Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Overlock is a device that helps to sweep the edges of the product beautifully so that they do not crumble and look neat. Some believe that it is not worth spending money on such equipment if there is a sewing machine at home with a similar function. But this is not entirely correct. The whole secret is in quality, the overlock will make the seam better, after washing the threads will not crumble and the edge will remain even. Therefore, such a device is simply necessary if a woman sews often.
- How to choose an overlock
- The table of advantages and disadvantages which is better than overlock or coverlock
- Rating of the best overlocks
- The best inexpensive overlocks
- Janome MyLock 210D
- Brother 1034D / 929D
- Aurora 600D
- The best overlocks in terms of price-quality ratio
- Janome MyLock 944D
- Juki PE 770
- Aurora 700D
- Brother 4234D
- Bernina Bernette Funlock B44
- Merrylock 010
- The best professional overlocks
- BabyLock Ovation BLES8
- Bernina 1300MDC
How to choose an overlock
Today the market offers a lot of models at various prices. In fact, they all do the same job, but they differ in the threading system or some work better with certain fabrics. Nevertheless, in order not to waste your money, you need to know a few rules before buying an overlock:
- Necessity. Of course, it is worth deciding how much this thing is needed. The sewing machines have an imitation overlock finish. But, using this function is good when you do not have to sew often. If the hostess sheathes the whole family or works to order, the purchase of an overlock is simply necessary. No sewing machine is capable of overcasting as well as a special device.
- Number of threads to sew. Overlocks come in two, three, four and five-thread. The first ones, although they perform their function, are not 5 points. The quality of work here leaves much to be desired. Experts advise choosing at least a three-thread model. The thread after overwinding will not unravel, the seam is tight and neat. And for professional craftsmen, you can stop at five-thread devices. Such people also know how to embroider and stitch parts together.
- Number of stitch types. Basic stitches are enough for beginners, and models with the ability to sew seams for quilting, patchwork and knitwear are often suitable for sewing craftswomen.
- Control. Electronic control will allow you to quickly switch the operation on the display, thereby changing the type of stitching or automatically adjusting the stitch size. Mechanical models will require a certain amount of time to complete such operations. For example, changing the stitch may even require replacing the needle board. For craftswomen working for a stream, this option is not suitable.
- Threading – automatic or mechanic. There are models that can automatically thread the needles. But the cost of such devices is much higher than conventional ones, with a manual refueling mechanism.
Choosing an overlock, you can stumble upon an offer to purchase another device instead, called a consonant – a coverlock. What is the difference between them?
The table of advantages and disadvantages which is better than overlock or coverlock
These two devices are really similar in functionality, but this is at first glance. A conventional overlocker can produce overcast seams of varying density. And carpetlocks have advanced features. This is a cross between a cover sewing machine and an overlock machine. They are better at knitting and stretch fabrics and are capable of flat and other types of stitches. In general, if a craftswoman sews only from knitwear, she will not need any other technique besides a carpetlock. It can overcast and stitch stretch fabrics together.
Of course, today there are many overlock models that have a flatlock function, but this is a simplified version of the cover stitch. For carpet locks, this option has been worked out and the quality is much better. To make it easier to navigate, all the advantages and disadvantages of one and the other device are presented in the table.
Wrap. Gently processes the edges of the product so that they do not crumble or shaggy.
Trimming fabric edges. The overlocks are equipped with special knives to cut loose materials.
Ease of controls. For novice craftswomen, many experts recommend purchasing an overlock.
A small number of sewing operations. The coverlock is more functional.
Does not grind products.
Wrapping and unstitching. The coverlock combines the function of a sewing machine and can work with different fabrics. But he also knows how to unstitch, i.e. copes well with stitching on stretch fabrics.
Stitching. Can make a seam and overcast seam, i.e. simultaneously grind and overcast the edges.
The number of working threads. The coverlock has up to 10 threads, this makes it possible to make decorative seams of varying complexity with it. Overlocks are five-thread maximum.
Cost. Coverlocks are much more expensive than overlocks, which justifies their functionality. Therefore, if you need a machine only for wrapping, there is no point in spending money on such a device.
Bulky. Coverlocks combine 2 cars, so they are mostly bulky and heavy.
Our experts carried out a detailed analysis of the brands and models of overlock devices and made a rating. The appraisal was based on feedback from the owners and the opinions of apparel industry experts.
Rating of the best overlocks
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best inexpensive overlocks||1||Janome MyLock 210D||RUB 12 845|
|2||Brother 1034D / 929D||RUB 13 056|
|3||Aurora 600D||RUB 12,290|
|The best overlocks in terms of price-quality ratio||1||Janome MyLock 944D||RUB 27,500|
|2||Juki PE 770||RUB 28,500|
|3||Aurora 700D||RUB 19,900|
|4||Brother 4234D||RUB 27,500|
|5||Bernina Bernette Funlock B44||RUB 24,990|
|6||Merrylock 010||RUB 17,500|
|The best professional overlockers||1||BabyLock Ovation BLES8||RUB 139,900|
|2||Bernina 1300MDC||RUB 79,900|
The best inexpensive overlocks
Janome MyLock 210D
A good model not only for beginners, but also for experienced craftswomen. It is unlikely that it will work to order with such a device, but it is perfect for sewing clothes for a family. Janome MyLock 210D is one of the most reliable overlockers that perform well their functions.
According to reviews, the model copes with all fabrics, including thick jeans. Knitwear stitches well. There is a rolled seam and a flatlock function (similar to a seam made on a cover sewing machine). Manual thread tension. The maximum sewing speed is 1500 stitches per minute. The display is not provided for this model. Construction weight 8 kg.
- quality lines;
- there is a flatlock function;
- copes with all fabrics, including thin ones;
- simple device.
- some reviews indicate excessive noise of the device.
Brother 1034D / 929D
The next position in the ranking is occupied by the Brother 1034D / 929D model. It can produce three and four thread stitches, the quality of the stitches is quite decent. According to reviews, it is compatible with the cost of the device. The overlocker can handle any fabric, including chiffon and tight denim.
The number of sewing operations in the device is 8, the threading of the looper is automatic. There is a function of rolled seam and flatlock seam. Threading according to reviews is simple, even a novice master can handle it. Despite the mechanical control, the model is easy to operate. The Brother 1034D / 929D sews at 1300 rpm. The tension of the threads is controlled manually, the design does not provide a display.
- good quality seams;
- does not get warm during work;
- simple construction;
- easy threading;
- the model is not picky about threads.
- according to reviews, it can ride on the table if you do not put anything under the overlock;
- it takes a lot of time to figure out the instructions.
This model makes it possible to sew with two, three and four thread seams, creating dense stitches. The number of operations that the overlock can perform is 6. The device is simple. There is a chain and cover stitch. Reviews speak about the good quality of the overlock.
Copes easily with capricious and heavily crumbled fabrics of any density. There is a manual control of the thread tension, it is not difficult to set up. The model can work with a maximum productivity of 1200 stitches per minute. The lighting of the device is good, the light falls directly on the work surface. At the bottom of the structure there are suction cups, this prevents it from jumping on the table, interfering with work.
- good quality seams;
- works with fabrics of any density;
- simple mechanism;
- there is a possibility of attachment to the table using suction cups;
- a soft cover protects the structure from dust.
- according to reviews, cut tissue particles may fall under the front cover.
The best overlocks in terms of price-quality ratio
Janome MyLock 944D
A worthy place in the ranking is occupied by the Janome MyLock 944D overlock. The quality of tailoring according to reviews is excellent. The machine copes with the basic functionality. It is possible to make two, three and four-thread seams, so the stitches are tight, the edges do not crumble.
The overlocker can sew up to 11 types of stitches. Among them there is a flatlock function – an imitation of a cover stitch. The Super Stretch Stitch option will help you achieve a good overcasting effect on knitwear. The device can sew up to 1300 stitches per minute. This is more than enough for home use. There is a possibility of automatic threading of the looper and manual control of the thread tension. Suitable for working with any type of fabric: from the thinnest to jeans in several layers.
- expanded number of operations – 11 stitches can be performed;
- good quality of work;
- there is a soft case;
- copes with any fabric.
- according to reviews, there are no complaints about the overlock, except that the price is slightly overpriced.
Juki PE 770
The model is easy to use, suitable for both professionals and novice craftswomen. The instruction is presented in clear language, the settings are simple. The Juki PE 770 makes a variety of stitches, including two, three and four stitches.
Users refer this overlock to reliable devices that do their job well. Suitable for any type of fabric. A big plus is the automatic control of the thread tension. This option saves time and helps to improve the quality of your work. The design is compact, does not travel on the table during work and does not create much noise. The maximum number of stitches per minute is 1500. The rise of the foot is up to 8 mm.
- quality model;
- does not make much noise;
- suitable for different fabrics.
- according to reviews, the model has a dim backlight.
The next place in the ranking is occupied by the Aurora 700D overlock. Fast and quiet, performs up to 9 sewing operations. Can sew in 2, 3, 4 threads. The quality of the stitches is at a height, it takes any fabrics, even users have no complaints about overlapping knitwear.
The model performs a beautiful rolled and chain stitch. The main thing is to properly configure the device, and its operation will not cause any complaints. The device is simple, even a beginner can figure it out. There are colored markings for threading. Sews any fabrics, even old ones. Cuts neatly without damaging the product. The maximum speed at which the device operates is 1200 stitches per minute. There is a differential feed.
- does the job well;
- there is a removable sleeve platform;
- automatic threading of the looper;
- easy to use.
- according to reviews, it is not always possible to buy parts, for example, knives.
Even the most experienced craftswomen will appreciate this model. Sewing takes place in 2, 3 and 4 threads. The stitches are tight and even. The design provides for automatic threading of the needles and looper, there is a thread former and the ability to adjust the pressure of the material when sewing.
Number of operations 15. There is a flatlock seam and a roll. With these remarkable qualities, the technique consumes little electricity, only 70 watts. Among the additional features, users appreciated the convenience of the removable sleeve platform and the presence of color coding. The maximum number of stitches per minute is 1300. The weight of the structure is only 6 kg. The kit includes a pedal.
- takes all fabrics;
- number of operations 15;
- automatic threading.
- according to some reviews, it is inconvenient to change needles.
Bernina Bernette Funlock B44
The next place in the ranking is occupied by the Bernina Bernette Funlock B44. Suitable for both beginners and experienced craftsmen who sew to order. The overlocker can perform two, three and four thread seams. Maximum speed 1300 stitches per minute. In total, the model can perform 15 sewing operations. It's easy to manage, even a beginner can figure it out. The instruction is written available. The thread is inserted quickly, there is an automatic threading of the looper.
The design provides for a waste bin, so that the workplace is always kept clean. There is a protection system, when the cover is open, the overlock will not start sewing. For convenience, the model is equipped with a bright backlight, no additional lighting is required.
- suitable for work on stream at home;
- sews neatly;
- convenient control;
- 15 sewing operations.
- according to some reviews, the device is too noisy in operation.
A great option for frequent sewing at home. It will help experienced craftswomen to dress the whole family in a short time. The overlocker performs 1300 stitches per minute with 3 and 4 threads for threading. Rolled seam available. Total number of sewing operations 8.
According to reviews, the model is easy to set up and prepare for work, if you understand the instructions, it will take no more than 10 minutes. Moreover, the design provides for automatic threading of the looper. The fabric cuts evenly, creating neat seams. The model has a small compartment for accessories and a box for cut fabrics. The design is compact, but a little noisy according to reviews.
- neat seams;
- there are all the necessary sewing operations;
- easy to customize.
- a little noisy;
- according to reviews, the light from the lamp is too dim.
The best professional overlocks
BabyLock Ovation BLES8
A worthy place in the ranking is occupied by the BabyLock Ovation BLES8 model. The overlocker has the ability to sew from 2 to 5 threads. On such a device, you can not only overwrap, but also embroider various decorations on fabrics. The maximum number of stitches per minute is 1500. There is a thread former and differential feed. Reviews also note the convenience of the system of synchronous cutting and fabric advancement at the same time. But the biggest advantage of the model is the ability to thread the loopers with air. This function greatly facilitates the work of the craftswoman and saves her time.
In addition, the BabyLock Ovation BLES8 can be easily switched from overlock to sewing machine and vice versa. According to reviews, the design has a comfortable body and is equipped with good lighting.
- high-quality wrapping;
- can be tucked in 5 threads;
- advanced functionality;
- air threading into loopers.
- high price.
A real assistant for those who sew a lot to order. The overlocker can perform up to 24 sewing operations, the number of threads, for threading 2, 3, 4 and 5. This makes it possible to make a variety of seams and decorate products. The overlock is perfect for rolled seams, chainstitch and flatlock. The maximum number of stitches per minute is 1500. In this case, the model refers to energy-saving, consuming only 90 watts.
The design provides for automatic threading of the looper, differential feed and a thread former. There is a possibility to control the thread tension, but manually. Although, many users consider it more reliable than automation. Any fabric is suitable and it is easy to reconfigure the overlock from a thick type of fabric to a thin one and vice versa.
- high-quality factory seams;
- there is a display;
- does not consume a lot of electricity;
- five-thread seam.
- reviews note the difficulty of opening the tool compartment;
- the cost, although, is fully justified by the capabilities of the device.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.