Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
With the arrival of winter, all weak components and mechanisms are found in the car. When there is a problem with starting the engine, first of all, suspicion falls on a dead battery. Sometimes the problem can be solved by recharging the battery, but often you have to purchase a new power source. Before heading to a car shop, you should heed the recommendations of our experts.
- How to choose a battery for winter
- Rating of the best batteries for winter
- Topla AGM Stop&Go
- Varta Blue Dynamic
- OPTIMA 75 YELLOW TOP
- TAB Polar 5200
- BOSCH S5 001 (52R)
- Mutlu Silver Calcium
- EXIDE Premium EA770 (77R)
How to choose a battery for winter
- Determination of the required capacity. There is a wide range of car batteries on sale, even one manufacturer has a whole line of different models. It is necessary to select a battery according to its capacity, taking into account the recommendations of the automaker. You should not buy a more powerful (as well as a weaker) current source, since the generator will not be able to completely restore the battery while driving. Batteries with a capacity of 40-60 Ah are suitable for gasoline small cars.
- Starting current. The most important characteristic of the battery for diesel car owners is the starting current. This is because more effort is required to crank the starter and ignite the diesel fuel. If a starting current of 300-400 A (according to SAE) is enough for an average gasoline passenger car, then the same car with a diesel unit must be equipped with a battery with a starting current of 600-800 A.
- Battery type. Today on the market you can find several types of batteries.
- Lead-acid batteries of the classical type have a black case, which is filled with a special resin on top. Such power sources can not only be recharged and check the density of the electrolyte, but also change the failed banks. Today, such batteries are not in high demand, since their service life is short, and modern motorists rarely resort to repairs.
- Low-maintenance models are distinguished by a translucent plastic body. They have filler holes that are closed with plugs. Such batteries can be recharged, if necessary, check the electrolyte density. All connections between plates and cans are inside the case. Low-maintenance batteries are popular with Russian motorists for the optimal combination of price and quality.
- Maintenance-free batteries have no filler holes, therefore, the battery can only be checked using special diagnostic tools. There is one hole for communication with the atmosphere; many batteries are equipped with a control eye. Such models are considered the most modern, but their cost is also higher than that of classic or low-maintenance models.
We have selected the 7 best batteries for winter in our review. All of them are widely represented in car dealerships in Russia. When compiling the rating, the opinion of the expert community and the reviews of domestic motorists were taken into account.
Rating of the best batteries for winter
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Rating of the best batteries for winter||1||Topla AGM Stop&Go||RUB 7,000|
|2||Varta Blue Dynamic||RUB 4,960|
|3||OPTIMA 75 YELLOW TOP||RUB 18,900|
|4||TAB Polar||RUB 5,200|
|5||BOSCH S5 001 (52R)||RUB 4 800|
|6||Mutlu Silver Calcium||RUB 4,500|
|7||EXIDE Premium EA770 (77R)||4 600 RUB|
Topla AGM Stop&Go
Автовладельцам, которые всю зиму эксплуатируют транспортное средство в городских условиях, эксперты рекомендуют присмотреться к словенскому аккумулятору Topla AGM Stop&Go. At first glance, a high price can cause confusion among inexperienced motorists. This is not BOSCH or OPTIMA to shell out a round sum of money. But the invested funds are more than paid off by long-term trouble-free operation. Even experts are surprised at the survivability of the model. Frequent starting of the engine does not adversely affect the state of the battery; with a working generator, the battery quickly restores the lost capacity. High quality is confirmed by a 3-year manufacturer's warranty.
Motorists are happy with the battery performance, and the price of the model AGM is justified. Therefore, the battery becomes the winner of our rating.
- fast recovery of capacity;
- 3 year warranty;
- ease of use.
- high price.
Varta Blue Dynamic
The German Varta Blue Dynamic battery has an excellent combination of quality and price. The power source is characterized by high starting energy, which is appreciated by owners of cars with diesel engines. The model has successfully passed various tests and tests, which were carried out by reputable auto experts and periodicals. And in our ranking, the battery took a high second place, losing to the winner in durability. The battery recovers its capacity fairly quickly, but in winter you will have to use a stationary charger.
Domestic motorists are used to trusting the quality of Varta, expecting miracles from the battery. Therefore, there are negative reviews in which the owners complain about the short service life. At the same time, they forget about the need for periodic maintenance.
- high starting current;
- high-quality assembly;
- affordable price;
OPTIMA 75 YELLOW TOP
The most expensive car batteries today are OPTIMA gel batteries. The 75 YELLOW TOP is a role model in terms of innovation. The American manufacturer managed to achieve a record breaking current (975 A) from the battery in cold weather. Even in severe frost, the power source can withstand a large number of engine starts. In addition, the battery provides the on-board network with stable electricity, which is important with a large number of devices and options.
Experts put the battery in the honorable third place in our rating. To rise above the model is still hampered by a very high price and difficulties with service. You will have to spend extra money on battery charging from professionals.
- high cold cranking current;
- innovative energy generation technology;
- resistance to severe frost.
- high price;
- difficulties with maintenance.
TAB Polar 5200
Another battery from Slovenia got into our rating, stopping one step away from the top three. The TAB Polar model is designed for a wide range of vehicles. Both a gasoline and a diesel engine are capable of starting a battery in cold weather. Moreover, the declared values of the starting current are confirmed by tests in harsh winter conditions. The manufacturer managed to achieve a high starting current due to the thinning of the plates, so their number in the bank increased. The body itself is made of frost-resistant polypropylene. He is not afraid of cold, vibration, acid vapors and exposure to open fire.
Domestic car owners found one drawback in the battery, which did not allow them to bypass the leaders. The starting current drops sharply when restarting a frozen motor.
- universality of application;
- high starting current;
- vibration resistance;
- frost-resistant body.
- energy drops when restarting a cold motor.
BOSCH S5 001 (52R)
One of the most popular models for winter among car manufacturers is the BOSCH battery. Most small cars are equipped with S5 001 (52R) batteries. Thanks to the unique PowerFrame technology, the battery can also run diesel engines in frosty conditions. In pursuit of high power and durability, the manufacturer has not forgotten about the safety of the power source. Experts pay attention to the minimum self-discharge of the battery, so there is no need to additionally recharge the battery on a stationary device. Since the model is made in an unattended version, its operation is simple.
Domestic users speak positively about the quality of the battery and its endurance. On the downside, they include a long charging time.
- high popularity;
- high-quality assembly.
- takes a charge for a long time.
Mutlu Silver Calcium
The Turkish battery Mutlu Silver Calcium attracted the attention of experts at an affordable price. It was tested by domestic journalists from the reputable Za Rulem publication and received good reviews from specialists. The manufacturer uses a patented technology to create Ca-Ca plates. An innovative approach has made it possible to give the battery high performance, reliability, and vibration resistance. The high starting current is maintained even in severe frost. It is convenient for the car owner to monitor the charge level through a peephole.
The model is included in our rating for a good combination of price and quality. Of the shortcomings, users note the fragile corners of the case, the capacity of the battery drops when the car is standing for a long time in the cold.
- good quality;
- affordable price;
- advanced manufacturing technology;
- resistance to vibration.
- fragile corners of the body;
- capacity falls upon prolonged standing in the cold.
EXIDE Premium EA770 (77R)
You can read a lot of good reviews on the forums of domestic motorists about the EXIDE Premium EA770 battery. The most praiseworthy things are inrush current and battery life. An American manufacturer for the European market has launched the production of batteries in Spain. Products come with a 2-year warranty and users report a 5-7 year lifespan. The power source regularly starts petrol and diesel engines after a frosty night. Experts explain the stable interest in the model on the part of Russian car owners with an acceptable price.
As for the shortcomings of the battery, then with a long idle car capacity is lost. And if you do not recharge the battery on a stationary device, then the service life is reduced to 3 years.
- acceptable price;
- 2-year warranty;
- high-quality assembly;
- good starting current.
- capacity falls in the cold;
- requires regular recharging.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.