Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
For the vast majority of ordinary consumers, even a semi-professional digital camera is too redundant in functionality. And the relatively high cost makes such an acquisition completely inappropriate. An inexpensive amateur camera would be a worthy alternative in this case. If the task is to capture the best moments of life in a photo or video, to leave a memory of a trip or a significant event, modern digital 'point-and-shoot' cameras and pseudo-mirror bridge cameras cope with this 100%.
- Rating of the best inexpensive digital cameras
- Which company to choose an inexpensive digital camera
- Best inexpensive digital cameras
- Canon PowerShot SX420 IS
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W800
- Canon PowerShot A1100 IS
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W830
- Nikon Coolpix B500
- Nikon Coolpix S7000
- Nikon Coolpix L340
- What inexpensive digital camera to buy
Rating of the best inexpensive digital cameras
|nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best inexpensive cameras||1||Canon PowerShot SX420 IS||12490|
|2||Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W800||6290|
|3||Canon PowerShot A1100 IS||8300|
|4||Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W830||7190|
|5||Nikon Coolpix B500||14300|
|6||Nikon Coolpix S7000||16610|
|7||Nikon Coolpix L340||8990|
Which company to choose an inexpensive digital camera
There is a very wide range of inexpensive digital cameras from famous brands on the modern market. As for the trade marks, there are no surprises – the leaders of sales were and remain well-known to all Sony, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and others.
Almost every top manufacturer has a line of simple and inexpensive camera models. But it is not possible to clearly distinguish any series, focusing only on the brand. This is not to say that Sony digital mirrorless cameras are generally better or worse than comparable Nikon or Canon models. In any case, at least a cursory comparative analysis is required to make a purchase decision.
We decided to make this task easier for you and studied the offer of inexpensive cameras from the 'star' trio – Sony, Nikon, Canon, highlighting the 7 most prominent models.
Best inexpensive digital cameras
Let's consider the characteristics and capabilities of specific models of inexpensive digital cameras of an affordable price segment. Our experts conducted a study of independent reviews of real buyers of each described model and compared them with the characteristics declared by the manufacturers. Highlighting specific advantages and disadvantages, we were guided precisely by the prevailing opinion of consumers.
Canon PowerShot SX420 IS
Canon's affordable PowerShot SX420 IS digital camera contains a 20-megapixel CCD and 42x optical zoom lens covering focal lengths from 24 to 1008 mm. This combination allows you to obtain images suitable for printing on large format – up to A3 +.
The camera features reliable and accurate optical image stabilization, allowing you to get clear pictures at multiple magnifications.
On the back of the digital camera there is a mechanical Smart Auto button for convenient switching to automatic shooting mode and back. Manual white balance adjustment supported.
The Canon PowerShot SX420 IS has built-in Wi-Fi and NFC wireless communication modules. This allows you to quickly upload photos and videos directly to the network using the free Canon Camera Connect app installed on your smartphone.
Powered by NB-11LH Li-ion battery.
Price: from 11360 to 17890 rubles.
- simple, intuitive menu;
- high-quality optical stabilization;
- built-in modules of wireless communication Wi-Fi and NFC;
- successful implementation of the possibility of shooting from a high angle;
- powerful zoom;
- slow burst shooting;
- no USB connector for downloading photos;
- no connector for charging the battery without removing;
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W800
A small and inexpensive pocket-size digital camera equipped with a 20.1 megapixel Super HAD CCD. The lens supports 5x optical zoom with coverage from 26mm to 130mm.
The camera has a set of presets adapted for shooting most typical scenes, without the need for fine settings and photography skills. Convenient panoramic shooting function. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W800 captures 720p HD video.
The Intel ligent Auto function has been implemented, designed to recognize plots and change settings on the fly. But according to numerous reviews, in this model it is poorly developed – it works with a resolution limitation of 5 megapixels, giving out an often inexpressive picture, despite the optical stabilization.
A 6.7 cm 230400 pixel LCD monitor located on the rear panel is used for previewing captured photos and videos.
Powered by a supplied NP-BN Li-ion battery.
Price: from 6290 to 6990 rubles.
- metal case;
- the most affordable price among devices of this class;
- relatively powerful flash;
- very simple menu;
- compact pocket form factor;
- slow auto-tuning;
- limited and little-functional intelligent auto mode.
- lack of control modes familiar to photographers;
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS
This digital camera is equipped with a 12.1 megapixel sensor and a 4x optical zoom lens. The focal length range is from 35 to 140 mm. Image processing is handled by Canon's original DIGIC 4 processor.
Optical stabilization does a good job of protecting images from blurring when the camera vibrates, but not at maximum magnification. When shooting distant shots at the maximum zoom, faulty optical alignment affects.
On the back there is a 2.5 ”screen with a resolution of 150,000 pixels. In bright sunlight, the display significantly loses color saturation, but does not “fade” completely. The device does not support screen brightness adjustment.
In Auto mode, most settings are unavailable, and creative modes are missing. Some manual settings open in 'P' mode.
Price: from 6990 to 11290 rubles.
- powered by AA batteries;
- the ability to manually configure;
- image stabilizer;
- macro function;
- excessive energy consumption;
- poorly aligned optics;
- unreliable autofocus;
- tendency to overexpose;
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W830
An inexpensive but improved 'version' of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W800. Equipped with a similar 20.1 megapixel Super HAD CCD, but with a more powerful 8x optical zoom. The optics in this model are unexpectedly 'elite' – from Carl Zeiss himself.
On the back of the camera is a 6.7 cm LCD screen with a resolution of 230400 pixels.
Settings are limited to preset white balance (auto, daylight, cloudy sky, etc.) and picture color effects. The software function Intel ligent Auto is designed to recognize specific scenes and adjust the settings of the device for them.
Fast switching to video shooting is carried out by a mechanical button. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W830 records video in HD 720p.
The digital camera is powered by a lithium-ion battery supplied with the camera.
Price: from 6368 to 10300 r.
- Zeiss optics;
- support for shooting video in HD 720p;
- panoramic photo function;
- macro function;
- compact pocket form factor;
- the power button is too recessed;
- overestimation of photosensitivity with loss of quality when there is a lack of lighting;
- the captured frame 'hangs' on the screen for a long time.
- long focusing;
- frequent 'noise' in any lighting and ISO;
- the chrome finish peels off in the first weeks of use;
Nikon Coolpix B500
The Nikon Coolpix B500 digital camera is equipped with a 16-megapixel sensor and a lens with an impressive 40x optical zoom. In combination with Nikon's 'proprietary' Dynamic Fine Zoom function, up to 80x magnification is achieved. The zoom is also easy to use thanks to the zoom return button. The combination of these functions covers a focal length range from 24 to 920 mm, which makes it possible for even such a small sensor to clearly capture distant objects.
The Nikon Coolpix B500's equipment is rather austere, but for bridge cameras it is more the rule than the exception. From the useful one can single out a high-quality stabilizer, a convenient rotatable 3-inch screen with a resolution of 921 thousand pixels. The unit is capable of capturing videos in Full HD format and syncing with wearable devices via the SnapBridge app.
Powered by AA batteries, one set can shoot approximately 240 photos or 88 minutes of video.
Price: 12990 – 18990 rubles.
- one of the fastest devices in its class (9.1 frames per second);
- synchronization with wearable gadgets using a free application.
- AA batteries;
- built-in Wi-Fi and BlueTooth modules;
- support for recording video to Full HD;
- fast focusing;
- high-quality image stabilization;
- rotary screen;
- powerful optical zoom;
- relatively large weight;
- excessive noise reduction in low light and maximum zoom;
Nikon Coolpix S7000
The Nikon Coolpix S7000 features a 16-megapixel back-illuminated CMOS sensor. The NIKKOR lens is capable of 20x optical zoom, and when combined with Dynamic Fine Zoom, the zoom expands up to 40x, covering a focal length range from 25mm to 500mm.
In this model, a hybrid system of vibration suppression along four axes is well implemented. It effectively eliminates unwanted effects from camera shake.
Nikon Coolpix S7000 can shoot video in high definition Full HD 1080p 60fps. The convenient 'Easy Panorama' feature lets you take panoramic photos by simply swiping the camera horizontally in a circle, just like shooting a video.
Equipped with Wi-Fi and NFC wireless communication modules.
Price: 13998 – 14270 rub.
- compact pocket form factor;
- fairly fast work in general;
- built-in Wi-Fi module;
- powerful optical zoom;
- macro function;
- simple and logical menu;
- inconvenient and poorly thought out flash position (when shooting with a flash at close range, the lens shadow enters the frame, the flash itself is easy to block with your finger);
- too tight wheel for switching modes;
- a lot of noise at medium ISO;
- poor focusing in poor lighting conditions;
- limited set of manual settings;
Nikon Coolpix L340
This digital camera is equipped with a 20 megapixel CCD sensor and a 28x optical zoom lens covering a focal length range from 22.5 to 630 mm. The Dynamic Fine Zoom software function expands the zoom capabilities up to 56x without noticeable loss of quality.
The user is offered 18 scene modes with optimal (according to the developers) preset parameters for various shooting conditions. A separate mechanical button is allocated to switch to video shooting and back. Nikon Coolpix L340 video is capable of shooting in HD 720p format.
A 7.5 cm LCD screen is used for previewing the captured photo, which does not “fade” even in bright light.
The camera is powered by AA batteries.
Price: 10990 – 11990 rubles.
- powerful and high quality zoom.
- very picky about lighting;
- inexplicable exactingness to the position of the lens cover – any manipulations in the menu can be performed only with the cover removed;
- poor set of settings;
- slow autofocus, at high magnification often does not focus normally at all;
- poorly catches movement in auto mode;
What inexpensive digital camera to buy
Now, as a short summary, let's summarize – to whom, for what tasks and in what conditions this or that digital camera is most suitable:
- The Canon PowerShot SX420 IS does a great job of capturing scenes from everyday life, family holidays, vacations and outdoor activities.
- Nikon Coolpix S7000 is suitable for tourists and all those who often photograph architecture and various sights. Especially when shooting outdoors, where you can often find a good angle only from afar and you need a reliable zoom.
- Nikon Coolpix L340 is also a good choice for tourists and those who definitely need a good zoom. This digital camera is good at capturing the details of tiles on an old roof, animals on the other side of the river, and the like. At the same time, one should not rely on the printing quality of the images, but the capabilities of the device are enough to publish a photo report in social networks.
- Nikon Coolpix B500 – due to its high speed and acceptable shooting quality, this model can be recommended to freelance journalists, reporting from the event, novice live bloggers, active travelers.
- The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W800 is a good 'everyday' option for those who like to have their camera close at hand. The form factor allows you to carry your digital camera even in your jeans pocket.
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W830 is almost a complete analogue of Cyber-shot DSC-W800, only with more powerful zoom and a more viable intelligent auto mode.
- Canon PowerShot A1100 IS – by a combination of factors, this is the weakest model of the above. Suitable for the most ordinary shooting in full lighting without extreme magnification. When traveling, you must have several sets of batteries in reserve.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.