Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Non-freezing for cars is the subject of a huge number of ongoing disputes, flaring up either against the background of falsification, then with an experimental comparison of a number of “popular” models. One way or another, but this liquid is designed to clean the windshields from dirt, ice and snow, even in low temperatures. We have compiled for you a rating of the best anti-freeze agents, the consumer opinion of which unanimously coincided with the high ratings from the segment experts.
- How to choose an anti-freeze
- Rating of the best anti-freeze
- The best antifreeze liquids in terms of price-quality ratio
- LIQUI MOLY ANTIFROST Scheiben-Frostschutz, 4L (-27 ° C)
- Fin tippa Premium, 4L (-27 ° C)
- MOTUL Vision Black Currant (Black currant)
- Sapfire windshield washer
- CoolStream (-25 ° C)
- Hi-Gear Radar (-27 ° C)
- PINGO (-20 ° C)
- FINKA (-10 ° C)
- The best concentrates of non-freezing liquids
- HI-GEAR (-50 ° C)
- LAVR Anti ice concentrate (-80 ° C)
- The best inexpensive anti-freeze
- Net mile (-20 ° C)
- Siberia (-30 ° C)
How to choose an anti-freeze
The choice of anti-freeze for cars does not require special knowledge from the consumer about the course of chemical processes or the manufacturing process, resting only on observation and a small number of characteristic features. In general, in order to choose this type of anti-freeze, it is enough to pay attention to the following aspects:
- Foaming. An important indicator that clearly demonstrates the quality of the anti-freeze liquid in the canister. When shaken, a quality product gives a moderate portion of stable foam, and any deviation (whether it is abundant foaming or the actual absence) is likely to indicate a fake.
- Transparency and no sediment. Another important quality indicator, which can be determined visually directly during the selection process. The absence of any impurity elements that precipitated, and the transparency of the liquid, indicates the high quality of the composition. The presence of a sandy or flocculent sediment, in turn, indicates the occurrence of chemical reactions in the liquid caused by the introduction of additional reagents into the composition. This should not be the case with a certified product.
- Smell. This indicator is determined already at the stage of use, but with no less informativeness it can “tell” a lot of interesting things about the liquid. First of all, about the presence or absence of methanol, a technical alcohol with aggressive cleaning properties. A good anti-freeze should have a delicate aroma, which can only be neutralized in full by a high concentration of alcohol in the composition. If the smell is completely absent, be sure – this is a fake product that has not passed any checks for compliance with quality standards in the Russian Federation.
- Appearance component. We strongly recommend paying attention to such indirect signs as the appearance of the bottle in general and the label in particular. The presence of streaks, defects in the cover, partial or complete tearing of the label with a high degree of probability indicates the second-class quality of anti-freeze.
- Information on the label. Very often non-freezing products appear on the domestic market, the labels of which carry a minimum of “semantic meaning” – from the obligatory, it can only indicate the date of manufacture (and even then not always). The label of a reliable product contains information on the composition of the product, its manufacturer (with the obligatory indication of the address for circulation), the technical part (GOST, TU, etc.), as well as the date of manufacture and the batch number.
- Cost. An especially important nuance of non-freezing, directly showing the amount of alcohol contained in it. Accordingly, the more active ingredient in the composition, the more expensive the product will be. You should also not be surprised at the disgusting work of non-freezing in the cold if the purchase is cheap: without the required amount of alcohol, the impurity “water” can turn into ice gruel already at -5 degrees Celsius.
- Freezing temperature. A key anti-freeze parameter used by dishonest manufacturers as a marketing ploy. It very often happens that at the stage of release from production, mediocre companies overestimate the performance of non-freezing and sometimes this overestimate is a good 7-10 degrees Celsius. On the contrary, the recognized pillars of the segment work: non-freezing of such companies often surprises consumers in the form of additional degrees to the freezing limit.
Rating of the best anti-freeze
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best antifreeze liquids in terms of price-quality ratio||1||LIQUI MOLY ANTIFROST Scheiben-Frostschutz , 4L (-27 ° C)||505 RUB|
|2||Fin tippa Premium, 4L (-27 ° C)||RUB 290|
|3||MOTUL Vision Black Currant (Black currant)||437 r|
|4||Sapfire windshield washer||168 RUB|
|5||CoolStream (-25 ° C)||384 r|
|6||Hi-Gear Radar (-27 ° C)||RUB 512|
|7||PINGO (-20 ° C)||377 r|
|8||FINKA (-10 ° C)||420 RUB|
|The best concentrates of non-freezing liquids||1||HI-GEAR (-50 ° C)||192 RUB|
|2||LAVR Anti ice concentrate (-80 ° C)||RUB 290|
|The best inexpensive anti-freeze||1||Net mile (-20 ° C)||RUB 350|
|2||Siberia (-30 ° C)||RUB 185|
The best antifreeze liquids in terms of price-quality ratio
LIQUI MOLY ANTIFROST Scheiben-Frostschutz, 4L (-27 ° C)
The product of German production is one of the clear examples of high quality due to the delicacy of the effect on certain groups of materials and the temperature of the onset of crystallization. Surprisingly, even those batches that are produced in a subsidiary of Liqui Moly (located in Obninsk) have increased resistance to freezing (higher than stated by 4-6 degrees Celsius). This is due to the use of high-quality components of domestic production and step-by-step manufacturing control with the final withdrawal of a sample to analyze the composition of the final product.
Another undeniable quality of LIQUI MOLY ANTIFROST Scheiben-Frostschutz is its non-aggressiveness towards polycarbonate plastic, and therefore it can also be used as a washer for headlights. Of the indirect advantages, one can note a pleasant smell, which indicates a moderate alcohol content. This is an excellent representative of its price segment, worthy of occupying the leading line of the rating of the best.
- the freezing point is much lower than the declared one (the crystallization process starts at -31 … -33 degrees Celsius);
- persistent aroma, not drowned out by alcohol;
- compliance with European quality standards;
- non-corrosive when applied to cleaning plastic products.
- not found.
Fin tippa Premium, 4L (-27 ° C)
Excellent anti-freeze in soft packaging, the temperature regime of which is fully consistent with the declared one. 'Premium' is a logical continuation of the Fin tippa line of non-freezers for use in cold climates, which contain a large number of cleaning additives. It has a mild pleasant aroma, not masked by a huge concentration of alcohol, which is noted as a positive trait for consumers.
According to Fin Tippa's experts, 'Premium' is one of those anti-freeze agents that can be used both as a glass washer and to keep polycarbonate plastics clean, including car headlights. As for the above-mentioned temperature indicators, here the crystallization of the liquid begins strictly at -27 degrees Celsius. This confirms not only high quality (available at a low price), but also complete order with internal production control, which is so lacking in other domestic firms.
- freezing of the liquid occurs exactly at the declared temperature;
- safety for plastic products;
- good indicators of consistency, odor;
- the actual absence of defective products in the line.
- not found.
MOTUL Vision Black Currant (Black currant)
Good anti-freeze from the French company Motul, known primarily for its achievements in the development of lubricating and cooling fluids for internal combustion engines. Vision Black Currant is an alcohol-based, ready-to-use formulation with a pronounced degreasing and cleansing effect. It is produced mainly in Russia, but uses fragrances supplied from the head office of the corporation.
The crystallization temperature of this anti-freeze is -22 degrees Celsius, which is several points more than the indicator stated on the label. Despite a very noticeable increase, the use of Vision Black Currant in regions with a very harsh climate will not work fully, as indicated by consumer reviews. Its optimum is a temperate continental climate with rather warm winters, during which the air temperature rarely drops below -20 degrees Celsius.
- the actual crystallization temperature is lower than the declared one;
- high-quality French fragrances (blackcurrant flavors) in the composition;
- chemically neutral composition (8.2 pH), suitable for headlight washer systems.
- not the highest baseline crystallization threshold.
Sapfire windshield washer
An interesting representative of the segment of mid-budget anti-freeze, whose washing properties are comparable to those of the products of the German company Liqui Moly. Has a pleasant aroma, which speaks of conscientious observance of the mixing format in clear proportions of alcohol and water base. In addition, the composition delicately affects the polycarbonate plastic, which is why it can be used as a headlight washer, and at the same time does not harm the plastic linings near the windshield.
The most curious thing in this story is that the production of Sapfire Windshield Washer is carried out by the company's division in the Tula region. And knowing what result is most often obtained with such amalgamations, one can ascertain the fact of strict control over production by the head office. Perhaps the only, but weighty, criticism of this non-freezing liquid can be considered an overestimated freezing point. It is as much as five units higher than stated, which from time to time plunges users into a kind of resentment.
- low price;
- perfectly cleans polycarbonate plastic;
- optimal composition with a balance of alcohol and water base;
- widespread in the market.
- freezing point is 5 degrees Celsius higher than stated on the package.
CoolStream (-25 ° C)
The product is jointly developed by WIGO (Germany) and Technoform (Russia), which is distinguished by its directionality and the attendant high efficiency. The companies said that this is due to a special set of additives that are highly cleanable … but we suspect that this is the point.
The fact is that, according to consumer reviews, CoolStream -25 ° C has a very pungent odor, which can be achieved exclusively due to the high concentration in the alcohol composition. However, this product still cannot be classified as counterfeit: the manufacturer honestly conducted an independent examination to establish the compliance of the anti-freeze with the prescribed standards. And therefore, a very fast, but not the most standard in terms of cleanliness (leaves stains) impact is completely legal.
- a product of joint development of several leading companies in the industry;
- low required consumption for keeping the glasses clean;
- very fast action;
- additive components that effectively affect pollution.
- high alcohol content, and, as a result, a pungent odor;
- aggressiveness towards plastic.
Hi-Gear Radar (-27 ° C)
Non-freezing from the grand autochemistry Hi-Gear, whose advantage over its competitors is expressed in the peculiarities of the chemical composition. Radar is one of the few developments based on additive components that prevent liquids from crystallizing when exposed to low temperatures for a long time. In other words, at conditional -27 degrees Celsius, taken as the end point of the non-freezing temperature operating range, a period of thickening of the base begins with a partial (but not complete) deterioration of sprayability under pressure.
The positive effect of this 'trick' is obvious. First, the safety of the expansion tank is guaranteed in severe frost conditions, since the liquid does not freeze and, accordingly, has a negligible expansion coefficient. Secondly, the return of the anti-freeze to working condition takes a few minutes. All this determines the superiority of Hi-Gear Radar over competitors, but the fact of the highest cost in the segment speaks for itself.
- the presence in the composition of special additives that prevent the complete solidification of antifreeze liquid;
- excellent cleaning ability, can be used for plastic;
- preservation of a liquid consistency up to the indicated temperature;
- good organoleptic properties.
- high cost of the composition.
PINGO (-20 ° C)
Nominally a German budget-class anti-freeze, which is produced by the domestic PINGO division. It occupies a high place in the segment solely due to strict adherence to manufacturing technology, without attempts to deceive a sensitive consumer. It perfectly copes with dirt of any level of complexity, effectively removing them from glass at temperatures down to -22 degrees Celsius.
As an additional plus of PINGO anti-freeze, a very pleasant smell can be distinguished, due to a moderate concentration of alcohol as opposed to perfume. But the disadvantage according to the users' version, oddly enough, was the aggressiveness of the composition in relation to plastic parts, caused by the content of a large amount of chemically active additives. And the most negative thing in this situation is that the manufacturer does not bring this information to the fore, 'hiding' it in the wilds of small handwriting. Therefore, the use of this anti-freeze as a cleaner for headlights is strictly prohibited, but in other cases it is completely permissible.
- the declared freezing point is higher than the actual one;
- inadvertently pleasant flavor;
- low price for large volumes;
- moderate concentration of alcohol – the product does not leave streaks and perfectly removes dirt.
- destructive effect of chemically active additives on plastic parts;
- low solidification threshold.
FINKA (-10 ° C)
High-quality non-freeze with the promising name FINKA, the potential of which (ironically) is sufficient only for use in regions of Russia with a mild climate. The temperature indicators of this composition are strictly limited to -10 degrees Celsius, causing a low alcohol content and pleasant organoleptic properties (such as smell, safety for the skin, etc.). In addition, an insignificant amount of neutralizing substances is used in the liquid, which are not capable of harming the plastic, and therefore it can be used in headlight washers.
Users, in general, approve of the choice of FINKA as an anti-freeze for cars, noting its delicacy in relation to the washer system, paintwork (in case of aerosol spraying) and plastics. However, it is quite predictable that the inability to work in the conditions of the Siberian winter and the northern regions is attributed to the key disadvantages.
- the lowest price in the segment;
- acceptable workmanship;
- the safety of the composition for human skin, as well as for the paintwork of cars and plastic elements of the body.
- extremely narrow range of operating temperatures.
The best concentrates of non-freezing liquids
HI-GEAR (-50 ° C)
A special concentrate of antifreeze liquid from the already mentioned Hi-Gear company, which got into the rating due to its compliance with all the requirements of international quality standards and the requests of a wide consumer circle. In undiluted form, the composition is capable of working at air temperatures down to -50 degrees Celsius, providing instant ice from glass due to additives from chemically active components. In turn, in order to obtain an anti-freeze, solidifying at -30 degrees, it is necessary to mix water and concentrate in a 1: 2 ratio.
The most remarkable nuance in this case was voiced by a group of experts who carefully analyzed the mechanism of action of Hi-Gear concentrate in several experimental mixtures. It turned out that, regardless of the 'strength' of the guidance, the anti-freeze remains absolutely safe for plastic, rubber and paintwork.
- compliance of the concentrate with world quality standards;
- optimal cost level;
- absolute safety for any surfaces of the car body (up to the places of paint chips and bare metal);
- in its original form it can withstand frosts down to -50 degrees Celsius.
- not detected.
LAVR Anti ice concentrate (-80 ° C)
LAVR Anti ice concentrate is the most highly concentrated non-freezing liquid, the composition of which has perfect fluidity even at -80 degrees Celsius. True, the manufacturer himself puts quite serious restrictions on it, recommending to dilute portions to enter the range of -10 … -35 degrees. As the main additional components in this liquid, there are cleaning additives, the action of which does not harm either the paintwork or any plastic products (even cheap ones, which are more likely to burst in the cold).
Tests carried out by independent experts have shown that the recommended concentration, capable of withstanding up to -35 degrees of frost, is an act of a competent balance between consumption and cost. A pleasant addition to the properties is the fact that, thanks to special components, the composition does not crystallize, but thickens, protecting the tank and the system from destruction. The only negative factor noticed by consumers was a pungent alcoholic smell, which slightly erodes the general complementary idea of non-freezing.
- low cost;
- does not harm plastic, rubber, paintwork;
- the highest range of permissible operating temperatures in concentrated form;
- when frozen, it does not crystallize, but thickens, losing its ability to spray.
- unpleasant pungent odor.
The best inexpensive anti-freeze
Net mile (-20 ° C)
A budgetary anti-freeze solution of purely domestic production, providing adequate cleaning functions without claims to compete with the pillars of the market. It copes well with removing ice from glass, simultaneously getting rid of traces of dirt without streaks. Despite the rather modest manufacturing costs, there is a substance in the liquid that does not allow the composition to freeze in order to avoid the destruction of the tank and the entire washing system as a whole. Instead, the anti-freeze acquires a gel-like (viscous) consistency with a low coefficient of expansion.
The main problem of the 'Pure Mile' is non-compliance with the set temperature regimes. Instead of -20, anitfreeze can barely withstand -16 degrees Celsius, hardening to the point of impossibility of spraying. Due to serious operational limitations, it will be inappropriate to use it in regions with severe winters.
- low expansion coefficient and complete safety for the washer system;
- good washing ability;
- low cost;
- delicate in relation to plastic.
- the real pour point is 4 degrees higher than the declared one.
Siberia (-30 ° C)
Perhaps the most inexpensive anti-freeze option for a car with the necessary set of performance characteristics. Differs in a gentle action in relation to the paintwork, but at the same time it removes stains and greasy stains from glass well, which is dictated by the content of a minimum of detergent components.
As with any other cheap product, keeping Siberia's temperature limits was the last concern of manufacturers. With the prescribed -30 on the label, in real life the crystallization of the washer occurs already at -24 degrees Celsius, which, with a rather large stretch, allows the composition to be used in severe winters. In addition, it should be noted the aggressiveness of the components in relation to plastic, which is why consumers often have cases of damage to linings and other polymer consumables. If we ignore all the secondary functions, then Siberia is a worthy representative of the budget segment with manners for a place in the ranking of the best.
- satisfactory washing functions;
- does not harm the paintwork of the body;
- neutral smell;
- very low price.
- extremely aggressive to plastic;
- freezing point 6 points higher than prescribed.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.