Road bikes are designed for racing on flat, paved tracks or roads. There are models that also move well over rough terrain. Road bikes are chosen by people with considerable riding experience and confidently sitting on their iron horse. Most often purchased for training, preparation for competitions. Expensive products, the price of which starts from 300-500 thousand rubles, are bought for professionals participating in various races. Highways are sharpened for high-speed driving, therefore they have a lightweight frame, steering wheel, wheels, which is why the total weight is usually no more than 5-9 kg. Less friction between the tires and the road surface is provided by thin tires pumped to 8 atmospheres.
Making the mistake of choosing a road bike is an unacceptable luxury. The cost of even the simplest models is about 20-50 thousand rubles. In order not to waste such a lot of money, read the article to the end. In it we will talk about how to choose a bike, what characteristics to pay attention to. The experts have also prepared a ranking of the 8 best road bikes from renowned manufacturers.
- How to choose a road bike
- Ranking of the best road bikes
- BMC Roadmachine RM01 Ultegra DI2 Sunrise
- Giant defy advanced 2
- Merida Scultura 5000
- Giant TCX SLR 2
- Giant defy 2 disc
- Cube hyde
- Merida Cyclo Cross 400 (2018)
- Forward Impulse 1.0 (2018)
How to choose a road bike
- Rostovka (size). This is the first thing to start with the choice. Special calculators that calculate the ratio between frame size and height can be found on the official websites of manufacturers. But do not forget that the data obtained will be approximate, because frames from different companies do not have a single dimensional standard. That is why you need to try on a bike before buying. To do this, while holding the bike, stand above the frame so that it is located between your legs. The optimal distance from the groin to the frame is 10 cm, and the minimum is 6 cm. We advise you to sit on several models that you like and are suitable for growth, and then choose the one that was most comfortable from them. Don't forget the adjustment possibilities are great. The height of the seatpost and saddle as well as the handlebars are easily adjusted individually.
- Frame material. The ride quality depends on the frame. Modern models have frames made of steel, aluminum or carbon (carbon fiber). Steel are the least popular, despite their high strength, since they are heavy. They are completed with road bikes of the initial price segment. The exceptions include some steel frames from manufacturers such as Colnago, Columbus, Reynolds, which are distinguished by premium quality, comparable in quality and price to carbon ones. Aluminum is stiffer and lighter than steel, but inferior in strength, therefore, has a shorter service life. Found on inexpensive models. The best are aluminum frames with butted pipes (different thicknesses in different sections of the pipe). This ensures a more comfortable ride. Carbon is an innovation in road bike manufacturing. People who are far from the topic believe that the popularity of the material is due to its low weight, but this is absolutely not the case. Carbon frames are sometimes even heavier than steel and aluminum. Plus in the ability to adjust the stiffness, which allows the frame to be both stiff and springy, depending on the direction. The prices for models with such frames are high, as the process of making such road bikes is more complicated than using other materials.
- Frame design. There are two types: for time-trial races (including triathlon) and group races. The first (Time Trial) are less maneuverable, heavy and have more rigidity. They also differ in attachments. Suitable for experienced cyclists who are good at handling this type of bike. For beginners, consider purchasing a group road bike to get used to the ride. Before going to the store, we advise you to look at the manufacturer's website, see the frame geometry and study the main parameters.
- Wheels. Wheels are divided into two main groups: tubular and clincher. The latter have sides, tires and cameras inside. The former are characterized by the absence of sides. The round tube, which in cross-section combines the tube and the tire, is fixed to the rim with a special glue. The design features are smooth running and high pressure retention. When punctured, replacing the tube is more difficult than that of a clincher, and the cost of such wheels is much higher. For these reasons, tubulars are used in professional races, where there is technical support, which allows you to quickly replace a damaged wheel with a spare. The profile is low, medium, high and aerodynamic (rim height from 4 to 8 cm). The latter are used in races (time trial, group, triathlon), so the average user who wants to ride at high speed on city roads should pay attention to the other three options. For people intending to train seriously, we recommend purchasing an extra pair of wheels. On prefabricated factory road bikes, the wheels are usually entry-level or intermediate-level.
- Tires. Clinchers are 2-2.3 cm wide and maintain a pressure of 6-10 atmospheres. Lightweight high-quality rubber on wheels wears out quickly, and therefore is mainly used for racing competitions. Clinchers are denser, heavier and tougher, on the contrary, they will last much longer.
- Star system. The chain is put on the front system, where the stars are of different sizes. For beginners, compact ones with two stars of 50 and 34 teeth are suitable. Such a system makes it easier to overcome inclines. Double and standard with large chainrings of 39 and 53 teeth are popular with riders as they allow them to reach high speeds.
- Handlebar and saddle. They should provide a comfortable fit for the cyclist. Adjust the saddle so that the leg is almost straight in the down position and the body is sitting optimally (about 90 degrees). The handlebar should be approximately the same as the shoulder width
- Power sensor. There are three types: PowerTap is built into the rear wheel hub and can be easily rearranged from one bike to another, but it has a considerable weight – 500 grams. and tied to one wheel. Look Keo + Polar is located in the pedals, but only tied to Polar watches. If the cyclist has others, the readings will not be taken. The CRM is located in the pedal hub and is not tied to one wheel, but it is difficult to move from one bike to another. Remember, any PowerMeter adds a thousand dollars to the cost of a road bike.
Ranking of the best road bikes
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Ranking of the best road bikes||1||BMC Roadmachine RM01 Ultegra DI2 Sunrise||RUB 385,000|
|2||Giant defy advanced 2||RUB 152,900|
|3||Merida Scultura 5000||RUB 299,000|
|4||Giant TCX SLR 2||RUB 73,700|
|5||Giant defy 2 disc||RUB 57,400|
|6||Cube hyde||RUB 47,500|
|7||Merida Cyclo Cross 400 (2018)||RUB 72 800|
|8||Forward Impulse 1.0 (2018)||RUB 20 850|
BMC Roadmachine RM01 Ultegra DI2 Sunrise
The leader of the rating is the professional road bike with the perfect balance of comfort and rigidity. The newest road bike is packed with the most innovative technologies. Hidden inside the frame is high speed wiring. Looking at this product, you don't understand whether there is a road bike in front of you or an off-road bike. The carbon frame has a geometry that allows you to take a landing and reduce air resistance, which will be reflected in an increase in speed. The bike is suitable only for smooth asphalt roads. Hydraulic disc brakes guarantee a stop even in the most difficult weather conditions. The seat post provides flexibility and rigidity at the same time.
- Ultegra Di2 series equipment;
- integrated fork; wide
- ina tires – 3 cm;
- saving energy when driving uphill;
- vibration damping pin.
- high cost – 385 thousand rubles
Giant defy advanced 2
The second line is occupied by the road bike of the Taiwanese brand, the largest company Giant. This year's road bike is advanced. The rigid, powerful fork provides reliable stability, and the rear derailleur increases the bike's capabilities. The product is equipped with sports-oriented hydraulic disc brakes. They work even in bad weather, regardless of whether the road is wet or not. Branded tires, standing on wheels, allow the rider to accelerate quickly, developing high speed, especially on a flat road surface. The road bike has a carbon fiber frame, fork and seatpost. The pin perfectly dampens shock and vibration, so the ride becomes soft and comfortable. A bike suitable for beginners and experienced riders.
- semi-professional equipment;
- frame of our own production;
- easy handling;
- integrated carriage.
- high cost – 131500 p.
Merida Scultura 5000
The third position goes to the road bike from this year's lineup. The German-made bike has a reliable carbon fork. To achieve a low weight, the designers have developed a unique streamlined frame made of the same carbon fiber, which improves aerodynamics. The tires, like all premium road bikes, are fitted with large 28-inch wheels. With their help, the cyclist can reach high speeds without losing stability. The drive with twenty-two speeds spins them up in a moment. The road bike is equipped with classic v-brakes. According to user reviews, they are quite enough for a quick stop. However, on the wet road the efficiency is noticeably reduced.
- weight – 8 kg;
- Shimano switches
- wheel diameter – 28 inches;
- rides well both on flat city and country roads.
- high cost – 93 thousand rubles.
Giant TCX SLR 2
The fourth is a road bike, which belongs to cyclocross. The dynamism and capabilities of the model will amaze any lover of fast driving. The aluminum frame is optimal and allows you to cycle many hours every day. The saddle is specially designed for sports riding at high speeds. The bike has a hydraulic disc brake system, which is reliable. The rigid carbon fork guarantees the rider excellent handling, and the wide tires provide easy acceleration on the smooth asphalt road. The carbon fiber seatpost, according to users, provides a soft, vibration-free ride. The tubes are specially designed for competition, they do not have sharp edges to make it easier to carry the bike on the shoulder.
- wheel diameter – 28 inches;
- semi-professional equipment;
- Shimano 105 derailleur;
- the ability to install a trunk;
- suitable for driving on any road surface.
- high cost – 117 thousand rubles
Giant defy 2 disc
In fifth place is an obedient, responsive, fast and light road bike. The model is ideal for covering huge distances. The lightweight butted aluminum frame of the AluxX SL has disc brake mounts. The bike is designed for high-speed rides, so it has a specially designed sport saddle for added comfort on long journeys. The road bike has mechanical disc brakes for quick stopping. The aluminum road platform has received many rave reviews. The bike has won numerous awards, was named the best in several parameters, and also received the 'Bike of the Year' award.
- wheel diameter – 28 inches;
- excellent ride quality;
- professional level of equipment;
- Shimano Tiagra derailleur;
- improved rigidity and handling.
- relatively expensive – 58 thousand rubles.
The sixth line goes to a road bike with a semi-professional level of equipment. Designed for daily training on flat roads as there is no shock absorption. Has Shimano drive Acer a. The saddle is sporty and the handlebars are straight. The frame is made of durable yet lightweight aluminum and is stable. The road bike is equipped with a hydraulic disc brake system, which provides a quick stop, even on wet road surfaces. The rims of the bike are decorated with thick ribbed tires.
- wheel diameter – 29 inches;
- 27 speeds;
- 9 stars in the cassette;
- double rim;
- Shimano Deore derailleur;
- rigid fork design.
- relatively expensive – 48 thousand rubles.
Merida Cyclo Cross 400 (2018)
The seventh position goes to the cyclocross model, on which the rider can ride at high speed both on an ideal paved road and on rough terrain. On the bike, the mud clearances of the fork and frame of relatively wide rubber with a pronounced tread are increased. Reliable mechanical disc brakes will quickly stop the iron horse even on wet surfaces. Such a road bike is suitable for athletes who include movement not only on flat terrain, but also on the ground, as well as light off-road. Unlike classic road bikes, models such as the Merida Cyclo Cross 400 are better adapted for riding on poor road surfaces thanks to the reinforced structure and wide tires.
- weight – 9.78 kg;
- wheel diameter – 28 inches;
- aluminum frame with internal wiring;
- rigid carbon fork;
- 22 speeds;
- Shimano 105 derailleur.
- relatively expensive – 73 thousand rubles.
Forward Impulse 1.0 (2018)
The rating is closed by an inexpensive Russian-made road bike, which has good performance. Equipped with a lightweight aluminum frame, which provides responsive control of the bike. The saddle has a sporty design and is ideal for riding at high speeds, allowing the rider to feel comfortable. The wheels are equipped with tires, with the help of which the bike can easily accelerate on a flat road surface. Mechanical caliper brakes provide control of the ride, but are not as effective on wet and slippery roads as on dry ones. A holder for a flask and a pump can be attached to the frame if necessary.
- Shimano Tourney switches;
- rigid fork design;
- 14 speeds;
- semi-integrated steering column;
- acceptable cost – 20 thousand rubles.
- not found.