Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
When the whole family is going to go out of town by car for a weekend or go on a trip on vacation, the problem of lack of free space in the regular trunk arises. An additional roof system will come to the rescue. Today, car owners are offered many different options for roof racks, they differ in the way of fastening, roominess and shape. To make the right choice, you should heed the advice of experts.
How to choose a roof rack
- Mounting methods. The cornerstone when choosing a roof rack is the mounting method. There are several options.
- Fastening for gutters is typical for domestic cars. Since the drain is located along the entire roof, it is possible to mount the rack of the luggage system anywhere. Such mounts are versatile, they can be installed on different brands of cars.
- Not all cars have standard places for installing the trunk. The presence of such points can be identified by the plastic plugs on the roof. The pluses include the reinforced design of regular places. However, arcs can only be installed over factory holes, so not every rack will fit.
- Roof rails are often found on the roofs of station wagons and SUVs. They are two longitudinal slats with a gap between them and the roof surface. It is very easy to fix the trunk, many universal models will do. But when driving, additional resistance is formed, due to which the behavior of the car on the road worsens.
- Integrated roof rails have no roof clearance. There are more and more cars equipped with such accessories, but the fixing elements must match the geometry of the railing. And the installation of the trunk will take more time.
- The T-bar is found on some SUVs, vans and station wagons. The obvious advantages of such a system are the laying of rails along the roof, along which the crossbars can be fixed at any point.
- A trunk or a box can be attached to the doorway with profiled side braces. Parts that touch the roof surface are rubberized or coated with a polymer coating.
- Magnetic mounts are becoming more and more popular for their simplicity and practicality. But a trunk with such a fixation option can only be sustained by a small weight, and magnets leave traces on the paintwork.
- Luggage system type. When choosing a roof rack, it is important to consider the nature of the cargo being transported.
- Steel bars are the most affordable roof rack. They are good for their versatility and large assortment. For rare travels, this is a great option.
- The aluminum profile is suitable for transporting sports equipment. Such a trunk is distinguished by good aerodynamics and aesthetic appearance.
- Boxes provide maximum safety of transported items. They are equipped with locks that prevent theft during parking. But such devices are expensive.
We've selected the top 7 roof rack manufacturers for our review. All of them supply their products to the Russian market. The rating was compiled taking into account the opinions of experts and reviews of domestic car owners.
Rating of the best roof rack manufacturers
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||rating|
|Rating of the best roof rack manufacturers||1||Whispbar||4.9|
The first car roof racks under the Whispbar brand were manufactured in 1975 in New Zealand. The creator of this product is considered to be an aeronautical engineer Hubco, who has worked for the large companies Rolls Royce and Air New Zealand. At the time, the trunks were branded differently (Prorack). In 2010, the American luggage system manufacturer Yakima acquired the rights to its invention from Hubco. Since then, the Whispbar brand has existed, its roof racks are considered the quietest in the world. Experts gave the laurels of the winner of our rating to the manufacturer for convenience, practicality, high strength and durability.
Domestic users are satisfied with the rich assortment of luggage systems, stylish design and the highest quality. The disadvantage of the brand is the high price.
- high quality;
- unique aerodynamics;
- strength and reliability;
- high price.
The Swedish manufacturer Thule is calling for an active lifestyle. Moreover, he reinforces his motto with a series of roomy car roof racks. The company was founded in 1942 and since then has been developing accessories for travelers and outdoor enthusiasts. The staff numbers more than 2,200 people, and the number of production sites has exceeded 40. Experts have given the brand the second line of the rating for elegance, functionality and reliability.
Domestic car owners note the convenience of assembling and dismantling structures. All fasteners are dimensioned to make installation easier. The manufacturer's catalog contains spare parts for the entire model range. Among the disadvantages is the high price of trunks and spare parts for them.
- elegant design;
- thoughtful mounting design;
- Swedish quality;
- durable plastic.
- high price.
The Italian company MENABO began its activity in 1972 with the manufacture of audio equipment. However, the rapid development of vehicles prompted the company's employees to develop car roof racks and boxes. The brand occupies a leading position in Europe, it includes 3 production sites and 2 logistics centers. Experts appreciated the unique design of Italian products and reasonable prices. The manufacturer managed to achieve high quality and reliability due to the use of three-layer plastic. Car owners are offered a wide range of models, a variety of shapes and colors.
Domestic motorists praise MENABO trunks for their sophistication and durability. The brand ranks third in the ranking due to such a drawback as an inconvenient opening system.
- good quality;
- refined style;
- affordable prices;
- inconvenient opening system.
The Polish brand Amos, in addition to universal roof racks, produces special devices for transporting sports equipment. The company has been operating on the European market for over 30 years. In the catalog you can find models with different types of fasteners. There are luggage racks that are installed on roof rails, in regular places, with fastening for gutters and doorways. Since all luggage systems were developed for European motorists, the experts have no complaints about spaciousness and convenience. But as for quality, in this component the brand is inferior to the leaders of the rating.
Users from Russia are satisfied with the reasonable price, the presence of protective mechanisms, the ability to adjust for sports equipment. Of the minuses, car owners note the difficulties with installation.
- affordable price;
- a line of trunks for sports equipment;
- different mounting options;
- ease of use.
- difficulties with installation.
The Russian manufacturer of roof racks FicoPro has a wide range of models. Due to this, the brand is entrenched in the top five of our rating. The products are addressed not only to owners of domestic cars, but also to owners of foreign cars. In the brand's catalog, both wealthy Russians and those with a limited budget will find their model. The main direction of the company is the manufacture of roof racks with mounting on roof rails. For ease of installation, a unique fastening system has been developed; light-alloy arcs help to facilitate the construction. All products have received domestic quality certificates.
Users loved the FicoPro roof racks for their rich assortment, decent aerodynamics and affordable prices. The brand's liability includes weak secrets and the lack of elastic pads.
- wide range of models;
- special fastening system;
- light weight;
- high quality.
- weak secret locks.
Taking into account the peculiarities of the Russian climate, roof racks are created under the Lux trademark. Since 2009, Omega-Favorit has been manufacturing premium luggage systems. Most of the models are designed for foreign cars, the manufacturer offers accessories for 32 brands. The consumer can choose boxes and bicycle racks in the catalog. The brand's products are popular with domestic motorists. Luggage systems can be mounted both on ratings and on a smooth roof. All steel parts are reliably protected against corrosion by electroplating and frost-resistant plastic.
Motorists consider the advantages of Lux luggage racks to be of good quality, a wide range of models. Among the disadvantages should be highlighted the high price, lengthy installation of luggage systems.
- high quality;
- rich choice;
- reliable protection against corrosion;
- different mounting options.
- lengthy installation.
The Russian manufacturer of roof racks Atlant began its activities in 2001. For the first five years, the company produced only accessories for domestic cars. Subsequently, the production of models for imported equipment was mastered. Today, motorists are offered various types of luggage systems, boxes, spare parts, ski, snowboard and bicycle racks. The manufacturer's catalog contains structures for a smooth roof, devices for cars with roof rails and car racks with fastening for gutters. The experts included the brand in our rating for its stylish design, streamlined shape and affordable price.
A domestic company should work on the quality of its products. Users most often criticize roof racks for noise and design flaws.
- affordable price;
- stylish design;
- variety of mounts.
- low quality;
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.