Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
Brake fluid is an important attribute of the brake system. allowing her to fulfill her primary function. She must possess corrosion resistance properties to protect elements brake line against rust as well as high temperature boil to get better responsiveness of the brake pedal.
Since this technical composition is necessary for all cars, and the question of his choice in the current state of the market is very difficult, the magazine prepared a rating of 11 of the best silicone brake fluids and glycol types selected based on user ratings and experts.
- How to choose brake fluid
- Rating of the best brake fluids
- Best Silicone Brake Fluids
- Eurol Brakefluid DOT 5 silicone (1 L)
- TRW / Lucas PFB125 DOT 5 (0.25 L)
- The best glycol brake fluids
- Castrol React Performance DOT 4
- TOTAL HBF DOT 4
- MOTUL DOT 3&4 Brake Fluid
- Liqui Moly Bremsenflussigkeit SL6 DOT-4
- TCL DOT4
- Valvoline BRAKEFLUID DOT 4
- MOBIL Brake Fluid DOT 4
- RosDOT 4
- Sintec SUPER DOT 4
How to choose brake fluid
When choosing a brake fluid, it is extremely important to focus on it DOT classification. The category of norms includes following indicators:
- boiling point – the point at which the braking the liquid will begin to evaporate actively, creating a vapor lock and reducing braking performance. There are two boiling points: “Dry” liquid, without water content, and “moistened”, water in which is at the level of 3.5%;
- compatibility with gaskets – parameter dependent acid-base balance of brake fluid. If given the indicator is below 7, then the liquid will be aggressive act on steel, if more than 12 – on non-ferrous metals. So thus, ideal values range from 7 to 11.5 pH – always pay attention to it.
- resistance to freezing is a very important indicator the operation of the brake fluid, which determines whether to use it in low temperature conditions. Look at the viscosity parameter, which is measured at -40 ° C: the response depends on it anti-lock braking system (ABS) and traction control on Wheeled (TSC), and the smooth operation of the electronic system motion control (ESP).
- anticorrosion properties – parameter, quantitatively track which at the level of a simple buyer practically impossible. Inhibitors are added to each brake fluid. which inhibit its oxidative activity throughout term of operation. Inhibitors come with active additives, whose task is expressed in ensuring the stability of the composition at various influences: from temperature to impurity. If such there will not be enough elements in the fluid, the brake system is faster will become worthless.
Having dealt with the main provisions of the norms, we denote the 5 main Classifications of brake fluids available on the market:
- DOT 3 – a liquid of high oxidative activity, created on a glycol basis. Boiling point at 220 ° С and 150 ° С for “dry” and “moistened” liquids respectively. Recommended for use on slow cars with drum brakes, or with a front pair disc brakes.
- DOT 4 is the most common brake fluid widely used on modern high-speed cars with disc brakes. Has a standard package of additives and inhibitors corrosion, due to which it serves for a long time and boils at 240 and 160 ° С (for “dry” and “moistened” liquids). Average life: 2 years.
- DOT 4+ – a modified “four”, with more high temperature indicators (260 and 180 ° C). According to other standards differences are minimal.
- DOT 5 – silicone brake fluids used in mainly on sports equipment where the brakes work under increased loads. Very corrosion resistant stability and boil at 2800 and 1800 ° C. According to rumors, intervals replacements can reach 5 years.
- DOT 5.1 – despite the promising title data brake fluids have nothing to do with the “five”. Are modified DOT 4+ modification with higher temperature performance and stability. Serve for 2 years.
Rating of the best brake fluids
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best Silicone Brake Fluids||1||Eurol Brakefluid DOT 5 silicone (1 L)||2 972 rub.|
|2||TRW / Lucas PFB125 DOT 5 (0.25 L)||1 011 rub.|
|The best glycol brake fluids||1||Castrol React Performance DOT 4||774 r|
|2||TOTAL HBF DOT 4||270 rub|
|3||MOTUL DOT 3&4 Brake Fluid||520 rub|
|4||Liqui Moly Bremsenflussigkeit SL6 DOT-4||648 RUB|
|5||TCL DOT4||450 rub|
|6||Valvoline BRAKEFLUID DOT 4||634 rub|
|7||MOBIL Brake Fluid DOT 4||319 rub|
|8||RosDOT 4||350 rub|
|9||Sintec SUPER DOT 4||255 rub|
Best Silicone Brake Fluids
Eurol Brakefluid DOT 5 silicone (1 L)
The main difference between Eurol Brakefluid DOT 5 and its direct competitor is an abundance of supported vehicles, as well as in a longer preservation of work functions as they develop main resource. Starting temperature range operation ranges from -40 to 260 ° C, and every year gradually tapers to -30 and 180 ° C, respectively. First two season silicone base is completely immune to accumulation moisture, however subsequent mechanisms of thermal decomposition of matter allow water to be absorbed.
Eurol Brakefluid DOT 5 is highly recommended. not only in cars, but also in sports bikes, and even choppers like Harley Davidson. Moreover, the fact of introducing restrictions on Citroen’s car braking systems are even a bit shocking … therefore, drivers of “Christmas trees”, you are warned in advance. The cost of one liter jar of brake fluid is extremely high (especially for compared to glycol formulations), however protection for the next 5 Your transport is guaranteed for years.
- duration of use (5 years);
- DOT 5 standard feature set (excluding dry boiling point);
- universality: the ability to fill in brake systems sports cars, sportbikes and choppers Harley Davidson.
- extremely high price.
TRW / Lucas PFB125 DOT 5 (0.25 L)
Silicone-based brake fluid marketed in very small volumes. TRW / Lucas PFB125 DOT 5 Not Too widespread in Russia, which is why many users order compositions from catalogs with international supplies. The “dry” boiling point here is 280 ° C, which is the best indicator in the category and meets the requirements DOT 5 standards.
Why second place, you ask? The fact is that TRW / Lucas PFB125 DOT 5 is not stable during production resource. Indicators begin to fall seriously after the first six months from the start of use, and well, if by its results (4 years) the boiling of the liquid will occur at 160 ° C. Likely, the reason for this is falsification – cheap counterfeit goods in small quantities imported from China. Distinguish fake from the original on the spot is not always possible, but by protecting Lucas containers, alas, not famous.
- nominal values exactly match standards;
- can be used in all cars (without exceptions).
- mediocre stability (may vary greatly place of acquisition).
The best glycol brake fluids
Castrol React Performance DOT 4
Castrol React Performance DOT 4 – brake fluid based on polyalkylene glycol ethers with the addition of boron. Such a unique choice is due to the fact that boron helps maintain a sufficiently high boiling point even after absorption of water over time – “moistened” boils liquid at 180 ° C. This is the best indicator among all glycol samples, which makes it possible to use one pouring over a long period of time (more than 2 years).
Otherwise, Castrol React Performance DOT 4 acts as standard composition, the viscosity of which “out of the box” is equal to 1200 mm2 / s – exactly as much as established by the standards. The acid-base environment also favors a safe application, amounting to 7.2 pH. Among the shortcomings can be noted that the high cost characteristic of all products of the company Castrol.
- optimal kinematic viscosity of the composition at low temperature (in accordance with the standard);
- an additive in the form of boron, which increases the protective functions of the liquid, and also not allowing a critical drop in temperature boiling;
- favorable hydrogen number – chemically neutral composition.
- high price.
TOTAL HBF DOT 4
Fully synthetic TOTAL HBF DOT 4 liquid in многом походит на MOTUL DOT 3&4 Brake Fluid, однакоThe effective difference lies in only two working aspects. Firstly, we are talking about the quantitative reserve of the additive package: in In this case, it is designed to absorb high loads on brake system, which cause increased heat, and difficulties in maintaining the stability of the composition. This conclusion was made not only by laboratory examination, but also by after the test deadlines users test on practice.
Secondly, TOTAL HBF DOT 4 is best suited for use in cold regions, since its freezing temperature was -51 ° C. In this case, the boiling index remained in the region of 260 ° С “for dry ”and 160 ° C when absorbing water. Last and foremost consumer criterion: this liquid is simply cheaper than French MOTUL. So, in the aggregate of the price and quality of its competitors simply not.
- The optimum ratio of price and quality;
- boiling and viscosity indicators are part of tolerance standards;
- freezing temperature: -51 ° C;
- enlarged package of synthetic additives.
- not found.
MOTUL DOT 3&4 Brake Fluid
The third line of the rating goes to the MOTUL DOT brake fluid 3&4 Brake Fluid, выполненной на синтетической полигликолевойbasis. It is completely neutral to the seals used in brake systems, and also has a pronounced anti-corrosion component due to the presence of special molecular inhibitors. At the first pouring, the boiling point reaches 245 ° С – only 5 ° C higher than prescribed by the standard. After a year using and absorbing moisture, the boiling point drops to 165 ° C, also remaining within the acceptable range.
Как отмечают пользователи, MOTUL DOT 3&4 Brake Fluidshows good performance at low values temperatures, which is especially valuable for the northern regions of the country. The kinematic viscosity at -40 ° C here is 1350 mm2 / s, due to which complete freezing is possible only in case of even more severe frosts. The cost of the composition on the market is not the smallest (in comparison with other analogues), however it leveled by high French quality and lack of fakes.
- very high quality and compliance with the smallest aspects standards;
- flat performance throughout work;
- optimal for the northern regions of the country.
- high price.
Liqui Moly Bremsenflussigkeit SL6 DOT-4
An extremely complicated name hides a top representative brake fluids from Europe, going directly to the conveyors famous German automakers (Volkswagen, BMW, etc.). The main “chip” Bremsenflussigkeit SL6 DOT-4 – miscibility with any other brake fluids as there is no rejection at the component level is not available. The boiling point is “dry” and “Humidified” is at least 265 and 175 ° C, respectively, which means a large margin relative to the standard digits.
It is noteworthy that the pH in the series Liqui Moly Bremsenflussigkeit SL6 DOT-4 can vary from 7.0 to 8.5 – the spread is large enough, but still fits into the norm. However, the reasons associated with such a fluctuation of values: whether there is no clear setting for quantitative content of inhibitors, or any line failures. The rest of the brake fluid manifests itself extremely cool, up to the point that replacement periods can reach up to 3 years
- overestimated boiling in “dry” and “moistened” conditions;
- acceptable acid-base levels;
- stockpile of additives in case of intensification use of a car;
- 1800 mm2 / s kinematic viscosity at -40 ° C.
- pretty high price.
On the line above is the Japanese TCL brake fluid DOT4, which showed excellent results in intensive driving modes auto. Despite the low dry boiling indices – 230 ° С with normalized 240 – it interacts perfectly with the brake system, keeping it in its original form for several years old.
Using TCL DOT4 is best in conjunction with disk brakes, since only in this case the maximum efficiency without any nuances and shortcomings. Small errors in numbers are certified and approved by a number of international standards such as Japanese JIS K 2233 and American BF-4, SAE J 1704 FMVSS. It is noteworthy that Europe did not miss the liquid, however, in Russia, especially in its Asian part, the original cans can be obtained.
- very high stability of the composition;
- high quality, causing a fairly large price;
- the opportunity to purchase in two volumes: 0.33 and 1.0 liter;
- ideal work in brake systems with disk brakes.
- boiling point lower than prescribed by the standard.
Valvoline BRAKEFLUID DOT 4
Dutch company Valvoline cannot boast big famous in Russia, however, BRAKEFLUID DOT 4 brake fluid earned a dose of praise and recognition from even the most demanding domestic users. The secret to her success is extremely simple: for sure following the requirements of the standard without much desire “Skip” the bar for a beautiful figure. Boiling point “of box ”amounted to 252 ° C, and the viscosity was limited to 1100 mm2 / s. It is noteworthy that the complete crystallization of the liquid occurs at -41 ° C – the Dutch managed to maintain that bar, at which technical fluid can be successfully applied in cold climatic zones of the country.
When making a purchase of Valvoline BRAKEFLUID DOT 4, you should understand that this brake fluid is designed for use in intensive modes – this is what is reflected in slightly increased the price. In other words, the braking system of a car with its moderate operation will be reliably protected throughout all 2 years, which are recommended as a replacement interval.
- excellent temperature and viscosity indicators;
- full crystallization occurs only at -41 ° C, which makes it possible to use liquid in cold climate
- high levels of active additives and corrosion inhibitors – the liquid is prepared for intensive use;
- reasonable level of cost;
- lack of counterfeit in the market.
- not found.
MOBIL Brake Fluid DOT 4
On the domestic market, MOBIL Brake Fluid DOT 4 recommended good enough, and if it weren’t for the problems with falsification, could rise to the highest places in our ranking. Its main performance is very good: “out of the box” boiling point is 265 ° C, and at 3.5% water content – 160 ° C. Sumptuously, especially considering that the original qualities are preserved very long. The viscosity of MOBIL Brake Fluid DOT 4 at -40 ° C is 1300 mm2 / s, and for this indicator, the liquid is excellent for use in cold regions.
However, the key positive characteristic of this composition lies in a perfect balance of neutrality – an indicator acid-base environment is 9.1 pH, which goes directly to middle of the allowed interval. In the end, we get excellent brake fluid with very good performance parameters, with high stability and guaranteed life service for 2 years.
- fairly low price;
- high temperature performance, significantly superior DOT 4 standard requirements
- perfect acid-base balance;
- good viscosity conditions – the fluid is suitable for use in cold regions;
- “Honestly” fulfills 2 years.
- counterfeit is found on the market.
Against the background of its rivals in the category RosDOT – another product domestic production – it looks very decent, having high performance temperatures and viscosity. Boiling “dry” liquid occurs at 255 ° C (which exceeds the requirements of the norm by 15 ° C), and the viscosity at low temperatures does not fall below 1600 mm2 / s. Over the year, operational parameters, of course, decline, but also fall within the scope of generally accepted standards.
An extremely pleasant moment in buying RosDOT 4 is the factor low price, because of which users often prefer it expensive foreign counterparts. And what, the system works well, requires replacement once every couple of years, and if you want to play it safe, you can always add new brake fluid when overcoming half operational life.
- excellent protection against corrosion processes in the brake system
- satisfactory compatibility with black and color metals;
- boiling points in the “dry” and “wet” states overlap the requirements of the standard;
- optimal viscosity at low temperatures;
- very competitive price.
- not found.
Sintec SUPER DOT 4
The ninth line of the rating goes to the cheapest brake glycol-based liquids Russian company Obninskorgsintez. Despite the low price Sintec SUPER DOT 4 shows acceptable performance, only slightly inferior to the ranking leaders. So, the temperature of the “dry” boil is at the optimum mark of 240 ° C, and if present in the composition water boiling occurs at 155 ° C. It works well and viscosity parameter: at -40 ° C it is 1360 mm2 / s, providing timely brake response.
The main disadvantage of Sintec SUPER DOT 4 is lowered fluid stability over the entire life cycle: the lack of sufficient additives and inhibitors. This leads to reduced drain intervals. or, if ignored, to more serious consequences.
- the cheapest composition in the segment;
- good temperature and viscosity with fresh fill;
- prevalence in the domestic market.
- low stability in operation.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.