Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Anti-gravel is a viscous or liquid material based on polymers that, when solidified, forms an elastic shockproof coating that protects the main body color, sills, underbody and car arches from chipping and scratching when small rubble and gravel fly off. In the early stages of development, anti-gravel was widely used mainly for off-road vehicles operating in harsh road conditions. However, over time, when anticorrosive and noise-absorbing properties were added to the simple mechanical protection of the material, these compositions began to be used when driving on asphalt roads.
As an experienced consumer advisor and assistant, the magazine conducted its own market research and ranked the best anti-gravels for bodywork in two thematic categories. The main criteria for selecting products in the rating were expert opinions, consumer reviews with an assessment of efficiency, as well as price indicators and the degree of durability of protective layers.
- How to choose anti-gravel
- Rating of the best anti-gravels
- Best aerosol anti-gravel
- Liqui Moly 6109
- Body 950
- RUST STOP
- 3TON OF ANTIGRAVES
- The best anti-gravel spray gun
- NOVOL GRAVIT MS 600
- BODY 930
- Dinitrol 479
- BODY 900
How to choose anti-gravel
In general, the independent choice of anti-gravel does not pose a big problem for people with experience in working with this chemical agent. However, beginners can find themselves in a difficult situation associated with the selection of funds for their intended purpose or a set of associated protective functions. In this regard, the editorial board recommends paying attention to the following aspects:
- The degree of versatility. On this basis, all anti-gravels are divided into universal and, accordingly, special. The first are compounds that form a transparent film on the treated surface. They are designed for complex treatment of body parts even over paintwork. Special compounds are most often black, gray or white and are used for treating the underbody, wheel arches and sills. In some cases, if the color of the car matches the color of the anti-gravel, the whole body is treated with it. However, this is mainly the prerogative of used car owners, for whom such processing is the only real chance to give the body freshness and keep it from rapid destruction.
- Protection. Each anti-gravel must protect the elements of the car body from mechanical stress. But there are also special sets of additive components that are introduced into the composition to reduce the level of corrosion on the metal, or to protect materials from the effects of salts. Currently, a group of noise-insulating anti-gravels based on synthetic rubber, bitumen, rubber and polyurethane resins is also very popular. When purchasing, be sure to pay attention to the presence of the accompanying protective properties of the product.
- Application type. This aspect is at the heart of our rating, and is the most obvious parameter of all voiced. Application of anti-gravel can be done by spraying with an aerosol head (straight from the bottle) or with a special pneumatic gun, as well as by painting with a paint brush or roller. In the first case, it is possible to achieve a uniform distribution of the composition over the element being processed, thereby tightly controlling the flow rate. The second case, in turn, is widely used for painting sills and wheel arches, and is sharpened for a 'generous' application of the agent to provide better protection and sound insulation without fear of the amount of consumption. Choose the application method that is right for you.
- Texture. Quite a controversial issue in terms of selection, since in some cases the graininess of the coating gives a rougher, not devoid of beauty, appearance to the vehicle. However, most often anti-gravels with small and large grain size are used for processing plastic parts. But the 'smooth' means are often used to treat the body paint.
- Adhesion ability. The ability to adhesion depends on the possibility of further painting the processed part for anti-gravel. If you do not plan to paint such parts of the car, then your choice is not constrained by any framework. Otherwise, you will definitely need funds with good adhesion.
Rating of the best anti-gravels
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|Best aerosol anti-gravel||1||Liqui Moly 6109||RUB 970|
|2||Body 950||309 r|
|6||RUST STOP||213 r|
|7||3TON OF ANTIGRAVES||RUB 220|
|The best anti-gravel spray gun||1||NOVOL GRAVIT MS 600||RUB 400|
|2||BODY 930||424 r|
|3||Dinitrol 479||RUB 1,088|
|4||BODY 900||RUB 350|
Best aerosol anti-gravel
Liqui Moly 6109
German development based on polyurethane resins, with high resistance to various kinds of defects from adverse environmental conditions. It has one rather significant limitation – due to its presence on the market only in black it is suitable for treating the underside and wheel arches. It is not recommended to apply such a composition to the paintwork of the car body, as well as to paint this film after processing – there is a high probability of cracking of the elastic layers.
However, in a highly specialized manner, Liqui Moly 6109 is just perfect. The reason for this is both the stability of the resulting film and the ergonomic characteristics of the spray can. Due to the possibility of metered application, consumers benefit in terms of expense and money, although the very purchase of the composition entails quite serious (by the standards of auto chemistry) expenses. The anti-gravel is stable, it manifests itself not only as a damping layer that protects against impacts, but also as an anticorrosive layer.
- after application, the composition is very resistant to adverse environmental conditions;
- ergonomic spray bottle;
- low consumption;
- action is accompanied by slight foaming.
- high price;
- limited use (only for underbody and wheel arches).
A very popular rubber-based anti-gravel agent, which can be used both for treating body paintwork and for protecting underbody and arches. Available in three color options: black, white and gray to push the boundaries of applicability. The unique composition of Body 950 determines the manifestation of not only tread properties against mechanical damage, but also reliable protection of the body against corrosion, together with a slight soundproofing effect.
As practice shows, the use of this anti-gravel is mainly used by owners of used foreign cars. Typically, a thorough treatment of such bodies is followed by a fresh paint job, since the tread layer adheres very well to the alkyd base. An important advantage of Body 950 for users is the low price factor, which alone makes the composition the most attractive for purchase.
- excellent tread properties (against mechanical damage and corrosion foci);
- there is a soundproofing effect (for which the metal of the body is often processed with the composition from the inside);
- low price and widespread use of auto chemical goods in the retail chain;
- the possibility of application throughout the body.
- requires careful preparation of the surface before application;
- high consumption due to 'wateriness'.
The most important quality of anti-gravel from Hi-Gear is transparency, which makes it absolutely applicable even to painted car body parts. It is a very close resemblance to liquid rubber that envelops the contours of metal and plastic elements, acting as a kind of damper for everything that flies off the road along the way. In addition, the enveloping structure acts as a barrier to corrosion as it prevents the atmosphere and water from affecting uncoated metal areas.
Of course, it is worth recognizing the fact that Hi-Gear anti-gravel is a rather expensive tool, which is why a complete car treatment can cost a pretty penny. That is why both manufacturers and consumers in the overwhelming majority strongly recommend that they only process the lower parts of the body, where the probability of gravel flying off is much higher.
- transparency, which determines the versatility of the protective agent;
- has brightly pronounced anti-corrosion and damping mechanical shock functions;
- fast drying after processing;
- easy dismantling (in which the quality of the body paint layer plays an important role).
- very high price;
- several treatments are required to obtain a permanent coating.
The representative of the domestic association ZAO Elf Filling, which got into the rating due to satisfactory performance and adequate price. There is no talk of any versatility here, since the composition is not transparent and cannot be used for applying to the paintwork of bodies in all their color variety. The only exceptions are, perhaps, the colors black, gray and white, for which KERRY anti-gravels are produced.
During its existence, this tool has undergone many structural changes, since the manufacturer's experimental base allows for long-term research. In particular, in recent years KERRY has greatly added anti-corrosion protection in the component, giving, in fact, a double effect from the application. In addition, a successful decrease in the hardness of the formed layer can be distinguished, due to which the damping qualities of the coating have improved, and the ease of its dismantling after the resource is exhausted.
- optimal price;
- constantly modernized composition;
- ease of removing the layer after the resource is depleted;
- good protective properties against gravel flying and corrosion.
- requires careful preparation of the surface before application (cleaning with drying and degreasing);
- is currently distributed primarily in online stores.
Low-cost antigravel of domestic origin, produced in color and colorless versions for the possibility of processing the bottom of the car and the entire body. It has good adhesion, and therefore can be applied to absolutely any type of material, be it painted / bare metal or plastic. True, for high-quality processing of the elements, it is necessary to repeat the application process at least three times, gradually increasing the protective layer. In this regard, there is a problem with a high consumption: 520 milliliters of the substance, in an amicable way, is barely enough to spray on several body elements.
However, it is worth giving AstroHIM its due: the quality of the coating with sufficiently painstaking processing is in no way inferior to foreign counterparts, and the low cost largely compensates for the expense. The provision of corrosion protection with a parallel effect on the neutralization of already existing foci of rust can be singled out as a separate feature.
- available in color and colorless versions;
- provides reliable protection of bare metal against corrosion, neutralizes the action of shallow foci of rust;
- very low cost in comparison with main foreign competitors;
- good adhesion.
- high expense for quality processing.
Antigravel of Canadian origin, which entered the domestic market as a very effective curiosity of a premium scale. It is strikingly different from the bulk of competitors in that, nominally, it is a corrosion suppressant. However, the film formed during processing perfectly holds the impact of gravel and fine gravel, and the granular texture allows filling in the defective layers of the processed material, while simultaneously giving the surface a more solid appearance.
Possessing a set of inhibitors in its composition, RUST STOP preemptively displaces moisture from micropores, thereby suppressing the further development of foci and blocking them through the formation of a polymer film. It is noteworthy that the line of products is not limited to the universal composition, but offers consumers certain substances for the treatment of the bottom (more emphasis is placed on resisting salts), as well as hidden cavities (the penetrating ability of the liquid is increased). The representatives of the line are expensive, but they keep the premium quality brand convincingly.
- in parallel with protection against mechanical stress, it prevents the development and has a neutralizing effect on the centers of corrosion;
- grainy texture allows filling defects of processed materials;
- an abundance of funds in the product line (universal anti-gravel, for the bottom, for hidden cavities, etc.);
- very economical to apply.
- quite an expensive tool.
3TON OF ANTIGRAVES
Antigravel of Russian production, supplied to the market in vials of 520 and 1000 milliliters. Forms a colored (black, white or gray) coating, and therefore can be used mainly for treating wheel arches and underbody. Despite the fact that it has an integrated set of additives to suppress corrosion, it copes with their neutralization rather mediocre, providing only protection against gas exchange and moisture ingress into micropores (without affecting in any way the formed foci).
As noted by users, the 'sanding' of the body after treatment with '3TON' anti-gravel passes without a trace for the paintwork, which indicates the satisfactory performance of its main task. Good adhesion can also be attributed to the asset of the product, which allows painting over body elements after processing, which is especially valuable for owners of used, well-worn cars. Vials are inexpensive, require a high standard consumption, but are available in any auto chemical stores.
- good adhesion, which makes it possible to paint the body after the processing stage;
- the ability to choose the appropriate volume (520 or 100 milliliters);
- copes with the protection of the body from mechanical shock with gravel, sand and gravel.
- high expense of funds;
- mediocre corrosion protection.
The best anti-gravel spray gun
NOVOL GRAVIT MS 600
The first and most important quality of NOVOL GRAVIT MS 600 is huge packing volumes equal to 1.8 kilograms. In value terms, this anti-gravel is the best in the segment, even in comparison with the popular BODY products. The product is available on the market in three color variations (standard white, gray and black) and is intended for multi-layer treatment of the underbody, wheel arches and underbody.
It is also noteworthy that the spray gun can be attached directly to the NOVOL GRAVIT MS 600 cylinder, which the Polish manufacturers took care of first of all. To achieve the desired result, users recommend processing in at least three stages, gradually building up an elastic layer for a greater protective effect. This is not the best feature of the composition, especially considering that the anti-corrosion properties are rather poorly expressed here. However, it copes with the main goal, and the ratio of volume to price very strongly bribes the domestic consumer.
- the optimal ratio of the amount of funds to the market price;
- creation of an absolutely stable elastic layer that protects against most negative environmental factors;
- good adhesion with paint, which makes it possible to stain the formed layer;
- delicate and easy removal of the coating without traces.
- anticorrosive properties are less pronounced.
Like all anti-gravel products of the BODY company, the 930th composition is based on a derivative of bitumen and rubber, and therefore can be used exclusively for treating the underbody or wheel arches. Packaged in jars of 1-20 kilograms and is a thick, like mastic, mass that can be applied with a brush or paint roller. However, to reduce consumption and more even distribution, the composition can be diluted, but then you need to look not only for a container for liquid, but also a gun.
Unlike its direct competitor NOVOL GRAVIT MS 600, BODY 930 has a fine-grained structure that can be applied both to bare metal and (if desired) to paintwork. The latter, by the way, is typical for used car owners. Of the other positive features of the Greek composition, one can single out good properties of corrosion protection, and according to this indicator, the tool, as always, leaves all competitors out of work according to the consolidated rating.
- can be used both as a mastic and as a spray liquid;
- very high coefficient of coverage and, as a result, low consumption;
- rich assortment of packing volumes;
- excellent protection against corrosion and mechanical damage to the bottom and arches;
- good adhesion when applied over paintwork.
- cannot be painted over;
- available in black only.
Liquid anti-gravel based on synthetic rubber, which is a classic '3 in 1' composition that protects against corrosion and salt solutions, and forms a dense soundproofing layer under the wheel arches. It is very easy to apply on any coating, having adhesion enviable for most competitors. Chemically neutral, which favorably affects the safety of both the processed elements and the mating metal, plastic or paint surfaces.
Another positive feature of Dinitrol 479 is its exceptional cleanliness of application. The composition is not prone to dripping and the formation of drops, but at the same time it is quite easy to apply even with a simple paint brush. Its drying time (depending on the layer) is from 6 to 12 hours, and the thickness of the application (according to the recommendations of users) should not exceed 1500 micrometers, which can be checked with a thickness gauge. To all of the above, only one thing can be added: Dinitrol 479 was tested by the Academy of Sciences of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and the results it showed when driving on asphalt and a dirt road surpassed all, even bold, expectations.
- chemically neutral composition, safe for all groups of materials used;
- very good adhesion;
- provides sound insulation, protection against chips and corrosion;
- high results of experimental tests, trust from experts and users.
- Available exclusively in black.
Probably the most gentle composition of all presented in the category, applicable both for the treatment of the bottom and arches, and for applying to the outer layers of paintwork and plastic products. BODY 900 is a typical example of anti-gravel with a large amount of corrosion inhibitors, wax and synthetic resins, which, among other things, even out the faded color of a car, give it a shine and protect the metal from the formation and development of rust spots.
The colorless structure is universal, but it does not provide sound insulation (like the same Dinitrol). Which, however, does not in any way prevent it from performing its main function. The most attractive feature of BODY 900 for the consumer is the low price factor, thanks to which the product has gained popularity, incommensurably greater than the 930th composition from the same manufacturer. But, unfortunately, the action of this nominee in relation to competitors is less effective. Therefore, it is only the fourth line in the overall rating.
- the product is available in volumes from 1 to 5 liters;
- has a corrective effect on the color of the body paintwork;
- differs in versatility due to colorlessness;
- easily removed from treated surfaces as the resource depletes;
- supplies the market in a brownish, darkening color.
- less expressive, relative to competitors, action.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.