Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
These days, when GPS navigation is used everywhere, few tourists remember the map and the compass. it speaks only of inexperience. Every seasoned traveler knows that GPS is unable to completely replace the compass, as a constant satellite signal is needed, which is not always available, and battery charge, but there is no way to recharge on the go. Even if you are a beginner, we recommend taking an additional compass with you, to have access to terrain navigation in any situation.
The compass is known to help determine the location, navigate on the map and find the necessary objects. He allows not get lost, and if this happens, it will quickly lead to the route, if the traveler has the necessary knowledge of operation of the device. But it’s important not only to have the skill to use compass, and also be able to choose the right device for each specific task. There are compasses for athletes, military, geologists, sailors, pilots, etc.
The experts studied user reviews and expert opinions, making a rating, which included the 9 best compasses.
- How to choose a compass
- Rating of the best compasses
- The best travel compasses
- Brunton International Pocket Transit 0-360 Degree
- Suunto MB-6 Global
- Silva Compass Expedition
- The best army compasses
- Veber DC60-1A
- Veber DC602A
- The best wrist compasses
- Suunto m-9
- Kromatech 30 mm
- The best compasses for athletes
- Silva race
- Moscompass “Fast Arrow”
How to choose a compass
- Varieties. First you need to decide which there are appliances. There are three main groups: liquid – simple devices with compact dimensions reasonable cost and accuracy. Such devices do not need setup and calibration. Due to the fact that the tank usually glass, handle the compass carefully saving him from shaking and falling; magnetic – known to almost everyone appliances that are considered good old classics and have a wide range of use. Differ in high accuracy, convenience operation, small dimensions. True, it should be remembered that in the presence of strong magnetic fields near indications; electronic – a modern modification of the magnetic compass with advanced functionality only. Are accurate ease of use, compactness. True, there are electronic Compasses are quite expensive. It happens that such devices combine with GPS navigators.
- For what purposes is purchased. Base models fit novice adventurers, as well as people who by virtue adhere to the route without much deviation, and move mainly during the day. Such compasses have the most important components without complicated parts like adjusting deviations and mirrors. Multifunction devices with full a set of features (equipped with a magnifying glass, a mirror and etc.) can improve navigation accuracy. High cost and complexity of settings, so they are suitable for experienced travelers, military, geologists and others. Compass accessories are key rings, watches, etc. Not all similar devices able to work with high precision, so you need to be especially attentive while choosing.
- Case dimensions. It is important that the model is different compactness. The compass should be small to always to be at hand and not cause a tourist inconvenience when transportation and operation. Prefer devices with waterproof and shockproof housing.
- Global arrow. Need on a compass if the traveler plans to go to the southern hemisphere. Deviations Earth’s magnetic fields allow the arrow of a classic compass rotate freely in North America, but it can fail in other parts of the world. The global arrow eliminates deviations, therefore it rotates freely anywhere in the world.
- Gyroscope. Need compasses with a gyroscope only with water and air navigation. With them is determined not magnetic, but true North Pole. Due to this, distortion of readings is reduced to zero due to the effects of electronics. If you do not plan such traveling by water or air, you should not overpay.
- Barometer, altimeter and clinometer. Compass Required for tourists who prefer mountain climbing. Barometer measures pressure showing estimated weather changes; altimeter measures height above sea level, and a clinometer – a vertical angle (tilt), allowing you to assess the height of objects. With a compass in which there is a barometer, altimeter and clinometer easy to control the process climbing avoiding storms, avalanches and other weather cataclysms.
- Functionality Geological and Army compasses are usually advanced and equipped with backlight, magnifying glass, ruler, vizier. Choosing specific model, build on those tasks with which you must handle the appliance.
- Strap. Durable shoelace with which the compass attached in a convenient place: on a belt, wrist, backpack, etc. d.
Rating of the best compasses
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best travel compasses||1||Brunton International Pocket Transit 0-360 Degree||29 900 rub.|
|2||Suunto MB-6 Global||6 990 rub.|
|3||Silva Compass Expedition||3 190 rub.|
|The best army compasses||1||Veber DC60-1A||1 852 rub.|
|2||Veber DC602A||2 185 rub.|
|The best wrist compasses||1||Suunto m-9||3 490 rub.|
|2||Kromatech 30 mm||370 RUB|
|The best compasses for athletes||1||Silva race||5 060 rub.|
|2||Moscompass “Fast Arrow”||1 780 rub.|
The best travel compasses
Brunton International Pocket Transit 0-360 Degree
In first place in the compass category, recognized as the best for use during tourist expeditions. Device cost of course, rather big, but so far no one has been found, who after the purchase was disappointed in the model. Cast aluminum The housing protects all important parts from damage. Double level, which makes it possible to find the perfect balance at a point. It works properly in the southern hemisphere. Comes complete waterproof shutter made of silicon, adapter for tripod and leather case for storage and transportation.
- high accuracy – up to 1/2 degree;
- works equally well on land and water;
- graduation is divided into single degrees.
- high cost – from 22 thousand p.
Suunto MB-6 Global
The second line is occupied by a multifunctional model with global balancing. The compass has a matchbox form factor. The housing is reinforced with additional protection, so break the device almost impossible. When immersed in water does not suffer, so as moisture does not penetrate the compass. There is a sighting device to accurately determine the direction. Gives accurate readings in any parts of the world, including in the southern hemisphere. Direction of movement and indicative marks are made of luminescent material, glowing in the dark.
- deviation correction adjustment;
- sapphire axial bearings.
- relatively expensive – from 6 thousand p.
Silva Compass Expedition
The third position goes to the magnetic tablet compass. Device was designed for experienced tourists and travelers, therefore has advanced features. For those who use GPS, There is an additional measurement scale. The model is equipped with a clinometer and a magnifying glass. The markings glow so even at night you can continue to move. Able to work properly with temperature from -40 to +60 degrees. Users note high accuracy, error is not more than 1 degree. Body Made of high impact plastic.
- compact size;
- light weight – 50 g;
- reasonable cost – from 2700 p.
- not found.
The best army compasses
In the first place is a liquid compass in a sturdy aluminum case, protected against splashes and moisture. Suitable for orientation both on land and on water. To the benefits of the model include the high stabilization rate of the arrow. Main The dial has two scales: degrees and miles. Floating disk the dial is coated with special phosphorescent paints, therefore, you can use the device in the dark. In the lid a viewing window is installed so that it can be operated the compass is even closed. Case included.
- a sight is provided;
- the ability to mount on a tripod;
- formula table on the back cover;
- there is a clinometer;
- reasonable cost – from 1700 p.
- not found.
The second line goes to the compass with liquid damping. The arrow stabilizes quickly, as everything damps in the liquid fluctuations. The body is made of durable but lightweight aluminum, thanks to which the device is protected from damage and has a small weight. The rest of the body is made of brass, plastic and high impact glass. As you know, the Veber DC602A model is working replica of the famous military compass Francis Barker M73. It has the same functionality as the original. Together with the device comes with a nylon cover that closes with Velcro.
- high accuracy – 1/2 degree;
- belt mount;
- equipped with a prismatic lens;
- two scales;
- reasonable cost – from 1500 r.
- not found.
The best wrist compasses
In the first place in the rating category is a compass made in convenient form factor of watches. The model was praised thanks to accuracy and reliability. The advantages of the device are: carry a serrated bezel and sighting window. The housing is waterproof therefore, with a compass it is allowed to dive under water. Built in ratchet correctly adjusts direction for quick orienteering. Users in reviews indicate that the device unable to completely replace the full-sized compass, therefore not Suitable for serious travel.
- light weight;
- compact size;
- reasonable cost – from 2500 p.
- not working in the southern hemisphere.
Kromatech 30 mm
The second line is occupied by another model made in wrist watch form factor. Especially loved this compass cycling travelers, since during driving hands are always busy with a tool, and you don’t have to do with such a device stops, because you can navigate while driving by looking on the wrist. The dial is black and the dial is white, thanks to this contrast all values are clearly visible. Strap Made of durable plastic. Length is adjustable, therefore always Easy to fit arm size to any thickness.
- the arrow is visible in the dark;
- compact size;
- budget cost – from 500 r.
- does not replace a full compass.
The best compasses for athletes
In the first place is a model for orienteering. Device equipped with a new design arrow and large transparent glasses size so that the map is visible. The support board is also changed, for due to which contact between the card and thumb is improved. The device will be ideal for runners and racers. The compass is equipped with a thin arrow that uses a double magnet from rare metals. That is why stabilization carried out much faster compared to peers, even while running athlete.
- high accuracy;
- supports with two axles;
- instant stabilization of the arrow;
- compact size.
- relatively expensive – from 5 thousand p.
Moscompass “Fast Arrow”
Closes the rating category compass domestic production. It, like the previous one, is intended for orienteering. In the Moscompass line, this model is the fastest. Arrow instantly stabilizes despite shaking, which can arise, for example, due to running, jumping, etc. applies graduated scale and thin arrow. Dial black colors with white scale. The device can be released on the board, attached using a special cord, or put on the finger of any hand, fixing with Velcro.
- arrow stabilization time – 0.5-1sec;
- strong magnet;
- compact size;
- reasonable cost – from 2300 p.
- not found.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.