Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
Studying in Germany is attractive to citizens of other countries for many reasons. This is the highest level of education, and minimum costs, and ample opportunities that open after receiving a diploma. Universities in this country are relatively few – just over a hundred, and almost all educational institutions provide good training of specialists. However, the best are among the best. We have selected 12 universities, which in a number of indicators outperform other educational institutions. These are not only high places in ratings, including international, but additional options, Highlighting the university among the rest.
- Rating of the best universities in Germany
- Munich University of Technology (TUM)
- Institute of Technology Karlsruhe
- Rhine-Westphalian University of Technology Aachen
- University of Mannheim
- Humboldt University of Berlin (HU)
- Berlin Free University (FU)
- Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich
- University of Cologne
- Technical University of Dresden
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe Frankfurt University
- Technical University of Berlin
- Kaiser Wilhelm II University of Westphalia Munster
Rating of the best universities in Germany
|Nomination||a place||university name||the cost of undergraduate per year|
|Rating of the best universities in Germany||1||Munich University of Technology (TUM)||128 $|
|2||Institute of Technology Karlsruhe||$ 3,200|
|3||Rhine-Westphalian University of Technology Aachen||540 $|
|4||University of Mannheim||$ 1,000|
|5||Humboldt University of Berlin (HU)||663 $|
|6||Berlin Free University (FU)||661 $|
|7||Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich||241 $|
|8||University of Cologne||540 $|
|9||Technical University of Dresden||258 $|
|10||Johann Wolfgang Goethe Frankfurt University||554 $|
|11||Technical University of Berlin||663 $|
|12||Kaiser Wilhelm II University of Westphalia Munster||575 $|
Munich University of Technology (TUM)
Munich University of Technology (TUM) is one of the most prestigious higher education institutions in Germany. This university takes high places in ratings among German technical universities and is steadily gaining international recognition level.
Founded in 1868, Technical University of Munich earned an excellent reputation both in academia and among students. The latter is confirmed by numerous positive reviews on Meine uni website, where students evaluate universities for various parameters. According to students, this is one of the best universities in Germany by level of teaching. However, this is not surprising, because Munich Technical University focuses not only on training in technical specialties, as well as on development business thinking. As a result, graduates are not only demanded by technical specialists, but also successful businessmen who know how to monetize in the best way knowledge gained at TUM.
- High quality education (six among graduates Nobel laureates, founder of Siemens, chairman of the board BMW and other famous personalities in the world of science and business).
- Large selection of training courses (132 programs, of which 29 taught in English).
- Low tuition costs (no tuition fees, but administrative fees do not exceed 300 Euro per semester).
- Availability of scholarships for foreigners on some programs.
- Upon admission to the magistracy, it is impossible to change direction – a bachelor’s degree is required exclusively for the chosen specialties.
- A limited number of places in dormitories.
Institute of Technology Karlsruhe
This university is one of the oldest technical educational institutions in Europe. Age “palm” he is second only Polytechnic universities of Prague, Paris and Vienna. Activity he started back in 1825. Among prominent graduates – auto-inventor Karl Benz, Heinrich Hertz, who discovered electromagnetic waves, Edward Teller, who created the hydrogen bomb in the United States.
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is now the union of the university and the research center. At 11 More than 25 thousand students are studying at the faculties, including about 15% from other countries. There are also many teachers representatives of other states
The university is listed in TU 9 (list of nine best technical educational German institutions) and is included in the list of 100 best European universities.
- Highest level of training in a number of disciplines (engineering, physics, chemistry, computer science, etc.).
- Promotion of student projects.
- Focus on practical activities and the possibility of obtaining skills based on various enterprises and organizations.
- Active participation in international exchange programs.
- There is a bachelor’s program in English.
- Tuition for international students (about 3000 Euro / year plus administrative fees).
- Testing for admission to some specialties.
Rhine-Westphalian University of Technology Aachen
The Rhine-Westphalian Technical University of Aachen – another representative of the prestigious nine TU9. At 10 faculties of this university About 30 thousand students study. About 20% of them are foreigners from all over the world – student geography RWTH Aachen University covers 130 countries.
The list of famous students includes not only Nobel laureates and outstanding entrepreneur, but also high-ranking politicians like, for example, the former president of Indonesia, the prime minister of Turkey, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan.
Although the university has humanitarian areas, but their promotion is not is a priority. First of all, attention is concentrated in the most popular industrial specialties, electrical engineering, information technology.
- Free tuition for international students (only payable administrative fee of about 260 Euro / semester).
- The ability to acquire practical skills due to close University ties with enterprises.
- Huge selection of specialties (almost 100).
- Scholarship programs (university and from various funds.
- The complex structure of the institution, including many units.
- No undergraduate programs in English. Also limited the number of English-language programs in the magistracy.
University of Mannheim
Founded in 1967, the University of Mannheim for pretty short period managed to become one of the best educational institutions economic direction not only Germany, but also Europe. Although in University a fairly extensive list of specialties (history, psychology, politics, philosophy, mathematics, philology, etc.), but It is in the field of economics that this university has become a leader and confidently competes with Bonn University – another leader in sulfur economic education.
The educational institution is popular among foreign students. The number of students from other countries is from 15% to 18%. Interest in this university is not only caused by a high level of teaching, but also triple accreditation. This makes it possible to get double diploma while studying at partner universities (Bocconi University, Queen`s University, University of South Carolina).
- High level of education – the university is included in the TOP 50 the best universities in Europe.
- The provision of a large number of scholarships (state, from funds, for orphans, etc.)
- There are many English-language programs in the magistracy.
- University and campus are considered the most beautiful in Germany in terms of architecture. Most university buildings located in Mannheim Palace, built in 1760
- There are many international programs and students have the opportunity to go to study in other countries, in parallel get another university’s diploma.
- Among the bachelor’s programs, modern English linguistics and literary studies can be studied in English.
- High competition for most specialties.
- Tuition for foreign students is paid (about 3000 Euro / year).
Humboldt University of Berlin (HU)
The Humboldt University of Berlin (HU) is one of the most famous German educational institutions, well known far beyond outside the country. More than 200 years of university history survived many events, including tragic, such as burning of the library during the reign of Hitler. But glorious pages are much larger. 29 professors at different times became Nobel laureates. Among graduates – such outstanding personalities like Einstein, Heine, Bismarck, Feuerbach, Koch, Marx, Mendelssohn.
Now more than 30 thousand students study at the university. IN institution structure – the world famous Charite, including Faculty of Medicine, Research Center and Clinic. With a relatively small number of faculties, here you can get professions in 190 specialties.
- The university is included in the top five universities in Germany (4th place) and occupies the 16th position among the best universities in Europe. Also enter TOP 100 of the best universities in the world.
- The possibility of internships at many partner universities, among which are universities in Toronto, Queensland, Princeton, Waseda.
- Free tuition (pay only administrative fee).
- A special program has been developed for foreign students guardianship.
- The international orientation of the institution.
- Double Degree Programs.
- Grants and scholarship programs are exclusively for graduate, doctoral and postdoctoral students.
- No undergraduate programs in English.
Berlin Free University (FU)
This is the largest university in the capital of Germany, which even the Humboldt University is ahead of the number of students. Founded only in the middle of the 20th century (1948), FU to this of time has become the largest center of science and humanities not only in Germany but also in Europe, as evidenced by high places in various ratings. Among the famous graduates – five Nobel laureates, writers, philosophers, political figures.
From the moment of creation, the university declared the principles of freedom, contrasting himself with the non-free communist world and the educational institutions that were controlled by the communist to the government. These principles of freedom were reflected in the model. management under which students receive wide credentials.
Free University has become the main unit of Dahlem – Berlin area with numerous research institutes that are called “German Oxford.”
- High university ranking (5th in Germany and 23rd in Pan-European TOP).
- International atmosphere – up to 20% of students come from other countries.
- Mentorship programs for international students.
- Free tuition (paid only for administrative contributions).
- The ability to combine academic disciplines.
- Large selection of specialties (over 170), among which are quite rare – sinology, Judaism, Byzantinism, etc.
- Extensive international relations.
- The complex structure of the university.
- According to students, practical exercises are not enough – most of the courses are theory.
- Only one undergraduate program in English, and English-language master’s programs predominantly medical directions and in the field of international specializations.
- Upon admission to master’s specialties are nominated additional language proficiency requirements for most specialties.
Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich
The oldest Bavarian university was founded in 1472. By according to the founders, the university was to become an elite educational institution for the nobility. Named the institution in honor of the founder – Duke Ludwig IX, as well as King Maximilian I of Bavaria, who freed the university from church jurisdiction and made its secular. But “secularism” did not at all prevent elitism. On the throughout history, this university was considered one of the most powerful and privileged educational institutions in Germany. Studied here kings and presidents, famous philosophers and writers, economists and politicians.
Today LMU is one of the largest training centers not only Germany, but throughout Europe. At 20 faculties studying more than 50 thousand students. For magazine research results Spiegel, German professor considers University of Munich Ludwig-Maximilian best training institution physicians, biologists, psychologists and historians.
- The university has the highest places in ratings: No. 1 in ranking of German universities, No. 9 in the European ranking, and 30th place – in the world.
- Excellent scholarship programs, including scholarships from the fund them. Humboldt (in their number, the university ranks first a place).
- Large selection of specialties (more than 150), with the possibility of their combinations.
- Free tuition for all, including international students (only administrative fee of 128 Euro / semester is paid).
- The teaching staff includes more than 700 professors.
- Close international relations with all major foreign universities, including the CIS countries.
- Very high competition.
- The admission of foreign students is limited to no more than 10%.
University of Cologne
One of the oldest educational institutions in Europe, the University of Cologne was founded in 1388. Soon the number of students exceeded thousand, and the university has become one of the largest in Europe. But through four centuries has come a black stripe: the school was closed due to unwillingness to submit to the French who captured Cologne. The rebirth, despite repeated attempts, only happened 120 years later.
Now it is the third largest university in Germany, in which nearly 50 thousand students study. There are only 6 faculties, but each of them is a special pride of the university. And although the most Faculty of Economics is considered strong in German and European ratings, but other branches are completely do not lag behind, such as architectural, part of the world TOP 50 The University of Cologne is also the largest forge. teaching staff not only in Germany but also in Europe
- Free training (only administrative payments are made – 263 Euro / semester).
- Support for young scientists, graduate students.
- Innovative programs.
- The possibility of obtaining a double diploma.
- Partnership agreements with many universities in other countries, international student exchange.
- An extensive list of specialties.
- Mentoring and assistance in adaptation.
- Lack of undergraduate programs in English.
- According to reviews, there may be too many students on seminar classes.
Technical University of Dresden
Technical University of Dresden – one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Germany. This is the largest polytechnic university, whose history is approaching two centuries, is included in TU9.
The university has 14 faculties. In addition to engineering and natural sciences, they study social and humanitarian science and medicine. This is the only university in Germany where you can study in absentia to study in the specialties “construction of civil objects” and “mechanical engineering”.
Considerable attention is paid to the leisure of students. IN the university operates a large sports center, including almost three hundred associations of various sports. In the territory There are two stadiums and many sports grounds. Also created all conditions for the development of talents in the field of art (student theater, orchestra, choir, dance ensemble).
- Education is free for everyone (only required semester fee 266 Euro).
- Various scholarship programs (short-term, for students working on diplomas, etc.)
- International Exchange Programs.
- Collaboration with large enterprises where students have the opportunity to take internships, and subsequently to get a job.
- Large selection of specialties.
- Compared to many other universities, a large number of places in dormitories (10 thousand beds in 30 dormitories).
- A small number of English-language programs that only for graduate courses.
- Relatively low percentage of international students (up to 13%).
Johann Wolfgang Goethe Frankfurt University
The official history of Frankfurt University. Goethe totals a little more than a hundred years (the year of foundation – 1914). But in fact, the university has existed since the end of the XV century. At the beginning of the XX century, educational the institution only received state university status. But as in those days, and now, the university is a significant measure sponsored by non-governmental organizations and private individuals, therefore, it is considered “folk.” A huge plus of this is academic freedom and opportunity independently, without coordination with Ministry of Education, select the number and topics of new research.
Today, this university is among the five largest and most powerful German universities, and in the TOP-150 European universities. With this educational institution associated 18 Nobel laureates and 11 laureates Leibnitz Prize. More than 45 thousand are studying at 16 faculties students, of which 16% are foreign citizens.
- Free training (you need to pay only the administration fee in amount 363 Euro / semester).
- International Summer School of Economics and Business Management.
- Close cooperation with private business.
- Scholarship programs and state grants for training.
- Innovative research in the field of medicine (general medicine and pharmacology have the highest rating).
- The high cost of paid master’s programs (for some specialties – up to 30 thousand Euro / year).
- The material base, according to students, requires updates.
Technical University of Berlin
Another representative of TU 9 – Technical University of Berlin – is one of the leaders not only in Germany but also in the world. it the largest educational research institution has a total 7 faculties. But behind this “minimalism” lies a huge number of educational programs, including humanitarian disciplines.
The university emphasizes both research (in structure – 40 research institutes) and in practice. Close company relations allow students to internship and quickly find work after graduation. According to statistics, most graduates find work in the first year after graduation from university.
A feature of the Technical University of Berlin is environmental focus. Course of Ecology and Environmental Issues environment is mandatory in almost all programs, and Studies are aimed at developing a green economy.
- One of the most respected universities not only in Germany, but throughout Of Europe.
- Many master’s programs in English.
- Some engineering programs are unique.
- The university has a campus in Egypt, on the banks of the Red seas.
- Students can get double degrees.
- Free tuition (only semester payment required contribution of 307 Euro).
- A large number of foreign students (up to 25%).
- International orientation – branched out student and teacher exchange partner network.
- Active collaboration with many corporations and enterprises.
- The university has a complex structure.
- No undergraduate programs in English.
Kaiser Wilhelm II University of Westphalia Munster
One of Germany’s oldest universities, Westphalian University of Münster today is one of the largest educational institutions in Germany. At 15 faculties study more than 40 thousand students. WWU Munster – among the leaders in the release of junior scientific staff. Every year they get a doctorate about 800 applicants.
The most powerful faculties are economics and law, which are in the top five among German universities in terms of teaching. The department also enjoys popularity among applicants. chemistry, occupying the 46th position in the world ranking. Branches mathematicians and physicists occupy the 101st and 151st positions, respectively “disciplinary” world ranking. The department also stands out medicine with a very wide range of studies.
- Active cooperation with universities in the UK, France, Canada as well as partnerships with over 400 training institutions around the world.
- Scholarships for students with the highest academic performance and other scholarship programs.
- Free tuition (only student fee paid – 267 Euro).
- There are two undergraduate programs in English.
- Students are offered a choice of 130 specialties, including and with double degree.
- The university has several museums of its own, two theaters, Botanical Garden.
- A small number of foreign students (about 6%).
- Compared to other universities, a limited number English-language master’s programs.
- A complex university structure involving many units.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.