Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
Spark plug – key element for gasoline engine internal combustion. They are designed to ignite the fuel mixture in combustion chambers (cylinders) and directly affect the efficiency the work of the main unit as part of the car. Is it worth talking about that the occurrence of any malfunction (be it education deposit on the electrode or an increase in the gap between the core and side contact) may result in one or more engine cylinders will shut down from work, or the car will not start up at all?
Today there are many varieties of spark plugs, and their a number of large and specialized companies. Decide on your own in this situation not easy, and expect effective help from full-time consultants The store should not be. Understanding user concerns, the team The magazine conducted its own study of the segment, and, based on ratings of thousands of users and competent specialists of this region, ranked 14 of the best candle manufacturers ignition. All rating nominees are divided by category geographical affiliation, and are the real leaders in to your competitive circle.
- How to choose a spark plug
- Which spark plugs are better: platinum or iridium?
- Rating of the best manufacturers of spark plugs
- Top European spark plug manufacturers
- Top Japanese spark plug manufacturers
- Top American Spark Plug Manufacturers
- The best domestic manufacturer of spark plugs
- Engels Plant
How to choose a spark plug
The choice of spark plugs is based on the definition of two key signs: the number of electrodes and the material of their manufacture.
From the point of view of the first criterion, all candles are divided into:
- single-electrode – a classic version of the execution, with which insulating ceramic case is completed with metal a glass with one side electrode (whose cross section for standard build is 2.5 millimeters). Spark in this case is extracted by the interaction of the above electrode with central, protruding slightly outside the housing. Benefits of such execution are simplicity and cheapness of the finished product, however, durability is poor.
- multi-electrode – candles with two or more side electrodes having their own geometry of the construction of the working part and locations of interacting elements. Despite the high cost one of their main advantages is durability, since the lateral There are many electrodes, and they wear out in turn. The main disadvantage it lies in the difficult ignition of the mixture, since the zone the spread of sparks is severely limited … by the presence of several side electrodes receiving a part of the generated discharge on themselves (therefore, it is very important to monitor the gaps between the core and contacts to prevent discharge attenuation).
According to the materials used for the manufacture of candles there are three species:
- nickels – the most primitive, cheap and reliable form spark plugs for cars of a wide consumer segment. The central electrode rod is made of nickel, possessing high temperature stability and hardenability. True, due to the increased diametric size (2.5 mm) flash quality is poor.
- platinum – candles that came to a wide consumer The market is straight from motor sport. With a smaller diameter central electrode (1.1 mm), they give a more powerful spark, which, in turn, provokes a volumetric flash. Besides Moreover, platinum candles have a much larger supply of working resource than level the high price of the kit.
- iridium – technically the most perfect candles, standard electrode diameter in which does not exceed 0.4 millimeter. Possess the largest margin of heat resistance, give most voluminous spark and actively exposed to all kinds of modifications to further improve workers characteristics.
Which spark plugs are better: platinum or iridium?
Despite the fact that iridium candles were developed later platinum and, in fact, are a recognized benchmark in everything segment, on the Internet, disputes over which of two species are still better. In order to close this question once and for all, we have compiled a visual comparison table, where all advantages and disadvantages of platinum and iridium spark plugs – the rest of the decision is entirely yours.
Type of candle
+ The resource of work is enough for 50 thousand kilometers run
+ Cheaper than iridium analogues
+ High resistance of candles to thermal corrosion
– The volume of the spark is an order of magnitude smaller than that of the iridium candles
– Platinum spraying tends to go off metal over time
+ Absolute immunity to leakage corrosion processes
+ Up to 100 thousand kilometers on one complete
+ Volume spark providing uniform ignition of fuel throughout the combustion chamber
+ High melting point
– High price
Rating of the best manufacturers of spark plugs
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||Rating|
|Top European spark plug manufacturers||1||Bosch||4.9|
|Top Japanese spark plug manufacturers||1||Denso||4.9|
|Top American Spark Plug Manufacturers||1||Champion||4.9|
|The best domestic manufacturer of spark plugs||1||Engels Plant||4.4|
Top European spark plug manufacturers
The world leader is the honorary leader of the rating. Bosch Corporation, whose business has affected manufacturing spark plugs for gasoline engines of cars, motor vehicles and even garden tools. The most important difference of this companies from others is to follow traditions, namely constant observance of the geometric proportions of the insulator and electrode part. However, here is a spot improvements such as changes in electrode material concentration (both lateral and central), alloying components, as well as playing with each other relative to a friend.
Judging by consumer reviews and seen in the catalogs, the main the mass of spark plugs from Bosch belongs to the budget segment. AND, most importantly, the concentration of fakes here is many times less than other well-known manufacturers. As one of representatives of the assortment can highlight Bosch iridium candle FR7LDC +, whose working life is 100 thousand kilometers. In addition, it significantly affects the performance power surge while reducing fuel consumption (minimized loss of unburned part of the mixture).
One step from the leader, the German firm Beru, loving experiment on the geometry of the working part of the spark plugs almost more than the Japanese Denso or the American Autolite. Russian consumers like it due to the huge selection suitable product, balanced prices and the novelty factor, which has a positive effect on working moments.
Beru is committed to research leveling engine flaws in terms of work, whether illiterate engineering or gradual wear and tear main nodes. In our opinion, this is the most correct approach, which and resulted in the appearance on the market of very interesting products. For example, the extremely popular four-electrode ULTRA-X79 candle with asymmetric arrangement of paired contacts relative to the common core. This geometry of the working part was recreated with the aim of improve stability under reduced voltage, for which two electrodes were moved relative to the central one. it allows to reduce breakdown resistance, as well as compensate for the lack of power. And such examples in Beru assortment, in fact, a lot …
Bronze in the dispute of European manufacturers goes to the famous Finwhale, the largest supplier of consumables for domestic cars. More consumers themselves candles from this company are loved by employees of service centers, recommending putting them under the hoods of not only VAZ cars, but also many other budget cars in Russia.
According to experts, the main competitive advantage of candles Finwhale – low price and high prevalence in the market together with low falsification. Maximum service life platinum samples (iridium available on the market infrequently) is 80 thousand kilometers, but in general the situation such that this figure is not very uniform. As the most popular candles here you can highlight running F508 and F706, since they are suitable for installation on VAZ models from 2106 to 2110. Performance is normal, there are no serious complaints, and in terms of costs they look much more logical than premium samples, say, from Brisk or NGK.
The Czech company Brisk takes the fourth line of the rating, being rated leader of the European market segment in terms of efficiency own development work. This is a company, work potential which is measured by thousands of models of spark plugs released, and also by constantly searching for the ideal formula for special cases picking engines. Naturally, it costs nothing to get confused in endless wilds of such diversity.
For several years now, the main newsmaker in the assortment of Brisk stands candle model LOR15LGS class Premium. Besides being in it is based on the design of a spark gap with four electrodes, made in the form of petals, each of them has an original location relative to the core. The effect of this configuration arrester is expressed in the fact that at rated voltage a spark makes a greater path along the insulator, providing high the probability of arson of the mixture with burnout at the maximum cylinder chamber volume. Such a candle is quite expensive however often used in German, Japanese and Korean cars (Mercedes, BMW, Honda, KIA, etc.), as well as in flagship models of AvtoVAZ.
Another French spark plug manufacturer, very popular in Europe. However, in the Russian market it know as a regular “changer” candles from Bosch or Czech Brisk There are really enough common features among them – you can immediately see that Valeo is trying to make a product according to the patterns of more famous companies, but it’s not always excellent. Most consumers pay attention to the unevenness of work and the presence of gaps when increase in speed, which is typical for the installation of candles “hot” start to forced engines.
Be that as it may, worthy samples among the assortment the French have enough products. For example, R76H11 – single-electrode candle with averaged parameters, giving a tangible gain in fuel and power savings compared to a number of analogues competitors. Optimal adjustment of the electrode gap gives consistently good sparking, which in turn affects on the combustion parameters of the fuel in the chamber, allowing you to spend less gasoline due to the notorious reduction in emission losses (and burnout in the exhaust manifold). Thus fuel gain up to 2.0%, as well as an increase in power.
A company that has long and confidently settled in the Russian market auto parts. Is a regular supplier of spark plugs on conveyors of well-known automakers (including VAZ), not forgetting, at the same time, to actively supply the retail market.
Over the years, SCT’s range of candles divided into four separate classes:
- Classic. Standard nickel samples with thin copper core suitable for all consumer vehicles. They are used in new generation engines, but can also be installed in pretty old foreign cars.
- Perfect. Longer candlestick models operation due to the characteristics of the electrode part. the end the central contact here is made in the form of a cone, which slightly affects the working conditions, but allows the candle self-cleaning from carbon deposits.
- Platin. A series of platinum candles with a working life margin of up to 100 thousand kilometers, designed to work with ordinary and forced engines. Delivered on premium conveyors VAG-groups, Lexus, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, but often found in engines of more common foreign cars.
- Tuning Special limited edition spark plug series for forced and turbocharged engines. Have elongated an arrester, allowing the mixture to be ignited exactly upon reaching the dead end piston in compression.
Let SCT and remain, for the most part, the player of the “second echelon, “but it deserves its place in the ranking unequivocally.
A little-known French spark plug company for assembly lines Renault and Peugeot, and gradually coming out beyond the market of one country. Eyquem Main Postulate – Work on quality, which is confirmed by each new development.
If the history of the company is pretty monotonous existence in the realities of the predominantly French segment, then with products are not so simple. By releasing a batch of candles at retail, Eyquem immediately won a small percentage of consumers, “pecking” at a low cost and acceptable performance. Perhaps the most prominent representatives of the company can be called RFC58LZ2E and RFN58LZ, the heating number of which is 17 (extreme case of “hot” spark plugs). In other words, oriented these candles are exclusively for the urban car segment without claims to sports. Nickel Alloy Electrodes of these models are treated with a special anti-burn compound, which prevents the appearance of defects on the metal. Thus, An increased working resource is achieved, and the external resemblance to next to the original (factory) candles also plays an important role. All these characteristics are generally inherent in other Eyquem products, therefore, the company is worthy of entering the ranking of the best.
Top Japanese spark plug manufacturers
Large engineering company, the foundation of which was in the post-war year 1949. It is one of the giants of the Japanese market spare parts and since 2017, in collaboration with Toyota and Mazda, is developing a full-fledged electric car. Which, however, is not cancels work on the release of spark plugs, which are traditionally for the company is divided into four groups:
- Standard. Ordinary small nickel doped candles the amount of copper to ensure better electrical passage discharge. As part of the line, the side electrodes are made in various cross-sections, but in recent years more and more common type with a U-neck. An example of such a candle is a model W20EPR-U.
- Platinum. Standard diameter platinum candles central electrode and the highest wear-resistant qualities. Thanks to the use of new technologies, they are characterized by survivability, and can carry (without loss in efficiency) up to 100 thousand kilometers of run. The representative of this group is known in consumer circles Denso Platinum Longlife.
- Iridium. Candles with a thin iridium electrode reinforced actions to ignite a denser spark and provide uniform combustion of fuel throughout the volume of the chamber. Very expensive, but they can last up to 130 thousand kilometers. Example – Denso Iridium IW20 used for cars on a natural gas.
- Twin tip. The recent development of the company, which allowed significantly reduce production costs without losing quality at a level iridium analogues. The uniqueness of the TT series candles lies in thinning of the side and central electrodes up to 1.5 millimeters. IN the material used is the same nickel. Ideally suitable for both liquefied gas engines and standard gasoline. Representative: Denso TT Q20TT.
But perhaps the most important merit of the Japanese company was making a special “grade” of candles for natural gas engines. It turned out that by the current moment the share of this market segment, NGK production accounts for 85-87%. Highlight as An example here is the NGK LPG Line No. 2 model, power gain at the use of which is an impressive 3%, coupled with the total increased stability.
The third line of the rating goes quite well-known on HKT domestic market spark plugs for which – the action, for the most part, is secondary. It is connected before of all, with the fact that the Japanese grandee is interested in less competitive environment of diesel engines and, as a result, mass production of candles glow. However, a small amount can be found in the market. nickel or platinum candles for gasoline engines, moreover quite competitive price.
However, as consumers themselves note, cost is the only a really serious plus for HKT products. They can be used in as a transition kit whose long-term service life the run does not really matter. According to experts, even copying of factory candles here is made with small geometry deviations, which significantly affects the parameters engine operation (and not always for the better). Unfortunately, in Japan there is no other manufacturer able to make at least some impressive competition to the leaders of the segment (NGK and Denso) – unless the automobile grandees themselves, however, spare parts from they can hardly be found in retail.
Top American Spark Plug Manufacturers
The undisputed leader of the American spark plug segment, actively collaborating with a number of premium automakers and major concerns: Honda, Lexus, Jaguar, General Motors, etc. Constantly looking for ways to improve product performance, for which opened a whole unit for staffing research. One of Champion’s strongest designs is name the three-pin classic candle N9BYC4, the resource of which enough for 50-70 thousand kilometers. Exist in assortment and modified products in which nickel is combined with copper (specific melting point, as well as conductivity which is higher), which increases the service life of, for example, standard single-electrode candles several times.
According to experts, Champion has never been famous. the pursuit of new technologies, and from year to year has been limited “rolling in” nickel and very few platinum candles. However several years ago, the concept of competitor development pushed Americans forcing the pace of their own production and, in in particular, to the beginning of research to improve performance iridium candles. No impressive push of technology forward with the world has not yet seen their sides, but the trend is confident outlined.
The second line of the rating goes to the solid company Autolite, made a name for herself in the world of motorsport. Once special production unit, they were doing work research different types of candles in engines with different configurations parameters. After, on the basis of experimental data, deduced balanced indicators that the element should have filing a spark. Thus, the entire range of products from Autolite clearly divided into four groups:
- Copper – nickel candles with copper plating or thin copper the core of the central electrode;
- Platinum – like everyone else, a standard candle with platinum spraying available in various working configurations parts;
- Double Platinum – A Conceptually New Development Based on a larger fraction of platinum in the body of the central electrode. Provides more stable sparking and 20-30% more service life in relation to the Platinum series;
- Iridium XP – so far the extreme version of candles with iridium electrode, contributing to the most complete combustion of fuel in volume of the combustion chamber. Has a capacity of up to 100 thousand kilometers.
Autolite has been represented in the domestic market for a long time, but because of low popularity (they get mostly a narrow circle “inhabitants” of thematic forums) can not boast of the same sales volumes, as the leader of the ranking.
American Manufacturing Company wide range of spare parts for cars of more than 50 world stamps. Among the abundance of brake pads, belts, tensioners and various filters in their assortment there was a place and ordinary spark plugs. As practice shows, all marked ACDelco’s spark line range is nothing short of good An analogue of factory candles placed in a car at the assembly stage. Such an interesting conclusion came to consumers who by simple visual comparisons rated product similarity (for example, ACDelco 41602 is one of the copies of the Toyota candle 90919-01164).
In reality, everything turns out to be much simpler: this company is a subsidiary of Genetal Motors, which supplies parts for assembly lines of a number of grandees automotive industry (in particular, the same Toyota, Chevrolet (models Niva), Honda, etc.). If we talk about the resource and performance spark plugs, there’s nothing special to highlight here – the entire lineup, from nickel to iridium, works very predictably, withstanding required service life. ACDelco also tries actively modify the shape of the side electrodes, but in reality it does not carry no tangible improvements in itself.
The best domestic manufacturer of spark plugs
The first and only line of the rating in the Russian category spark plug manufacturers are Engels Plant, leading policy of creating high-quality analogues of foreign product. The main feature of the company is the cost: it is minimal, and looks profitable against a background of good performance quality and durability.
Experts note that Engels Plant does not focus on creating exceptionally simple single-electrode candles, making bet on multi-electrode models. Say something specific about the entire line is quite difficult, since each separately A sample of a candle has a number of distinctive features. For example, T17DVRM – a model with a nickel core and three side Standard class contacts. Provides accurate actuation and allows to save fuel (in comparison with single-electrode analogue) by an average of 1.7-2.1%. Factory mansion is the development of iridium spark plugs, whose working life sometimes reaches 90-100 thousand kilometers without the slightest complaints work. Such is the WR7DC +, the feature of which is the presence of a wedge-shaped recess along the length of the entire side electrode for ensure a better spread of sparks.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that the company is actively cooperating with AvtoVAZ, simultaneously supplying products to retail a market where it is extremely often purchased for used cars.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.