-M613 / 1
Waffle makers of the well-known international trade mark REDMOND RMB-M613 / 1 are produced and assembled in China. Despite the Chinese assembly and the extremely affordable price, there are no complaints from users either about the quality of the materials or the assembly itself. In this regard, REDMOND household appliances are mostly in order.
This model has dimensions 236x236x90 mm, weighs 1.7 kg and is designed for 2 servings of waffles (with standard panels). Consumes electricity very modestly – only 700 watts. Combined case material – high-quality plastic and stainless steel.
REDMOND RMB-M613 / 1 is positioned by the manufacturer not even as a waffle iron, but as a 'multi-baker', they say, due to the use of different molds, the device can be not only a waffle iron. It can be used to make scrambled eggs, muffins and donuts, and can also be used as a grill. The delivery set, in addition to instructions, includes a set of additional work panels and a recipe book.
A side effect of versatility is expressed in a slightly more difficult care, since in this model you will have to wipe not only the panels and the case themselves, but also the space inside the doors, as oil, crumbs and other 'foreign substances' penetrate there. Many users notice an unpleasant smell during the first few uses, so it is advisable to heat the newly purchased waffle iron several times before the first cooking.
Prices: 1590 rub.
- super-quality non-stick coating;
- stylish design;
- 'safe' large handle;
- unpleasant odor on first use.
Which waffle iron to choose
Now let's summarize and decide which of the described waffle irons will be most advisable to buy, and for what purposes.
- The three presented models for preparing thin waffles are approximately equivalent in terms of price, functionality and quality. These are budget devices, in which the best can be distinguished rather by a smaller number of disadvantages than by a combination of advantages. And with this approach, we can confidently recommend Maxwell MW-1571.
- The situation with the models for Belgian waffles is more interesting. Of the two 'sisters' – Clatronic WA 3606 and Clatronic WA 3491 – the second one unambiguously wins. There are too many claims to WA 3606 regarding the quality and integrity of the non-stick coating, and this is the most important point. Jardeko Waffle Maker is an ideal model for the lazy and those who are more likely to be demoralized by wide functionality and all kinds of settings. You just need to get used to and adjust to her behavior.
- With models with interchangeable panels, everything is quite simple. There is money – definitely Rommelsbacher WA 1000 / E. It stands up to the most impartial criticism in terms of quality. And there is no money, then there is no choice, but REDMOND RMB-M613 / 1 cannot be called a bad choice, even regardless of the price. The abundance and variety of molds compensates for small flaws, which, by the way, are not particularly noticeable in this model.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.