Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Stamped discs are basic for off-assembly vehicles. They are solid metal products obtained as a result of pressure treatment on special dies. They bribe users mainly due to the factor of the lowest price in the segment (in relation to cast and forged wheels), as well as the possibility of straightening when dents appear or welding of formed cracks.
Despite its plainness, stamped discs are actively sold on the market, and therefore the competitive field among manufacturing companies has reached incredible proportions. To cope with such sweat of the goods produced by them, the ordinary consumer becomes beyond the power. Therefore, after conducting a thorough research within the segment, the editors of the magazine selected nine of the best companies engaged in the manufacture of inexpensive and, most importantly, high-quality stamped discs. One of the key criteria for selecting nominees for the rating was the reviews of tens of thousands of consumers, as well as experienced opinions of staff experts.
- How to choose stamped discs
- Which wheels are better: cast or stamped?
- Rating of the best manufacturers of stamped discs
How to choose stamped discs
At the current stage of the development of the auto parts market and specialized sales sites, the selection of stamped discs is not a big problem – a product that suits your needs and preferences is easy to determine through special search forms by parameters. However, if the choice is made independently and directly in the store, we recommend taking into account six main points:
- Landing diameter. A value indicating the outside diameter of a stamped disc in inches (for example, R15). An obvious enough parameter for a choice that should be given special attention. The permissible rim diameters are always prescribed in the vehicle operating manual and indicated on the stickers located in the doorways (in conjunction with the recommended tire pressure level). We strongly advise you to comply with the prescribed rules, since in case of violations of compatibility, the car may not pass the scheduled inspection.
- The number and circumference of the mounting holes. A criterion with a very long name and a large role in the installation of discs. The number of fixing bolts directly depends on the weight of the product, and can vary from 3 to 7-8. In standard practice (most of all) discs for 4-6 bolts are used, but with the diameter of the circle of the holes, everything is much more confusing. On serial VAZ cars, for example, (with the exception of Oka and Niva), the diameter is 98 millimeters. We recommend that you adhere to all prescribed dimensions exactly in order to avoid poor fixation of the wheel on the hub or the occurrence of runout when driving.
- Disc width. Simple, and at the same time, no less important parameter than the landing diameter. It is marked with the Latin letter 'J' and is similar to the diameter indicated in the technical instruction. The width of the rim is dimensionally consistent with the range of tires, but is not rigid, since it allows the presence of a small error.
- Departure of the disk. Parameter influencing the perception of forces in wheel bearings and suspension performance. It is the distance from the plane of the hub connection to the middle of the wheel in width. With the wrong selection of the stamped disc for the overhang, it is possible to provoke a situation of rapid wear of the running gear parts, and, to a greater extent, the depletion of the hub bearing life.
- Hub bore diameter. It is designated in the documentation by the letters 'D', 'Dia' or 'DIA', and is, perhaps, the most important criterion for selecting a disk. Everything is simple here: with a deliberately smaller diameter of the central hole, the wheel simply will not snap into place, and with its large dimensions, precise alignment with the setting of special rings is required during installation.
- Fasteners. The question of choice for this parameter is related to the type and shape of fasteners that will fix the disc on the hub. In the case of stamped discs, the role of such is most often played by bolts with a conical shape of the adjacent plane and a reduced length of the threaded part. This is due to the small thickness of the punching compared to casting. Sometimes on the market you can find discs for bolts with a hemispherical and flat base, but these types are still very rare.
Which wheels are better: cast or stamped?
+ Low weight and, as a result, more economical fuel consumption
+ Best overclocking performance
+ Facilitation of the process of driving
+ Reduced braking distance due to lightweight design
+ Better balance provided during production
+ High degree of durability
– Unrepairable: a strong and sharp blow can destroy the disc
– The cost is much higher than stamped models
– Obviously low perceived weight (not designed for installation on trucks and vans).
+ Repairable due to the increased plasticity of stamping: dents can be straightened and straightened, cracks can be cut and welded
+ They have a high carrying capacity, so they can be installed on vehicles of any purpose (trucks, buses, etc.)
+ Low cost compared to alloy wheels
– Low attractiveness of appearance (corrected by setting decorative caps with fastening on clamps or cable ties)
– Obviously larger than that of alloy wheels, weight: as a result, increased fuel consumption and less 'obedient' handling
– Poor balancing
– Slight increase in stopping distance
– The disc metal can corrode in places where the protective layer comes off (enamel, galvanized)
Rating of the best manufacturers of stamped discs
|Rating of the best manufacturers of stamped discs||1||KFZ||4.9|
The first line of the rating by right of the strong goes to the largest European holding KFZ with production bases in Germany, Switzerland, Spain and even Brazil. The specificity of this company lies in the constant exchange of experience and technology with other firms, as well as in the parallel launch of its own research laboratories. At the same time, it does not pursue the goal of providing users with a visually reference product, while proactively working to increase strength indicators for the benefit of consumers.
KFZ's recent advancements include a 15% reduction in disc weight without sacrificing performance. All this became possible thanks to the competent study of the profile, and was reflected in fuel economy, increased controllability and flexibility of the car, as well as in reducing the load on the chassis parts. The experts were sincerely pleased with the number of different wheel samples: 36 factories around the world produce more than 500 models. All this, coupled with low prices, makes the international holding one of the most attractive for consumers, so the choice in favor of such leadership was more than obvious.
- more than 36 production sites located around the world;
- constant work to improve the performance of new model lines, carried out in personal research facilities;
- support for active market growth by exchanging experience with other companies;
- very high nominal product quality;
- adequate prices;
- significant reduction in weight of models relative to competitors – improved handling and reduced fuel consumption.
- not found.
An important difference between Merfo and Kronprinz is attention to detail and focus on occupying as many niches as possible in the production of stamped wheels for transport equipment. It is for these reasons that the 'global' manufacturer (the company's factories are really scattered around the world) takes a leading place in the ranking of the best. Among its products you can find stamping for tractors, trucks, motorcycles, trailers and, in fact, for cars with SUVs.
Like the rest of the leadership caste, Merfo is often faced with the problem of counterfeiting at retail, thus causing consumer resentment. In their original form, their disks are able to withstand colossal shock loads, have a positive effect on fuel consumption and controllability, and also serve faithfully for 5-7 years (guaranteed). In addition, many experts recognize their protective coating as a reference – it does not lose its properties after prolonged contact with aggressive road chemicals and withstands serious shearing loads. An excellent product that justifies all the money put on it.
- The optimum ratio of price and quality;
- reference protective layer of the base metal;
- high strength characteristics and resistance to strong mechanical shock;
- durability and wear resistance;
- an agreement on deliveries to conveyors of many European and American concerns.
- the presence of fakes on the market.
It's hard to believe, but the history of the German company Kronprinz has more than 110 years of successful existence, albeit in various production roles. Nevertheless, now it is entirely focused on the production of stamped wheels for cars, and in completely different sizes: from R14 to R20.
A subtle sense of technological progress, which is the company's business card, allows for systematic and timely modernization of production, following the trend of constant improvement of the offered product. It turns out great: the disks are gradually getting rid of chronic vulnerabilities, adding in resistance to wear and tear and durability. In particular, in the past few years, Kronprinz has been addressing the issue of poor shear resistance of products, which not only disabled the discs themselves, but also adversely affected the details of the chassis. The problem was resolved by changing the shape and thickness of a number of small areas, which had a positive effect and pushed the sales bar to new heights.
- willing work on mistakes;
- an abundance of models of stamped disks in the range;
- good metal protection by overlapping – high wear resistance;
- compliance of products with international quality standards.
- at the moment – not available.
The four best manufacturers of stamped disks were made by the German company Dotz, whose trademark is the excellent design of its products. Indeed, in some cases, users should not even think about changing the stamping to casting – the disc here has decorative overlays, as well as technologically complex elements that are unattainable in the production of other companies.
Of course, you have to pay for everything. Often, the beauty of a chrome-plated or enamelled surface hides behind itself low strength properties, due to which the disc deforms when applied obviously lower loads than those of competitors. True, such nuances took place until recently. Pedantic by nature, the Germans have tightened enterprise standards and introduced careful operational control with the regulation of key parameters affecting driving comfort and performance. The results exceeded expectations, which naturally resulted in a wave of positive reactions from European and Russian users.
- emphasis on the visual component of the discs – complex transitions, profile bends, the presence of decorative overlays;
- reasonable price for the entire product line;
- high quality and level of refinement at all stages of production;
- awesome recommendations from experts and users.
- at this stage – not identified.
Togliatti Steel Wheels Plant is the official and permanent supplier of stamped disks for the conveyor lines of PJSC AvtoVAZ, located in the same city. It is the largest and most well-to-do company among all the considered domestic manufacturers, which has its own research laboratory and direct access to the markets of Europe and Asia (through the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance).
Thanks to the high-quality equipment of the production, TZSK from year to year modernizes its products, improving either the components of painting and processing, then the welding methods, then 'playing' with heat treatment to increase the strength indicators. Thus, among the advantages of the company's products, both consumers and experts include a large selection of models, safety, excellent quality and, which is important, affordable prices. And, in view of the colossal experience of production, it becomes much easier to believe in all this.
- title supplier of stamped disks for conveyors of AvtoVAZ, Renault, Nissan, etc .;
- having its own research department;
- constant work to improve performance;
- high popularity among consumers.
- a small number of low-quality retail counterfeits.
The company with a promising name is another native of the Russian market, operating within the most budgetary segment of stamped discs. However, the quality of the products produced here is surprisingly acceptable, since the technical equipment of the enterprise includes entirely foreign equipment (Turkey, Germany, France and the Netherlands). In turn, the raw materials for the products are supplied from the Severstal metallurgical plant, which also has a positive effect on the final cost.
Having no special plans for the production of a strictly defined standard size of disks, Eurodisk is trying to satisfy the needs of a wide range of consumers, steadily 'throwing out' stamping R14-R16 on the market (a little less often and in a smaller volume – R17). And, in general, everyone likes it: for someone due to a good protective metal overlap, someone for withstanding shock loads. One way or another, the Russian company managed to please domestic car owners, and therefore the next step is to establish sustainable lines of international sales.
- the lowest price for manufactured products;
- orientation of production to classical methods of obtaining a product (without the principles of strict postoperative control);
- satisfactory parameters of strength and quality of metal processing;
- an abundance of models of stamped disks in the company's line.
- not detected.
Quite an interesting brand, the origins of which can be found on the territory of (quite unexpectedly) Uzbekistan, although all production has long been relocated to China. It is one of the leading players in the domestic market for stamped discs without claims to superiority in terms of visual design and used production technologies.
An adherent of the classic production scheme, Asterro maintains high quality standards in terms of strength parameters, thereby minimizing the risks of breaking steel discs during strong impacts or exposure to a number of negative factors (cold, road reagents, mechanical stress). According to consumer reviews, the stamping of an Uzbek company weighs even less than a number of analogs, thereby being more manageable and economical. This is especially appreciated by those meticulous about comfort and safety, and it is for this that we award Asterro the seventh line of the rating.
- increased controllability and efficiency;
- good quality of protective metal overlap;
- high strength properties of welded seams;
- low price for the entire range of products.
- reduced (relative to competitors) values of durability due to the lightweight construction.
A company with very confused 'roots' of origin, headquartered in China. It is one of the most favorite manufacturers among Russian car owners, since it supplies the market with extremely cheap and visually very interesting products. Just like the YST, Trebl uses on-line QC technology with a focus on balance and radial runout of the discs as they accelerate.
Despite its Chinese origin (and roots going back to Japan), this company has long established itself as a reliable supplier of stamping for conveyors of world manufacturers. Trebl disks go to the conveyors of General Motors, Ford and partially to the assembly lines of budget sedans from Volkswagen. Their main advantages also include the excellent condition of the protective coating (enamel, galvanized) and good crush resistance – this is a reliable product that can serve faithfully for 4-5 years.
- low price for the entire product line;
- interesting visual solutions (painting + stamp execution);
- resistant coating that provides protection against aggressive environmental influences;
- trust from global car manufacturers.
- for its price category – not identified.
The youngest company on the list, which has already managed to grab more than 7% of the Russian domestic market from competitors. The main YST plant is located in the city of Yaroslavl, but the production base is made up of purely foreign equipment (imported mainly from the USA, Italy and Germany). Stamped discs are produced here in the most popular standard sizes (from R13 to R17), trying to cover the widest possible range of cars used in Russia.
In terms of quality, YST has also moved several points forward, in particular due to the well-implemented policy of operational control. Other technologically advanced developments are gradually being introduced, which allow the company to impose competition on the largest companies in Europe. At the present stage of its existence, only one small nuance can be distinguished: domestic consumers have not yet had time to 'taste' the new product properly, so there are not too many evaluations from them yet. For this we award the nominee the ninth place in the rating, but with high hopes for future improvements in the result.
- relies on high-tech production methods;
- introduction of operational control, reduction of rejects;
- good parameters of reliability and durability of discs;
- good product design.
- the firm is still not very popular among Russian motorists.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.