Review of the best according to the editors. About the selection criteria. The the material is subjective, is not advertising and is not serves as a guide to the purchase. Before purchase is needed consultation with a specialist.
Wood is one of the common materials characterized by durability and relative flexibility. Boards and bars actively used to create load-bearing structures and floors, and small fenders and slats are well suited for wall protection, boxes and finishes. A tree in a building structure is capable of serve up to 30-50 years, subject to quality protection. For this use paints specially designed for wood. They protect swelling or overdrying of fibers, protect the structure of wood from fungus and parasites, and also give it attractive view. Our rating of the best wood paints has compiled popular products with positive customer reviews and good characteristics, which will help to make a competent choice.
- How to choose paint for wooden surfaces
- Rating of the best wood paints
- The best wood paint for interior use
- Tikkurila taika
- Parade Professional E7 Pro Latex7
- Tikkurila Euro Extra-20 Base C
- Dulux Ultra Resist for Baby Matte BW
- ID Pur Metal
- Tex Wagon paint washable
- The best wood paint for outdoor use
- Tikkurila Ultra Classic A
- Caparol Amphibolin BAS 1
- Dulux domus
- Parade Professional F70 Elastic
How to choose paint for wooden surfaces
Before considering the rating, we briefly recall the main criteria wood paint selection so that the information below is more understandable. So, a decorative coating for wooden surfaces are selected, taking into account the following parameters:
- Base paint. It happens acrylic, latex, alkyd, silicone. Affects odor, abrasion resistance, saturation colors and service life.
- Drying time. The drying time between layers is from 1 to 24 hours, which directly affects the construction and decoration work. Time after which it is allowed to walk on the cover (5-72 hours), affects when it will be possible to start use the room or use painted wood detail.
- Gloss degree. Paint for wood is divided into glossy and matte, as well as subspecies – semi-gloss and semi-gloss, which decorates the interior in its own way.
- Type of diluent. Water soluble paints diluted water. It is cheaper and does not create unpleasant odors during operation. Other types need dilution with a solvent (white spirit and etc.), so the process must be conducted in a well-ventilated area and have to spend extra.
- Application Method. Some products from our rating universal in application (spray, sponge, brush, roller), and others can only be applied in a specific way.
- Hiding power. With 1 liter of paint you can paint over 4 up to 14 m2 of wooden surface, which affects consumption and spent facilities.
- Application temperature. To ensure optimal penetration into wood and adhesion to the base, each product has its own minimum temperature for application. It can be from +5 to + 10 degrees, which affects the ability to stain objects in autumn-winter period in a situation where there is no heating.
- Resistance to mechanical stress. Manufacturers paint on wood with different abrasion resistance. For floors, railings, stairs and window sills need high durability. Fences, furniture, boxes, pediments can be painted less persistent compounds.
More wood paints are subdivided for exterior and interior works, so our rating is divided into just such categories.
Rating of the best wood paints
|Nomination||a place||Name of product||price per liter|
|The best wood paint for interior use||1||Tikkurila taika||1 419 rub.|
|2||Parade Professional E7 Pro Latex7||400 rub|
|3||Tikkurila Euro Extra-20 Base C||679 rub|
|4||Dulux Ultra Resist for Baby Matte BW||840 rub|
|5||ID Pur Metal||2 250 rub.|
|6||Tex Wagon paint washable||120 rub|
|The best wood paint for outdoor use||1||Tikkurila Ultra Classic A||1 200 rub.|
|2||Caparol Amphibolin BAS 1||790 rub|
|3||Dulux domus||600 rub|
|4||Parade Professional F70 Elastic||720 rub|
The best wood paint for interior use
Such paints are with a diverse base and are suitable for painting the floor, stairs, indoor windows, tables, chairs, walls and other wooden objects. Some species are designed even high moisture, therefore suitable for bathrooms and saunas. But such products do not have weather resistance, therefore outside the house they are not recommended.
In the first place in the ranking is a product from a Finnish manufacturer. The substance has an acrylate base and forms a durable crack resistant or wrinkled top coat. Means It has a special brilliance that increases the brightness of the shade. Users in reviews like that painted surfaces can wash with water and they do not wear off for a long time from this. Manufacturer declares that the coating is designed for 5000 passes with a wet brush. It is allowed to apply the substance in any way, but in case of At least 1.8 mm nozzle must be used.
This wood paint is rated among the best by our experts. due to the realistic effect of the metal. The product is released in two options: golden and silver with notes of nacre. Both options after drying give the wood a look of steel, visually increasing the massiveness of the structure. In case of golden paint the coating looks richer. We recommend products for painting frames, hangers and racks made of wood.
- suitable for creating an exotic oriental style in the room;
- diluted with plain water;
- suitable for application to old alkyd layers or catalytic paint;
- resistant to wet cleaning.
- type of packaging – 0.9 or 2.7 l;
- high price;
- the appearance of the finished coating is greatly affected by lighting;
- consumption of 6-8 m2 per liter.
Parade Professional E7 Pro Latex7
In second place is the product with a basis on water and acrylic polymer. You can also dilute the product with water, which reduces the cost of the cooking process. After drying, forms silky matte layer. Paint is produced in base A (white) and additional bases for tinting. You can paint a tree with temperature from +12 to +35 degrees. Users like to reviews that the product does not deteriorate when stored with negative temperatures and shelf life is 3 years. You can stain wood and particle board materials. Fit goods for rolled decoration materials.
We added paint to the rating as drying between layers it is only 2 hours. As long and complete drying out, so painting does not take much time. Dry the coating can even with air humidity up to 80%. More masters in reviews note its economical consumption – from 12 to 14 m2 in one liter.
- suitable for all types of wood and derivatives (particleboard, fiberboard, MDF);
- can be diluted with water up to 10% by weight;
- economical consumption;
- suitable for spray guns and roller painting;
- does not deteriorate when frozen in a jar.
- there is no finished color other than white – you need to tint on the bases (DB, C);
- before applying it is recommended to treat the surface with acrylic primer;
- can not be used at temperatures below +12 degrees.
Tikkurila Euro Extra-20 Base C
In third place in the ranking is again a product from a Finnish company. This time a product with a water-dispersed base, different increased resistance to water and friction. The manufacturer declares that a painted tree can maintain an attractive appearance for a long time despite intensive washing with detergents. It promotes and removing stains left after cooking. Coating rated for 10,000 brush passes during cleaning. Substance has semi-gloss shine. Painting can be done with a roller, spray gun or brush. With a humidity of 65% between layers will have to wait up to 4 hours.
We put the paint in the rating, because it is especially resistant to humid environment. The manufacturer recommends using it in bathrooms. rooms or kitchen for painting walls or ceilings made of wood. The substance permeates the structure of the material well and protects it from mold or swelling. Buyers in reviews like that regularly boiling kettle or a double boiler do not leave yellow on it traces.
- release in containers from 0.9 to 9.0 l;
- neutral smell;
- diluted with water;
- recommended for children and medical facilities.
- high price;
- only white and colorless – for other tones you need tinting;
- abrasion resistance is achieved after 4 weeks – before that Do not wash wooden surfaces.
Dulux Ultra Resist for Baby Matte BW
In fourth place in the ranking is a product from a German company. Waterborne paint is great for wood thanks to deep penetration into the structure and has a high margin of safety compared to other species. The logo proudly flaunts on the container in as a green leaf confirming environmental cleanliness substances. Masters note in the reviews easy application of decorative a layer that does not leave sagging when properly diluted. Is stored the product is 4 years old, so you can prepare for the repair in advance and not worry that the paint will lose its properties.
As the name implies, the main purpose of the paint is wooden surfaces in children’s rooms. For this, the manufacturer added wax to its composition, making the outer layer more resistant to exposure to dirt and water. It is convenient for cleaning and storage. attractive appearance. Silver ions are also added to the product, preventing the growth of bacteria in the children’s room, for which product and is rated in the best.
- environmentally friendly;
- easy to clean and does not attract dirt;
- can be purchased in packaging of 2.5 or 5 liters;
- no smell.
- in finished form only white;
- the wooden surface must be completely cleaned;
- the brush should be with a synthetic pile.
ID Pur Metal
At this place in the ranking is the domestic product a manufacturer trying to replicate a metallic luster effect, as with imported analogues. Company succeeded and paint on wood It looks like steel with a moderate sheen. The product is suitable for applied to wood, and the optimal effect is achieved by two in layers. On most types of wooden surfaces it can be spray without preparation what customers like in reviews. But to achieve maximum metallic luster the manufacturer recommends using a short pile roller and make movements crosswise.
We marked this paint as one of the most original in the decoration surfaces in the house. In addition to the metallic effect, it can be created visually velvety structure. For this, the product is mixed with Perle de Soie 200 ml, mixed and applied with a wide brush. Here cross movements will also be required. This is a great way. decorate a wall of wood in a frame house or building of log house.
- easy application in any way;
- interlayer drying 4 hours;
- To paint with a spray gun, dilution with water is allowed to 500 ml per can;
- supports the creation of various visual effects.
- very high cost;
- uncomfortable rectangular container without a handle;
- tanning wood needs to be processed before application;
- one type of packaging – 2 liters.
Tex Wagon paint washable
In last place ranking paint from domestic manufacturer, made on a water-dispersed basis. After The substance becomes deep mat when it dries and looks great. The company claims that wood stained with this product retains ability to “breathe”, which is useful for rooms with excess steam release. Users in reviews note quick drying layer – 1.5 hours, accelerating the overall application process. Given water resistance level will be reached after 14 days. Produced the product is in white and sold to create shades tinting pastes.
In our opinion, the product for painting wood should be in rating due to affordable price, ten times cheaper than Finnish products. In this case, the coloring composition is allowed to be used in Wet areas and wash with a sponge. The tool has a 3rd grade resistance to thorns. Matte coating resistant to formation mold and mildew development. If the bath or kitchen in the house is finished wood, then this is the cheapest option of protective treatment, instead varnish.
- the most affordable price in the rating category;
- convenient packaging from 1.5 to 14 kg;
- recommended for hospitals;
- diluted with water;
- density 1.5-1.6 kg / l.
- immediately ready for use only in white;
- high consumption of 4-7 m2 from 1 liter;
- can not be stored at temperatures below +5 degrees.
The best wood paint for outdoor use
The tree is actively used for sheathing pediments, hemming baskets, creating wind boards, fences and gates. Often from the boards make doors of utility rooms on the street, stairs and railings. To protect the material, special paint is used, designed for use at low temperatures and exposure to the atmosphere. Here are the top rated products in this categories.
Tikkurila Ultra Classic A
In the first place of the rating is paint from a Finnish company, developed on a polyacrylate basis. Masters in reviews share, that the decorative layer is easily applied with a roller or brush, and after Drying well resists UV exposure. Semi-gloss shine effectively hides fingerprints on surface. On the packaging proudly flaunts the sign “Scandinavian swan, “meaning the product is environmentally friendly. Sprayable spray gun with a nozzle of 0.4-0.5 mm. Substance is different density 1.3 kg / l. In terms of heat resistance, it is suitable even for industrial environment.
In our opinion, the product should be rated as the most resistant to freezing temperatures. Manufacturer recommends its for northern climate due to high weather resistant properties. Using polyacrylate binders, the paint will keep bright shine and does not crack when naturally dried wood during outdoor use.
- packaging 0.9-9.0 l;
- environmentally friendly;
- can be applied to previously painted wooden surfaces;
- diluted with water up to 10%;
- interlayer drying – 2-4 hours.
- high price;
- weak covering ability – from 1 liter it will turn out paint 4-7 m2;
- in liquid form, it is required to protect from frost during storage.
Caparol Amphibolin BAS 1
In second place in the ranking is goods from German company. Facade paint for wood is available without solvent and has high adhesion to the base. The substance is designed for maximum protection of wood from environmental influences. The manufacturer offers packaging in 2.5, 5, 9.4 and 10 kg. At the development added specific elements for light reflection, therefore, it is suitable for exterior decoration of parking at a multi-level parking or basement unheated premises, warehouses. The users in the reviews like the resistance to storm rain and the first class of resistance to wet abrasion.
And our experts rated the paint as the best in the rating by preservation of integrity to deformations of a tree. Depending on the temperature and moisture levels of the board may expand, dry out or get out, but the decorative coating remains intact and not cracking.
- recommended for schools, hospitals, kindergartens and parking lots;
- reflects light;
- almost no smell;
- does not contain solvent;
- does not turn yellow over time.
- high price;
- in finished form only white or colorless;
- poorly hides the imperfections of the relief of a wooden surface (thin layer).
At this position in the ranking is another product from another German leader in paint formulations. The company developed paint for oil-based alkyd-based wood to increase atmospheric protection impacts. Implemented coating in containers from 1 to 10 kg. it happens white and transparent, and after drying becomes semi-gloss view. Wood should have a moisture content of not more than 18% for optimal sticking paint. It is best to use a roller or brush. The product is suitable for external use on arbors, frames, doors, fences and flagpoles.
We marked paint as the best in the rating for new or sawn wood. A clean planed tree absorbs moisture well, and this the product provides sufficient penetration into the structure for adhesion and at the same time oil “seals” the top layer, preventing excessive consumption of decorative coatings.
- no pungent odor;
- can be applied on old layers or a clean tree;
- stored for three years;
- it is allowed to paint at air humidity up to 80%.
- the tree does not let air through;
- Recommended with Domus Base primer, which increases expenses;
- need to be diluted with a solvent.
Parade Professional F70 Elastic
Another good tool for exterior wood is This paint is added to the name of the word Elastic. Acrylic water-based polymer has increased ductility and effectively hides cracks. The composition added titanium dioxide, calcite and active substances that promote increased strength. The rubber coating is perfectly washable, which is pleasant to the owners in reviews. The product is odorless, since it is not completely contains solvents. Staining is allowed on already processed wood containing old layers of paint. Allows you to create a single view on the facade, because it holds well not only on the tree, but also brick, concrete.
Our experts liked the paint because of its elasticity, for which hit the rating. Decorative coating can stretch to 200% of the original length, which is convenient for cracking wood (beams, supports, boards) – visually everything is outside will remain intact.
- dirt-repellent ability;
- can be operated at a temperature of -40 degrees;
- resistance to UV rays;
- vapor permeable;
- without smell.
- it is difficult to tint to get the same shades;
- high price;
- it is possible to paint a tree only at a temperature of +10;
- for best effect, three layers are recommended.
Attention! This rating is subjective, is not advertising and does not serve as a guide to the purchase. Before the purchase consultation with a specialist is necessary.