Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
In order to maintain order in our summer cottage, a chopper is needed. The unit will grind the roots, stems flowers, vine, knots and trunks of bushes, which will serve as a follow-up good fertilizer. For processing large volumes of branches in places where many trees were cut down, professional models are used. They reduce the size of the waste, which simplifies cleaning and transportation of garbage. To choose the right garden We prepared a rating of the best branch shredders. Overview product features and customer reviews will narrow your search and tell garden equipment for specific tasks.
- How to choose a garden shredder
- Rating of the best choppers
- The best electric wood shredders
- Viking GE 420 3 kW
- BOSCH AXT 25 TC 2.5 kW
- WOLF-Garten SDE 2800 EVO 2.8 kW
- Makita UD2500 2.5 kW
- AL-KO LH 2800 2.8 kW
- BOSCH AXT Rapid 2000 2 kW
- BISON ZIE-40-2500 2.5 kW
- PATRIOT PT SE24 2.4 kW
- Champion SH250 2.5 kW
- The best gasoline wood shredders
- MTD Rover 464 Q 7.5 KM
- CHAMPION SC6448 6.5 KM
- Viking GB 370 4.5 KM
- PATRIOT PT SB76 6.5 KM
How to choose a garden shredder
Just before the rating, we mention a number of parameters, on to consider when choosing a garden shredder branches:
- Type of food. There are electric and gasoline models. The former are easy to maintain and quieter, but depend on the length of the wire. The latter are more powerful and autonomous, but weigh more and work louder.
- Power. In electric models, it is written in kW, and in gasoline in horsepower. The indicator varies from 1.5 to 4 kW, or 3-8 hp respectively. Depends on the selected value thickness of breakable branches and speed of work.
- Knife system. It happens disk or milling. Disk knives are cheaper, but they can only cope with thin stems of flowers, leaves, bushes. They can always be removed and sharpened. Milling cutter will cut knots and branches with a diameter of up to 8 cm, but its replacement will cost expensive. There are choppers with a combined system, combining several types of knives.
- Weight. Gardening equipment weighs from 10 to 100 kg, which affects on the convenience of moving around the site and the possibility of transportation to a remote place.
- Equipment class. Shredders are divided into household, semi-professional and professional. Class defines duration of continuous work and opportunities for breaking
Rating of the best choppers
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price|
|The best electric wood shredders||1||Viking GE 420 3 kW||75 805 rub.|
|2||BOSCH AXT 25 TC 2.5 kW||RUB 28,729|
|3||WOLF-Garten SDE 2800 EVO 2.8 kW||20 540 rub.|
|4||Makita UD2500 2.5 kW||18 100 rub.|
|5||AL-KO LH 2800 2.8 kW||18 990 rub.|
|6||BOSCH AXT Rapid 2000 2 kW||15 800 rub.|
|7||BISON ZIE-40-2500 2.5 kW||8 670 rub.|
|8||PATRIOT PT SE24 2.4 kW||6 550 rub.|
|9||Champion SH250 2.5 kW||6 990 rub.|
|The best gasoline wood shredders||1||MTD Rover 464 Q 7.5 KM||80 900 rub.|
|2||CHAMPION SC6448 6.5 KM||40 200 rub.|
|3||Viking GB 370 4.5 KM||72 920 rub.|
|4||PATRIOT PT SB76 6.5 KM||61 990 rub.|
The best electric wood shredders
Electric shredders are lighter than fuel assemblies, they work quieter and do not emit harmful emissions into the atmosphere. Their indisputable the advantage is the lack of maintenance. But in terms of power they lose gasoline and are limited in range by length network wire. 380 V powered models are used permanently at enterprises related to timber processing. 220 V units perfectly proved in an economy and in summer residences.
Viking GE 420 3 kW
The first place in the ranking is occupied by goods from Austria. Chopper It has a power of 3 kW and develops speeds of up to 2800 per minute. At the model provides for the separation of the upper part of the body into two loading compartment. A funnel acceptance is formed at the top for bulk materials, and below it opens the tray for long branches. it simplifies work, making loading more convenient. It acts inside double system of knives, and the maximum diameter of the broken branches is 50 mm. The chopper is compact in size – height is 137 cm, so working with it is convenient, but finding a place for storage is not difficult.
We rated the chopper in the rating as the most powerful among semi-professional models. It is suitable for a large garden plot with many trees. Double knife system with powerful gear and second row of drives provides a long service life equipment and small wood cutting. Owners in reviews note chopper safety with One switch Click stopping the engine with one touch.
- two loading openings;
- high power
- grinds branches with a diameter of 50 mm;
- complete set of tools for disassembling and cleaning knives
- combined knife system.
- high price;
- the plastic case quickly loses sight from scratching with branches;
- there is no grass catcher at the exit (throws out the ground garbage in a bunch);
- weighs 53 kg – moving on a soft surface (grass, soil) difficult.
BOSCH AXT 25 TC 2.5 kW
In second place ranking is goods from a German company Bosch The chopper is endowed with a power of 2500 W and copes with branches with a diameter of 4.5 cm. The model moves around the site on two wheels. The operator has a D-shaped handle and control Panel. The loading of branches and leaves is carried out vertically, for which a large funnel is placed at the top. To garbage did not fly apart, the receiver box is integrated below to collect. Thanks to this, the workplace is always clean and lighter. remove waste material that owners like about reviews.
Our experts included the chopper in the rating of the best due to turbocharged system. 8 knives are parallel to each other, and their ends are connected by two rings. This design provides automatic tightening of branches, which increases safety operation. It also contributes to increased productivity – per hour, the chopper passes through itself up to 230 kg of branches. it the best option for grinding material when cleaning land for the construction of a private house.
- convenient control panel from the operator;
- wide loading funnel;
- turbine grinding system;
- removable hopper – in case of breakage, you can buy a spare part;
- own feed system.
- protection in the form of a limit switch does not always work;
- high price;
- plastic case;
- grass and leaves simply crumple, does not grind, like a lawn mower;
- inner fork too deep.
WOLF-Garten SDE 2800 EVO 2.8 kW
The third place ranking is given to another German product, but from manufacturer Wolf-Garten. Direct chopper output branches are maintained in China at the brand’s manufacturing facilities. Unit has a power of 2.8 kW and is suitable for breaking trunks, 4.5 cm thick, reducing their size by 10 times. As cutting and the feed mechanism is a double knife made of solid steel. The blades are sharpened on both sides, which increases productivity. Under the engine compartment is located capacious grass catcher from high impact plastic. He has his own handle, so it is convenient to take out and transfer waste.
Our chopper experts liked the high U-shaped frame. Thanks to this design, even tall users will convenient to load branches without tilting. Control Panel chopper is also raised to the level of the belt, which simplifies access to keys and increases operational safety (for detecting and depressing the engine brake takes less time, unlike ranking leader with buttons below).
- the engine has overload protection;
- there is a mechanism for emergency engine stop;
- develops up to 2850 rpm;
- 45 l hard waste bin
- loud work with 104 dB noise;
- with a weight of 35 kg and small wheels, soft movement the soil is difficult;
- the disk has only two knives;
- a small funnel on top.
Makita UD2500 2.5 kW
Fourth place in the ranking is reserved for the Japanese model, which has inside a triple knife on a drum. Owners in reviews share that it is easy to sharpen – the process can be carried out at home as usual file. In order for branches to enter it correctly, additional clamping device made of aluminum. Motor power 2.5 kW allows you to grind the trunks, a thickness of 45 mm. Larger to get branches will not give a receiving hole. To take the trash a rigid grass catcher with a volume of 67 liters is provided, exceeding indicators of the above models.
According to our experts, the chopper has earned a place in the ranking for several reasons at once. It has wide wheels with rubber tread that prevents soft loading soil and facilitates transportation. Wire plug located under the hopper and handle, so the swinging branches do not the cable is accidentally pushed. If a lot of leaves hit the drum and he wedge, then reverse is provided for easy removal of blockage.
- convenient container for dumping contents into compost pit;
- there is an engine lock;
- at the exit, small barrels from branches – 1 cm in length;
- if the operator forgot to install the container, then the chopper will warn about this with a blinking indicator.
- container locks tightly close – you need to lubricate;
- unstable design – staggers when opening branches, length 2 m (you have to hold it with your hands);
- clogged by leaves and grass.
AL-KO LH 2800 2.8 kW
The fifth place in the ranking belongs to another German model. The chopper has an engine with a power of 2.8 kW and relates to semi-professional class. The maximum diameter of the grinded branches – 42 mm. The unit is equipped with a tubular frame and powerful wheels. for confident transportation in the garden area. Receiving funnel it is trimmed with shock-resistant plastic and the handle for transportation. The crushed materials are collected in a grass catcher, 48 liter capacity It has its own handle, convenient for removal container. Buyers in reviews praise the presence of reverse helping quickly clear the channel in case of blockage.
We included the chopper in the rating for the presence of a milling knife. Thanks to the powerful cutting gear, the device will last a long time. Plus this technology is the confident retention of branches, 150 cm long – the machine clamps the end and pulls it inward, which increases safety for the user.
- quiet work;
- attractive price;
- compact dimensions, convenient for storage;
- simple control panel;
- container with handle.
- It is delivered without a network wire;
- does not chop small pine cones;
- fraction size 4 cm – less does not work.
BOSCH AXT Rapid 2000 2 kW
This ranking place belongs to a compact branch grinder from Bosch brand. Rapid model name indicates use in special knife system, high strength. Carbon steel does not crease when faced with hard knots and retains for a long time pungency. Owners praise the product in reviews for such a thick knife from blued steel, which is easy to sharpen. The element is so durable that his resource is enough for 10 years. The chopper is equipped with a motor with power of 2 kW and cuts branches with a diameter of 35 mm. Design provides for the substitution of textile bags for garbage collection under the outlet. Since the chopper does not have a device tightening the branches, then a pusher is included in the kit to protect the operator’s hands.
According to experts, the chopper has earned a place in the ranking due to its weight is 11.5 kg. This is the best option for a woman or a very elderly person to easily remove the tops in the garden after season. The unit easily cuts not only dry shoots, but also juicy stalks of zucchini, cucumbers, cabbage leaves.
- the manufacturer gives a guarantee for 2 years;
- knives rotate at a speed of 3650 rpm;
- low electricity consumption;
- low weight – 11.5 kg;
- automatic stop when driving knives.
- the diameter of the branches is limited to 35 mm;
- the construction is poor when laying tall bushes;
- Does not like grass and leaves – quickly clogs and wedges.
BISON ZIE-40-2500 2.5 kW
In seventh place in the ranking is the chopper from domestic producer. This is a four-frame design fulcrum and rigid grass catcher. Thanks to electric the engine with a power of 2.5 kW will be able to grind branches, thick 4 cm. Inside there is a circular knife with double-sided sharpening. Such the system is not able to tighten the branches, therefore, to the device attached pusher handle to feed grass and small Shrubs for cutting elements. Container holds immediately 50 liters of crushed material.
Our experts put the chopper in the rating due to the low prices for a semi-professional model that is almost 5 times more affordable European goods. Features a garden shredder and light weight – 14 kg, which will be appreciated by housewives caring for the garden. Also in the design provides additional guides in the funnel, therefore long branches do not hang around, but purposefully served to the knives.
- 5 year product warranty;
- rotation speed 4050 rpm;
- Works much quieter than competitors – 95 dB;
- rubberized start key;
- additional guides in the funnel.
- emergency stop button hidden deep – it’s hard to reach out quickly;
- circular knife dulls quickly;
- allows up to 100 kg of branches per hour;
- clogged with fresh tops.
PATRIOT PT SE24 2.4 kW
The eighth place in the ranking is occupied by the American brand, but for a long time already manufactured in China. The chopper is made with an S-shaped a tubular frame at the top of which is a funnel and a handle for transportation. The electric motor has a capacity of 2.4 kW and passport characteristics the device is designed for branches with a diameter of 4 see. But buyers in the reviews warn that with frequent grinding such a thickness the shredder heats quickly and can gear bearing deteriorate. Optimum Operating Values are 2-3 cm. Inside the disk system is functioning, therefore the chopper is equipped with a pusher. When snap is not used, it can be attached to a special clip on the frame, so as not to lose.
We rated the product as one of the most affordable. But since it belongs to the household class, a shredder is suitable only for work on weekends in his country house. It’s a great choice for the care of a greenhouse with flowers or a greenhouse.
- pusher included;
- wheels with a high tread;
- there is a mount for the pusher on the frame when it is not needed;
- weight is 14 kg.
- heats up quickly – you need to give time to cool;
- at the exit the channel is narrowed, therefore it is often clogged;
- 4 cm thick trunk “relives”, but it’s better to grind branches, section up to 2-3 cm.
Champion SH250 2.5 kW
In ninth place of the rating is another domestic chopper household class. Model assembly in China provides reasonable price. The garden unit is endowed with a power of 2.5 kW and cope with branches, 4 cm thick. But in the instructions is warned, then this diameter applies only to freshly chopped wood. The model has a convenient funnel and auxiliary pusher. Rotation of circular knives is performed at a speed of 4000 rpm The owners in the reviews note that starting the engine by accident will not work, this will require simultaneous pressing of two buttons.
Although this is a simple household chopper, but it got into the rating for several reasons at once. The technique has the lowest weight in categories – 11 kg. The device can be used as at home, and transporting in the trunk to relatives. It’s good An alternative to bonfires for autumn garden cleaning or garden cleaning. The model also has the narrowest distance between the wheels, which simplifies transportation along garden paths, 40 cm wide.
- motor overload protection;
- attractive price;
- there is a lock against accidental launch;
- The motor winding is double insulated.
- there is no grass catcher in the kit;
- unstable design when loading long branches;
- It is intended only for fresh shoots.
The best gasoline wood shredders
Gasoline shredders are much more powerful than their electric “brothers”, which expands the possibilities for their time of use and the thickness of the breakable branches. It also allows you to transport them and apply in all areas, regardless of the availability of food. it it is favorable when clearing the area under construction, garbage collection after felling trees in a residential quarter. But they work louder and smoke is emitted into the atmosphere. More gasoline units require oil change service. They weigh more, and so transporting equipment may require a walk-behind tractor or a car.
MTD Rover 464 Q 7.5 KM
The first place in the rating we gave to the American chopper professional class. The device is made entirely of metal and equipped with a 2.5 liter gasoline engine. Powertrain It has a four-stroke operation scheme and is easy to maintain. The owners in reviews they say that they operate the chopper even in winter, but only need to fill in the appropriate oil, designed for negative temperatures (5W30). The fuel tank holds 3.8 liters and It consumes about 1.7 liters per hour. Gardening equipment equipped with large a bunker that easily holds even long logs of 2 m.
According to our experts, the chopper is worthy of the first place in rating due to its increased power of 7.5 hp It allows him cope with branches up to 75 mm thick, and buyers in reviews report that he “chews” and is 80 mm in diameter. Another advantage models is work for 9 hours non-stop, not causing harm to internal combustion engine and equipment.
- 90 liter container;
- wide loading funnel;
- four-stroke engine does not require mixing fuel with oil;
- assembly directly in the USA.
- weight of 75 kg is heavy for manual transportation;
- high price;
- no instructions in Russian;
- strong recoil in the hand is felt when cutting short branches from 100 cm
CHAMPION SC6448 6.5 KM
The second place ranking is domestic gasoline a chopper that costs half the size of an American but the price still remains high. The unit is made in vertical case and is completely constructed of metal. Weighs design 72 kg, but the chopper is stable, and large branches will not hurt apparatus. Torque to the cutter transfers four-stroke 2.0 liter engine A 3.1 tank is installed in the fuel system l, which is enough for almost 3 hours of work. The chopper has wide wheels with a tractor protector providing easy transportation in the garden area. The maximum section grinded branches is 50 mm.
Experts put the product in the rating due to two receptions openings for enhanced usability. The top hopper has a large diameter, so it’s quite easy to fill leaves and twigs, you can straight from the bucket. For thick branches, a pipe with rubber is provided chippers. It is located at the bottom of the device, so do not you need to raise your arms high.
- comfortable start with electric starter;
- full metal casing;
- a large receiving container of 85 l;
- develops revolutions up to 3600 per minute.
- weighs 72 kg;
- high price;
- structurally unsuitable for transportation by car or walk-behind tractor as a trailer.
Viking GB 370 4.5 KM
The third place ranking is awarded to the Austrian model with an engine 4.5 h.p. The chopper is able to destroy branches with a diameter of 45 mm. The product has an L-shaped frame and a vertical hopper for loading. Thanks to it excellent stability during the work remains. The Multi-Cut knife system rotates blades at a speed of 3000 rpm. The unit weighs 45 kg, which is much lighter than competitors. But the wheels have it is thinner and it is more difficult to roll garden equipment over soft soil. To start the engine, you need to pull the manual drive on the side. it excludes accidental inclusion, but requires effort at the start. The chopper is not equipped with a receiving tank and must be purchased extra bags.
We added the product to the ranking of the best, as the most compact in categories that are convenient for storage or work on a limited space (for example in a small courtyard). Vertical configuration with a height of 140 cm fits easily under the stairs or in barn. In reviews, users praise the model for fine grinding, long 10-30 mm.
- 2 year manufacturer’s warranty;
- Austrian assembly;
- Multi-Cut 350 knife system;
- good stability due to the wide chassis.
- manual engine start;
- high price;
- the motor is not covered by anything and is located next to the funnel branches on it);
- no collection container.
PATRIOT PT SB76 6.5 KM
The fourth place in the ranking belongs to the American brand. The garden shredder is powered by a four-stroke engine, 6.5 hp The product belongs to the professional class and cuts branches with a diameter of 75 mm. Compared to European counterparts The price of the grinder is much more affordable. This is due to the configuration motor from the Chinese company Lifan. But judging by the reviews, power the installation is pretty tenacious. The device starts up is also easy, but in depending on humidity and air pressure you have to “play” carburetor flap. Model weighs 70 kg and is made of thick gland. The fuel tank holds 3.6 liters of fuel.
The product was rated due to the wide top funnel where you can heaped heaps of tops of potatoes, tomatoes, small branches. it significantly saves time. Thick logs are served in a separate channel below. Even at maximum branch diameter chopper do not fall. This model also has the ability attached to the towbar of the car, so transportation to distant distance is simplified.
- powerful wheels with pumped air;
- four stroke engine;
- diameter of splitting branches 75 mm;
- thick metal construction;
- easy to start.
- no receiving capacity;
- weighs 70 kg;
- loud work;
- Chinese gasoline engine Lifan.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.