Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
A modem – not to be confused with a router – is a device for accessing the Internet. It essentially makes a 'dial-up' to the provider's servers and establishes a connection with them. Therefore, the modem should be purchased only if the Internet is accessed via ADSL or 4G. For providers that provide a PPPoE connection or provide a dynamic IP within a local shared network, you need to use a router.
- What to look for when choosing a modem
- Modem of which company to choose
- Rating of the best modems for the Internet
- Best ADSL Modems
- ZyXEL P-660RU EE
- D-Link DSL-2520U
- Best ADSL Wi-Fi Modems
- D-Link DSL-2640U
- ZyXEL Keenetic VOX
- NETGEAR DGND3700
- Rating of the best 4G modems for laptop (USB)
- Huawei E8372
- ZTE MF823
- Rating of the best fixed modems with LTE
- ZyXEL LTE6100
- Which modem to buy
What to look for when choosing a modem
When choosing a modem, you should pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Internet connection type. Homes that use ADSL in various forms require an ADSL modem. To connect to a mobile network, a 3G / 4G device is required;
- Internet speed for ADSL modems. The higher it is, the faster the access to the network will be. However, it should be borne in mind that not all providers are capable of providing an ADSL connection faster than 24 Mbps. If the speed specified in the contract is less than this value and it is not planned to increase it, a simple ADSL modem will do. If it is higher (or you plan to increase it), you should pay attention to models with support for a 100 Mbps connection;
- Mobile internet standard. This parameter is worth paying attention to when choosing a 4G modem. In most cities in Russia, 4G coverage is dense and stable, but outside of large settlements it is lost. Therefore, to use a modem in a village, pay attention to models that also support 3G;
- Router functionality. A router, also known as a router, is a device for creating a local network of a wireless or wired type (with or without Internet access). Modems that are equipped with this feature have either multiple Ethernet ports for connecting additional computers or a Wi-Fi module for creating wireless coverage.
- The communication protocols used in modems will also be important to system administrators. However, for most home users, they don't really matter as these standards are cross-compatible.
Modem of which company to choose
- D-Link. A company that specializes in the production of telecommunications and network equipment. The main advantage is that most of the devices are distinguished by a low price while maintaining the functionality that is optimal for home use;
- Zyxel. Produces multifunctional modems and routers with the ability to deeply customize work parameters;
- Huawei, ZTE. Manufacturers of mobile telecommunications equipment, including 4G modems and routers.
- You can also mention the company Netgear, but there are not as many devices in its product line as other manufacturers.
Rating of the best modems for the Internet
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best ADSL Modems||1||ZyXEL P-660RU EE||RUB 950|
|2||D-Link DSL-2520U||3283 RUB.|
|Best ADSL Wi-Fi Modems||1||D-Link DSL-2640U||1283 RUB|
|2||ZyXEL Keenetic VOX||3812 RUB.|
|3||NETGEAR DGND3700||12 725 RUB.|
|Best 4G modems for laptop (USB)||1||Huawei E8372||3090 RUB.|
|2||ZTE MF823||2400 RUB.|
|The best landline modems with LTE||1||ZyXEL LTE6100||24 256 RUB.|
Best ADSL Modems
ZyXEL P-660RU EE
ADSL modem with router functionality (one Ethernet port) and the ability to work in network bridge mode. Easy to set up. Parameters can be set both through the web interface and using a special utility that comes with the kit. Supports automatic reconnection when communication is lost. Adapted to the ASDL 2+ standard, which is most often used by Russian providers.
- Keeps the network stable even on relatively weak lines;
- Easy to set up;
- Supports work in bridge mode;
- Heats up quite a bit during operation;
- There are no official firmware updates.
ADSL modem with VPN Pass Through support, Ethernet and USB connectors for connecting to a computer, as well as the ability to work in a network bridge mode. Works fast, supports 10 and 100 Mbps connections. It keeps the network excellent even on weak connections.
- Holds the network stably;
- Can 'distribute internet' via USB;
- Supports work in bridge mode;
- Perceptibly heats up during operation;
- To reconnect, you need to reboot the modem;
- It is presented in various revisions, which complicates the choice;
Best ADSL Wi-Fi Modems
ADSL modem with Wi-Fi router and Ethernet switch functionality. Equipped with 4 RJ-45 connectors to create a wired LAN. It distributes Wi-Fi using the 802.11n standard (one of the most widespread and compatible with various devices) at 2.4 GHz.
Supports static and dynamic routing, dynamic DNS, work as a DHCP server, has a built-in firewall.
Equipped with 1 fixed antenna.
- Stable connection to ADSL-network even on very long lines;
- Supports Annex standards;
- Equipped with USB and Ethernet connectors for local wired network;
- The settings are stored in volatile memory; after turning off the device, you will have to set the operating parameters again;
- One Wi-Fi antenna, which results in narrow network coverage;
- Heats up noticeably;
ZyXEL Keenetic VOX
ADSL router with a USB port for connecting a 4G modem. This provides a backup connection to the Internet if the wired connection is broken or simply unstable. It is also equipped with a switch for 4 LAN ports and a USB connector for connecting to a computer. It can be used as a print server – in this case, the printer will need to be connected to a modem via USB. There is a built-in IP telephony client. On the modem interface, you can configure a VPN connection to carry traffic for the entire local network.
In addition, depending on the connected device, the modem can be used as a file or FTP server. It also supports uploading files to an attached storage device.
Wi-Fi broadcasts according to the 802.11n standard, the maximum data transfer rate over a wireless network is 300 Mbps. Supported by WPS.
- Stable connection on short and long lines;
- Huge functionality;
- Support for Internet channels reservation (additional channels can be installed both via a 4G modem and via Wi-Fi AP);
- Built-in Wi-Fi antenna, resulting in narrow wireless coverage;
- The IP telephony client may fall off.
Multifunctional ADSL modem with the ability to work in Wi-Fi router and LAN communicator mode. Equipped with 4 Ethernet ports for a local network and 2 full-fledged USB connectors (they can work as a file or DNLA server, as well as for network redundancy over a 4G channel).
The wireless network uses the widespread 802.11n standard, supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz with simultaneous operation, and has a 'guest mode'. The maximum data transfer rate is 300 Mbps.
Wired network – at gigabit speed.
Many disadvantages can be solved by reflashing the router with custom software, but this will lead to a loss of warranty.
- Fast wired and wireless local area networks;
- Stable ADSL connection;
- Dual-band Wi-Fi with the ability to work both bands simultaneously and a guest network;
- Working as a file server, which is accessible via HTTPS and FTP;
- On some firmware versions, it is impossible to change the IP of the DHCP server;
- Does not work in print server mode;
- The Russian-language web interface lacks the ability to configure Wi-Fi;
Rating of the best 4G modems for laptop (USB)
One of the most common laptop USB modems. It is he who is most often used by mobile operators for personal branding. Supplied with unlocked firmware, compatible with SIM cards of any provider of standard 3G / 4G bands.
Equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi router. Configurable via web interface, supports 2G, 3G and LTE.
- Built-in Wi-Fi router;
- The presence of a simple LED indication on the case;
- Simple and intuitive web interface;
- High data transfer rate;
- Confidently works with 3G and 4G;
- When working with SIM cards of some operators, it may be difficult to configure the device;
- Weak Wi-Fi due to limited antenna power.
Simple and budgetary USB LTE modem for laptop, which can also be used as a card reader. Also often used by mobile operators for personal branding. Supplied with unlocked firmware, compatible with SIM-cards of almost any operator.
It is configured through an application installed on a computer. Supports LTE and older communication standards. The maximum download speed is 100 Mbps.
- Possibility to connect an external antenna;
- You have root access;
- Holds the network well;
- Compatible with most routers without flashing;
- Heats up noticeably during use;
- Works only through its own software.
Rating of the best fixed modems with LTE
External LTE modem with LAN routing. Equipped with two Ethernet connectors for connecting computers or routers. The maximum data transfer rate over a wireless connection is 100 Mbps. The outdoor unit is powered according to the PoE standard.
The data transfer rate within the local network via LAN is gigabit.
The outdoor unit is equipped with a directional antenna power of 13 dB. The modem is adapted to work with Russian mobile operators.
- Strong, reliable connection to the mobile network, even with unstable signal.
- Complexity of installation;
- Does not support 3G.
Which modem to buy
- When choosing a modem, you should pay attention to the intended use. So, to connect to ADSL providers, you need an ADSL modem. And for communication with the mobile network – already 4G.
- ADSL modems without router function are intended only for Internet access. It is advisable to buy them if you plan to connect only one computer to the network.
- In order to raise a local network at home to several computers or mobile devices, you will need an ADSL modem with a router function (for example, Wi-Fi). The functionality of the router should be chosen based on the intended use.
- Likewise for 3G modems.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.