Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
A yoga or fitness mat creates a separate space for creativity, while at the same time restricting your personal area, which is especially important in a hall with a lot of fullness. The accessory has several tasks: to provide body hygiene, protect from cold floors, reduce slipping of legs and arms, and create a mood that directly affects the effectiveness of training.
Experts have compiled a rating that includes the 6 best yoga and fitness mats.
- How to choose a yoga mat
- Size and weight
- Rating of the best yoga and fitness mats
- OFT NBR black 1800х610х8 mm
- Bodhi Rishikesh 60
- Ojas Shakti Pro
- Starfit FM-201
- FitTools Banana Lime
- Starfit FM-301
How to choose a yoga mat
Yoga and aerobics products vary in material, surface texture and size. These parameters are important to consider when choosing a product.
This is the first thing to look for when buying.
- Latex is the choice of professionals. Natural rubber rugs are environmentally friendly, do not slip at all, create a barrier between the body and the cold floor. Disadvantages – relatively quick wear compared to products made from artificial materials, as well as high weight.
- PVC is the second most popular material for rugs, known as 'foam'. The wear is insignificant even with intense loads and regular training, the weight is low, the price is affordable – these are the main advantages of polyvinyl chloride. On the other hand, when the top layer is broken, the foam absorbs dust into the bubbles, which is not easy to clean. With careful handling and storage, the problem rarely occurs. It can be difficult to straighten a rug if it is stored rolled up.
- Thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) is the best choice for relaxed yoga. The mats roll out and do not tend to roll back into a roll, create optimal grip on any floor covering, pleasant to the touch.
- Cotton is also used as a material for the rug, but to eliminate the sliding effect, its bottom is rubberized. Softness and comfort are the main advantages of a product that is suitable for yoga, including for children.
- The cork has excellent absorbency – sweat on such a rug will not settle as a slippery layer under the body, but will be absorbed into the pores of natural or artificial material. The product has a minimum coefficient of thermal conductivity – it is suitable for training on a cold floor, but to minimize slipping on the base it is covered with rubber.
- Jute is ideal from the point of view of environmental friendliness and practicality – the fiber does not slip on the floor, it has optimal softness, it is at the core natural. The jute mat is ideal for experienced yoga practitioners.
Size and weight
- In yoga, there are many asanas in the lying position. Accordingly, the length of the rug should be no less than the height of a person + 10-15 cm for a stock. For fitness, it makes sense to purchase a mat up to 220 cm for freedom of active movement.
- The width of the canvas for most is standard – 60 ± 2-3 cm. The thickness varies within 3-10 mm (maybe more). This issue takes into account the student's experience – beginners often fall, the body is not ready for a hard surface, it is advisable to choose 4-6 mm, experienced students and instructors can use a 3 mm canvas.
- The weight of the product depends on the size of the canvas and the material of manufacture. The choice should be made according to the weight of the trainee. Optimal calculation: up to 60 kg of weight – product 1.5 kg. It is also important to take into account the intensity of the workout: the belt is lighter for yoga than for fitness.
In the matter of choosing the stiffness, experts recommend relying on your own preferences. Observed trend: for yoga – softer, for fitness – harder.
The hardness of the carpet is marked on each product:
- НAb Mats – the toughest canvases;
- Workout Mats – Medium stiffness with optimal cushioning
- Mind Bodies are ideal products in terms of rigidity, universal.
Marketing in many sporting goods stores helps to facilitate the selection: the fitness and yoga equipment departments are already stocked with carpets made from the right materials.
Now we offer you the best training mats from the point of view of experienced trainers and sports enthusiasts.
Rating of the best yoga and fitness mats
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Rating of the best yoga and fitness mats||1||OFT NBR black 1800х610х8 mm||RUB 1,190|
|2||Bodhi Rishikesh 60||RUB 2,892|
|3||Ojas Shakti Pro||RUB 3,440|
|4||Starfit FM-201||RUB 1,660|
|5||FitTools Banana Lime||RUB 1,190|
|6||Starfit FM-301||1 350 rub.|
OFT NBR black 1800х610х8 mm
The most popular was the universal mat for measured yoga and intensive aerobics OFT NBR in black, despite the presence of other colors in the line. It is made of synthetic nitrile-butadiene rubber, similar in structure to natural resin material – moderately dense, providing good adhesion to the floor. The size 1800×610 is suitable for growth up to 180 cm, and the thickness of 8 mm will allow you to use the rug on any type of floor, including on grass and sand in nature – irregularities under it are almost invisible. For storage, the manufacturer made 2 convenient holes with plastic rims – they do not stretch the rubber, when the rug is suspended from the wall, they do not interfere with practicing.
The black color in the rating is not accidental: pollution is practically not visible on it, therefore it does not lose its presentability for a long time. It is easy to care for the surface – just wipe with a damp cloth or a sponge and detergent.
The average price is 1200 rubles.
- Wear-resistant material artificial rubber;
- Universal stiffness;
- Neutral design
- Convenient care;
- Can be used in the hall, at home and outdoors;
- Suitable for heights up to 170 cm;
- Straightened storage hangers;
- Affordable price.
- Not defined.
Bodhi Rishikesh 60
The Bodhi Rishikesh 60 high-density PVC mat gets a silver rating. It is durable, suitable for physical activity of any intensity. A dense and elastic canvas is suitable for a light child and for an obese person with excess weight – everyone will be moderately soft and comfortable during classes.
The 60 cm wide rug can be purchased in different lengths from 175 to 220 cm. The range of colors will please you: classic gray and black, soothing lime green, turquoise and purple, bright burgundy and orange. The product is suitable for yoga, Pilates and aerobics in the gym, it is possible to carry out exercises outdoors – the thickness of the product is 10 mm The hygiene of this sports equipment is at a high level – debris does not stick to a dense surface, if necessary, PVC can be wiped with a damp cloth and even machine washed!
Bodhi Rishikesh 60 has different surfaces: the upper is structural, which prevents the hands and feet from sliding during exercise, the lower one is completely smooth with a sticky layer for adhesion to the floor. Over time, PVC only becomes softer, but the canvas does not stretch due to the reinforcement with nylon.
The lack of a rug is typical for all similar PVC products: with sweaty palms and feet, it will still be slippery on the rug, because it does not absorb moisture. The average price of Bodhi Rishikesh 60 is 2 600 rubles, it is justified by its durability.
- Variety of colors;
- Suitable mainly for the hall;
- For any type of training;
- High degree of wear resistance under any load;
- Suitable length can be chosen;
- Easy care, including machine wash.
- Wet palms slide over the surface.
Ojas Shakti Pro
The Ojas Shakti Pro rug is distinguished by increased softness of a rough surface, the product is the optimal solution for girls with thin skin, babies and just lovers of soft textures. Environmentally friendly thermoplastic elastomer resists stress well, adheres strongly to slippery flooring, and does not change its properties over time.
The thickness of the canvas 0.6 cm reliably protects against cold floors and hard drops – especially convenient for beginners. With a length and width of 183 x 60 cm, the product weighs only 1.2 kg – slightly less than its counterparts in the same size.
On both sides, the rug is of different textures: on one side – smooth, pale, on the other – bright, rough. Both adhere well to the floor, you can choose the surface that you want to feel when you touch each time.
Ojas Shakti Pro is suitable for fitness or yoga classes in the gym. Its average price is 3,400 rubles.
- 2 types of surfaces for mood;
- Universal application;
- Reduced weight up to 1.2 kg;
- Universal sizes 183 x 60 cm;
- Several bright shades;
- Good thermal insulation.
- The problem with creases and straightening of the rug from a twisted state.
The soft color Starfit FM-201 rug made of thermoplastic elastomer differs from its predecessors in a reduced length – only 173 cm, therefore it is suitable for short athletes up to 160 cm in height.And there are no weight restrictions – for a child or a person of obese constitution Starfit FM-201 will be equally comfortable . The texture is the same on both sides, and the colors are different – you can turn the rug over according to your mood. The set includes textile ties to fix the twisted position.
As follows from the reviews, professionals do not use a mat – it does not have perfect grip and legs, hands slip when performing many exercises. Another sin is electrification, dust and hair collect on the surface. Fortunately, you can clean the rug with water or a damp cloth.
The average price is 1200 rubles.
- Soft surfaces in two colors from different sides;
- Ties included;
- Relatively non-slip coating;
- Optimal price.
- The mat is electrified and collects dust.
FitTools Banana Lime
In the fifth place in the rating is the classic PVC rug FitTools Banana Lime, yellow on one side and banana on the other, but both have the same texture, traditional for polyvinyl chloride. The foam is quite elastic: when doing aerobics in sneakers, typos remain on the surface, but they quickly restore their shape, therefore, it is enough to wipe the product with a sponge or wash it under the tap with soap. The density of PVC has been increased; on the FitTools mat 10 cm thick, it is moderately comfortable to perform exercises, including with stands and rests on the hands.
The dimensions of the canvas are 190 x 61 cm, allowing people of different heights to work up to 180 cm.
The PVC from which FitTools Banana Lime is made is dense, so it will not be easy to spread it out – in a roll it remembers its shape and takes time to lie down on the floor. It should be rolled with the bottom side inward so that the edges do not rise during exercise.
The average price is 900 rubles.
- Affordable price;
- Big sizes;
- Light weight;
- Optimal grip on hands, feet and the floor;
- Double colors;
- Optimum elasticity with regaining shape after heavy loads.
- Difficult to lay after unrolling the roll;
- Hands damp with sweat slip.
Closing the rating is the Starfit FM-301 mat made of NBR elastic synthetic rubber, the cheapest material in comparison with the models presented above. This is a budget option for amateurs: it is suitable for stretching, Pilates at home, we do not recommend subjecting the product to intense loads – it stretches, there is no reinforcement inside. It is not possible to achieve immobility in static yoga poses – there is a sliding of the legs and arms along the surface of the PP. You should not practice on the mat in sneakers – they will damage its surface, and with sharp steps and jumps, the canvas may break.
The Starfit FM-301 price is the lowest in the rating – about 700 rubles.
- Bright colours;
- Size 183×58 cm;
- Increased thickness of 10 mm, increased thermal insulation;
- Nice surface texture;
- Low price.
- Electrifies and attracts dust, hair;
- Instability to intense dynamic loads.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.