Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
Along with the engine or transmission is one of the most important elements of the internal structure of a modern car. It provides power to all peripheral electronics and on-board systems, as well as the ability to start the motor – the main unit in composition of the power unit of a car.
According to the tradition already established in the automotive product segment, more than 50 companies are engaged in battery production around the world, however, only a small fraction of them deserve consumer confidence. That is why the editors of the magazine held independent study, which resulted in a rating the best battery for a car in two themed categories. The selection criteria for the final list of steel are:
- customer reviews (their general essence and constructiveness);
- expert opinions;
- comparison of technical and operational characteristics;
- level of value and its relation to the existing functionality.
- How to choose a battery for a car
- Which battery is better: gel or lead acid?
- Rating of the best batteries for the car
- Best Lead Acid Batteries
- VARTA Blue dynamic
- Medalist Standard CMF 56077
- Mutlu Calcium Silver 60
- TAB Polar B60HV
- Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64
- Exide premium
- “Beast” 6CT-60 L3U
- Best AGM batteries
- VARTA D52 Silver Dynamic AGM
- Bosch AGM S5
- Banner Running Bull
- Optima Red Top
- Tudor AGM
How to choose a battery for a car
In order to make the right battery selection for your car, pay attention to three key aspects:
Type of battery. Very important feature, directly affecting the value of future purchases, and the manifestation of strong and weaknesses. All manufactured batteries are divided into three groups:
- Lead acid. Extremely primitive and obsolete type batteries, consisting of six insulated containers (cans) with sulfuric acid, in each of which a lead plate is lowered. They are cheap, mostly serviced (if possible unscrew the plugs to top up the electrolyte) and tolerate recharge. True, in the case of a full discharge, they can easily lose all capacity and just stop charging.
- Gel. The latest type of battery, liquid electrolyte in which is replaced by gel. They are more environmentally friendly than lead acid batteries because the gel does not flow and prevents coloring of lead plates. In addition, they insensitive to deep discharge, but they are sufficiently rigid requirements for the charging process and three (or even five times) more high price.
- AGM. Combined battery type combining the principles of both of the above options. Liquid electrolyte here acts as an impregnation for the fiber material that frames plates and also prevents their coloring. Such batteries have high energy efficiency, but are extremely sensitive to the charging process, and to a deep discharge. Double cost higher than on lead acid models.
The value of the starting current. Required parameter which spelled out in accompanying documents and on the label battery. It can be measured by three different methods:
- EN – current measurements occur at -18 degrees Celsius and voltage of at least 7.5 volts for 10 seconds. Summary the value is taken as the maximum possible.
- DIN – at similar ambient temperatures and not less than 9 volts voltage measurement takes 30 seconds. This is the toughest way to set the trigger parameter. current.
- SAE – supplied voltage is 7.2 volts, temperature unchanging. Indication of maximum current level goes through 30 seconds.
Inrush current comes to the fore when the battery going to operate in regions with a cold climate. In such case it is better to give preference to models with high current characteristic – the probability of starting the engine in a cold noticeably rise.
Polarity. The extremely important and “insidious” aspect of choice, spoiled the nerves to any inattentive car owner. how as a rule, the vast majority of cars have short terminals to connect the battery, which can not be adapted to your places with his “wrong” device (a kind of protection against fools, capable of inadvertently throwing the terminals on the wrong contacts). Remember a simple rule: if you turn the battery terminals to yourself, then the “plus” will be on the left, with direct polarity, or right with polarity reversed. A kind of domestic and European location option.
Which battery is better: gel or lead acid?
+ Relatively inexpensive battery type
+ Ease of execution
+ Low level of self-discharge (from 3 to 20%) in month
+ Low maintenance requirements – do not require electrolyte topping up and do not have a memory effect
+ Expressed ability for high current output
– Do not tolerate storage in a discharged condition
– Generally temperature sensitive swings
– Low environmental friendliness – electrolytes and lead are pollutants
– Supports a strictly limited number charge / discharge cycles
– Most often they “live” for 2-3 years
+ High degree of environmental friendliness – gel is not has flowability and prevents the breakdown of lead plates, enveloping them
+ Can be brought to a state of full discharge
+ Service life can reach 7 years
– High cost (3 times higher lead acid)
– High sensitivity to excess rated voltage level
– Rigid enough current limits charging
– Do not tolerate frost, which is why recommended for use in cold regions
Rating of the best batteries for the car
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best Lead Acid Batteries||1||Varta Blue dynamic||8 924 rub.|
|2||Medalist Standard CMF 56077||4 700 rub.|
|3||Mutlu Calcium Silver 60||4 595 rub.|
|4||TAB Polar B60HV||5 195 rub.|
|5||Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64||4 300 rub.|
|6||Exide premium||6 248 rub.|
|7||“Beast” 6CT-60 L3U||4 350 rub.|
|Best AGM batteries||1||VARTA D52 Silver Dynamic AGM||10 355 rub.|
|2||Bosch AGM S5||14 480 rub.|
|3||Banner running bull||12 580 rub.|
|4||Optima Red Top||16 880 rub.|
|5||Tudor agm||9 750 rub.|
Best Lead Acid Batteries
VARTA Blue dynamic
A series of batteries with a very long and glorious history, always one of the top best for all the time of its existence. VARTABlue dynamic in general can be considered a reference battery: here you are very long operation, and good current performance, and even availability reserve capacity reserve. Judge for yourself: at 60 amp-hours of launcher the current here is 540 amperes (EN standard), which is much higher than a number of direct competitors.
Yes, at some point in the German production machine there was a failure, and at one time users all complained as one to the VARTA Blue dynamic outage – and that’s just after six months of work. All this happened in 2014-15. Now D59 is almost the best option for installation in the car, not perceiving frosts and managing “survive” even resting for a couple of seasons in the state half discharge. Such metamorphoses became possible due to integration the once high-tech PowerFrame, which is an obstacle to mechanical (and, apparently, chemical) destruction of lead plates. Objectively, to the model you can’t even dig in: the price tag in modern realities is more than fair, quality is proved both on expert tests, and in simple users, and the lack of an indicator Charging is unlikely to be called a serious minus.
- The optimum ratio of price and quality;
- good performance;
- availability of reserve capacity and high inrush current generated when starting the engine;
- simple but reliable design of the inside.
- not found.
Medalist Standard CMF 56077
One step from the first place in the ranking Medalist Standard CMF 56077 – most recent lead acid battery Returned to the Russian market. The reason for his departure was inconsistencies with the interests of the company: everything went to the fact that Medalist will leave the segment. But the return is inspired by great damage economy, since sales in Russia brought about 20-30% of the total profit.
As for the battery itself, then at 60 amp hours capacity value of the current was 560 amperes. Even compared to domestic batteries (“Tyumen” or “Beast”) is not enough, but the gain in mass is very tangible (here it is 13.5 kilograms). Predicting what will happen next is not easy, but it seems that the new Medalist policy will not do anything good. Having committed the second entry into the market, the manufacturer raised prices for its goods, which is why more than a third of the former turned away from it buyers. And although Standard CMF 56077 is a very decent battery, the cost still looks inappropriate content.
- stable inrush current indicators;
- the term of operation is estimated at 5 years;
- solid reserve of capacity;
- suitable for use in cold regions of Russia.
- pretty high cost.
Mutlu Calcium Silver 60
From year to year, the characters in the category do not change. MutluCalcium Silver 60 – a constant participant in various ratings and tops, which gained immense popularity among users for actual maintainability and high stability in during the entire life cycle. In this aspect positive impact of updated technology alloying with silver, which allowed to significantly lengthen life 40-60% calcium batteries. Also changes exposed and plates – advanced casting technology increases uniformity of properties and inevitable increase quality.
At 60 amp-hours of capacity, Mutlu Calcium Silver 60 is issued up to 540 amperes of current, which is good performance by standards calcium batteries. Well, finally, we should discuss the issue maintainability. To put it this way, we mean opportunity control of density in each bank, which became available thanks to removing the cover and access to the plugs. Topping up electrolyte is possible in significantly regulate battery life, thereby stretching it for years.
- optimal level of value;
- partial disassembly of the battery for self-service (namely – electrolyte fill and check density);
- high inrush current;
- good workmanship (silver alloy, technology continuous casting).
- small reserve capacity.
TAB Polar B60HV
Very good mid-range lead acid battery, not reaching the top three due to the notorious lack of backup capacity and popularity, slightly less than that of Mutlu. Yes, when ceteris paribus user preferences played their role: TAB Polar B60HV as a niche product often remained in side of the choice. Maybe in vain, because at 60 ampere-hours, the starting current in it is as much as 600 amperes, and no drop in the indicator was observed in practice. it much more than VARTA Blue Dynamic produces, and with such indicators should be considered.
Among other things, TAB Polar B60HV declared itself as about good battery for the winter, because there is no “fear” frost and low temperatures, even in Siberia, were not noticed. The cost of the model in the market, in general, corresponds to high-quality characteristics, and battery life honestly fulfills due term (5 years). In view of the era of falsification of everything and all this the battery can be considered one of the best and without long consider using it.
- The optimum ratio of price and quality;
- absolutely adequate work in cold weather;
- up to 600 A current for 60 Ah capacity;
- monitoring electrolyte through plugs.
- low reserve capacity;
- low popularity (in comparison with the first batteries triples).
Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64
If at the level of cost to the “Beast” 6CT-60 L3U it was possible make a lot of claims, then Tyumen Battery Premium 6CT-64 stoically withstands all attacks and even gives odds to many to foreign competitors. According to a number of internal tests, this battery – the best of its kind, albeit cumbersome invariably present here as a symbol of a certain “down-to-earth”.
With a capacity of 64 ampere-hours, the declared current is 59 ampere – there is a slight imbalance of values, however, not driving users into a stupor. Is it a joke, but experts are practically in its entirety, it was Tyumen Battery Premium that was preferred 6CT-64, dropping even the product from VARTA below the rank. Local victory in such a dense confrontation, there’s something, and it means, and only users influenced the final distribution of places. However was, and this battery is a bright representative of domestic production, which does not care about either cold or age.
- very high quality workmanship;
- low price;
- sufficiently large and stable characteristics;
- peer review leader.
- bulkiness (weight is 17.2 kilograms).
As often happens, Exide Premium has become a hostage to the situation. the wildest imbalance under which the American “signed” manufacturers. In essence, the life path of this battery can describe with the words “I lived short, but to the fullest”: at 60 ampere-hours starting current capacity was 640 amperes, which is the highest an indicator among their own kind. Naturally, with such a return hope for a long battery life, and even more so unrepairable, not worth the hope.
The maximum lifetime of Exide Premium is very rare. at least up to three years, due to extremely fast production cathode and anode resource. In essence, it all depends on consciousness of the user: how much operational style can be called moderate, how often does he use the car and in what climatic conditions. Fortunately, the cost of the model is not the most high in the market. If the price also let us down, then everything would be very sad.
- reasonable cost;
- very high inrush currents;
- It tolerates loads well when working in cold regions.
- extremely low survivability: hardly a maximum life exceeds three years.
“Beast” 6CT-60 L3U
The “beast” 6CT-60 L3U can safely be called a victim bias from users who consider the asking price is too high for the product, developed in Russia. Anyway, but the battery honestly fulfills all the declared parameters: so, with the same 60 ampere-hours of capacity it produces up to 600 amperes of current. A great indicator, even in comparison with representatives abroad.
Not afraid of the “Beast” 6CT-60 L3U and Russian frost, for which, in fact, it was developed: inrush currents allow easy start a gasoline and diesel engine. Resource is usually enough four years, but some users manage to “drop off” him and in one season. The only gripe to constructive the execution of the “Beast” can be allocated a large mass: 16.4 kilograms, in while with the same indicators, foreign analogues weighs 2-3 a kilogram less. Hence the conclusion: let the characteristics of our batteries and can compete with foreign, but constructively performance is not so wonderful.
- good starting currents;
- adaptability to winter conditions;
- prevalence in retail stores;
- high quality workmanship.
- high price for a domestic product;
Best AGM batteries
VARTA D52 Silver Dynamic AGM
By the will of the people, the leading line in the ranking is really decent battery from Varta which invariably positioned more expensive (and high-quality) an alternative to the previously mentioned Bosch S5 AGM. Essentially from the point D52 Silver Dynamic AGM features full view competitor S5 in the entire variety of models in the line, differing only on point, nothing significant parameters. But on the side this battery fully implemented system “start / stop”: in contrast from Bosch accidentally getting to the very point here she screwed on intentionally.
And, despite the increased wear when working in this mode, VARTA D52 Silver Dynamic AGM calmly “runs back” the same two seasons, giving at the mercy the right to decide the fate of the future to the consumer. True, as a ballast, this right is added a quarter the price of a Bosch S5. Give a little hint: such an exchange under any conditions successful, because the battery performs well not only in cars with implemented “brutal” system (here at the time remember about Tudor agm ), but also when used in standard configurations, what the eternal rivals are so lacking in categories.
- good ratio of inrush current to rated capacity level (680 A to 60 Ah, etc.);
- excellent performance in start / stop conditions;
- long-term storage of charge and the ability to quickly recharging;
- a favorable combination of price and quality.
- not found.
Bosch AGM S5
The classic battery of the line did not reach the lead a bit Bosch from the premium, the main positive quality whose ideal working balance has become much more pronounced, than the Banner running bull . Again: the abundance of models on the face various capacitance and starting current parameters, and in some places superiority over the previous representative of the rating is expressed very brightly. To give a simple example: almost 700 (to be more precise, then 680) the current ampere in the case of the S5 series is generated at a capacity 60 amp hours. A good result even by gel standards batteries.
Secondly, a good reserve reserve should be allocated. capacities, as well as a high rate of charge accumulation, which is especially useful when operating the car in a sufficiently rigid mode “start / stop”. Bosch AGM S5 is absolutely not afraid of frost, and with in any scenario, “rolls back” at least two seasons – otherwise the duration of operation will depend entirely on you. And although even in extremely positive reviews there was a place for reproach of the “big price tag”, let’s say so – no complaints about this lineup we do not have.
- high starting currents at rated values capacities;
- excellent “survivability” in the cold;
- the ability to quickly accumulate charge;
- there is a capacitive reserve (in extreme cases);
- The optimum ratio of price and quality.
- not found.
Banner Running Bull
Banner Running Bull – a model that combines the concept of balance on the main operational characteristics. Presented on the market in a wide variety of capacitive parameters and corresponding inrush currents, which is why it uses a large popular, but mainly in regions with a warm climate. By in fact, the performance of the battery is very close to the average gel batteries: for example, at a capacity of 70 ampere-hours, the starting current may reach 700-720 amperes. In other words, its capacity is enough as to start voluminous gasoline engines, and for diesel engines.
However, almost all consumers unanimously agree opinion that Banner Running Bull is not enough condition to work in frost – very quickly the battery fails. because of this additional troubles appear with its periodic removal for storage in a warm place, for overpaying for an early “death” and without that expensive energy element nobody wants.
- an extensive line of batteries by capacity;
- high inrush currents allowing the battery to be paired with diesel and gasoline engines;
- high durability in warm climatic zones or at proper maintenance in cold conditions.
- quite high price tag for the whole assortment;
- poor performance in cold climates.
Optima Red Top
Optima gel battery didn’t reach the top three Red Top, which has two good reasons: very high (like for all gel batteries) cost and low enough capacity – only 55 ampere-hours. Actually, for these reasons there are many barriers to a wholesale sale some consumers are embarrassed by such small capacitive indicators, and the rest cannot make a deal with the internal “toad,” paying attention to simpler options.
Of course, if everything was so bad, Optima Red Top circumstances would not be in the ranking. The situation saves excellent working conditions in the cold period, in connection with which the battery can be used for a long time and easily on site Siberia. The second positive aspect is the extremely high starting current value: 815 amperes, which gives a big contrast on background capacitive characteristics. Yes, it is not repairable (equal like all modern battery models), however, the service life can reach 5 years – it all depends on the frequency of use vehicle, movement modes and quantity electronics.
- modern technology of gel batteries;
- extremely high starting current (815 A);
- long service life;
- excellent performance in the winter season.
- low battery capacity (55 Ah);
- very high price.
Development of AGM-batteries Exide Technologies (owner of the Tudor brand) took up not so long ago, but already managed to make a lot of noise in the global community of motorists. The new compact installation was a real revelation among all compact battery models, giving up to 680 amperes to the load at capacity at 60 amp hours. The result is excellent, especially in conjunction with sharpened for vehicles equipped with a “start / stop” system and surround engine (from 2 liters). This is facilitated by the opportunity. fast set of charge and return of a large current pulse, which especially useful in winter car operation in urban cycle.
According to users, despite the very serious advantages of Tudor AGM is extremely disloyal to cars without corresponding option and small engine (1.5 – 1.8 liters), yes also with periodic downtime as unnecessary. It is connected with the fact that the accelerated return of current will provoke a fast discharge battery, so it’s likely that after a short a period of time will require its removal and charging from the device. In addition to that, high cost does not play into the ordinary to the consumer. Therefore, strictly limited in application, it takes the fifth line of our rating.
- powerful enough element that can give away in a short time large volumes of current;
- quickly perceives charging, which is good for cars, working with the “start / stop” system;
- compact overall dimensions.
- there is an accelerated decrease in capacity under load;
- high price.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.