Review of the best according to the editorial board. On the selection criteria. This material is subjective and does not constitute advertising and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
The number of crossovers and SUVs on the roads of Russia continues to grow. This category of vehicles requires a special type of tire, which manufacturers usually label with a combination of three SUV letters. However, it is not worth focusing only on the marking, since not every rubber has the necessary set of technical characteristics. And they must take into account factors such as the vehicle's high center of gravity and off-road driving. After reading the recommendations of our experts, it will become easier to make the choice of summer tires for a crossover.
- Recommendations for choosing summer tires for a crossover
- Ranking of the best summer crossover tires
- MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV
- Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV
- Yokohama parada spec-x
- GOODYEAR EfficientGrip SUV
- Pirelli P Zero SUV
- Vredestein Ultrac Vorti
- Nokian Tires Hakka Black 2 SUV
- Dunlop Grandtrek PT3
- Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055
- Toyo Proxes CF2 SUV
Recommendations for choosing summer tires for a crossover
- Cost. A wide range of summer tires for off-road vehicles is presented on the Russian market. There are some very good models among them, but their price is too high for the average car enthusiast. Therefore, you should start from your budget, especially since in our rating there are worthy representatives of tires, both in the premium segment and in the economy class.
- Dimension. Although the models presented in the review are widely represented in the retail network, motorists in reviews complain about the lack of the required standard size. The most popular are the following sizes: 215/65 R16, 235/65 R17, 225/55 R18. Motorists whose crossovers ride on such tires are given the richest choice.
- Stability. One of the main differences between a crossover and a conventional station wagon is its high ground clearance. Because of this, the center of gravity is shifted upward, and the machine loses stability when performing sharp maneuvers. Therefore, you should choose tires taking into account their stability when passing high-speed corners or lane changes.
- Road grip. The weight of off-road vehicles is greater than that of most passenger cars. Therefore, when accelerating or decelerating, an improved grip of the rubber with the road surface is required. This is achieved in different ways, most often manufacturers make the rubber softer.
- Strength. Most crossover owners bought a car for driving on bad roads. Therefore, tires must be very durable to withstand bumps, potholes, curbs, rocks, etc. Particular attention should be paid to the sidewalls, as they are more likely to cause hernias and cuts.
- Passability. In order for the crossover to confidently overcome dirt, sand, as well as unexpectedly appeared snowdrifts, a mushy mass must be removed from the tread in a timely manner. For frequent off-road driving, preference should be given to tires with a directional tread pattern.
- All-seasonality. Not all motorists operate crossovers in the winter. Therefore, it makes no sense to buy another set of tires for single trips. Therefore, summer tires must have all-season performance. Such rubber is characterized by its softness, which remains stable even at low temperatures.
- Wear resistance. When buying summer tires, you should consider your riding style. With frequent acceleration and deceleration, it is better to give preference to wear-resistant models, even if they are inferior to competitors in other aspects. Otherwise, the service life will be limited to several years.
We've hand-picked the top 10 summer crossover tires. All of them are sold in the Russian retail network. When allocating seats, the opinion of the expert community and the reviews of domestic motorists were taken into account.
Ranking of the best summer crossover tires
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||rating|
|Ranking of the best summer crossover tires||1||MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV||5.0|
|2||Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV||4.9|
|3||Yokohama parada spec-x||4.8|
|4||GOODYEAR EfficientGrip SUV||4.7|
|5||Pirelli P Zero SUV||4.6|
|6||Vredestein Ultrac Vorti||4.5|
|7||Nokian Tires Hakka Black 2 SUV||4.4|
|8||Dunlop Grandtrek PT3||4.3|
|9||Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055||4.2|
|10||Toyo Proxes CF2 SUV||4.1|
MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV
The French MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV tires have an extended service life. The tires are characterized by a directional double-layer tread pattern that perfectly wicks water out of the contact patch. The manufacturer reinforced the frame with a double mesh, this step made it possible to evenly distribute the load. The experts praised the three-dimensional sipes, which increase the grip of rubber with a slippery surface. Given the softness of the tires, the car can be operated even on the first snow. The model is recognized as the winner of our rating.
Motorists praise tires for comfort, safety, versatility. The crossover handles well on wet roads, and the ride is quiet. The tires are not afraid of dirt roads or dirt. Disadvantages include accelerated wear.
- soft rubber;
- directional tread pattern;
- reinforced frame;
- low noise.
- accelerated wear.
Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV
The German Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV is at the top of our ranking for super-efficient braking. The developers managed to achieve a high level of adhesion of the tire to the road due to the unique formula of Black Chilli rubber. The secret to excellent grip lies in the instantaneous heating of the tread under load. Improves braking performance and special shoulder pattern. Experts note the noiselessness of the rubber, good handling, and disc protection.
Domestic motorists quite strictly assess the capabilities of German tires. Since the cost of rubber is high, users would like it to wear less quickly. In addition, after a few years, microcracks appear, through which air leaves the wheel.
- excellent handling;
- effective braking;
- high price;
- rapid wear.
Yokohama parada spec-x
Japanese Yokohama Parada Spec-X rubber has all the necessary parameters for safe driving on a crossover. The tires have a directional tread pattern that wears evenly. Thanks to their good grip, the tires allow you to accelerate quickly and brake effectively. On a wet road, rubber provides good handling due to the timely drainage of water from the contact patch. Experts note the softness of the tires, which makes it possible to operate the crossover in southern winter conditions.
The model receives a bronze in our rating for excellent driving properties. Users note an excellent combination of price and quality, the rubber holds the car well when cornering. Of the minuses, there is an increase in noise as the tires wear out.
- good driving properties;
- excellent handling.
- noise appears over time.
GOODYEAR EfficientGrip SUV
Many advanced developments have been introduced by German engineers and chemists in the GOODYEAR EfficientGrip SUV summer tires. International experts praised the performance of the tires, which is confirmed by numerous awards from various exhibitions and from reputable publications. The FuelSaving technology helped to reduce the rolling resistance coefficient and reduce weight. The inclusion of a silicon-containing polymer in the composition had a positive effect on the wear resistance of the tires. The lateral part of the tires has an increased strength thanks to the reinforced carcass.
Domestic motorists praise German rubber for its softness and cross-country ability. Tires demonstrate reliable grip on wet road surfaces, they are not afraid of collisions with curbs. Of the shortcomings, there is a deterioration in handling on a dirt road.
- durable sidewalls.
- poor handling on a dirt road.
Pirelli P Zero SUV
Italian Pirelli P Zero SUV tires have been developed for the most powerful SUVs and sports cars. The company has implemented a number of secret developments that make the tires unique. The tread has an asymmetric pattern, the external design for water drainage does not inspire confidence. But thanks to the technology, which has 9 patents, the tire effectively resists aquaplaning. To evenly distribute the load in the contact patch, the manufacturer carried out computer optimization. S-grooves are responsible for low noise levels, and three rigid ribs in the center of the tread provide excellent traction.
The fifth place in our rating is due to the very high price. Therefore, there are few fans of this Italian rubber in Russia.
- excellent handling;
- uniform tread wear;
- innovative technologies.
- high price.
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti
The Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires proved themselves worthy during the tests of the German Auto Bild magazine. The rubber from the Netherlands took the honorable second place, winning in such categories as lateral stability on wet asphalt and braking on dry surfaces. Experts also praised the tires for their low noise level, handling on dry and wet asphalt, braking on wet asphalt. Experts attributed resistance to aquaplaning and economy to weaknesses. The model is in the TOP-6 of our rating for value for money.
Russian motorists are pleased with the stability of the crossover, the excellent behavior of the car both in rain and heat. The disadvantages include rapid wear, the appearance of microcracks after several years of operation.
- stability on the road;
- good handling;
- effective braking;
- affordable price.
- low resistance to aquaplaning;
- rapid wear.
Nokian Tires Hakka Black 2 SUV
Finnish Nokian Tires Hakka Black 2 SUV tires are recognized as one of the best novelties of 2018. The tires are suitable for both urban crossovers and true off-road conquerors. The experts appreciated the quick adaptation of the tires to the road conditions. The manufacturer reinforced the sidewalls with aramid fiber, developed a special rubber compound that is highly resistant to punctures and cuts. Among the many advantages, motorists managed to find disadvantages. They did not allow the tires to take a higher place in the ranking.
First of all, users are unpleasantly surprised by the high noise level. Potential buyers are not happy with the high price either. But the durability of tires is used by motorists as an example to other manufacturers.
- strong sidewalls;
- wear resistance;
- efficient drainage of water.
- high price;
Dunlop Grandtrek PT3
British Dunlop Grandtrek PT3 tires have excellent maneuverability and directional stability. The experts highlighted the soft passing of irregularities, confident behavior on a clay road after rain. The key to decent tire parameters is the optimized tread pattern. Two pairs of wide circumferential grooves are responsible for the effective drainage of water from the contact patch. Good lateral grip during cornering is provided by a double stiffener in the center. To achieve an even distribution of pressure, the tires are rounded.
The main attractive factor for Russian motorists is the low price of rubber. Among the shortcomings of the model, users note a high noise level. The tires are in eighth place in the ranking.
- affordable price;
- excellent maneuverability;
- soft passage of irregularities;
- efficient drainage of water.
- high noise level.
Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055
When creating the summer tires Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055, the Japanese manufacturer has developed a new technology called Blue Earth. In accordance with it, the components for the preparation of the rubber mixture were selected. Due to this, it was possible to reduce the weight of the tires. The experts liked the tire's wear resistance, low noise level and affordable price. Successfully the Japanese engineers designed the tread pattern, it improved directional stability. A wide rib in the center of the tread with S-shaped notches is responsible for the dynamics.
Users in reviews praise the tires for their softness, ride comfort, low noise level, and an affordable price. The ninth place in the ranking is due to the increase in fuel consumption and pebbles getting stuck in the sipes.
- unique rubber compound;
- low price;
- wear resistance;
- good directional stability.
- increased fuel consumption;
- pebbles get stuck in the tread.
Toyo Proxes CF2 SUV
Another Japanese manufacturer is pursuing a competent pricing policy. Summer tires for crossovers Toyo Proxes CF2 SUV compete on equal terms with more eminent brands in Russia. The rubber has established itself as a strong midrange, the strengths of which are considered to be excellent handling and tread resistance to wear. At the same time, experts are surprised by the softness of the tires and the effective braking. These qualities are achieved due to the proprietary Nano Balance composition, which contains a lot of silica. But at low temperatures, noise appears, the rubber becomes hard.
Tires round out the top ten summer crossover tires. The last place in the rating is due to the weak sidewall. Some car owners complain that after driving fast (140 km / h), hernias appear on poor surfaces.
- acceptable price;
- does not notice the rut;
- good handling.
- afraid of low temperature;
- weak sidewalls.
Attention! This rating is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement and does not serve as a purchase guide. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.