Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
A laptop for work can be a simple 'typewriter' or a full-fledged mobile station with a powerful processor and even a discrete graphics card. Choosing the right device is based on your needs and the specifics of your activity.
- Ranking of the best laptops for work
- How to choose a laptop for work – what to look for
- The best budget laptops for work
- Acer Extensa EX2511G
- Lenovo IdeaPad E10
- Dell Inspiron 3542
- Rating of the best laptops for work in terms of price-performance ratio
- HP 250 G5 (Z2Z63ES)
- DELL Vostro 5468
- DELL INSPIRON 5567
- Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 ”
- ASUS X554LJ
- Lenovo G510 (Core i7 4700MQ 2400 Mhz)
- The best laptops for premium performance
- Apple MacBook Pro 13 with Retina display Early 2015
- Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
- Which laptop to choose from
- Which laptop to buy for work
Ranking of the best laptops for work
|nomination||a place||Name of product||starting price|
|The best budget laptops for work||1||Acer Extensa EX2511G||RUB 23,000|
|2||Lenovo IdeaPad E10||18 100 RUB.|
|3||Dell Inspiron 3542||24,000 RUB.|
|Best laptops for work in terms of value for money||1||HP 250 G5 (Z2Z63ES)||19 900 RUB.|
|2||DELL Vostro 5468||27,000 RUB.|
|3||DELL INSPIRON 5567||26,000 RUB.|
|4||Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 ”||48,000 RUB.|
|5||ASUS X554LJ||25,000 RUB.|
|6||Lenovo G510||18 900 RUB.|
|The best laptops for premium performance||1||Apple MacBook Pro 13 with Retina display Early 2015||84500 RUB.|
|2||Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook||92,000 RUB.|
How to choose a laptop for work – what to look for
The main technical characteristics that are recommended to pay attention to when choosing a laptop for work are:
- Processor performance. This parameter determines the overall speed of the laptop. If you just need a 'typewriter', then you can ignore the performance of the processor. But if you need a laptop for mobile graphics processing, editing large documents (including PDF) or programming, it is desirable that it be equipped with a powerful processor. For example, series Intel Core i5 or i7;
- Generation of the processor. This parameter determines both the overall performance and power consumption of the laptop. The 'fresher' the processor, the faster the computer will work, while at the same time it heats up less and provides greater autonomy. It is desirable that the chip is one of the latest generations;
- The amount of RAM. Another parameter that determines the performance of a laptop. The more RAM, the better the computer works in multitasking mode. For example, with several open tabs in the browser or running applications. The minimum required RAM for Windows 10 is 2 GB. But with that much RAM, the computer will turn into a 'typewriter'. For better performance, take a laptop with 4 GB or more of RAM;
- Hard disk type. If you plan to work in a 'ragged' mode (the laptop will often have to be put to sleep and 'wake up'), then it is recommended to purchase a computer with an SSD or eMMC. In addition, these types of drives provide fast file read and write speeds. However, they are expensive. HDD – cheaper, but also slower, and working in a 'torn' mode can lead to premature wear of the drive;
- Hard disk space. The higher this parameter, the more files you can write to the internal storage and the more programs you can install. The minimum required volume is 32 GB. This is enough for the operating system and, for example, the office suite Microsoft Office 365. You will need 128 GB or more to store files;
- The presence of a discrete video card. This setting determines the performance of your laptop when working with graphics, be it image editing, video editing or rendering of 3D models. If a discrete graphics card is available, all these operations will be faster than without it.
- In addition, you can pay attention to other characteristics depending on personal needs: battery life, screen diagonal and resolution, the presence of a touch screen, etc.
The best budget laptops for work
Acer Extensa EX2511G
Despite the relatively low cost, this laptop is equipped with a discrete NVIDIA graphics card. Therefore, it provides high performance even with a fairly serious load on the graphics accelerator – for example, when rendering simple videos or 3D models.
In addition, it is complemented by a large hard drive – 500 GB in the minimum configuration and 1 TB in the maximum.
As a result, it turns out to be a good 'work machine' for general, non-specialized tasks.
- Discrete graphics card;
- Processors of the series Intel Core i3 and higher;
- Large hard drive;
- Unattractive design;
- The complexity of the upgrade;
- Short battery life;
- Large, massive plastic case;
Lenovo IdeaPad E10
Ultraportable laptop with a small 10-inch screen, a proprietary comfortable keyboard Lenovo AccuType and a battery that is quite good for the dimensions of the device. However, for the reduction in size had to 'pay' for performance. This laptop is suitable only for typing and simple web surfing.
- Very small and lightweight – 1.1 kg;
- Up to 3 hours of battery life even under heavy load and at maximum screen brightness.
- Convenient keyboard;
- Large hard drive;
- Low performance (Celeron + 2 GB of RAM);
- There are very few ports for connecting peripheral equipment.
Dell Inspiron 3542
Great laptop for use in a small office. A variety of configurations will allow you to choose a 'typewriter' for employees of a wide variety of positions – from office manager to IT specialist or designer. The line includes both very simple and ultra-budget models, the performance of which will be enough only for Microsoft Office and a browser; and very powerful, capable of 'pulling' a graphics editor or development environment.
The laptop is equipped with a 15.6-inch screen. This is almost a standard diagonal for mobile computers.
In addition, the manufacturer offers the necessary drivers for third-party operating systems such as Linux or even DOS.
- Compatible with open operating systems;
- Quiet fan;
- Robust, reliable housing;
- Variety of configurations;
- Slow hard drive on most configurations
- Inconvenient touchpad;
- Limited upgrade options (it is impossible to install more than 8 GB of RAM);
- The complexity of the upgrade and maintenance;
Rating of the best laptops for work in terms of price-performance ratio
HP 250 G5 (Z2Z63ES)
A productive work laptop for professionals of various profiles. Suitable for the development of simple drawings, and for writing programs, and for other purposes. In the current configuration at the beginning of 2018, it is equipped with a processor Intel Core i5 of the latest generation (productive, but at the same time quite economical and weakly heating); 8 GB of RAM and a 15.6-inch Full HD screen.
However, in this configuration, it is not equipped with a discrete graphics card. Therefore, graphics processing performance (such as editing complex images or rendering long layered video) can be very slow. So this laptop is not suitable for designers and similar professionals.
- High overall performance;
- SSD drive for faster performance;
- Availability of TPM, recovery mode and other functions useful for corporate users;
- Screen – TN-matrix with not very good color rendering and comparatively small viewing angles;
- Not very comfortable touchpad;
- Flimsy, easily soiled body;
DELL Vostro 5468
A relatively compact but powerful workhorse. The laptop is equipped with a 14-inch screen in various resolutions up to Full HD, processors Intel Core i3 or i5 depending on the configuration, from 4 to 8 GB of RAM, and an internal SSD or HDD up to 1 TB.
The variety of configurations allows you to unify your corporate identity and equip the entire office with the same laptops – but at the same time with different technical characteristics. In the minimum version it is a 'multifunctional typewriter', in the maximum it is already a full-fledged mobile workstation that will satisfy even technical or creative professionals.
- Various configurations;
- Backlit keyboard;
- Very lightweight – only 1.5 kg;
- There are high performance versions with SSD and discrete graphics;
- TN-matrix – with not the best color rendering and small viewing angles;
- Noisy hard drive in appropriate configurations;
- Low-performance cooling system;
DELL INSPIRON 5567
Another versatile workhorse. Unlike the previous laptop, this one is equipped with a 15.6-inch screen with a resolution Full HD in all configurations. Depending on the modification, it runs on Intel Core processors from i3 to i7, which are complemented by 4 to 8 GB of RAM. In the overwhelming majority of configurations – a discrete video card, however, from AMD. However, the cooling system is efficient, which ensures good heat dissipation from the components.
Regardless of the configuration, this laptop will suit all types of office professionals, except for people working with graphics. Powerful components, high-quality screen and comfortable enough keyboard make it a good solution for secretaries and IT workers.
- Diverse yet consistently powerful configurations
- Good cooling system;
- Support for operating systems other than Windows;
- Some modifications are equipped with an SSD drive for high performance;
- Low-performance HDD in configurations with this type of hard drive;
- Marked glossy body;
- Lack of LED indicators;
- TN screen – not the best color reproduction, small viewing angles;
Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 13.3 ”
Slim, lightweight and highly portable ultrabook. Despite its small size, the device is equipped with highly productive components – top-end processors of the latest generation, SSD-drives from Samsung, up to 16 GB of RAM, etc. In addition, the laptop is made in a stylish metal case with a matte finish and the complete absence of any logos, and is similar in size to the average magazine.
Other advantages include an excellent display, which is made using TFT IPS technology with excellent color reproduction and a touch surface, as well as complemented by very thin bezels; keyboard backlight and up to 10 hours of battery life.
- Attractive design;
- Powerful specifications at an attractive price.
- The notebook is targeted at the Chinese market. And therefore, some firmware is not localized, including driver programs, and Windows may be shipped in an inactivated state;
- The laptop is equipped with a Li-pol battery that can wear out due to high electricity consumption.
Versatile 15.6 '' laptop with high-end discrete graphics. Regardless of the specific configuration, the graphics accelerator NVIDIA GeForce 920M is installed in the computer. Of course, its performance is not enough for games – but it is enough for processing large and complex images, multi-layered videos, 3D models, CAD drawings and similar content.
Another important advantage is that in the top configuration, this laptop is equipped with a 2 TB hard drive. This space is enough, for example, to store a complete 1C database or a whole collection of highly detailed three-dimensional models.
- Powerful graphics accelerator;
- Powerful but quiet cooling system;
- High-speed performance;
- Large hard drive;
- Lack of configuration with Intel Core i7;
- Small amount of RAM. However, you can install more RAM on your own to increase performance;
- Screen fades under direct light;
- Not the most recent processors (5th generation maximum);
Lenovo G510 (Core i7 4700MQ 2400 Mhz)
A versatile 15.6 '' laptop. Well suited for calculations (programming, 1C management, technical support, other IT-areas), and for working with graphics. Equipped with a not very productive, but energy efficient discrete AMD Radeon HD 8750M graphics card.
The device is focused primarily on the corporate and IT segment. Therefore, it is equipped with many practical functions for business users, including TPM, system recovery mode, etc.
- High performance thanks to Intel Core i7 processor;
- Proprietary keyboard Lenovo AccuType;
- Large hard drive;
- Quiet yet efficient cooling system;
- Small screen resolution (1366 × 768 pixels with a diagonal of 15.6 inches);
- Plastic, relatively flimsy body;
- Relatively slow hard drive (5400 rpm);
The best laptops for premium performance
Apple MacBook Pro 13 with Retina display Early 2015
This is a MacBook – and, in principle, that says it all. Excellent display quality that will be appreciated by graphic designers, photographers and videographers. Comfortable backlit keyboard. Long battery life – the manufacturer claims 10 hours, but in fact it is slightly less.
What's more, it's a classic MacBook Pro. Without the Touch Bar, with all the necessary connectors and a luminous “apple” on the lid – if, of course, it is necessary. In addition, Apple continues to support it, thanks to which the laptop will receive the latest versions of the proprietary operating system Mac OS.
- High overall performance;
- Complete set of required connectors;
- Excellent screen and keyboard quality;
- Noise at high loads;
- On some samples, the assembly is not of a very high quality (the glossy coating of the screen peels off, two battery cells are not glued);
- The complexity of the upgrade;
- Operating system Mac OS (requires getting used to after switching from Windows, not all familiar applications are available);
Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
13-inch Windows – Ultrabook, flagship. Updated every year and revisions get the most top-of-the-line hardware. Therefore, the performance of this ultrabook is at a high level – even though some configurations lack a discrete graphics card.
In recent versions, the developers have also focused on User Experience. The screen has been updated – now it is equipped with very, very thin frames, which the manufacturer himself calls the Infinity Edge; improved keyboard – there is a backlight that does not hit the eyes; increased size of the touchpad.
Therefore, the Dell XPS 13 is not only a productive, but also a stylish ultrabook for business.
- Configurable with 4K IPS display
- Up to 6 hours of battery life;
- The fingerprint scanner;
- Hybrid design with stylus support
- Attractive design;
- Lack of USB Type-A in the latest models;
- Noticeable heating at high loads;
- Non-standard scaling Windows at 4K resolution;
Which laptop to choose from
The following mobile computer manufacturers are credible:
- Acer, Asus – Asian companies that specialize in devices of the middle and budget price segment. Although the top models are also represented – albeit in the game series. 'Work' laptops from these manufacturers are recommended for a limited budget;
- Lenovo is a Chinese company that produces budget, mid-range and flagship laptops. Therefore, in her lineup there are both successful and rather mediocre models. It is worth choosing prudently, according to reviews – and preferably personally;
- Dell, HP are American workhorse makers. In their laptops, both software and hardware components are focused on the corporate segment, which guarantees high performance and data security. The disadvantage is the relative high cost;
- Xiaomi on the laptop market recently, and they have 4 models of mobile computers. But these are portable ultrabooks with high performance, which is enough for solving complex tasks;
- Apple is releasing truly working ultrabooks. Powerful, productive, functional, with a balanced operating system. However expensive. But if you need a full-fledged mobile workstation, especially for a designer, programmer or IT professional, then the Apple MacBook is the perfect solution.
Which laptop to buy for work
- When choosing a laptop for work, you should first of all pay attention to the field of activity. If it is related to graphics processing, video processing, 3D modeling or CAD design, it is advisable to pay attention to models with a discrete graphics accelerator. Otherwise, almost any will do. Plus, for designers, the Apple MacBook Pro is a good choice due to its superior display quality.
- If you need an ultrabook – a thin, light, yet powerful laptop – consider the Dell XPS 13 and Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air models. The second is about half the price of the first, but both devices belong to the 'executive class'.
- For professionals working in the office, IT-development or similar fields, laptops of the middle price segment from HP, Dell or Lenovo are suitable. But for employees who do not need a high-performance computer, a budget device will suffice.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.